The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited December 2020

'Nother non-complaint:  I've given up on trying to find this intermittant random reboot problem.  The computer is now 11 years old but most of its parts are much newer and salvagable for use in a replacement computer.  And they have been shown to be OK (i.e. not the cause of the problem)  The problem is most likely in the motherboard/CPU/memory so replacing any of those means replacing all of them. 

I found my new CPU (Intel i7-10700) for $60 off and have ordered it.

My new motherboard will be an ATX size, Asus Z490-P with dual M.2 sockets.  The only thing it doesn't have is 6 SATA ports.  It only has 4 but does have several PCIe slots so I could add a SATA card with more ports if needed.  

And for my new memory I'm going to start with 2 modules of 16GB of 3200 speed RAM and later expand to 4 for a total of 64GB

Not going to be the fastest rabbit in the area but will definitely be the fastest rabbit on this farm.

Actually, the replacement will be a game of musical chairs.  1) Old micro-ATX motherboardCPU/RAM is removed.  2) Current DAZing machine micro-ATX motherboard/CPU/RAM/cooler is moved to old sick computer.  3) New full ATX motherboard/CPU/RAM goes into DAZing machine.  Lots of configuration work ahead of me but I'm stuck at home with plenty of time on my hands.

I haven't decided on the new cooler yet, but will probably be a "Be-Quiet" air-cooler.  The CPU is low power (65w vs 120w) and there are several fan ports on the motherboard.

I'm not in a hurry.  I can wait a few months to watch for sales for my parts.  So far the sick computer runs tolerably well most of the time, until it spontaneously reboots about once a day.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

sounds like a symptom of esd damage.

edited December 2020

saw a nice bryce render, arch vis  renderosity.com/rr/mod/gallery/?image_id=29808

i'd like to try some architecture stuff.  standards are really high tho  harder since i cant see what i'm doing.  
    guess i should stop bellyaching over it.  i can still bathe myself and take out the garbage.  just have to lower my stndards on what quality of life means.

remember shcool house rock?

Post edited by Mistara on
  • LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Sigh!  I just had another spontaneous reboot.  I'd removed my 4-port USB3 card and so now I can cross it off the list.  The problem is not because of that card.  Wheee...

It's beginning to look as if I'm going to have justification to replace my motherboard/CPU/memory.  Although I still need to try a few more software integrity diagnostics, checks, scans & fixes to be sure that I'm not jumping the gun.

The only removable hardware not yet removed is the DVD & Blu-Ray drives.  I might have a spare powersupply to try but I really don't think it's the PS (yet).  The 1TB SSD and the 2TB Hard Drive diagnostics don't show any file system corruption or read/write errors.

I suppose it could be an intermittent RAM error so I could get a better RAM diagnostic and let it run for many hours to see if one pops up.

Wheee... this is so much fun.frown

You must have the patience of Job.  I wouldn't tolerate this.  Why not just diagnose the BSODs/reboots?  Are you getting a stop code?  What's showing up in the event viewer?  Are you getting a dump file?  If there's a dump file, you can get ahold of a free dump viewer.  If there's no dump file, maybe you can turn that on in Windows.  Generate a dump and get a stop code. 

My point is that you can spend months and hundreds of dollars guessing, only to never fix it.  Or you can instead take the opportunity of your next crash to look for the root cause and maybe even fix it!  Unless you're afraid that you'll run out of complaints for the complaint thread.  In which case I can assure you that there are PLENTY of things to complain about, even if TOS only allows us to actually voice 1.5% of them here.  And if you ever find yourself short, you can just ask your friends here.  I'm sure we can raise the level of "grouch" to help you out!  cheeky

• kyoto kid said:

DanaTA said:

Happy Birthday, Kyoto Kid!

Mystiarra said:

+1 

Rezca said:

Is a one-year-older Day??!
    Happy birfday and cakeday!

...hmm, that was supposed to be a tightly guarded secret requiring Tier 5 clearance. wink

Thank you everyone.

Tier 5 clearance ain't what it used to be.

CongressCritters leak Top Secret material all the time without penalty, punishment, or even being sent to their room without dinner.  If you or I did that, we'd face a firing squad.  If they still allowed the condemned a last request, I think I'd ask for dancing girls.  But it would be hard to pass up the opportunity to take up and quit smoking all in the same day!  devilangel

Happy Tier 5, KK!  laugh

• LeatherGryphon said:

'Nother non-complaint:  I've given up on trying to find this intermittant random reboot problem.  The computer is now 11 years old but most of its parts are much newer and salvagable for use in a replacement computer.  And they have been shown to be OK (i.e. not the cause of the problem)  The problem is most likely in the motherboard/CPU/memory so replacing any of those means replacing all of them. 

Good choice!

flux capacitor still fluxing?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited December 2020

Mystiarra said:

carrie58 said:

Got a invite to my son's for Christmas day ,he and his wife are having a small get together with her family and a few friends ,it's gonna be outside and masks are required ,my issue is it's suppose to be in the low 40's and windy , which to me translates to achey joints ,runny nose and cold food, they have a propane heater but ...... that's not enough when it's too tall to sit on .......so ooo needless to say I thanked them very much for the invite and then turned them down ,I'll be having a ham steak ,brussel sprouts,and a sweet potato ,egg nog ,and Snicker Doodle cookies for dessert!! and be greatful for being warm.

sweet potato pieheart  

Actually I cheat and bake a sweet potato ,split it open put a pat of butter ,apple pie seasoning ,amd a tablespoon of brown sugar , sooo good . Oh @Mystiarra been wanting to ask you how the heck you can see the Carara UI ? When I tried everything was too tiny for me to figure it out ..... so I uninstalled it

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Mystiarra said:

M....fluxing capacitor! angry

I assume it is because it was running off the power generated by a tiny nuclear reactor fed by garbage.

TJohn said:

Mystiarra said:

M....fluxing capacitor! angry

I assume it is because it was running off the power generated by a tiny nuclear reactor fed by garbage.

hmster power, its what the hamster wheels are for laugh to harness that hamster kinetic energy

carrie58 said:

Mystiarra said:

carrie58 said:

Got a invite to my son's for Christmas day ,he and his wife are having a small get together with her family and a few friends ,it's gonna be outside and masks are required ,my issue is it's suppose to be in the low 40's and windy , which to me translates to achey joints ,runny nose and cold food, they have a propane heater but ...... that's not enough when it's too tall to sit on .......so ooo needless to say I thanked them very much for the invite and then turned them down ,I'll be having a ham steak ,brussel sprouts,and a sweet potato ,egg nog ,and Snicker Doodle cookies for dessert!! and be greatful for being warm.

sweet potato pieheart  

Actually I cheat and bake a sweet potato ,split it open put a pat of butter ,apple pie seasoning ,amd a tablespoon of brown sugar , sooo good . Oh @Mystiarra been wanting to ask you how the heck you can see the Carara UI ? When I tried everything was too tiny for me to figure it out ..... so I uninstalled it

sweet potato with marchmallows melted on it.  yumma lol

oh, i hung on as long as i could with carrara.  in preferences you can change the font and font size.  i cant currently see the triangles in the sequeuencer.  so my movie is on hold.  waiting for the blood to drain out of vitreous.  dr says it can take a few months.  i was all set for the vitrous replacement surgery, but they cancels it at last second cuz of my blood pressure.  i cant go food shopping by myself, too foggy.  i'm so grateful to the virus for the working from home.  second i have to go back to office, they'll see right away i too blind to do my job.  dreading it.  i know it sounds sick, being grateful to a virus.  maybe its not such a coincidence i had hemorages in both eyes the same month the virus was announced.  i teste negative with the swabs, didnt do the antibodies test.

UK chocolate is soo much better.  so much better without corn syrup.  why is there no malteasers in local stores here. crying  ordering from uk is pricey,  party bucket cheeky

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

Diomede said:

Happy belated, KK.

Complaint - I just had a render that took just over 12 hours and discovered at the end that I forgot to check an important render option box.  angry

Non-Complaint - just found a small stack of DVDs that I had not unpacked.  Includes several Christmas themed collections.  Includes classic versions of The Grinch and The Year without a Santa Claus.  yes

...thank you.

Indeed the original Grinch as well as the Charlie Brown Special have always been my perennial favourites.  I have the Soundtrack to the Charlie Brown special by the Vince Guraldi Trio on both vinyl and CD.  Every time I put it on, it takes me back to those Wisconsin winter days when I was young.

The local Karaoke joint in my old neighbourhood here in Portland would always ask me stop on to do You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch around the holidays as I was classically trained and have a deep voice which they said was perfect. Would always get a standing ovation.  Even got me a free drink. or two afterwards.

carrie58 said:

...going to cook up a pot of my cajun shrimp and andouille sausage Jambalaya for the holiday .

Noël sur le bayou, bon temps.

• carrie58 said:

Mystiarra said:

carrie58 said:

sweet potato pieheart  

I haven't even installed it on my laptop.

edited December 2020

Non-complaint:  Wheee...  it's done.  Current decisions all made and enacted.  My replacement computer parts are ordered and on the way.yes  Finally figured out a way to properly do my birthday and Christmas self-gifting.

I ended up finding a new ATX case with a 2-slot DVD cage (Fractal Design Focus G, black).  So the plan is to:

1) Strip my old sick HP micro-ATX for parts and move most of it (PS, DVD, Blu-Ray, SSD, HD) to the new ATX case.  Leaving the mobo, CPU, RAM, fans and front panel ports.

2) Then the micro-ATX motherboard, CPU and half (16GB) of the 2666 speed RAM from my current ATX-case DAZing machine will be moved to the new case and configured to host my old drives & software to handle my private daily tasks.

3) Then my new motherboard (Asus Prime Z490-A)**, CPU (Intel i7-10700), and the other half of the 2666 RAM will be installed in my current ATX case along with my existing half TB and 1TB SSDs, and my MSI GeForce 1660 graphics card to become my new and improved DAZing machine.

4)  Then a new copy of Win10-Pro OEM will be installed and configured to use the accounts and software and revive my DAZing machine with its new, faster CPU.

However, I'll have to live for a while with reduced memory (down from 32GB).  Sometime next year after this lot is paid off, I'll recycle the 16GB of 2666 RAM back to it's original MoBo and buy more & faster (3600) memory for the new machine and improve its cooler situation.  Then move the 650w PS to the lesser machine and buy a new 750w PS for the new DAZing machine.  A better graphics card is still a pipe dream though.  But when I get one, the 1660 graphics card will be moved to the lesser machine giving it a new burst of potential.  Meanwhile I'll be watching for sales on the products I want.

Currently I have spent only $677 US and obtained some significant improvement in capability for my DAZing as well as my personal daily tasks machine.  I think I win this round because $677 is about what I would have paid for an off-the-shelf machine to replace my sick computer.  And also, I now have much room to grow.  Lots of opportunity to spend money and tinker in the future.  Wheee...smiley

As for the old sick HP machine?  It's a really nice micro-ATX case and when I get a new PS I'll cycle the 650w PS back to the case, add a hard drive (out of my big box of old hard drives) and start to revive it as yet another long-in-the-tooth machine to join my stable of nostalgic but at least partially functional artifacts.indecision

Complaint:  Budget for the year ended somewhat in the red (but not much).  I know what I'll be doing in January.  Do you?devil

**Note:  Yes, I decided to go for the Z490-A instead of the Z490-P despite it being $60 more and not currently on sale.  The better features (SLI support, 6 SATA sockets, USB3.2 port) were just too enticing.  I caved.  https://pangoly.com/en/compare/motherboard/asus-prime-z490-a-vs-asus-prime-z490-p

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

I'm still waiting for the screwdriver to arrive so that I can install the new case fan.  I'm not running Daz 3D with a possibly broken case fan.

screw driver.jpg
    484 x 231 - 26K
  • carrie58 said:

droidy001 said:

Hope it okay to leave this here. The unfortunate reality Twas the night before Christmas all through the house, a bunch of super spreaders curled up on the couch. A bottle of Stella lay at each ones side, they couldn't care less who lived or who died. No masks and no distance they spread nasty germs how we wish their poor fathers hadn't donated their sperm. They get on their phones and invite people round, they won't be told they can't hang in a crowd. They complain its be ruined and blame everyone else, in the morning they'll throw up and down Alker Seltz. They've lost the true meaning if ever they knew it. They had the chance but like pricks they blew it.

Love it!!

Yeah, but I'll bet if somebody wrote a refutation in the key of Auld Lang Syne, we would almost definitely be found in violation of TOS.  I would love to, but I don't want to get bit by Richard's big cat or have my noggin tickled with Cohole's big stick.  surprisewink

I'm also not asking to have that post removed, so please don't misunderstand me.  But I'm just sayin' that I doubt a response would be met with the same level of enthusiasm, even though funny is funny even if you might disagree with it.

• LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Wheee...  it's done.  Current decisions all made and enacted.  My replacement computer parts are ordered and on the way.yes  Finally figured out a way to properly do my birthday and Christmas self-gifting.

I ended up finding a new ATX case with a 2-slot DVD cage (Fractal Design Focus G, black).  So the plan is to:

1) Strip my old sick HP micro-ATX for parts and move most of it (PS, DVD, Blu-Ray, SSD, HD) to the new ATX case.  Leaving the mobo, CPU, RAM, fans and front panel ports.

2) Then the micro-ATX motherboard, CPU and half (16GB) of the 2666 speed RAM from my current ATX-case DAZing machine will be moved to the new case and configured to host my old drives & software to handle my private daily tasks.

3) Then my new motherboard (Asus Prime Z490-A)**, CPU (Intel i7-10700), and the other half of the 2666 RAM will be installed in my current ATX case along with my existing half TB and 1TB SSDs, and my MSI GeForce 1660 graphics card to become my new and improved DAZing machine.

4)  Then a new copy of Win10-Pro OEM will be installed and configured to use the accounts and software and revive my DAZing machine with its new, faster CPU.

However, I'll have to live for a while with reduced memory (down from 32GB).  Sometime next year after this lot is paid off, I'll recycle the 16GB of 2666 RAM back to it's original MoBo and buy more & faster (3600) memory for the new machine and improve its cooler situation.  Then move the 650w PS to the lesser machine and buy a new 750w PS for the new DAZing machine.  A better graphics card is still a pipe dream though.  But when I get one, the 1660 graphics card will be moved to the lesser machine giving it a new burst of potential.  Meanwhile I'll be watching for sales on the products I want.

Currently I have spent only $677 US and obtained some significant improvement in capability for my DAZing as well as my personal daily tasks machine.  I think I win this round because $677 is about what I would have paid for an off-the-shelf machine to replace my sick computer.  And also, I now have much room to grow.  Lots of opportunity to spend money and tinker in the future.  Wheee...smiley

As for the old sick HP machine?  It's a really nice micro-ATX case and when I get a new PS I'll cycle the 650w PS back to the case, add a hard drive (out of my big box of old hard drives) and start to revive it as yet another long-in-the-tooth machine to join my stable of nostalgic but at least partially functional artifacts.indecision

Complaint:  Budget for the year ended somewhat in the red (but not much).  I know what I'll be doing in January.  Do you?devil

**Note:  Yes, I decided to go for the Z490-A instead of the Z490-P despite it being $60 more and not currently on sale.  The better features (SLI support, 6 SATA sockets, USB3.2 port) were just too enticing.  I caved.  https://pangoly.com/en/compare/motherboard/asus-prime-z490-a-vs-asus-prime-z490-p

This is mostly a good plan.

I just don't understand why you would reduce capability in one machine just to be able to say that you retained an older, much less capable machine.  I suggest building the best you can for the workhorse.  After all, that's the "tip of the spear" for your work, so why not use the sharpest stone available to you? 

I say toss the rest in a clutter box until you can build that out as a later project.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047
    edited December 2020

My favorite email of today... (I've highlighted my extra favoritest parts)...

Re: Find out of appearing labored

Hi. 
    We have an exhilarating occupation opportunity in the available job of Package Manager in our growing logistics company. We offer a very generous starting compensation package with other perks. We will also train you so that you be effective in your new job. 
    We got your contact information from (somewhere I'm not registered) and thought with your experience, you'd be a valuable inclusion to our workforce. Simply reply to this address and one of our HR Managers will contact you. Ignore this email if you are not in a position to join us at the moment. 
    Job Title: Package Manager 
    Reimbursement: $1000/week 
    This post is appointed exceptionally to homemakers
    If you are able staying at dwelling from 9am and to 5pm, this job should be in your best interests.You are going to must to work with bundles.  
    You are going to must to get parcels, repack mentioned and send out them to the end addressee. The mentioned appointment is stress free and it is finely consigned for housewives, elderly & alike who otherwise operate at housing or are at home during day hours. 
    There must be no heavy shipment. Majority shipment include child's play and apparel.  
    All post-related outgoings are on us. 
    To do actions for ours company you must possess a computer with an access to the Internet, a mobile phone and printing capability. The quantum of cash you can be receiving rely upon on the sum of shipment you shall be handling .During the test stage people working for us earn up to $800/week. 
    For more information, please contact us via email.P.S. To qualify, all you must to make is to remain in between 9am to 5pm. Otherwise, this job is not for you.

O.

Does your head hurt too now?...

So much to unpack there. 
    - Am I going to find out about what appearing labored is, or will appearing labored find out me?
    - How does one ship "child's play"... can one even box a child's laughter? 
    - What is "Quantum of cash"?... is that like a new James Bond movie? Or is it a type of quantum bit coin? Or is it a theoretical cash type that only exists in the quantum realm? 
    - How do I "remain in between 9am and 5pm"... is some sort of time travel involved? Presumably something that greatly slows the passage of time so one can remain between time segments indefinitely...? 
    - Is anything ever really "stress free"? 
    - "This job should be in your best interests"... not sure if this is a threat or if the author is not sure if it is a threat either. 
    - Is the sender named "O" or did they forget the rest of their name or did they just realize how ridiculously bad this scam letter was that they just gave up?

Well... that was fun... Should I take them up on this offer?... I'm sure if I do, by the end at month, my unique capacities of doing upon things upward will have elevated me to positions of gooder height of opportunity reimbursement with expectation of quantum cash in excess of a billion U.S. dollars at month of time each way. 

Oh crap... now I'm talking like "O".

Pleasant time of night for best to all for now.

Post edited by McGyver on

...if they're a logistics company they must have a warehouse.  The last one I worked for had a large warehouse, not as huge as say Amazon but still pretty big.

Next, nothing said about who will handle the shipping. Do they have their own trucks/vans that drop stuff off and pick it up, or do you need ot open your own accounts with UPS, FedEx, and/or USPS for pickup (and who covers the re-shipping costs)?  The company I worked for had high volume commercial shipping contracts with UPS and FE which are not cheap (we had just a tiny bit that went USPS which we handled ourselves). 

Yep sounds like a work scam alright, particularly since you never registered with the employment agency they mentioned..  When I was still looking for work years ago I often received emails like that. 

edited December 2020

Subtropic Pixel said:

LeatherGryphon said:

This is mostly a good plan.

I just don't understand why you would reduce capability in one machine just to be able to say that you retained an older, much less capable machine.  I suggest building the best you can for the workhorse.  After all, that's the "tip of the spear" for your work, so why not use the sharpest stone available to you? 

I say toss the rest in a clutter box until you can build that out as a later project.

This is an excellent plan for me and my situation and desires. 

• It looks like I may be moving furniture around in my home office on Christmas day; reconfiguring my desktop surfaces and preparing to install a sit-stand desk in a few weeks.  Christmas may be a good day to do it because I have nothing else to do except laundry, and cooking.  Other than that, nowhere to go and nobody to go see, and the home office project requires me to shut down and de-wire all of my computers and move all my gear out of the office in order to make room to move the desk/table surfaces around; then to put everything back on the rebuild end. 

Probably a solid whole day's worth of work to do, but maybe will result in a nicer workspace for my job and my artistic stuff.

misread 'very generous' as vengeance

Merry Christmas!

snow is all gone.  santa left cookie crumbs, he should be xtra jolly.

flying reindeer left sled tracks on the roof

last day to listen to christmas songs for another year

complaint  cant eat another meal of oatmeal packes.  groan

i miss living in san antonio, like 50ft from my door could get a breakfast burrito of eggs and potatoes

edited December 2020

i dont know what a logistics is, is it low sodium?  a condoment?

remember schoolhouse rock?  nostalgia hurts some times

gives me chills

his laugh omg, think its true?

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 2020

Weather non-complaint:  Snow from last week's snow melted and was all gone yesterday.  This morning I woke up to about 2 inches of fresh snow.  Light, windless, still falling snow.  Very "White Christmasy".smiley  Need sleighs and horses to complete the picture.  Where's the Amish when you need them?

Computer complaint:  Now that I've ordered parts to replace my sick computer, it hasn't vomited on me at all for two days now.  I guess I scared it with abandonment and it "got well".frown  But I suspect that it can't maintain the pretence very long and will soon resume its boogered behavior.indecision

edited December 2020

...Logisticsthe detailed coordination of a complex operation involving many people, facilities, or supplies.

So, I guess shipping something somewhere for the holidays woulld be Yule Logistics

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

Merry Christmas folks... a bit late, but still under the wire.

This discussion has been closed.