Pay it Forward Daz3d Style

ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
edited June 2023 in The Commons

PAYITFORWARD
In a random thread I was reading, I saw a comment that struck home with me...
It might have been a debate about Daz's upgrades are leaving those with older computers behind.

Anwyhoo... to get to the meat,

I recently had a house move, and I am a hoarder, the wifes a minimalist.  We went from a big house to a medium sized house, or put another way, I had to put 10lbs of Crap in a 5lb bag.
The Hoarder always looks bad in a house move, and the minimalist smells like roses...

I upgraded my system last year from a Intel i5 6600K and 16GB ram to a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X with 32GB of Ram....

That "old system" has kind of been lying around in the way and is now part of "the clutter", so I thought, "time to pay it forward" and let somebody else enjoy it because my floor certainly isn't getting anything out of it.

I haven't figured out how to attach pictures to Private Messages, and I wanted to let the one on the recieving end see what they were getting... so I gotta do it here.

The Case isn't going, as the items are going from Central Europe to North America and I wanted to save a bit on shipping/the other is a screen shot of the computer running, right before I broke it down to pack it up...

Inteli5.jpg
800 x 600 - 193K
Intel_i5-6600K_16GB-Ram_GforceGTX650.jpg
490 x 354 - 314K
Post edited by Chumly on

Comments

• Great idea!

• Victor_BVictor_B Posts: 391

I don't understand, Chumly. Do you want to send me a gift? ;)

• I usually donate my older stuff to local  elementary schools. They're really happy to take them. They even pick them up.

JVRenderer said:

I usually donate my older stuff to local  elementary schools. They're really happy to take them. They even pick them up.

I hope this doesn't apply to old socks. ;)

• If you think about it, repurposing parts no longer being used is a great way to recycle and help out those who can't afford to upgrade and those parts are still good, older doesn't mean useless. Considering how often I mentioned the fact I have been using a 15 yr old computer and Daz works on it..sorta, iray and dforce are a problem, then someone's discards that are 5 yrs old will seem like a dream come true.

I think this is a wonderful idea Chumly.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,586

...we have a tech co-op in town here that accepts old but useable computers and components components for donation.  

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,575

I really need to do this myself. my last 4 rigs are sitting in the closet and I am planning on building/getting a new one this year. Guess I need to look into my optiions as to who to donate them to and how to wipe the HD of any personal info.

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Well...
    If I had another system to find a home for, I'd send it to Wendyluvscats.  For purely selfish reasons in that, if I want to try to figure out how to do something here, 86% of the time Wendy has a post in a thread on how I can do it. 
    Also, she likes to poke around under the hood of daz and get her fingers greasey figuring it all out.
    Reading between the lines of what she says, I'd say she has an older system... if she had a newer one with bells and whistles, it wouldn't lay idle, she'd use it to benefit us all.

• Wendy also likes to animate and I'm hoping to one day pick her brain for information lol

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited February 2021

Actually just giving it away in these forums is a good ideal. I know it took me some months to buy all the pieces of my desktop last year and I've seen others in the forums similarly dire computing circumstances. laugh

You know what's really wierd was I was going to give away a printer I'd used only a couple of times and the charity shop told me that don't take any sort of 'computer items'. They did take all the kitchen cooking appliances I brought them though so not all was lost.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • you can use for mining some cryptos as Vertcoin ...or like a true virtual machine installing all kind of bloatware or freeware and testing it.

• This a fantastic gesture. Unfortunately the sceptic in me thinks a lot of people would abuse this. How are you ensuring that it goes to someone who won't just flip it on ebay.
  • LOL I just read this thread now and need to tell you I live in Australia devil that is far to far away even if I needed it, very kind but I am sure there are other's far more worthy heart

I do have two computers myself and am currently on the older Win7 one rendering in Carrara native engine as it has the better CPU

I am fine I just get annoyed so much new stuff needs over the top hardware but since I own so terribly much DAZ content already I have no shortage of content to render yes

I need to walk more and exercise actually not sit by the computer and eat as I have a fatty liver I learnt

so thanks but I am fine angel

edited February 2021

droidy001 said:

This a fantastic gesture. Unfortunately the sceptic in me thinks a lot of people would abuse this. How are you ensuring that it goes to someone who won't just flip it on ebay.

I hear you droidy...

And for a long time I thought similarly, and sadly, it kept me from throwing change to beggers as I passed on the street (I had an experience early in life where I got the same con, by the same beggar, in the same spot almost EXACTLY 1 year apart that left me jaded).

But, I just can't let worrying about "if other people do the right thing" interfere with me, "doing the right thing"

If I give a system to somebody, and they sell it at a flea market, that is on them...
    What I might not know is that they sold the system so that they could buy their kid the one thing they wanted for their birthday... or maybe they just sold the system to buy drugs to get high....
    Doesn't really matter to me anymore.  At the end of the day, I saw a need and filled it... the rest is on them, I'll sleep like a log at night regardless.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Wedyluvscats
    "I just read this thread now and need to tell you I live in Australia devil that is far to far away even if I needed it"
    Actually, where this one is going (and from where)... it was the same price as if it was going to Australia... I know cause I checked at the post office when I sent it out.  It gives me a greater appreciation for what those of you who live on the "fringes" have to put up with.

Post edited by Chumly on
  • mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    I was perfectly happy with my 286 and amber screen.
  • Chumly said:

droidy001 said:

This a fantastic gesture. Unfortunately the sceptic in me thinks a lot of people would abuse this. How are you ensuring that it goes to someone who won't just flip it on ebay.

I hear you droidy...

And for a long time I thought similarly, and sadly, it kept me from throwing change to beggers as I passed on the street (I had an experience early in life where I got the same con, by the same beggar, in the same spot almost EXACTLY 1 year apart that left me jaded).

But, I just can't let worrying about "if other people do the right thing" interfere with me, "doing the right thing"

If I give a system to somebody, and they sell it at a flea market, that is on them...
    What I might not know is that they sold the system so that they could buy their kid the one thing they wanted for their birthday... or maybe they just sold the system to buy drugs to get high....
    Doesn't really matter to me anymore.  At the end of the day, I saw a need and filled it... the rest is on them, I'll sleep like a log at night regardless.

I know the feeling, I'm the only human in the world that nobody wants my gifts (a near family member rejected an expensive guitar from me on his birthday, a car to my fiancee (then I drop her), a home for my...whatever)

due to that I never give something to nobody after all 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited February 2021

That's really nice of you Chumly.

I don't have anything more to contribute to this topic, but as a fellow "collector" of stuff I admire your attitude and kindness.

On a different note... In the event that this thread becomes a gifting thread for items people no longer need, I just want to put it out there that I have what I think is a human liver I found on a sidewalk in Brooklyn a couple dozen years ago. 
    It looked pretty moist and clean when I found it, but I've realized I'm probably never going to use it in any of my projects or anything... it's just been sitting there in a box getting moldy for all these years and somebody could probably use it...
    By the way, I'm also not sure if it's a human liver... it's too big, but I figured bigger is usually better, and it's probably at least a mammal liver of some sort. 
    Well... just putting that out there... Also I haven't looked in the box in a few years, so I don't know if it's still there... It stopped making that "aged liver" smell a long time ago and the mice sometimes get into these kind of things.

Cheers!

Post edited by McGyver on

Giftee... check the PMs for the tracking number, it is on the way!

• Zilvergrafix said:

Chumly said:

droidy001 said:

I hear you droidy...

I know the feeling, I'm the only human in the world that nobody wants my gifts (a near family member rejected an expensive guitar from me on his birthday, a car to my fiancee (then I drop her), a home for my...whatever)

due to that I never give something to nobody after all 

I understand the scepticism Droidy and the let down Zilvergrafix. It doesn't feel good when you discover how deceptive, ungrateful and uncaring people can be. Good deeds take a beating every day because of people like that. I've had my share of let downs and being taken advantage of, however, I don't let that beat me down. The way I see it, the point of charity is to help someone else, not yourself. If you do good thing because of what it can gain you...recognition, reward, etc, then you're not doing it for those who need help, you're doing it for yourself.

There is no law that you have to go help someone right now, this thread does not even have to exist. If you want to know if someone truely needs help, read the forums, you will know who is struggling and who isn't and just reach out to them. Or better yet, ask another member you are familiar with and trust the answer from.

• Faeryl Womyn said:

If you want to know if someone truely needs help, read the forums, you will know who is struggling and who isn't and just reach out to them.

Sadly, that's not true at all. Most people who are struggling don't want others to know that they are, and will hide it better than most overpaid actors. It's not that folks don't want help, but the old "beggars can't be choosers" mindset does so much harm, because it makes people who are struggling feel that they are looked down upon when they do reach out, when really no one chooses to be in need.

The idea of giving away last gen tech to those in need is a great idea, here's hoping more threads like these appear in more places.

• LMAO McGyver you are a riot.

Can I get my gift now?

;)

edited February 2021

Victor_B said:

Can I get my gift now?

;)

The liver?...

Uhhh... yeah... funny story... Actually, not so funny...

Apparently, you can't keep an unrefrigerated liver in a box for 28 years... you'd think that would be the kinda stuff that would be covered in school or church... Maybe home economics or shop class or something... or public service announcements... like Hoot the Owl... but a singing liver instead.

"Hey kids... Give a hoot and don't leave that liver in a box..."...Ugh... boot rhymes with hoot, but nobody stores livers in boots... Megh... Whatever.

Well anyway, I tossed it in the yard and the raccoons took it right away, so on the plus side I won't have to figure out how to dispose of it... on the negative side, I've given the raccoons a taste for human flesh.

Hopefully that won't turn into a 2020 kind of problem... but if there is suddenly a Murder Raccoon outbreak, it wasn't my fault.

Do you know a normal stories?

edited February 2021

Victor_B said:

Do you know a normal stories?

Hmm... I bought a donut the other day.

I ate it in my car...

It was kinda good.

But was that really worth mentioning?

Then again that could be a horrifying story if you were a donut person... it's all about perspective and one's definition of normal and whether they are a hybrid fried dough life form or not.

The spice of life is not found on the path well trodden, but buried under the tree stump of peculiarity in the garden of wonder... yes, it may be covered in the pigeon poop of disappointment at times... but when you find that spice and scrape away that poo, it is a wonderful thing to behold... and it goes great on French toast or sprinkled on a light salad maybe with those little bacon crumbles... I love bacon...

I forgot where I was going with that, but now I'm hungry...

In short to answer your question... uh... No.

Also you never answered my question... and I'm sorry if you did want that liver, but now it's gone... we all have to face disappointment at some times because eventually the raccoons will come for us all... I meant that metaphorically, or poetically... I'm not sure which, because I'm not good with word stuff, but now that actual raccoons got that liver, I'm thinking that eventually raccoons may be coming for all of us.

In summary... I'm hungry and I'm also sorry about the liver (if you wanted it) and sorry my stories are not normal but normal is friggin' boring.
    Realistically, if people wanted normal, the Star Wars saga would have been titled differently and been about a guy who went to get his taxes done, but his car got towed and he spent years trying to fight the ticket and not have to pay the fine.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,849
    edited February 2021

I have a fatty liver, and a big gallstone apparently, had an ultrasound last week because my bloodwork was concerning. I am foi gras, tastes good with fava beans and a nice Chianti, but not chips if you are Golem devil 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited January 2022

OK, many thanks to Chumly for giving me his no longer needed modular SeaSonic Gold 750W PSU. It's running my PC here now.

That leaves me with a now unused nonmodular SeaSonic Bronze 450W PSU. Amazon.com says I bought it November 10th, 2019 but it went in service the 1st week of February 2020 until today January 19th, 2022, so almost 2 years.

AmazonSmile: Seasonic S12III 450 SSR-450GB3 450W 80+ Bronze ATX12V & EPS12V Direct Cable Wire Output Smart & Silent Fan Control Power Supply : Electronics 

Ignore the crazy price on Amazon for it now; I paid $41.84 for it, not the $339.99 that someone else is asking now for it. It's free. I only list the price and listing so you know what exactly what you're getting. 

I can ship it USPS to any address the USPS considers domestic. Sorry, international folk, it'd cost more to ship the item that what it cost new.

It's yours if you want it, if not, I'll list it on Craig's List in the 1st week of February 2022 and give it to them. PM me for details if you want the SeaSonic 450W PSU.

Glad it found a new home!

If I can ever score a 3090 at MSRP, I'll have a GTX 1060 6GB Video Card to pass on!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,849

a bit off topic

but

I belatedly got the issue fixed last wek that very likely cost me some of my hardware and various appliances so that's a positive.

Got the Linespersons out to fix my connection to the powerpole in the street that was apparently shorting!

I thought my house needed rewiring so ignored it for 3 years or more, one PSU and a Mobo later plus a fridge, microwave and kettle I finally have a steady power supply.

Can finally use my air conditioner and air fryer without my lights strobing. cheeky

edited January 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

a bit off topic

but

I belatedly got the issue fixed last wek that very likely cost me some of my hardware and various appliances so that's a positive.

Got the Linespersons out to fix my connection to the powerpole in the street that was apparently shorting!

I thought my house needed rewiring so ignored it for 3 years or more, one PSU and a Mobo later plus a fridge, microwave and kettle I finally have a steady power supply.

Can finally use my air conditioner and air fryer without my lights strobing. cheeky

I know the frustration. The primary reason I moved back to USA from Switzerland was my mom was getting old and the absolutely crummy landline phone service she subscribed to kept repeatedly failing. I had to live close enough by to regularly check. It was very worrying. She died a few years back but that phone land phone line is still failing all the time out there for her neighbors. It's very shoddy work and that after that phone company received much money in government grants to remedy those problems out there. No cell service out there either but the price of both cell phone and land line service has sky rocked to be so high as to make monthly satellite phone service a competitive option! Well, with the caveat you absolutely avoid exceeding your alloted monthly talk minutes. Crazy!  

It would be so cool if solar panels and batteries were ever made efficient enough to not need these electricity utilities with their inefficient and aging power lines and transformers. They are fire hazards (the state of California being a prime example although I don't live there), ridiculously expensive, and have shoddy service in too many locations.