Post Your Renders - Happy New Year yall

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited July 2016

Cool render, Phil! Love the SP work/experimenting, Mark! 

Here is something I'm using a lot now, since it renders fast and works really well and predictably in Carrara: Using the Light Cone effect as the volumetric effect that it is.

I've always looked at that Fog option, and then ignored it. No more.

I've just made a simple image to use as a gel in the spot light. This controls the volume to a point - along with the other cone controls. 

Then it's a matter of setting up the differences between the General light settings and the effect. 

When it comes to building a stage like this one, light cones can really look corny, especially if we're after a semi-realistic (or realistic) result. This process changes all of that.

Since we're using a gel to control the volume, and Carrara's image-loader interface has various flip and rotate functions, we can easily adjust duplicates of the same spot light to provide quite unique-looking results before we even think about changing other aspects of the light settings - as this image shows.

For sake of this demonstration, I made certain that my post work didn't alter the cone effect made in Carrara. Yes, I added some glow to the other lights in the scene, but not the ones using the cone effect.

Each cone-producing light is using the same image. I only changed (flipped/rotated) the gel of two lights which was the speed of pressing a button. The other differences are simply due to how Carrara's cameras deal with volumes - in that, the more consumed the camera becomes, the less opaque the effect - which is true of real fog as well.

Anyways... just thought I'd show this because I know that some folks (rightfully so) tend to stay away from cone effects. The main principle here is that I was originally just seeking to alter the evenness of the edge of the cone(s) to be rid of that prop cone effect look. A black and white gel image could certainly do that. But a gray scale cloud rendering really makes for a wonderful fog gel, as it changes the density of the fog throughout the volume, not just along the edge... which is even more than what I was hoping for!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Have you tried using photometric / IES profiles for the lights? They're starting to appear in Iray renders, and while they're supported in Carrara, I've never seen anyone talk about using them.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

Have you tried using photometric / IES profiles for the lights? They're starting to appear in Iray renders, and while they're supported in Carrara, I've never seen anyone talk about using them.

Old forum sadly

was lots said esp. by Dimension Theory

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Ah, alas. :(

edited July 2016

Ringo has done a bunch of renders with them (photometric / IES profiles for the lights) in the earlier parts of this thread, I believe. If not this one, the 'Renders' thread just prior to this one. I think it's this one though.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited July 2016

I use IES profiles on my lights all the time. So much so that I downloaded a free IES file viewer/editor just to play some more with them.  They work very well in Carrara, although in my experience you have to turn up the strength of the light a little bit.

There's a video on using them in Carrara here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhj5xulB8r4 (no sound sadly, but still informative).

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    MDO2010 said:

I use IES profiles on my lights all the time. So much so that I downloaded a free IES file viewer/editor just to play some more with them.  They work very well in Carrara, although in my experience you have to turn up the strength of the light a little bit.

There's a video on using them in Carrara here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhj5xulB8r4 (no sound sadly, but still informative).

Cool! Yes, I love GKDANTAS' video tutorials. So there's no sound... no biggie. I just pause when I need to. He has a LOT of them! Here's an index I've made of them:

► GK Dantas' Video Manual Index

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

test on hdr + sunlight, IL mode

slightly touched up in post

the model can be grabbed here: https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/character-people/man/casual-male-walking-pose

Mark.jpg
    3600 x 4086 - 2M
    Mark 1.jpg
    3600 x 4086 - 2M

close-up, same settings

very nice model indeed, lot of fun

Doc2.jpg
    3600 x 4086 - 6M
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Very good - great realism!

LOL! I just browsed past that very model at CGT!!! I came in here and... well looky here! :)

I agree with Phil... Very good - Great realism!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Dartanbeck , thanks for the heads up on the fog, used it the other day after many years of not using it,  after reading your post, works pretty well.

@magaremoto   nice render. love the blackheads in the nose pores

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Using Ken's new lizard base in Carrara... and all the morphs work .. yip ya yes

thank you all, my compliments to the french author of the figure; the map is way better than those provided by daz (!). carrara is capable of rendering realistic outcomes but very often shaders and maps suck. by the way it took only ten minutes for each render

Belit (V4 based), study on skin

Doc3.jpg
    1200 x 1362 - 158K
    doc3 ps.jpg
    1200 x 1362 - 133K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

first render of Lagoon Living in rara, heart
    haz to fix all the glowy surfaces.

lagoonliving.png
    800 x 600 - 418K
    LagoonLivingCapture.JPG
    840 x 743 - 171K
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited July 2016

A house, from the old Google house... of 3D wares, for a scene I'm building. It's been modified and completely retextured. Rendered in the Carrara native rendered.

house.jpg
    1200 x 829 - 939K
    Post edited by Chohole on

Beautiful render and just gorgeous shaders! Good job on the reconstruction! Very nicely done!

• Thanks Dart laugh

A house, from the old Google house... of 3D wares, for a scene I'm building. It's been modified and completely retextured. Rendered in the Carrara native rendered.

super, looks real

:)

Stezza said:

Using Ken's new lizard base in Carrara... and all the morphs work .. yip ya yes

ah the old lizard fetish eh?

good to see works in carrara

very cool shaders stringtheory and realistic outcome as well; maybe too greenish reflections for a cloudy day, but it's gonna be very funny to play with

• Thanks head wax!

Thanks mageremoto, yes now that you point it out the green reflection doeds look out of place. Something to work on. Thanks!

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569

Just an old calculator, modeled in Silo and rendered in Carrara, some texturing done in Substance Painter, DOF and glow effects added in Fusion, cheers smiley

Calculator.jpg
    1280 x 650 - 348K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Very nice model and textures!

edited July 2016

highly recommend vwd plugin

this poncho was a vertex plane that i booleaned with a cylinder the same size as k4 neck 

then ran through the sim - took about 30 seconds

lots of caustic caused that fog in background

philw's excellent portrait studio and philw's bright eyes for glint in eyes

Post edited by Headwax on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

very nice

bigh said:

very nice

+1 yes

thanks bigh and dart ! the caustics really add something else, so glad we worked on them for the challenge

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Glad the challenge inspired you to try something else with the caustics

This discussion has been closed.