ToonyCam Pro: Toon renders, anyone? :) [Commercial] [Contest]

Comments

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited February 2014

zigraphix said:
    bad4u said:
    Ahh, my guesses .. maybe ..

Camera Magic: ToonStyleCam
    Camera Magic: ToonyProCam (or ToonyCamPro)

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

The new product will be called "ToonyCam Pro." :)

(Unless I suddenly change my mind and go for ToonStyleCam Pro, which is also somewhat appealing....)

Congratulations! Would you prefer an advance copy today, or wait until it hits the store and get an "official" purchase version (so you can download it again later if you lose it)?

WOOOOOT ! Awesome ! That's a kind of (camera) magic :ohh:

What a great surprise ! Thank you very much, definitely comes in very handy.

Although it is tempting me trying this asap, I'd prefer to wait for release version then, if that means it would be stored in my account. I just found out how useful DIM is when setting up my new PC and being on the safe side when re-downloading is worth some waiting ;)

Again - thanks a lot and good luck with another great product !

Post edited by bad4u on
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Here's a render just for fun! :)

(I tend to think in terms of manga and anime, but I like a fun toon picture occasionally, as well.)

07-toonPhoenix.jpg
    500 x 650 - 337K
    edited December 1969

I guess it is still okay to post the render that I made for the contest ? Not an entry as I'm already lucky winner from guessing the name. I'll add a second version rendered with the new toony cam when it has been released later.

And as I already had the max. 50 words explanation why I need the cams too - here it is ;)

I need ToonyCam Pro for this render,
    because without - the great pretender!
    Now all my toons look realistic,
    with ToonyCam Pro far more artistic,
    so that everyone could see,
    how great a toony world would be!

^^

toony_003.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 954K
    edited December 1969

bad4u said:
    I guess it is still okay to post the render that I made for the contest ? Not an entry as I'm already lucky winner from guessing the name. I'll add a second version rendered with the new toony cam when it has been released later.

And as I already had the max. 50 words explanation why I need the cams too - here it is ;)

I need ToonyCam Pro for this render,
    because without - the great pretender!
    Now all my toons look realistic,
    with ToonyCam Pro far more artistic,
    so that everyone could see,
    how great a toony world would be!

^^

Cute! :lol:

A simple render...

lenore.jpg
    500 x 650 - 86K
    edited December 1969

AntFarm's Lenore.... :)

lenore-toon.jpg
    500 x 650 - 182K
  • hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

I wasn't sure I'd get this done in time. This is definitely a camera I'm picking up regardless. I need a Toonycam Pro for many reasons, but Mousie's exploits would be more fun in a toon!

Nutcracker Revised
    Halfway through the Nutcracker season, The Mouse King decided he was sick of never getting the girl. Time to take matters into his own paws!

Nutcracker_revised.jpg
    985 x 788 - 132K
    edited December 1969

Hee hee hee... that's great. :lol:

Last day of the contest, everyone!

Another "pretty" render from me... this one uses Draagonstorm's "Let It Snow" shader. I did hide parts of Merlin's Teagarden as well, but for the most part, the surfaces are unedited. Two lights, a main "sun" light and a 25% fill light.

YukiNoKitsune2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 739K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,706
    edited December 1969

What time does the contest finish?

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

- Deadline: Friday, February 14, 2014, midnight DAZ time

edited December 1969

would this guy count as a toon?

staringandroid.jpg
    1010 x 922 - 125K
  • BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
    edited December 1969

I have my own way of sorta tooning. I do it at around the 1:50 mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzfN2r_ATPs

edited February 2014

would this guy count as a toon?

No problem, I think.

You can use any content you like, you just have to explain (in less than 50 words) why you think your render would look better with or benefit in some way from zigrafix' new toon camera - and if you win you are asked to re-render again the same image with your new toony cam then ;)

At least that's how I understand the rules.

So throw in some more renders all you people and maximize your chances, but hurry, only few more hours to go ^^

Post edited by bad4u on
    edited December 1969

actually I really only have till about ten pm eastern time zone as that is my bed time. I feel like taking a nap right now but I want to work on another render or two for this contest.

Here is a render of three droids. I am working on a similar render right now but it is taking forever.

I want this product so that this render will just get the pop it needs.

droidmeeting.jpg
    1010 x 922 - 247K
    edited December 1969

here is the render that took about half an hour or so to render.

This would make a cool toon render and maybe the toon render would take less time.

droidmeetingfinal.jpg
    1010 x 922 - 584K
    edited December 1969

here is the render that took about half an hour or so to render.

This would make a cool toon render and maybe the toon render would take less time.

If that render is taking half an hour, it may be because you're using raytraced reflections on the white robot. You could try using a different setting on reflections to speed things up.

In any case, ToonyCam wouldn't make it render any more quickly, since the rest of your scene has to render and then ToonyCam does additional processing to give you the toon look....

edited December 1969

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

This was done in two layers, for a visual novel I'm working on with a friend. Jyunko, the foreground character, has a lot of custom Visual Style shader work, but the background is really just ToonyCam on ordinary textures.

About 4 more hours to the end of the contest!

classroom-afternoon-toonycam-outlines.jpg
    800 x 600 - 154K
  • GopherusGopherus Posts: 1,103
    edited December 1969

Try this one....

"My poor complexion is such a fright,
    Only toonyCam can make it a pure delight!
    If I had had toonyCam, I'd be a starlet still,
    And I'd be ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille"

closeup001.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 731K
  • fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

I would love to win ToonyCam so this beast will have something new to howl at

Howl.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 2M
  • Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

If I'd seen this earlier, I would have put something together for posting. Rats... :-S

But here's a link to my DAZ Gallery image where I used some of the shaders from the Supersuit set to make this toon render of a superhero I'd made: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/16691/

I've been doing toon renders for years and the ability to make a toon image with the existing shaders is great. If I could, I'd try it out with the LAMH shader, but my PC gets really grumpy whenever I try to use LAMH.

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    I'm in love with that 3rd image, as it's very anime-esque. Bright and colourful and ripe for playing with. So, is this upcoming product a new type of camera or is it a shader set?

Edit: Also, what's that outfit HItomi is wearing?

It's a camera that can be used with whatever shaders you want. :)

The second and third images show the camera being used with BishounenTaurus' Manga Style and Visual Style shaders, respectively. But the camera will create a toon cell look on any scene, with built-in outlines.

Hitomi is wearing this outfit: http://www.daz3d.com/anime-school-girl-uniform
    Hiro is wearing http://www.daz3d.com/japanese-school-uniforms-for-boys

So will the new plug-in allow for outlines? I've been using the freebie and trying to get it to work with the GeoShell Outline setup that Bishounen Taurus offered. I think I was able to get it to work with the image I linked to before even though it was very faint. I think you can see it at the intersection of the mask and the face.

Might the outlining be selectable? By that I mean, can you set some items to be outlined while others are not? I wanted to try for a classic cartoon look like Scooby-Doo where the main figures have outlines but the backgrounds do not. (Heck, even a 3D CGI show like Handy Manny duplicates that kind of look.)

edited December 1969

SmallFry said:

So will the new plug-in allow for outlines? I've been using the freebie and trying to get it to work with the GeoShell Outline setup that Bishounen Taurus offered. I think I was able to get it to work with the image I linked to before even though it was very faint. I think you can see it at the intersection of the mask and the face.

Might the outlining be selectable? By that I mean, can you set some items to be outlined while others are not? I wanted to try for a classic cartoon look like Scooby-Doo where the main figures have outlines but the backgrounds do not. (Heck, even a 3D CGI show like Handy Manny duplicates that kind of look.)

The main difference between this product and the freebie version is that this product provides outlines in the render. Because it's a camera, it will process everything in the scene. However, there are two ways to get the effect you are talking about (which we see in anime as well).

First, you can use the same method that was used in those cartoons, i.e. render your foreground with outlines as a png, then render your background with no outlines, and combine the two images as layers in an image editor. The png format preserves transparency. I used this method on the Valentine's Day image above, even though in my case both foreground and background have outlines.

The second method is to manually edit the OutlineID value of the items in the background so they are all the same, and then make sure the foreground items have a different OutlineID. You can do this in the Surfaces tab in DS. (OutlineID is a new surface parameter that is created when you use the render setup script included with the camera.) The camera provides three different methods of determining outlines: by OutlineID, by surface normal direction, and by differences in depth. For this method, you use only the OutlineIDs, and turn off the other two methods.

edited December 1969

Is the contest over?

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    SmallFry said:

The main difference between this product and the freebie version is that this product provides outlines in the render. Because it's a camera, it will process everything in the scene. However, there are two ways to get the effect you are talking about (which we see in anime as well).

First, you can use the same method that was used in those cartoons, i.e. render your foreground with outlines as a png, then render your background with no outlines, and combine the two images as layers in an image editor. The png format preserves transparency. I used this method on the Valentine's Day image above, even though in my case both foreground and background have outlines.

The second method is to manually edit the OutlineID value of the items in the background so they are all the same, and then make sure the foreground items have a different OutlineID. You can do this in the Surfaces tab in DS. (OutlineID is a new surface parameter that is created when you use the render setup script included with the camera.) The camera provides three different methods of determining outlines: by OutlineID, by surface normal direction, and by differences in depth. For this method, you use only the OutlineIDs, and turn off the other two methods.

Oh, that OutlineID parameter sounds like it will be very good. Will it allow for different color outtines? Also, any chance for presets with the set? That might make it easier to implement.

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

This was done in two layers, for a visual novel I'm working on with a friend. Jyunko, the foreground character, has a lot of custom Visual Style shader work, but the background is really just ToonyCam on ordinary textures.

About 4 more hours to the end of the contest!

That looks pretty cool. I like how the Visual Style shader can be used to give the main characters a different look. I should try this with the pwToon shader...

edited December 1969

Is the contest over?

Yes, the contest ended last night. I'll be announcing the winner later today or tomorrow. I'm checking on some honorable mention prizes. :)
  • fictionalbookshelffictionalbookshelf Posts: 837
    edited December 1969

Have I missed the announcement of the winner somewhere?

edited December 1969

No, sorry for the delay, still waiting to hear back from DAZ about something....

• amille12amille12 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Even though I have missed the contest, I would still like to find out when this program will be released. This looks awesome!

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    No, sorry for the delay, still waiting to hear back from DAZ about something....

Okay, thanks for letting us know.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Dang, I should've popped in sooner, but that might not be a bad thing because...well...JUST HURRY UP TOONYCAM!!!!! :D