The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 2020

Mystiarra said:

ever do corn on the cob in a pan or skillet?  or yankee pot roast?

No, but I'll bet corn on the cob would be delicious.  I'd be tempted to leave the leaves on and cook the corn on a rack inside the pan, and if I had enough cobs to cook, maybe to use a dutch oven so I can cover it and keep some of the heat and moisture inside for the first part of the cooking cycle.  Then maybe remove the dutch lid for the 2nd half?

Alternatively, I'd be tempted to cook the cobs on a rack and turn on the broiler for the last 5-10 minutes.  That would be akin to letting them cook in a grill until the leaves get all crispy and dried out.  The corn inside will still be steamy and moist.  Add some butter, paprika, pepper, and just a pinch of salt, and you have a side dish fit for an emperor!

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 2020

...ah glass lids.  

I generally shop at brick & mortar stores where I've only seen the skillets sold without lids.  I do like the cast iron wok with the wooden lid but already have a nice carbon steel one.   

The heating elements (can't really call them "burners" as there's no actual flame involved) on the stove in my flat are these new high efficiency ones with a solid upper surface made of, cast iron.  They heat more evenly and retain heat longer so I can turn them down or even off earlier. Generally I find medium heat to just a notch higher is more than sufficient.

Alternatively, I'd be tempted to cook the cobs on a rack and turn on the broiler for the last 5-10 minutes.  That would be akin to letting them cook in a grill until the leaves get all crispy and dried out.  The corn inside will still be steamy and moist.  Add some butter, paprika, pepper, and just a pinch of salt, and you have a side dish fit for an emperor!

Ah, that reminds me of the roasted corn we'd get at the Wisconsin State Fair. The leaves were peeled back, the ear was dipped in a big pot of liquified butter and then lightly salted.  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Saw this and thought I'd share it here.

Corn in a skillet. I grew up with Mom cuting the kernels off the cob and then frying them. Delicious as a side. The sugars in the corn would carmelize a bit. Of course we lived on a farm so we grew our own fruit and vegetables. 

Boy do I miss all that. I'd make a garden if I could but I'm too disabled these days. Still breathing though so there's that. smiley

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited December 2020

Mystiarra said:

a chess question, when pawn makes it to the other side, can it reclaim any piece or just the queen?

Chess is one of those games that probably has very strict rules at the professional level.  I was one of the few people in my extended family that could play chess.  When I was in high school I'd play against a neighbor boy we were about evenly matched but I lost way too many times.  Also when I visited my relatives in Florida I'd sometimes run into a relative "Uncle Albert" who was a wierd old duck who travelled around in a camper van but he loved to find somebody who would play chess against him.  He almost always won.

I always played that a pawn could be promoted to any piece and I would look for opportunities to promote to a knight for a surprise finish.  However, Google would probably have a more reliable answer.

I gave up playing chess when a dime-store computer game could beat me.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

a chess question, when pawn makes it to the other side, can it reclaim any piece or just the queen?

Chess is one of those games that probably has very strict rules at the professional level.  I was one of the few people in my extended family that could play chess.  When I was in high school I'd play against a neighbor boy we were about evenly matched but I lost way too many times.  Also when I visited my relatives in Florida I'd sometimes run into a relative "Uncle Albert" who was a wierd old duck who travelled around in a camper van but he loved to find somebody who would play chess against him.  He almost always won.

I always played that a pawn could be promoted to any piece and I would look for opportunities to promote to a knight for a surprise finish.  However, Google would probably have a more reliable answer.

The pawn can become a Queen, Bishop, Rook, or Knight.  

edited December 2020

TJohn said:

Saw this and thought I'd share it here.

I see, or rather saw, what you did there.

See-saw.jpg
    1040 x 1390 - 258K
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited December 2020

Steam recommended me another rhythm VR game.  I thought it was cute how the game was called "Ragnarock"  as in Rock.  Instead of the usual pop music and stuff I found in a few other rhythm games, they went for rock and metal and the like for their songs, which alongside the nifty viking theme had me absolutely sold.

Introduced me to some catchy musicfrom some groups I'd never heard of too.

Post edited by Rezca on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Chohole said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

The pawn can become a Queen, Bishop, Rook, or Knight.  

thanks.  thinkin bout teaching my young cousin chess, not sure she'd enjoy the game. 

TJohn said:

Corn in a skillet. I grew up with Mom cuting the kernels off the cob and then frying them. Delicious as a side. The sugars in the corn would carmelize a bit. Of course we lived on a farm so we grew our own fruit and vegetables. 

Boy do I miss all that. I'd make a garden if I could but I'm too disabled these days. Still breathing though so there's that. smiley

fresh fruit and veggies  

i havent figured out how to get whole grains into my diet.  does cashews count?

doh, turned my last english muffin into a hockey puck

edited December 2020

Mystiarra said:

That's what McDonald's does to EggMcMuffins if they've gone cold and have to be reheated.  NEVER let them give you a reheated EggMcMuffinangry.  Stand there and watch 'em make it freshly for you!devil 

Non-complaint:  Wheee...  My parts for my new computer have started arriving.  They should all be here by the 2nd week of January.

cant sleep. first was the nightmare hospital, .  and then dreamed a baby cocodilia was running around in my bed blankets and i was trying eo catch it ,but had no habitrail to put it in, in my dream was worried it would die without a heat lamp

wheres the nice dreams with cute cuddly hamsters or cloud strife dreams

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

That's what McDonald's does to EggMcMuffins if they've gone cold and have to be reheated.  NEVER let them give you a reheated EggMcMuffinangry.  Stand there and watch 'em make it freshly for you!devil 

Non-complaint:  Wheee...  My parts for my new computer have started arriving.  They should all be here by the 2nd week of January.

egg mcCrumpet laugh 

...haven't set foot in a McDonalds (or any other fast food joint) for a long time. What you see on the adverts or on the menu above the counter compared to what you get in the bag or on the tray are often two distinctly different things. 

They actually employ food "makeup artists" to make the burgers & such look so generous and appealing.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180
    edited December 2020

kyoto kid said:

...haven't set foot in a McDonalds (or any other fast food joint) for a long time. What you see on the adverts or on the menu above the counter compared to what you get in the bag or on the tray are often two distinctly different things. 

They actually employ food "makeup artists" to make the burgers & such look so generous and appealing.

That practice has become illegal, with the Truth in Advertising laws.  However, they do have the items made up fresh and use the freshest ingredients and they use the best looking ones, and don't package them or do anything to ruin the looks.  the top bun would be lightly placed on the burger, not slapped on like in the assembly line in the restaurant.  They do pay close attention to the lighting and environment.  In general editorials or cookbooks, they still use the tricks, like spraying a light glaze of glycerin on certain things to make it look moist and bring out the color saturation.  

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on

...interesting, I'll have to check into that as only a few years ago I saw programmes about the practise. 

Still wouldn't go to one anymore because of how unhealthy most of the offerings are, particularly for us older folks who have to watch our cholesterol levels.

edited December 2020

The only thing I go into McDonald's for are Egg McMuffins.  Although sometimes when I'm feeling early morning hungry I'll also get hashbrown, orange juice & coffee(black)  Freshly made McMuffins are Mmmmmm.yes   How can you ruin an egg, a piece of ham, a slice of cheese, and an English Muffin  (short of letting it die under a heat lamp)?  However, the rest of their menu has been found wanting.no

When I still had a car and was taking infrequent but exciting little mini-adventures that started early in the morning I'd plan a stop at McDonald's about 30 or 50 miles away for my first rest stop. 

Or if I had a blood test scheduled that required that I fast overnight, I'd get my blood drawn then rush across the street to McDonalds for my McMuffin breakfast.  Wheee... a micro-adventure.smiley

Now, with no car, and this pandemic situation, taking the garbage out to the can is a micro-adventure, and even opening the door to sweep the snow off my porch is a micro-adventure.frown

And walking to the grocery has been elevated to a mini-adventure.

Getting a ride to do laundry is now a full fledged adventure with side trips to the pharmacy and liquor store.indecision

edited December 2020

Complaint:  While composing the above post, my sick computer vomited all over me again.  Poof, black, gone, reboot! sad  First time it's done that in three days.  I thought it had gotten well and I was feeling guilty about buying a new computer. 

Non-complaint:  But now I feel vindicated.  Yay!  Justified in spending money.  What a wonderful feeling.yes

'Nother non-complaint:  In my old age I've rediscovered the ambrosia like nature of "V8" juice in the morning.  Mmmmm, their slogan "I could have had a V8" isn't my problem anymore.  I've found Amazon can supply me with cases of it at a reasonable price.  Mmmmm..., V8.smiley  (But blech on the low sodium version, blech.cheeky  Give me the original version with proper amount of salt.heart)

I get a case of twenty-four 11-ounce cans at a cost of  $11.13 (47 cents per can) and drink only 5.5 ounces during breakfast every day.   Significantly less expensive than buying eight 6-packs (or even four 12-packs)  of 5.5-ounce cans.  And not as frustrating (or tempting to drink mass quantities) as quart or liter sized cans or bottles.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180

kyoto kid said:

...interesting, I'll have to check into that as only a few years ago I saw programmes about the practise. 

Still wouldn't go to one anymore because of how unhealthy most of the offerings are, particularly for us older folks who have to watch our cholesterol levels.

I like Burger King, but I don't eat there often, maybe a couple times a year.

Dana

i'm gonna open my curtains and let some light in,  bout all the excitement i can handle in one day.

has there been no new arrivals in store?

feels like i been seeing that girl with the painnful broken back pose at no2 slot for a while now

wouldnr mind a game of scrabble.  need the exzcitement

DanaTA said:

kyoto kid said:

I like Burger King, but I don't eat there often, maybe a couple times a year.

Dana

...I stopped going there because every time I would order a burger without mayo, when I opened the wrapping I found they still slathered mayo all over it (mild allergy).   So much for "having it my way". 

The only burgers I have now are either those I make myself using lean organic grass fed beef, or which I get at a couple of restaurants I go to now & then that use beef raised on local farms.  None of that warehouse raised, hormone and antibiotic injected stuff.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited December 2020

i never noticed Aiko 8 in the Daz Store before.  She is cute.  ok, time to get ready for bed.

edited to fix broken text.

Post edited by starionwolf on

...still prefer AIlo 3 and had a tonne of suppport here and at Rendo.

A4 remained pretty true to the look with the small mouth and big anime eyes but after that it seemed she became more and more realistic.  Aiko 8 on the other hand appears to have come back somewhat to her original anime roots.

Mystiarra said:

i'm gonna open my curtains and let some light in,  bout all the excitement i can handle in one day.

edited December 2020

Bank complaint:  Arghhh... I tried checking my bank account this morning (I do this every morning) and It wouldn't accept my login, was behaving wierdly, would momentarily log me in then kick me out.surprise  So I wait several hours and tried again this afternoon.  Same problem but worse.  Now it doesn't even accept my login & password but also doesn't time me out after three tries.frown  So, I called the phone number for the bank to complain but was told that there was a 23 to 45 minute wait for a live person to come on the line.  I guess I'm not the only person with a problem.  indecision  That could be good news or bad news.sad  Perhaps some bank employee got an email from a Nigerian Prince and the entire bank holdings were sucked out?

Non-complaint:  Wheee... simple thing, but I received my order from Amazon for a 22 x 17 inch deskpad with 1/4 inch quadruled paper.  I had one of those when I had my first real job (Kennedy Space Center).  I learned to sketch designs, programming snippets and wiring circuits, and keep little notes to myself.  The top sheet became a sort of spacial database, where the information I needed was in a particular spot on the sheet.  The top sheet would usually last about a month or so (long enought for most projects) and I had instant access to recently important information and idea snapshots.  I grew to love my large paper notes, and after I tore the top sheet off I folded it into an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet and kept it in a file folder as archive information.  And for several years at other jobs I was supplied or bought similar deskpads.  Then for some reason they became difficult to find and I drifted away from using them.  Without my deskpad, my little design notes ended up on small pieces of paper that got lost in large piles of them that had to be sorted through, and were not in my line of sight and so were out of mind.  

I don't know why I never looked for those pads really hard, but for 30 years I've been without my deskpad spacial database.  But a couple days ago I got a bee in my bonnet and looked them up on Amazon, and there they were (yay Amazon).  So now I have reinstated my 50 year old mechanism for keeping my mind organized.  So happy!  Wheee...smiley

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,127

Just stopping in to say hi.  I haven’t been able to visit much but I can visit a bit here and there.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,127

Oh not sure if I will find the answer but is Netflix Jingle Jangle movie steampunk or something else?

This discussion has been closed.