The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Hi to you talented person,

I am offering good job to you which is paying money which is real.

Goodbye talented person.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited December 2020

Please be having Christmas with many happy!

131296504_237349084690976_209094418673052359_n.jpg
    526 x 765 - 43K
    Post edited by TJohn on
  • McGyver said:

Merry Christmas folks... a bit late, but still under the wire.

With a little more Christmas cheer I'd be under the table.indecision 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...Happy Christmas to all. 

Going to partake in a bit of that "holiday cheer" later. . Have a nice bottle of vintage port, perfect on a rainy cold (upper 30s F) night.  

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

Almost too late but I hope every one had a very Merry Christmas ,

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,881
    edited December 2020

Funny:

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 2020

...siilly, but in a good way.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • I'm ready for the Christmas afterparty, let's go!

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited December 2020

i finally found some articles online that say dots per inch affects image quality on printed pages, not images on a computer screen.  Thanks to everyone who answred my question about DPI a few weeks ago.

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

survived another christmas holiday.  it was nice.

havta lay off the orange juice, or dilute it  burnin my stomach  ughh

• TJohn said:

Hi to you talented person,

I am offering good job to you which is paying money which is real.

Goodbye talented person.

Have you been scanning Rorschach Test images through Google Translate again?indecision

chris pine is in wonder woman.  cheekyblush  he didnt  look like this in star trek  

• Mystiarra said:

chris pine is in wonder woman.  cheekyblush  he didnt  look like this in star trek  

Star Trek came out in 2008; twelve years ago.  He most certainly should be looking older by now.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited December 2020

Ponderable:  Does Covid have any effect on the rate of sales of men's shaving supplies?indecision  It does in my cave.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

LeatherGryphon said:

Ponderable:  Does Covid have any effect on the rate of sales of men's shaving supplies?indecision  It does in my cave.

hoarding again?

it still difficult to find fresh eggs here. 

stocking up on t.p. before the net shut down. 

Subtropic Pixel said:

Mystiarra said:

Star Trek came out in 2008; twelve years ago.  He most certainly should be looking older by now.

chris pine one of the last leading actors, i'd see a movie just cuz he is in it. 

• Mystiarra said:

LeatherGryphon said:

hoarding again?

Um, no.surprise  Just the opposite.  I'm not shaving regularly so my demand for supplies has gone down.  Way down.  No visitors, rare appearances in public.  If it wasn't so cold, I'd save a lot on laundry too.  Clothes..., bah humbug.  Forty years of living in Florida taught me that clothes are overrated and not completely necessary.devil

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

LeatherGryphon said:

hoarding again?

Um, no.surprise  Just the opposite.  I'm not shaving regularly so my demand for supplies has gone down.  Way down.  No visitors, rare appearances in public.  If it wasn't so cold, I'd save a lot on laundry too.  Clothes..., bah humbug.  Forty years of living in Florida taught me that clothes are overrated and not completely necessary.devil

florida too hot for fasion statements.  chaps would stick uncomfortably 

edited December 2020

kewlest movie i've seen in a long time

da cute wee baby dragons

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 2020

LeatherGryphon said:

I shave once every week or two now.  Head and face.  Sometimes I need to run the clippers first so as to avoid clogging up the razors.  But it feels great to shave with hot water, cream, and/or oil.  And the shower after shaving; well, that's divine.

And each time I take the time to decide what facial hair to keep.  Sometimes none, other times a mustache that ends at the corners of my mouth, and yet other times I'll keep a Fu Manchu or a full goatee.  I don't have a bushy beard or mustache, but I can grow a mustache or beard in less than a week, and after 5-7 days, needs trimming anyway; just to avoid looking like a homeless mountain man.

The facial hair choice almost never matters anymore, since I have to wear a mask everywhere I go anyway.  If I'm planning to be on video during a Skype call, then I may go ahead and just shave it all off.  Hell, it'll be back by next Monday anyhow, and will be ready for trimming by then. 

But yeah, almost nobody actually sees my face unless I'm getting together with a friend to have a meal.  Which I will do, usually once or twice every couple weeks.  Most of my friends are younger than me, so if anything, I'm probably the one at the greatest risk, whatever that means.

But the risk is entirely acceptable in my book.  Even if I catch the Covid (or the flu, that's going around now and kills people too) and become one of the 1% who die, at least I won't have died completely lonesomely.  I look forward to next spring; we're thinking we might be able to let people work in the office part time by April. 

Working at home is great of course, but never leaving home actually makes a lot of humans kind of "krabby and krazy", what with all the stewing one does in one's own juices.

"Stop making that noise with yer newfangled lawn mower!" 

"But sir, my lawn mower is battery electric and you probably can't even hear it in your house!"

"And get off my grass!"

"But sir, I'm cutting your grass."

lol!  cheeky

But yeah, I went from shaving 6 days per week down to 0.5, on average.  At least the bathroom sink drain hasn't clogged up yet!

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

LeatherGryphon said:

hoarding again?

He's not really wrong about this.  Just be sure to keep the Skype camera pointed AWAY when you're not using it.  Mine is in a pencil cup, pointing down into the cup so that it won't show anything except pencils.  And always put it back when getting off of a call!

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 2020

A question for KK or LG, or anybody who cooks (or used to cook) with a cast iron skillet...

Do you have a lid for your skillet?  If so, what is it made of and when/how often do/did you use it?

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited December 2020

Subtropic Pixel said:

A question for KK or LG, or anybody who cooks (or used to cook) with a cast iron skillet...

Do you have a lid for your skillet?  If so, what is it made of and when/how often do/did you use it?

KK cooks with cast iron. 

I use a "Green Pan" ceramic coated frying pan with stainless steel edged glass lid.  I like to watch the meat stop struggling. devil

I use the frying pan two or three times a week.  I almost always use the lid.  I hate grease splatters on and around the stove.  And after years of living in Florida sans clothes, frying without a lid can be hazardous.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • lol, well it sure doesn't struggle for very long if the cast iron skillet has been pre-heated up to 400-500 degrees.

And that's the basis for my question:  What lids can tolerate a properly pre-heated cast iron skillet?  I only have lids (stainless steel from some pot sets) enough for the smaller skillets, which I rarely need to use.  For the larger skillets, I've just been using spatter screens to keep the kitchen from becoming too big of an oily mess.

• I never fry on big flame.  Non-stick pans even the ceramic ones don't like high temperatures.  Yeah, yeah, I know some frying needs high heat.  I don't do that type of frying.  I like to watch the struggle for long times.devil

I do "ham & eggs" and "scrapple".  I do fried chicken breasts.  I fry hamburgers, and hamburg for "Hamburger Helper" kits.  Never bacon or liver or steak.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited December 2020

i never knew that different types of skilets and pans exist.  They look the same to me.

Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited December 2020

ever do corn on the cob in a pan or skillet?  or yankee pot roast?

my oven still broke , can only cook stove top or slow cooker

when my sims are cooking beef wellington, i drooll on the keybpard.

Post edited by Mistara on

a chess question, when pawn makes it to the other side, can it reclaim any piece or just the queen?

...I have a 12" and a 7" stainless steel lid but use them only when I need to have trapped heat to help with such tasks as melting cheese onto what I'm cooking (like a burger and my "Wisconsin Northwood's Hash" or when simmering my curries so the coconut milk doesn't reduce down.   The only cast iron cookware I've seen with an actual matching lid has been a Dutch oven.

I also don't use high heat even when preparing my Cajun fish, this way the food cooks more thoroughly inside without scorching on the outside.  Yeah, it takes a little longer but then I'm not in much of a rush these days being retired and all.  Using very high heat (particularly on an electric range top) is not even that good for cast iron cookware as it can dry out and ruin the "seasoning". I rarely go above a "medium" heat setting. (really wish I had a gas stove again).

• Well, I generally will get the skillet very hot, either on the stovetop or in a 400-450 degree oven.  Then move it to a hot burner, put the burner down to medium-low or medium, and then add the oil and food.

So technically, the skillet, if I'm using one of my cast iron skillets, is very hot, but the burner's only on medium.  So the food mostly cooks with the heat retained by the skillet.

Kind of similar to America's Test Kitchen, where they like to put the skillet into a 500 degree oven for 30 minutes.  I just think that takes too long to get the heat into the cast iron skillet, and wastes a lot of energy (unless I'm planning to use some of that stored energy in the oven to make something else afterward).  My induction glass-top stove can get a skillet to 400+ within 5 minutes, so that seems more convenient AND more energy efficient. 

I use a laser temperature gauge to measure the heat of the skillet so that I know I'm putting the food into a hot skillet.  But usually 4 to 5 minutes is all the iron needs.

After cooking, I just hit the cast iron with hot water and a stiff kitchen brush.  No soap really needed since the iron is still very hot.  Then I dry it, put some fresh oil into the pan and let it cool down.  If I need to re-season (which I'll do after using, cleaning, and re-oiling a skillet 3 or 4 times), that's easy too; just wipe a fresh coat of oil all over the clean pan, inside and out, sop up the runny oil, then put the pan upside down into a 300-350 degree oven for an hour.  The heat and temperature make that oil bond to the iron and become kind of like a rubbery coating on the pan.  It's kind of like a tough shield that prevents rust.

If I'm just cooking with a regular non-stick skillet, then I'll just cook everythng on Medium, or medium high if there's a lot of food in the pan.  Some foods just seem easier in a nonstick pan, like if I'm cooking an omelette and I want it to slide out of the pan for flipping and plating, or if I'm just heating a hot dog or bratwurst that's already been smoked or cooked.

Out of curiosity, I just now went to Amazon and found several cast iron skillets with lids.  Scroll down that list and you'll see some lids made of glass, with others made of cast iron.

So I guess my original concern about the heat is a non-issue, since some are made of glass.  I may just try to find a couple of lids by themselves; would not really want to buy a whole 'nother skillet set.

Thanks guys!

This discussion has been closed.