Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited July 2016

wow, apart from the tongue stunning realism

please keep on going

Thanks magremoto.

Yup, I know what you mean. I've asked her to eat with her mouth closed, especially during rendering, but she's got a GPU of her own.

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited July 2016

Reply to magaremoto's post below:

This (render on page 73) was done on a gen4 i5 with a GTX980. Rendered with OctaneRender V2.24, it took around 6:30 minutes to get to 1000 s/px (@ 2.75 Ms/sec). Render size was 1200px by 900px. At 2 minutes it looked almost the same with slightly more grain (which I actually prefer). I used the "Path tracing kernel” for the posted image but noticed that with this lighting setup, the "Direct lighting kernel” with “Global illumination mode" set to “Diffuse" looked identical and ran at 3.40 Ms/sec for slightly speedier render.

Lighting was a low res HDRI (Google: HDRI 360° Beach Cavalino Italy) and Realistic sky turned on to produce the light behind her.  

Skin reflection settings used the Octane Material node on “Glossy” with Film Index @ 4.962 / Index @ 1.547 / Roughness @ 0.826 / Film Width @ 0.489 and the bump map brighness was dialed back to 50%.

Attached below is the 1920 X 1080 animation version rendered using the "Direct lighting kernel” with “Global illumination mode" set to “Ambient occlusion". This render took 20 seconds to render which matches my target frame per second goal of 10 seconds a frame with two GPU's.

fullres-animation.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

laugh

which kernel ( and gpu) did you use? how long did the render take?

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569

Long time no render, lol ...

Just a test render of one part of a larger project I'm working on, cheers smiley

CompactCassette.jpg
    1200 x 700 - 212K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Ahh, nostalgia! smiley Cracking good model, nice render

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569

Ahh, nostalgia! smiley Cracking good model, nice render

Lol, yep, good times indeed, thanks smiley

thank you stringtheory, very useful description; I hope that octane will improve more and more to be used in animations and even in real time

first coming out of my Conan under construction

Doc2.jpg
    2155 x 3396 - 773K
    Do3..jpg
    2116 x 3396 - 754K
    daytime close up 1.jpg
    2000 x 2270 - 408K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Long time no render, lol ...

Just a test render of one part of a larger project I'm working on, cheers smiley

Me too! LOL!!! Feels like forever!

I agree with TangoAlpha... cracking great model & render!

String, Love it! I like the first one better than the second, and I agree that the tongue shader is set too smooth (lacking bump) and too much gloss (High Highlight/Low Shininess). I imagine that tweaking shaders for Octane is totally different though....

At any rate, String, That is some spanking good work!

HeadWax, not only are you very gifted... you truly are a Gift!!! Love the video too! Man, that is one heck-uva-nice image! 

Magaremoto, I'm really glad that you're doing work on Conan and can't wait to see the progress! Great start!

edited July 2016

Working on my life-long project again, combined with my 19th anniversary being July 2nd and 4th, Rosie got me the gift of Daz3D!!!

Marcoor FG C4 starship model, along with the SS Marcoor Corridor, SS Marcoor Corridor 2, and SS Marcoor Control Room

These neat kits work in beautifully with where I am with the project, and are surprisingly fun to work with (Shader-wise) in Carrara!

So many nice maps to plug into the channels to get just the right look - of course, they don't load in that way... must be tweaked. But with the included maps and some imagination, the shaders come out nice, quickly ;)

Using the Cave system from Badlands, I quickly put together the approach to the ancient vessel - much to the shocking surprise of Dartan

​Using the two corridor kits, with several Fenric Tree Duplicates (they're "Figure" objects) of each to create a closed loop, sort of thing, along with the wonderful Control Room in the center of it all, I've created an excellent means for these two to fire this bad-boy up and take it beyond the planet they're currently stuck upon.

It's pretty cool how it all works together, though there's still a bit of work before the needed ship interior stages are built.

What really gets me is that these items are so incredibly inexpensive - yet so incredibly well made. From the mesh to the UVs to the very highly detailed maps - complete with displacement, normal, specular (Highlight - often two versions, one glossier than the other) along with the fine color textures - as well as having two color options.

Love it all!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Oh... I forgot to mention that I didn't need to use post work on the above top image to get the god rays coming in from behind like that - it is the result of three spot lights with the cone effect (which is a volumetric effect) set carefully to interact with the cave system's terrain shapes to get those cool rays against the volumetric cloud being used as a dense, hot atmosphere under there. The water is highly acidic to the point where you wouldn't want to get any on ya.... ;)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Oh... I forgot to mention that I didn't need to use post work on the above top image to get the god rays coming in from behind like that - it is the result of three spot lights with the cone effect (which is a volumetric effect) set carefully to interact with the cave system's terrain shapes to get those cool rays against the volumetric cloud being used as a dense, hot atmosphere under there. The water is highly acidic to the point where you wouldn't want to get any on ya.... ;)

nice work dart, thanks for the lighting tips

head wax said:

nice work dart, thanks for the lighting tips

Thanks HW, the lighting was something I've picked up from watching silent videos by Marcelo Teixeira (GK DANTAS), via Carrara Cafe: Volumetric Lighting. He's got so much cool info in those things! Love ya, Marcelo!!! 

HeadWax, thank You for always showing us your kick ass ankle art!!! 

thank you stringtheory, very useful description; I hope that octane will improve more and more to be used in animations and even in real time

first coming out of my Conan under construction

talking about kickass, that some mean conan magaremoto

Dart, thanks for your kindness, your lighting is always superb, it's what a lot of people (including me)  miss,the suggestion of  atmospheric depth

thank you DB and head wax,

DB, I really like your shots, very movie-like

minor improvements on hair and brows here

about Belit, the next to be set up, I think it should be a mix between Kim Kardashian and Kate Beckinsale: does anyone may suggest a genesis face morph similar to one of them?

Doc3.jpg
    2000 x 2270 - 390K

There's something about that cave shot . . . almost looks as if the ship is trying to step back from the water. Love all the little pin lights and holo effects in the second pic too. :)

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Looking Awesome Dart.

Would you mind showing one of the modified shaders for the Ship.

I am still struggling with the shader set up and I have the same ship so If I can see wha tyou have then I should be able to figure it out and learn a bit more as I go.

I have been playing a lot more with shaders for the Carrara Challenge for the Caustics part to try to come up with a good looking Caustics.

edited July 2016

In the folder of textures that comes with the ship, I use the 'disp' maps in the bump channel, not displacement. Normal maps are also included, but I like the effect I get with these. 'Spec' maps in the highlight and the shininess values were already pretty decent so I left those alone. For the Control Room and Corridors, 'LM' maps are luminous masks which go into the glow channel. If you have some of the corridors textured by Ravenheart, they may be called 'mask' instead of LM. I crank my bump channel high because I'm going to be going for a bit of a different effect, but try about 35 and set to taste from there.

ShaderExample.jpg
    695 x 589 - 276K
    edited July 2016

I have a little article on the subject here, at the Carrara Cafe and another here:

► Working with Content

Thanks I will look at it further tonight when at the computer and not a work.

Thanks I will look at it further tonight when at the computer and not a work.

My pleasure. After looking through those, I really need to write up a much better intro to shaders. Once you get familiar with a few basic tweaks that work well towards getting the shaders at a good 'base', it becomes quite fun and addicting to make them even better and better.

Ahh yes... Carrara's Texture room. One of my favorite places to hang out!

I've got some fun and simply new lighting tecniques that I've been using a lot lately, just to test them for consistency, and I've really been liking the speed and ease of the setup. I plan to publish an article on that as well ;)

Thanks,

I am trying to work on a layered shader to apply a patch on to a coin, so have been looking a lot at the manual to see how to do it.

Haven't managed anything I am happy with.

edited July 2016

Here is my attempt at fixing the shaders on Marcoor.

morcoor shaders fixed.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 117K
    Post edited by chickenman on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

This was my entry in the Song Bird Remix yearly challenge over at Hivewire... waving the Carrara flag smiley

edited July 2016

Here is my attempt at fixing the shaders on Marcoor.

Very nice! ;)

Stezza said:

This was my entry in the Song Bird Remix yearly challenge over at Hivewire... waving the Carrara flag smiley

Bravo!!! I love Ken... and his excellent models! Great guy. Great bird kits!

EDIT: I love how they each come with a little bird guide for each of the species represented in the kit. Very cool!

edited July 2016

This was an experiment in the volumetric lighting of Carrara without using volumetric clouds at all (trying to carve off some render time - as v-clouds can slow render times a bit).

Oldie-but-goodie Stonemason scene: Dungeon Corner

Stezza said:

that's bludy terrific, love his birds, I won something in that contest a few years ago, he is very kind.

those penguins in your render look so realistic. I never knew they had such big beaks thou...

seriously, it's a fine work, really impressed

I was reading about dookits the other night, those nasty scots steal each other's pigeons, can't trust anyone!

I agree. Very nice work, Stezza!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

thanks guys..

I was lucky enough to get 1st prize in last years contest but missed out all together this year... some really good entries for sure ... will try again next year :-)

@headwax you didn't think a scot would buy one did you lol

@Dartan: Is that what they mean by a "hangout"?

@Stezza: Awesome!

@Chickenman: Looks like she's due some time in a maintenance yard!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

well Stezza I am not bothering to fish in that bend of the Murray .....

This discussion has been closed.