The completely gratuitous complaint thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,455
    edited January 2021

Complaint:  Oh poo.frown  I had ordered a short bookcase on which to set my new computer (and hold my excess of books).  It didn't arrive on time.  I was going to wait until Monday to call the carrier (FedEx) but just now I got a message from the vendor saying that the item had been lost in shippment and they are out of stock.  They've refunded my money but I don't want the money.  I want that particular bookcase because it's just the right height and price and color and I'd searched for a long time to find that one.  Oh, poo.  Now I have to either spend more $$ or make significant changes to my workarea layout involving longer cables, etc, and more $$ anyway.  Boogers.indecision

Non-complaint:  Both of my new computers (the one year old, and the brand new) are now reassembled and cable tied, and back in the network.  Yay!yes  There's still a lot of software work yet to be done, but the hardware's all ready except that I have no place to set my new computer with the window showing off the blinkin' lights where it can be seen.

Still in the non-complaint mode, I just realized that for the last 18 years I've been getting along with ancient computers.  In 2002 I had a 5 year old desktop and a 7 year old laptop, then I found myself out of work and nearly homeless for 6 years.  I got along by repairing computers for other people and keeping old machines that they wanted to dispose of.  I finally got settled here in 2008 and had a stable of  up to eleven, 8 to 12 year old machines that I kept alive for many years but they slowly got euthanized and their organs harvested.  Then I even started disposing of some of the boxes of used computer innards.  I still have three machines about 10-15 years old and two more that are about 20 years old.  Then about a year and a half ago I bit the bullet and started spending real money to start getting modern equipment.  Now I finally have two very nice modern machines.  Not the best, not super gaming machines, but machines that are very fast, have no expected limitation on RAM, or storage, or connectivity.  I guess I should enjoy them and work the hell out of them for the next 3 or 4 years because I'll probably never get a better setup again.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

Mystiarra said:

Fixmypcmike said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

so cold.  justifies a drink and a cake bite

I've never been bitten by a cake.  Does it help tolerate the cold? 

Depends whether it's a vampire cake.

cake is not lie -  i have no idea where the saying comes from, lol 

A game called "Portal"

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,127

Out of confusion, I accidentally bought Forest Gump and apparently I can't return it for a refund.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i'm not sleepy but i dont wanna be awake right now

watching clash of the titans.  sir lawrence version.  i never heard of the goddess thetis.  siri says shes the daughter of the sea god nereus.  never heard of him,.  siri is a know it all.  i tthought athena was a warrior princess goddess, but she the goddess of wisdom.  thought i was savvy on the greek pantheon. turns out not so much.

i thought vesta was a goddess of chastity cuz of the vestal virgin thing.  siri cant find a goddess of chastity.  did any of them a  god or goddess of  celibacy for men?

sic itur ad astra

• Mystiarra said:

watching clash of the titans.  sir lawrence version.  i never heard of the goddess thetis.  siri says shes the daughter of the sea god nereus.  never heard of him,.  siri is a know it all.  i tthought athena was a warrior princess goddess, but she the goddess of wisdom.  thought i was savvy on the greek pantheon. turns out not so much.

i thought vesta was a goddess of chastity cuz of the vestal virgin thing.  siri cant find a goddess of chastity.  did any of them a  god or goddess of  celibacy for men?

sic itur ad astra

Vesta was Latin, the others you meantion are using their Greek names I think.

edited January 2021

Mystiarra said:

sic itur ad astra

As long as we're reciting Latin... "Ad astra per scienciam" 

(Motto of my alma mater)  FIT (Florida Institute of Technology) https://www.fit.edu/ ; First college with an advanced degree in Space Science (yes, where you'd go to study rocket science).  The students of Engineering, Physics, and Math majors would say that the SS degree people were there just taking up space (yuk yuk).indecision

1200px-FIT_Seal.svg.png
    1200 x 1200 - 286K
  • Non-complaint:  It's snowing! Finally, past mid January and we finally have an appreciable amount of snow (5 inches) on the ground again.  Storm came from the west so it's "lake effect" snow.  No more mud.  Yay!yes

edited January 2021

Mystiarra said:

sic itur ad astra

Nereus was one of the Titans, replaced by Poseidon when Zeus overthrew Cronus.  Athena was both goddess of wisdom and a warrior goddess.

ETA:  The Greek equivalent of Vesta was Hestia.  They were goddesses of hearth, home, and family.  I don't know of a male equivalent.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

sic itur ad astra

(Motto of my alma mater)  FIT (Florida Institute of Technology) https://www.fit.edu/ ; First college with an advanced degree in Space Science (yes, where you'd go to study rocket science).  The students of Engineering, Physics, and Math majors would say that the SS degree people were there just taking up space (yuk yuk).indecision

...the University of Wisconsin's motto is Numen Lumen "Divine Light".  

Then there is the Evergreen State College in Olympia A where I spent a few years who's motto is:  Omnia Extrares (non grammatical), which implies "All things should be shown entirely" but is more colloquially translated as "Let it all hang out".

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,180

Dana

edited January 2021

Still non-complaining:  Still snowing, last time I looked there was6 or 7 inches out there.  So weird to be happy about snow. 

Also, I just realized that my link above to the FIT website doesn't work properly but in poking at it I found the FIT Campus Tour on YouTube.

It's so mature and interesting now.  Not at all like the dinky little place I started attending 54 years ago in 1966.  In the 18 years that I attended, worked and lived around that area I watched it evolve from four squat one-story classrooms with a total of 16 classrooms, a two story library buiding, and a single story administration building housing about 8 offices, and three cheap cerealbox dormitories.  I watched the Student Union building being built, along with two more classroom buildings, a proper theatrical auditorium, a 6 story science building with a proper computer center (where I worked), a 6 story dormitory and two more 3 story dorms, adequate parking lots,  the creation of proper paths and bridges winding through the meandering stream in the swamp that was declared a botonical garden.  And although the school was a tiny place, the people involved in its creation had some good contacts.  I think I mentioned here previously that I attended a lecture given by Paul Dirac to only about 6 attendees in an unfinished room of the new Student Union building around a folding table and portable blackboard, as we all sat on metal folding chairs.  So, we may have been small but we weren't entirely out in the boonies of science.

I look at the photos now of what it has become and am amazed.

kyoto kid said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Mystiarra said:

sic itur ad astra

...the University of Wisconsin's motto is Numen Lumen "Divine Light".  

Then there is the Evergreen State College in Olympia A where I spent a few years who's motto is:  Omnia Extrares (non grammatical), which implies "All things should be shown entirely" but is more colloquially translated as "Let it all hang out".

Princeton's motto is Dei Sub Numine Viget, colloquially translated as "God went to Princeton."

yahoo search engine is coming up with artemis/diana as goddess of chastity.  so far only finding catholic preists on male celibacy.

I heard of cronos.

i'm confused between the latin romans and the etruscans.  i think the etruscans were there fist.  so where did the romans come from?

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

Are the etruscans definitely not some type of bite-size snacks?

DanaTA said:

Dana

...great song,  Miss those days.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

NylonGirl said:

Are the etruscans definitely not some type of bite-size snacks?

You're thinking of crustaceans. 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Fixmypcmike said:

Mystiarra said:

sic itur ad astra

Nereus was one of the Titans, replaced by Poseidon when Zeus overthrew Cronus.  Athena was both goddess of wisdom and a warrior goddess.

ETA:  The Greek equivalent of Vesta was Hestia.  They were goddesses of hearth, home, and family.  I don't know of a male equivalent.

Mr. Mom 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072

Mystiarra said:

yahoo search engine is coming up with artemis/diana as goddess of chastity.  so far only finding catholic preists on male celibacy.

I heard of cronos.

i'm confused between the latin romans and the etruscans.  i think the etruscans were there fist.  so where did the romans come from?

Romulus and Remus.

LeatherGryphon said:

Still non-complaining:  Still snowing, last time I looked there was6 or 7 inches out there.  So weird to be happy about snow. 

Also, I just realized that my link above to the FIT website doesn't work properly but in poking at it I found the FIT Campus Tour on YouTube.

It's so mature and interesting now.  Not at all like the dinky little place I started attending 54 years ago in 1966.  In the 18 years that I attended, worked and lived around that area I watched it evolve from four squat one-story classrooms with a total of 16 classrooms, a two story library buiding, and a single story administration building housing about 8 offices, and three cheap cerealbox dormitories.  I watched the Student Union building being built, along with two more classroom buildings, a proper theatrical auditorium, a 6 story science building with a proper computer center (where I worked), a 6 story dormitory and two more 3 story dorms, adequate parking lots,  the creation of proper paths and bridges winding through the meandering stream in the swamp that was declared a botonical garden.  And although the school was a tiny place, the people involved in its creation had some good contacts.  I think I mentioned here previously that I attended a lecture given by Paul Dirac to only about 6 attendees in an unfinished room of the new Student Union building around a folding table and portable blackboard, as we all sat on metal folding chairs.  So, we may have been small but we weren't entirely out in the boonies of science.

I look at the photos now of what it has become and am amazed.

...yeah, Evergreen was this quirky college on the south end of pPuget Sound.   Lovely campus located in large a heavily wooded area on the Northwest edge of Olympia WA.  

Instead of a traditional college curriculum, learning was contract based  whereby a student along with a faculty sponsor would set up a the groundwork for learning contract for  wither a single term or a full academic year .  There were some preset group contracts that dealt with subjects like Computer Science and Natural Resources, but students were allowed, as well as encouraged, to push beyond those boundaries (basically the ability to think "outside the box" was a requirement). 

There were no "majors," or "minors" instead there were "concentrations".  Mine was a fusion of computers, art (where I did my first work in graphics), radio, and music focusing on media production.  Instead of grades students were evaluated at the end of the contract as to how well or poorly they performed. Students were also required to write self evaluations which included what worked, what didn't, what was learned and how one grew through the experience.  In a way, it was set up sort of like a graduate programme at the undergraduate level whereby the end result was a concluding thesis, performance, or project. While it may sound very "liberal" and "freewheeling" compared to a traditional college, it was actually quite difficult and demanding as it required far more effort, dedication, focus, and above all motivation..  

Definitely a very worthwhile experience and one from which I learned far more than I did sitting in a lecture hall or classroom day after day learning by rote.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Mystiarra said:

I heard of cronos.

Just some folks who got tired of roamin' around. 

edited January 2021

whataya call that stuff that turns spanish rice yellow? i remember it being pricey

you ever cook the whole chicken breast on the bone in a cast iron skillet?

from my texas days i remember them cooking the chicken breast and rice in the skillet.  but i dont know the secret.  dunno if they baked the chixn parts first and boiled or steamed the rice before adding to the skillet

does a pot roast cook on the stove top stew pot?  my oven stil broken.  

how do you feel about gorgonzola cheese?  is it too musky?

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited January 2021

Mystiarra said:

whataya call that stuff that turns spanish rice yellow? i remember it being pricey

Saffron, annatto, or turmeric

ETA:  Saffron is the pricey one.  Annatto is from the Americas, turmeric from India through Indonesia, saffron may have originated in Greece or Iran.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
    edited January 2021

Fixmypcmike said:

Mystiarra said:

Thanks.  Saffrron was the one.  not to be confused with sassparilla or sassafras
    trader joes should have saffron

i want to impress relatives with my cast iron skillet skills, cept i has none

still dont know the diff tween a pot roast and a roast beef.  they both roast.  both cow.

ETA:  Saffron is the pricey one.  Annatto is from the Americas, turmeric from India through Indonesia, saffron may have originated in Greece or Iran.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited January 2021

Saffron is wonderful added to cream soups.  Just a tiny pinch into the soup as it's heating.  Turns the white cream color to a light yellow color but the flavor just pops.  Worth the price if you treat it as a special treat and don't use it for everything.  Expensive.  

It's the male sex organs of a crocus flower.surprise  The best stuff is castrated (euniched?) by hand and has limited shelf life.  Comes in air tight metal cans.  Weight of material measured in grams (1 - 2g, $10 - $20).  The last can I bought (now out of date by a year but still has some flavor) came in the can inside a red velvet drawstring bag.indecision

• Fixmypcmike said:

Mystiarra said:

Price does depend on location - my sister brought a tin of saffron back from Spain, I think it cost the same as a little plastic pouch with a few strands from the supermarket here.

complaint  been on hold 15 minutes to cancel a dr appt.  no point in going.  i'll refuse any medicatio n they try to put me on,  i'll refuse to take ff my pants.  i tell them theres nothing to examine in the pants areas.  and i think they make up tests just to run up a bill.
    the initial consultation. cha ching
    go back for the test.  cha ching. 
    go back again cuz they wont tell the results over the phone.  cha ching.

wasnt there a Tifa outfit in the store?

final fantasy vii remake threw in a little gay fantasy for Cloud.

Andrea Rhodea pulls it off with class.  Don Corneo so sleasy, brilliant as a npc character, Cloud handles him tho, lol

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,738

Mystiarra said:

complaint  been on hold 15 minutes to cancel a dr appt.  no point in going.  i'll refuse any medicatio n they try to put me on,  i'll refuse to take ff my pants.  i tell them theres nothing to examine in the pants areas.  and i think they make up tests just to run up a bill.
    the initial consultation. cha ching
    go back for the test.  cha ching. 
    go back again cuz they wont tell the results over the phone.  cha ching.

Don't forget the fee for cancelling an appointment.. 

This discussion has been closed.