The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• Mystiarra said:

i'm a static monster today

zzzzwapppp  its not the volts that kill ya, its the amps

I thought it was being grounded that kills you.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 2020

LeatherGryphon said:

...a lot of stuff about a failing computer...

You know my recommendation.  Jettison the junk and declutter your life so that you can spend some time living it.  Yes, even with Covid and wearing the muzzles and having everything meaningful shut down, there is life outside that can still be lived, and you deserve that opportunity!  Cut this bad mojo loose so that you can free your heart, soul, and budget for better, more meaningful things, even if one of those things is a new computer.

I submit to you that you are worth it.  You have a lot of living yet to do and gifts yet to share with people who can benefit.  But all the stuff you're going through with this creaky old computer is wasting your finances and your life-energy.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • Subtropic Pixel said:

Mystiarra said:

i'm a static monster today

zzzzwapppp  its not the volts that kill ya, its the amps

I thought it was being grounded that kills you.

Teenagers certainly think so.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited December 2020

Subtropic Pixel said:

LeatherGryphon said:

You know my recommendation.  Jettison the junk and declutter your life so that you can spend some time living it.  Yes, even with Covid and wearing the muzzles and having everything meaningful shut down, there is life outside that can still be lived, and you deserve that opportunity!  Cut this bad mojo loose so that you can free your heart, soul, and budget for better, more meaningful things, even if one of those things is a new computer.

I submit to you that you are worth it.  You have a lot of living yet to do and gifts yet to share with people who can benefit.  But all the stuff you're going through with this creaky old computer is wasting your finances and your life-energy.

Not quite.  I am happy with these problems.  My "Arghhh...s" are melodramatic blather.  I understand that nothing physical lasts forever.  I enjoy solving problems.  I miss solving problems for big money and being sent around the country talking to smart people.  But I'm past that stage of my life.  I enjoy catching up on more recent technology, browsing catalogs, finding what I can afford.  I'm not destitute, I'm retired on a fixed income with a little more income than outgo.  It's a problem to be accomodated.  At some point, sooner rather than later, I'm going to be in much worse state of health.  I'm having fun while the sun shines, while not being in an adrenalin fueled hurry.  I've slowed down enough to smell the flowers. indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • LeatherGryphon said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Not quite.  I am happy with these problems.  My "Arghhh...s" are melodramatic blather.  I understand that nothing physical lasts forever.  I enjoy solving problems.  I miss solving problems for big money and being sent around the country talking to smart people.  But I'm past that stage of my life.  I enjoy catching up on more recent technology, browsing catalogs, finding what I can afford.  I'm not destitute, I'm retired on a fixed income with a little more income than outgo.  It's a problem to be accomodated.  At some point, sooner rather than later, I'm going to be in much worse state of health. 

There are probably ways to delay that, at least a bit.

I'm having fun while the sun shines, while not being in an adrenalin fueled hurry.  I've slowed down enough to smell the flowers. indecision

Okay, very good.  I'm not your mama or your daddy, so I won't nag you.  Well, not every day at least.  But I do still think you have more you can be and do.  That is the healthy thing, and may help to delay the bad things from happening.  And I hope you see it too.  laugh

This quote, or something like it is often attributed to Steven Covey: 

"Don't sit back and let things happen to you. Go out and happen to things. "

Be the nag.  Be the squeaky wheel.  Be the pain in the ass.  It just may help somebody and who knows, it might even be good for your heart and soul.  Why do you think I hassle all of you for not creating a backup and restore plan?  And do you think I give DAZ such a hard time about Bryce and Hexagon just for my health?  Hmmm, well now that I think about it, I suppose I do do it just for my health, hehe  cheeky

But that goes for everybody who frequents this thread.

enlightened

edited December 2020

Non-complaint:  My television viewing has reduced to mostly YouTube clips of science, stupid people, cats & other animals, and history.  Although every now and then I stumble across a stream service that is showing another season or two of "Vera".  A short, heavy, middle-aged, curmudgenly detective.  She's gruff and tough on her people but smart as a whip.  The shows are well written with interesting plots, good acting, detailed insight into the lives of the victims, perpetrators, and police.  Great views of northern British Isles.  I almost think I know the areas now.  And the shows are streamed without interruption, no commercials and there are no 15 minute "hooks" to keep you past any commercial interruption.  The show just flows from one situation into another all the time discovering more clues about the murder, the victims, the perpetrator and the reason it all went down.  Excellent series.  I hope it received lots of awards.  There are only 4 episodes per season but they are excellent.

I'm currently watching "Vera" season 7 via Acorn TV (free) with Amazon Prime.  I have seen most of the other seasons on other streams but I'm always pleased when I pick an episode and it's been so long since I first saw it that I've forgotten the plot.  The show is complex enough and interesting enough to watch over again.

edited December 2020

Watching Leverage and Spenser for Hire on IMDB.  Leverage is smart and funny, and I like Urich's version of Spenser, even though my favorite author, Robert B. Parker, the creator of the character, didn't like that version. 

I blame network TV for watering down any semblance of plot and acting ability, simply because there are so very many prime examles of them doing that.  And yet, the series has some redeeming qualities, particularly the relationships between the major characters in the later seasons.  But Spenser would never have gone through life driving a Mustang and not having a dog, so I get RBP's point.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

I'm enjoying watching "The Closer"/"Major Crimes" again. Almost through. Next is "Firefly"/"serenity" followed by "Castle".

I like "Father Brown" and "Grantchester" as well.

I'll watch almost anything as long it's not "Reality TV".

edited December 2020

Non-complaint:  I think I've come to a conclusion about my next step in resolving my flaky computer issue.  My sick computer is a 10 year old HP Pavilion desktop in a microATX case.  I use that computer for my personal stuff, (web browsing, email, managing the archive storage farm, DVD & Blu-Ray operations, simple, not graphic intensive stuff.  Almost every hardware device in it has been updated within the last few years.  Power supply, memory, new hard drive, new SSD, new DVD, new Blu-Ray, new 4-port USB3 card, new fans, and even a new(er) CPU.  The only things left that might be causing my random reboots is the motherboard or graphics card.

The motherboard does not support on-board graphics so I have to have a graphics card.

The motherboard's support for the graphics card is somehow subtly different from more modern cards and every new modern card I've tried simply does not work at all.  Believe me I've tried.  Research on the Internet finally revealed that I am not incompetent, that yes there was a subtle change in PCIe protocol support for graphics cards about the time my computer was built.  And yes, it does make the incompatible graphic cards simply not work.  I've not been able to find a suitable graphics card, they're apparently just too old and rare.

I have another computer that I built last year.  Great machine that I use exclusively for DAZing and video processing with a very nice modern CPU & graphics card, and lots of memory and internal disk/SSD storage.  But it uses a microATX motherboard in an ATX case.  And despite how nice it is I kind of wish it was nicer.

So, after much mulling the issue over in my head considering all the possibilities and costs I think the best and most exciting thing for me to do is...

1) Transfer the microATX motherboard, CPU & half the memory from my DAZing machine to my old HP case.  Keeping the existing Win10-Pro OS.  That motherboard supports graphics on-board so I won't need a graphics card in the HP case yet.

2) Buy a new, better ATX motherboard, and a better CPU to put into my DAZing machine with half the old memory.  Will also need a new Win10-Pro OS.  I'll also keep the existing graphics card in the DAZing machine.

This will be a lot of work getting all my files and software setup again in both machines, but will, in the long run, give me two great machines each with still a lot of growth potential.  But I'm not afraid of the effort involved and it scratches my itch to build another computer (I quite enjoyed it the last time).  It keeps me occupied and away from the refrigerator & TV.

Now to start shopping!  Wheeee...yes

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

peeked out the window, no valid reason for going out there.

another oatmeal morning,  chickee soup later.

broken heartthere are signs posted for a lost buppy in the area.  i hope Jssper found shelter from the snow storm last night

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670

international store is not responding to my e-mails about the status of my order!  I know it is the holiday season but someone should respond with a one or two line comment.  It has been 15 days since I have placed the order.  I haven't gotten on status update whatsoever ever since.

• The Blurst of TimesThe Blurst of Times Posts: 2,410
    edited December 2020

Ordered Win10 laptop for fam... 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD.

What was received... same model laptop with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

Frack NO. H377 to the no.

That's the fracking wrong thing entirely.

I don't care that the case is the same... the flipping thing is wrong, and $$$$$$ cheaper than what I ordered. Flock that sheep.

Now I am doing factory reset to clear my credentials and repacking to send back to Amazon.

I hope it wasn't a scam. Flaming holidays.

If someone waited on checking out the PC they ordered? They could've been out $$$$$ for nonsense like this.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 2020

TJohn said:

I'm enjoying watching "The Closer"/"Major Crimes" again. Almost through. Next is "Firefly"/"serenity" followed by "Castle".

I like "Father Brown" and "Grantchester" as well.

I'll watch almost anything as long it's not "Reality TV".

I loved The Closer, but didn't like Major Crimes at all.  It just felt like someone was missing.

Also watching Burn Notice.  I like the interplay between Michael Westen and Fiona Glenanne.  Gabrielle Anwar was the best possible actor for that role.

I have Firefly/Serenity on my server, so no commercials.  I've never seen it!  Maybe over Christmas.

I'm also with you on the Reality TV point.  No reality programming is reality-based anyhow.  I mean...they have writers behind the scenes on all of those shows.  If it's a reality show, why do you need writers?  I mean, sure; producers, yes.  Editors, absolutely.  But directors and writers?

Even my favorite show, HGTV's home buying show, was fake.  I'm on my neighborhood's HOA board.  A few years back, the producers reached out to us for permission to do some filming of a house in our neighborhood.  The premise was that this house was one of the three that the buyers were considering purchasing, so they were going to film the property and have that drama moment where the buyers agonize over the decision.

But the home wasn't even for sale!

Fakery, it's all fakery!

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Mystiarra said:

broken heartthere are signs posted for a lost buppy in the area.  i hope Jssper found shelter from the snow storm last night

Hugs and loves for the lost puppy  :< 

• Tonight is "Massively Thick bone-in Ribeye" night.

This piece of meat is thicker than the bullet proof glass at the bank, whoohoo!

Baking it on a sheet pan with potatoes and onions, and it will all get the broiler treatment in about 5 minutes.  Also thinking of making a side dish of corn or peas.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393
    edited December 2020

Interrupting the legitimate complaints to add a trivial one:   After a nearly six hour render I realize I neglected to actually return to the camera I wanted to use before hitting render, thus clipping part of the scene as a result.  Then noticed the blinking didn't come in right (As in, barely at all) and the lil dino's feet are only animated for the first key cycle and never again afterwards  aaaa.

Still, I had fun with this for the most part.  First time actually doing stuff entirely inside Cinema4D without relying on InterPoser Pro which I do still terribly miss.  I think something wonky happened with the Sub Dragon's wings during the Bridge's export process (Which doesn't seem to be made with non-human figures in mind...)  and I had to re-paint the Jumperia's  shoulders since they got weigthed real badly.  Figure that's gonna be a thing for most of my exports...  Re-weighting work and/or  reapplying Pose Morphs (DAZ's Bridge doesn't seem to want to import any morph targets other than the Head ones)

Also, speaking of the Jumperia?  This is my first time using the lil guy!  Had him for years and I never once used him until now.

Half complaint, half noncomplaint  but the "Spline IK" I added to his tail  as always gave me bundles of trouble (for some reason, cutting it in half solved the problem)  but once it worked it worked well!

SubDragon would like to add their complaint in that this little dinosaur thing is being a twerp, and that I'm more interested in complaining about the animation than getting  the lil guy to stop jumping up and down on it!

Post edited by Rezca on
    edited December 2020

Subtropic Pixel said:

Tonight is "Massively Thick bone-in Ribeye" night.

This piece of meat is thicker than the bullet proof glass at the bank, whoohoo!

Baking it on a sheet pan with potatoes and onions, and it will all get the broiler treatment in about 5 minutes.  Also thinking of making a side dish of corn or peas.

EatMorChikn.png
    940 x 788 - 1006K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Rezca said:

Interrupting the legitimate complaints to add a trivial one:   After a nearly six hour render I realize I neglected to actually return to the camera I wanted to use before hitting render, thus clipping part of the scene as a result.  Then noticed the blinking didn't come in right (As in, barely at all) and the lil dino's feet are only animated for the first key cycle and never again afterwards  aaaa.

Still, I had fun with this for the most part.  First time actually doing stuff entirely inside Cinema4D without relying on InterPoser Pro which I do still terribly miss.  I think something wonky happened with the Sub Dragon's wings during the Bridge's export process (Which doesn't seem to be made with non-human figures in mind...)  and I had to re-paint the Jumperia's  shoulders since they got weigthed real badly.  Figure that's gonna be a thing for most of my exports...  Re-weighting work and/or  reapplying Pose Morphs (DAZ's Bridge doesn't seem to want to import any morph targets other than the Head ones)

Also, speaking of the Jumperia?  This is my first time using the lil guy!  Had him for years and I never once used him until now.

Half complaint, half noncomplaint  but the "Spline IK" I added to his tail  as always gave me bundles of trouble (for some reason, cutting it in half solved the problem)  but once it worked it worked well!

SubDragon would like to add their complaint in that this little dinosaur thing is being a twerp, and that I'm more interested in complaining about the animation than getting  the lil guy to stop jumping up and down on it!

I'm still laughing though! laughlaughlaugh 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 2020

...myself as well. 

Love it when the Sub Dragon turns his head with the "why me" expression.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Non-complaint:  Wheee..., Out of curiosity and a need to double-check, I just discovered that my sick computer can actually drive a display without my graphics card.surprise  I've tried doing that previously many years ago and it did not work.  The system was an HP Pavilion desktop that originally came with an ATI graphics card of the time.  Over the years I've tried replacing the graphics card with something newer but none of the new ones ever worked, at all, zero, zip, nada.  And while I was experimenting with new cards I tried running the system with just the on-board video outputs.  But again nothing, zero, nada ever appeared on my display.  I'd always assumed that it was the cheap generic HP motherboard that was incapable of supporting video output natively.  But now it does work, at least using the VGA port.yes  What's different now is that I have recently replaced the original 2-core 2nd generation i5 with a 4-core 2nd generation i5-2500S (HP specifications said it was compatible), but I hadn't since tested the on-board graphic outputs.  But apparently, the new CPU chip has the necessary circuits to utilize the motherboard's graphic support.  Yay!  Happy, happy, joy, joy. smiley

So, this means that now I can test to see if my reboot problem was  actually being caused by the graphics card.  One more variable eliminated.  indecision  If my problem is gone, then I will have saved at least $650 trying to replace this machine. yes  I don't really need super graphics on this machine anymore.  Fingers crossed.

TJohn said:

Rezca said:

I'm still laughing though! laughlaughlaugh 

LOL so cuute 

Rezca said:

Mystiarra said:

Hugs and loves for the lost puppy  :< 

i have to believe he will find home 

edited December 2020

Non-complaining complaint:  I managed to totter up to the grocery store and bought a sh#% load of groceries for the holidays and upcoming bad weather. (I found milk dated two months ahead!, so I got two.)  Wiped out my budget for the month. But in the store I was exhausted and had to stop and catch my breath a couple times.  I had way too many heavy clothes on.  But I was able to make a call get get a ride home.  By time I got the groceries unpacked and stored (my freezer is bursting and had to be repacked) I was exhausted and am about to take a nap.  Old age... it's overrated.frown

warms music, undah dah C

1969smiley

FULL POWWER RUDY!!

only 6 days left

cigarette commercial??surprise