The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited December 2020

Yep, cigarette commercials.  We forget how bad the old days actually were.  The young'uns don't appreciate how much progress has been made.

I remember seeing mondo amounts of trash along the roadsides.  I remember acres and acres of rusting, ugly car junkyards and mountains of tires, sometimes burning.  I remember open pit local dumps where the bears would come to sift through to get morsels of food not yet burnt by the local teens who thought it was fun to set the dump afire.  Grade zero huntsmen would wait at the dump and shoot the bears and other critters who came for the tidbits.

I remember when almost any automobile accident caused major injury or death because of no safety glass, no seat belts, no crumple zones designed into the cars, bumpers at different heights, roadside guardrails that acted like blunt spears when you ran into the end of them.  No sand barrels or water barrels to cushion dangerous "Y"s in the road.  Three lane roads that were very effective and inviting death traps for those tempted to use the center lane on a whim or far longer than reasonable.

I remember when they bragged about having lead tetraethyl in gasoline despite knowing for decades that it caused brain poisoning in children.  Also lead based paint and asbestos in houses.

DDT was sprayed everywhere and children ran in the mosquito fog behind the spray truck.

Mercury poisoning in the fish was an actual problem.  

The air in the cities was often black with soot and worse chemicals.

Yep, not that long ago, the world was a much more dangerous place to live, drink, eat and breathe.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

LeatherGryphon said:

Yep, cigarette commercials.  We forget how bad the old days actually were.  The young'uns don't appreciate how much progress has been made.

I remember seeing mondo amounts of trash along the roadsides.  I remember acres and acres of rusting, ugly car junkyards and mountains of tires, sometimes burning.  I remember open pit local dumps where the bears would come to sift through to get morsels of food not yet burnt by the local teens who thought it was fun to set the dump afire.  Grade zero huntsmen would wait at the dump and shoot the bears and other critters who came for the tidbits.

I remember when almost any automobile accident caused major injury or death because of no safety glass, no seat belts, no crumple zones designed into the cars, bumpers at different heights, roadside guardrails that acted like blunt spears when you ran into the end of them.  No sand barrels or water barrels to cushion dangerous "Y"s in the road.  Three lane roads that were very effective and inviting death traps for those tempted to use the center lane on a whim or far longer than reasonable.

I remember when they bragged about having lead tetraethyl in gasoline despite knowing for decades that it caused brain poisoning in children.  Also lead based paint and asbestos in houses.

DDT was sprayed everywhere and children ran in the mosquito fog behind the spray truck.

Mercury poisoning in the fish was an actual problem.  

The air in the cities was often black with soot and worse chemicals.

Yep, not that long ago, the world was a much more dangerous place to live, drink, eat and breathe.

ugh.  painted a nightmare vision resident evils.

a miracle anyone survived, including the bears

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Cigarette?

when i was in high school 79-82 marlboro was the pop brand.

my biological parents did the winstons.  feeling suffocated thinkin back on it 

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Thanks for the compliments on my silly little animation ^^

Lil complaint in struggling to understand Spline IK's in Cinema4D.  Sometimes they look like they're working and other times they just don't seem to want to. Or they work, just not the way I want them to be working. The Biguana looks like he was made for that though, whole lot of slender body!  I got it kinda working but at the same time not quite?  I don't understand enough about these fancy rigging techniques to really understand what I'm doing or how to fix problems when they arise.  I hope to change that eventually though,  little by little~

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180

Yup.  they used to have cigarette commercials, booze commercials...all during prime time.

Dana

edited December 2020

Anticipitory non-complaint:  Well, since removing my graphics card that was suspected to be the cause of my problems, and using the on-board VGA video port on my motherboard, I have not had any random reboots.  Yay!smiley

So, now I'm going to jinx the whole thing and put the removed graphics card into an anti-static bag, label it "Bad?" and drop it into my box of miscellaneous ancient graphics cards.  That will shortly and surely cause another random reboot at the most inopportune, damaging, and maddening time.  (It's one of the unofficial corrolaries to Murphy's Laws).  Like washing your car to make it rain, or lighting a cigarette while waiting for a bus to make the bus come around the corner 3 seconds later.frown

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 2020

Mystiarra said:

cigarette commercial??surprise

...crikey, I was 10 when that aired. 

Yea,h I still remember cigarette adverts, like Taryton's "Id rather fight than switch", "I'd Walk a Mile for a Camel", "You can take Salem out of the Country, but...",  the silly "Disadvantages  of  the Benson & Hedges 100s", and of course "The Marlboro Man " who rode through the plains & mountains set to the Magnificent 7 theme.  

Even Fred & Barney from the Flintstones got into the act endorsing Winston.  

...whoops, seems TJ beat me to it.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

complaint: amazon keeps showing me region2 dvds, hafta be careful and read the fine print

thought it would be fun to watch jason and the argonauts Nancy Kovack 
    and clash of the titans 
    Harry Hamlin version.  never saaw the liam neeson version

edited December 2020

So I set up the tail, torso, and neck with Spline IK tags,  and they kiiiiiiinda work?  Just... Only mostly. Touch them wrong and they start acting funky - and the tail there kept swapping between up-and-down randomly as it got closer to the end of the tail.

I have such a hit and miss relationship with this tag. It can reaaally make a big difference posing lengthy things, but on the other hand I can almost never seem to get it to work properly.  I'm making progress in understanding it, but I still feel I'm using it wrong or something most of the time :/

Also there's a blanket on the 'biguana because I love tossing cloth onto things for the fun of it :D

Biguana_0001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 219K
    Post edited by Rezca on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

i like cream of chicken soup.

edited December 2020

Complaint:  What did I predict?  All day yesterday after removing the graphics card in my sick computer I ran just fine through the on-board VGA output.  No reboots.  All OK.  Then this morning after a couple hours of use I did as promised and put the old (uninstalled) graphics card into an anti-static bag, labeled it "Bad?", then put it into my box of ancient graphics cards, and put the box back on the shelf.  I then turned off the system, replaced the VGA cable with a DVI cable, booted the system and started working again.  Then about 30 minutes later, REBOOT! Arghhh...crying 

So, what is that implying?  Well, for one it means that Murphy is alive and well.  And, it certainly indicates that my graphics card was not at fault because it's no longer in the system.  It might indicate that the problem is with the DVI port on my motherboard, or the motherboard itself.  It also might indicate that the problem is with the DVI input to my monitor.  There are other possibilities but they're down in the mud right now so I won't list them.  

So, what am I doing to diagnose this?  I've replaced the DVI cable with the VGA cable and seeing if that makes the problem go away for several days.  If so, I can live with that.  If not, then I'm pretty much resolved to replacing the motherboard/CPU combination with something quite a bit more modern.  Although... there's still the small probability that it's my monitor somehow affecting the computer when I use HDMI or DVI connections.  I guess I could replace the monitor as one of my diagnostic tests.  In any case, this tells me that my old graphics card was not the cause of this particular issue, although it has had other problems in the past.

edited December 2020

grumpy cats

Alexander sounds a lot like Shaggy on scooby doo

Post edited by Mistara on

If it ain't fixed, don't break it.

Christopher Walken's FIRST movie role!  laugh

edited December 2020

Put the Biguana rig on hold for a while and went back to a dinosaur I have.  Decided to try messing around with Cinema's  CMotion object (which was super cool by the way)  but as cute as that little walk-cycle I made was,  I couldn't figure out why the Right Leg behaved itself while the Left Leg kept twisting in weird ways through the whole animation. 

After an hour or so of trial and error I eventually just gave up and set that aside as well.  I think it's a Joint Alignment problem but everything I'm doing seems to be taking shots in the dark while blindfolded, then taking that blindfold off to see what happened. If there IS any progress I can't figure out what resulted in that progress and more importantly WHY it produced that result. So it hardly feels like I'm learning anything, and more like I'm just bashing things together until stuff happens.

At the very least though I can sometimes get an  almost accurate idea of what can make things go horribly horribly wrong though.

Post edited by Rezca on
  • ... feels like I'm learning anything, and more like I'm just bashing things together until stuff happens.

At the very least though I can sometimes get an  almost accurate idea of what can make things go horribly horribly wrong though.

You're in good company.  That's what they do at the Large Hadron Collider. surprise 

LeatherGryphon said:

... feels like I'm learning anything, and more like I'm just bashing things together until stuff happens.

You're in good company.  That's what they do at the Large Hadron Collider. surprise 

At least they have an idea of what they're doing - I just don't know the heck is going on here and when I try and fix a problem it feels like most of the time I just make it worse.   I've only ever gotten a Spline-IK to work once,  and every other time it's just been a mystery and only dumb luck ever makes it work. Meaning that when I try and use it again elsewhere I don't know what made it work the previous time.  Like this dinosaur,  tail Spline-IK and it works.  Do the exact same thing on the Biguana, and its "It kinda works, up until the end and it just becomes a horrible mess with no clear cause"

I think though, that joint alignment can be chalked up as a contributing factor in a lot of these problems,  but it's hard to tell sometimes.

edited December 2020

...saw this sad little face on my way home from the market.

sad buppy.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 694K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LeatherGryphon said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

Tonight is "Massively Thick bone-in Ribeye" night.

This piece of meat is thicker than the bullet proof glass at the bank, whoohoo!

Baking it on a sheet pan with potatoes and onions, and it will all get the broiler treatment in about 5 minutes.  Also thinking of making a side dish of corn or peas.

Eat Mor Chikin

Been there, done that!  Turkey, too.  And I even bought some wild boar and venison hot dogs the last time around.

• Resigned complaint:  (*sigh*) Yesterday I had moved my video connection back to VGA hoping that the system would run without a spontaneous reboot.  Worked fine all the rest of the day.  But this morning after turning the system on and running for about a half hour, just web browsing, the system rebooted.sad  So, what does that tell me?  The problem does not lie in the VGA circuit or the DVI circuits although it might still be somewhere in the motherboard or CPU graphic support but I'd classify that as motherboard problems.  So, now I'm left with the motherboard/memory/CPU combination as well as a 4-port USB3 card, SSD system drive, HD archive drive, powersupply and software.  I've just removed the 4-port USB card and will try running without that for a couple days. Microsoft file system integrity checks find nothing wrong.  All OS and driver patches are up-to-date.  The system is powered through a good UPS so the the power is stable going into the computer.  I suppose my computer's powersupply could be flaky but it's a relatively new, good quality PS with more than enough power.

• LeatherGryphon said:

Resigned complaint:  (*sigh*) Yesterday I had moved my video connection back to VGA hoping that the system would run without a spontaneous reboot.  Worked fine all the rest of the day.  But this morning after turning the system on and running for about a half hour, just web browsing, the system rebooted.sad  So, what does that tell me?  The problem does not lie in the VGA circuit or the DVI circuits although it might still be somewhere in the motherboard or CPU graphic support but I'd classify that as motherboard problems.  So, now I'm left with the motherboard/memory/CPU combination as well as a 4-port USB3 card, SSD system drive, HD archive drive, powersupply and software.  I've just removed the 4-port USB card and will try running without that for a couple days. Microsoft file system integrity checks find nothing wrong.  All OS and driver patches are up-to-date.  The system is powered through a good UPS so the the power is stable going into the computer.  I suppose my computer's powersupply could be flaky but it's a relatively new, good quality PS with more than enough power.

Event Viewer doesn't give any clues (sorry, the saga is interspersed with all sorts of other comments so you may have already said this). When I was having repeated restarts I was pointed to Who Crashed and PC Doctor, but I think those require a crash dump to analyse (and they weren't terribly helpful to me, other than saying it looked like a driver issue of some unspecified kind).

if i could see, i'd think about moving back to venice, florida.
    i not in shape for shovellin.  snow chucking

semi complaint, neighbor played this, loud, like 10 times in  row  >.<

kyoto kid said:

mebbe it senses a zombie apocalypse comin 

4 days countdown

RUDOLPH, FULL POWWeRR

edited December 2020

Well I know why that blink looked like it went by so quickly now.  For some reason, THIS is what it looks like when the morph is set to 100%. 

But opening the original and trying it, the morph works perfectly.

Something happened between then and and the recent file but I don't know what nor when xD

*EDIT*  Scratch that, I think I have an idea what happened.  I vaguely recall applying a subdivide mesh command for this animation specifically (To a separate file, as to avoid permanent damage)  since Cinema4D's deformers are dependent on the base mesh's resolution, so the collision and jiggle deformations on the belly would have had less impact due to the dragon's initial low geometry.

And, since Cinema 4D's  Pose Morphs are linked to the points on the source mesh, if any changes happen to either figure - like say, adding geometry to one but not the other - things will go wrong.

Quick look and sure enough, that's what happened.  Subdivided the source meshes and set the Morph type to Absolute and solved it. 

blink.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 324K
    blink2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 249K
    blink3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 382K
    Post edited by Rezca on

Mystiarra said:

if i could see, i'd think about moving back to venice, florida.
    i not in shape for shovellin.  snow chucking

semi complaint, neighbor played this, loud, like 10 times in  row  >.<

Maybe they needed cheering up. 

working on the cheer.  

Mystiarra said:

working on the cheer.  

Eeyy I remember that from sooooo looooong ago  :D 

Mystiarra said:

kyoto kid said:

mebbe it senses a zombie apocalypse comin 

...probably just boredom being stuck at home like the rest of us here and wanting company.  

This discussion has been closed.