This is not the thread you're looking for...

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,928

...nice "relaxing" beverages. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2020
    TJohn said:

I can't walk past a Bath and Body Works without choking and gagging from the stench. 

In big malls, (remember them?) the large department stores would often have an entrance to the mall interior and would place their perfumes, and other fragrant stuff just as you walk in.  50 feet of gag me with a spoon.no (*blech*)  I'd rush past that point.  Just what is it that makes scent so supposedly attractive?

When I worked at the Kennedy Space Center (45 years agosurprise) I rode a 9-passenger van that would make the 40 mile trip.  I have several stories of the characters I encountered on that van.  One is the 50-ish woman with too much makeup, pointy sparkly eyeglass rims, her hair two decades out of style and who, I swear, would swim in perfume.  As we pulled into the driveway to pick her up we could smell her before the door opened .  Yes, other passengers commented on it too, but nobody ever called her on it.  You could almost see the haze of stink surrounding her.  She ended up sitting next to me once.  I wanted to take a shower all day at work.sad

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,095

I got the audible book for midnight sun!  Now to see cost for the kindle book if it isn't too much!

I got the audible book for midnight sun!  Now to see cost for the kindle book if it isn't too much!

The method I was using to buy Amazon gift cards via Apple pay doesn't work so if I want the book I got to find my debit card.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,721

There is a guy who is close to me, and he memorized his debit card number. When we were at the checkout, he realized he didn't have the card and he just recited the number to the cashier. I found that rather astonishing.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,032
    edited October 2020
    NylonGirl said:

There is a guy who is close to me, and he memorized his debit card number. When we were at the checkout, he realized he didn't have the card and he just recited the number to the cashier. I found that rather astonishing.

I did that once at the service station buying petrol

I used to enter my full number into phone banking instead of the last 8 digits so remembered it, I had forgotten my card

funny thing, 15 years later that is STILL my phone banking number but I only do the last 8 digits now

I still remember it

but my card been replaced twice since after losing it so different number

I did use it at the bank this year to get cash out after I lost my card

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited October 2020

Practice, then repetition, is the key to remembering anything.  Every time you think the same thoughts, the stronger the neuron paths get in your brain.  I memorized the Periodic Chart of the Elements in 11th grade 56 years ago.  Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium.  Berillium, Boron, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Florine, Neon.  Sodium, Magnesium, Aluminum, Silicon, Phosphorus, Sulfur, Chlorine, Argon. Potassium, Calcium, Scandium, Titanium, Vanadium, Chromium, Magnesium, Iron, Cobalt, Nickel, Copper, Zinc, Gallium, Germanium, Arsenic, Selenium, Bromine, Krypton ...  all the way to Lawrencium at 103.  But they kept on finding new elements and I haven't kept up.frown  Yes, I was(am) a geek.  Stage actors remember vast tomes of words and actions.  Memory is amazing.smiley  But fickle! surprise  Like how to spell "Fluorine"blush

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,577

Many years ago, when I started at MIT, I didn't know that I needed to switch my drivers license from NY to Massachusetts.  I was in an accident -- a motorcycle driven by an off-duty cop crashed into my rental car.  This took place on the intersection next to the Police Station.  They would have loved to charge me with something, but the only thing I had done wrong was that I still had a NY drivers license.

I went back a week later to ask how he was doing.  They told me he didn't remember and wasn't going to remember what happened, which I assumed meant they were still aware that I hadn't done anything wrong.

Six years later I found out I was being sued.  Since it was a rental car, the rental agency provided a lawyer for me.  At the deposition, they asked me for the ID number of the NY license (which I had switched to MA immediately after the accident).  I told them it was six years ago, but I think it was M03230-07760-481978-62 (not the real number for security purposes, but that was the length of the number, which I had memorized).  My wife told me afterwards that the lawyer looked at her and broke into a huge grin at that point.  The only eyewitness couldn't even recall what day of the week it was.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Practice, then repetition, is the key to remembering anything.  Every time you think the same thoughts, the stronger the neuron paths get in your brain.  I memorized the Periodic Chart of the Elements in 11th grade 56 years ago.  Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium.  Berillium, Boron, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Florine, Neon.  Sodium, Magnesium, Aluminum, Silicon, Phosphorus, Sulfur, Chlorine, Argon. Potassium, Calcium, Scandium, Titanium, Vanadium, Chromium, Magnesium, Iron, Cobalt, Nickel, Copper, Zinc, Gallium, Germanium, Arsenic, Selenium, Bromine, Krypton ...  all the way to Lawrencium at 103.  But they kept on finding new elements and I haven't kept up.frown  Yes, I was(am) a geek.  Stage actors remember vast tomes of words and actions.  Memory is amazing.smiley  But fickle! surprise  Like how to spell "Fluorine"blush

But can you sing them?

This is not the life I'm looking for.  Apparently I'm evil incarnate that is assuming the Internet is not evil.

edited October 2020

This is not the life I'm looking for.  Apparently I'm evil incarnate that is assuming the Internet is not evil.

I really don't know all the reasons for your living situation 

but

your first and most important step in taking control of your life is establishing independence, you basically need accommodation you can afford and reliably pay for and food with a job that meets those needs.

this has to take priority over everything else you spend money on no exceptions, otherwise you get evicted end up homeless and starve.

I assume you are in your situation as your couldn't take care of yourself independently.

If I recall you were evicted from your rental for sanitary reasons.

This doesn't make you evil incarnate or anything, it just makes you careless and irresponsible and that is fixable.

BTW I cannot afford stuff like Netflix etc, thats a saving you can make and put money aside for other essential stuff right there!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,859

Thread A Stair was great dancer

One step at a time?

TJohn said:

But can you sing them?

..love that song.  I have that 10" LP. and the first one titled Songs By Tom Lehrer.  

We've all obviously fallen down the stairs.

Taoz said:

Thread A Stair was great dancer

One step at a time?

Or perhaps all of the steps at once.

I really don't know all the reasons for your living situation 

but

your first and most important step in taking control of your life is establishing independence, you basically need accommodation you can afford and reliably pay for and food with a job that meets those needs.

this has to take priority over everything else you spend money on no exceptions, otherwise you get evicted end up homeless and starve.

I assume you are in your situation as your couldn't take care of yourself independently.

If I recall you were evicted from your rental for sanitary reasons.

This doesn't make you evil incarnate or anything, it just makes you careless and irresponsible and that is fixable.

BTW I cannot afford stuff like Netflix etc, thats a saving you can make and put money aside for other essential stuff right there!

In the United States, there are some places where the rent amount is based on the income of the residents. So if your monthly income is $1 then I guess your rent would be $0.30.

...I am in one of those places, however my rent is 51% of my monthly income.  Should be 30% for people like myself but haven't seen that here for years. 

I think if I had read that 51% while walking, I may well have walked down all of the steps at once.

...yeah, it's brutal here in Portland for most workers and people like myself.   Average market level rent for a small 1 BR unit in most of the inner neighbourhoods is between 1,500$ - 1,700$, (more in the "ritzier" districts).  At the low end of the average it takes earning about 54,000$ a year for rent to be the recommended one third of your monthly income.  Even a room in a shared living situation is outrageous, averaging 700$ - 850$ a month + utility share for all the pleasures and drama of living with others in the same space and most tend to be out in the burbs.  After my last experience in such a place, I'm done with that.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,364
    NylonGirl said:

I think if I had read that 51% while walking, I may well have walked down all of the steps at once.

I'm in the UK and my rent is about 60-70% of my wages, rental prices in the UK are high and you usually get a lot less space than in the US, and because of the pandemic prices in some areas (like mine) are on the rise as people are moving out of London.

...as I understand, for travellers London is really expensive as well.

Sounds like the only way to make it for many is to share a flat with someone else. At my age and given some of the experiences I had (including the last) I could never do that anymore. 

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,364
    kyoto kid said:

...as I understand, for travellers London is really expensive as well.

Sounds like the only way to make it for many is to share a flat with someone else. At my age and given some of the experiences I had (including the last) I could never do that anymore. 

Cost of travel in my area is as high as London but not as frequent or reliable, people around here drive, so its another reason people are moving here they are getting London wages so can afford more and therfore are pushing prices up beyond what those who work and already live here can afford. Its good that you have a good affordable rent and have the luxury of choosing where you live. I'm going to have to find someone to share with as my Landlord has indicated he will be either selling or raising the rent again.

• Animals forced to live on islands tend to evolve smaller.  I guess it's the same thing for apartments.surprise​  i.e. England, Manhattan, Japan.  So, what's up with Portland???  Or are inner cities effectively "islands"?indecision

edited October 2020

makes me very grateful for my 700 square metres of Australia

(land not house but that even has 3 tiny bedrooms)

heavy red clay mind you, I have trouble digging it and growing anything edible

(oh it's a literal jungle just mostly native trees and shrubs)

edited October 2020

Yeah, I'm lucky too.  My rent is almost exactly 1/4 of my income.  I live in the "outback" of NY State (as far west as you can get in NY State) and my apartment is 1/3 of an old (perhaps 100 years) house and an apartment like mine would probably fetch $2000 in Manhattan.  Two big rooms, plus stairway, kitchen, bathroom, and covered porch.  High ceilings, clean, drinkable, well water, utilities (excluding phone & internet) included in rent.  But out here in the boonies I'm $50 below even the local average of $450 for a one-bedroom.yes  I just have to put up with the smokers & incense burners in the other apartment.no  Also, the isolation was getting to me until everybody had to be in isolation, now it's a plus!surprise  

And we're far enough from the big cities (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo) that we're not experiencing population growth from the evacuees.  (yet)

Yeah, I'm lucky too.  My rent is almost exactly 1/4 of my income.  I live in the "outback" of NY State (as far west as you can get in NY State) and my apartment is 1/3 of an old (perhaps 100 years) house and an apartment like mine would probably fetch $2000 in Manhattan.  Two big rooms, plus stairway, kitchen, bathroom, and covered porch.  High ceilings, clean, drinkable, well water, utilities (excluding phone & internet) included in rent.  But out here in the boonies I'm $50 below even the local average of $450 for a one-bedroom.yes  I just have to put up with the smokers & incense burners in the other apartment.no  Also, the isolation was getting to me until everybody had to be in isolation, now it's a plus!surprise  

And we're far enough from the big cities (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo) that we're not experiencing population growth from the evacuees.  (yet)

I doubt you could find anything that nice in Manhattan for $2000!

edited October 2020

My brother now owns our 200 year old family house.  It was in poor condition when we moved in 65 years ago.  My father worked on it some.  The basics, furnace, new wiring, insulation.  My brother is a whiz at manipulating matter and has finished the house with complete interior rebuilds including repair and redesign of some of the structural skeleton.  Beautiful stone patio, garden wall, exterior lighting, new kitchen, Internet wiring and again new electrical wiring, plumbing upgrades, another bathroom. new wood floors, clean out and rework the basement.  Separate new garage.  Separate two story workshop. Covered parking for tractors & lawn equipment.  Basically a reconditioned house.  And it includes 12 partially wooded hilltop acres of land behind the house.

At one time my father joked about putting the house on sale for $25,000 knowing that it was so high that nobody would buy it.  Now even for this depressed area my brother would be a fool to let it go for less than $200,000  I keep telling him all he has to do is build a brick column on either side of the driveway entrance and mount a brass plaque on the column declaring the name of the "estate" and he could get $400,000 enlightened  When those city folk start looking for escape to the country, it's a ready-made situation.

Meanwhile it's the place that the extended wide-flung family returns to every 5 years for the reunion with a cornroast bonfire, big lawn, plenty of off street parking, stargazing on top of the hill,  and well worn family stories about their place in the old town.  For the kids there are adventures up & down the hill on meandering mowed paths cut through the chest high tall grass & wild hay, and exposure to animal wildlife for the kids who've grown up in the city.

I am not finding my earbuds here.  Wait I think I left them in my pumpkin 

I am not finding my earbuds here.  Wait I think I left them in my pumpkin 

Be careful, sometimes pumpkins turn into coaches.

edited October 2020

Animals forced to live on islands tend to evolve smaller.  I guess it's the same thing for apartments.surprise​  i.e. England, Manhattan, Japan.  So, what's up with Portland???  Or are inner cities effectively "islands"?indecision

...it's trying desperately to be "Silicon Valley north" (and not doing a very good job of it).  

Over the last 31 years I've seen a compete reversal from the 1950s when those who were well off, migrated from the city to the outer burbs because of the crowded conditions poverty and crime. Today the opposite has been the case with the less fortunate forced to the outskirts as they were priced out of their neighbourhoods by all the gentrification and upscale development geared to attract affluent young professionals to the city with "walkable" neighbourhoods that have shops, cafes, pubs and, restaurants which cater to the upscale crowd where a burger costs 15$ -17$ and a pint of beer 6$ - 7$ (even a "tall boy" [16 oz can] of cheap "industrial" beer can cost 3$ - 4$).

When I first moved here, the neighbourhood where I now live was a fairly sketchy area with nothing but warehouses and old rail freight terminals.  What is now the trendy "Northwest District" was an inexpensive "bohemian" neighbourhood back then. In the early 90s, I had a nice spacious 1 BR apartment in a well maintained older building there which had as much square footage as many newer 2 BR ones I see today (and the rent was only 345$ a month - which is less than half of what a small room in a shared place goes for today).    

This is what my current "neighbourhood" looked like back in the 1990s.  The area was known then as the Hoyt Rail Yards.  The Lovejoy Viaduct and 10th Ave ramp was demolished in 1999 and replaced with surface level streets of the same names. My apartment building is where the roundhouse on the left stood (click on image to enlarge).

This is what the same area looks like 21 years later from a different angle (my building is the square one left of the photo's centre with the courtyard [apologies for the watermark]).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited October 2020

My brother now owns our 200 year old family house.  It was in poor condition when we moved in 65 years ago.  My father worked on it some.  The basics, furnace, new wiring, insulation.  My brother is a whiz at manipulating matter and has finished the house with complete interior rebuilds including repair and redesign of some of the structural skeleton.  Beautiful stone patio, garden wall, exterior lighting, new kitchen, Internet wiring and again new electrical wiring, plumbing upgrades, another bathroom. new wood floors, clean out and rework the basement.  Separate new garage.  Separate two story workshop. Covered parking for tractors & lawn equipment.  Basically a reconditioned house.  And it includes 12 partially wooded hilltop acres of land behind the house.

At one time my father joked about putting the house on sale for $25,000 knowing that it was so high that nobody would buy it.  Now even for this depressed area my brother would be a fool to let it go for less than $200,000  I keep telling him all he has to do is build a brick column on either side of the driveway entrance and mount a brass plaque on the column declaring the name of the "estate" and he could get $400,000 enlightened  When those city folk start looking for escape to the country, it's a ready-made situation.

Meanwhile it's the place that the extended wide-flung family returns to every 5 years for the reunion with a cornroast bonfire, big lawn, plenty of off street parking, stargazing on top of the hill,  and well worn family stories about their place in the old town.  For the kids there are adventures up & down the hill on meandering mowed paths cut through the chest high tall grass & wild hay, and exposure to animal wildlife for the kids who've grown up in the city.

...if it was of reasonable size and in nice shape, that house alone sounds like it would probably go for around 600,000$ - 700,000$ here in Portland 

The house I used to live in prior to when I moved to where I am now was old and in pretty sad shape as the owners (who defaulted on their mortgage) did little if any upkeep over the years.  It sold for 470,000$ at auction (most of the value being the lot alone given the location that is in one of the city's inner neighbourhoods undergoing gentrification and just off a major upscale commercial area). 

I researched a few estimates as to what it would have taken to bring it back into "sellable" shape, which included serious interior renovations (particularly the kitchen, floors, main bathroom upstairs and interior walls [lath & plaster]), rewiring, re-plumbing, installing insulation, new windows/doors, new siding and shinles (both were asbestos based), and repairing/sealing the foundation (which had serious cracks and leaked during heavy rains). The additional cost for the renovations came to around 330,000$ (not counting landscaping).  I had actually expected the house to be bulldozed and something new built in its place considering the costs to bring it back to decent  shape.

After all the fixes that were needed I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for close to 1$ million.. 

Attached are what it pretty much looked like when I lived there (taken a year after I left so it was cleaned up and some reparis made) and how it looks now . 

20180518_203837.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
    20200808_155839.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    20200808_155955.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on