Pay it Forward Daz3d Style

12346»

Comments

• AgitatedRiot said:

butterflyfish said:

I think so? I have a Gigabyte B560.

Why yes, it is. What ya running in that socket?

It's an i5 11400F.

• butterflyfish said:

AgitatedRiot said:

butterflyfish said:

It's an i5 11400F.

Do you live in the US? I got my Intel 19-10850k 3.6 Hhz, which runs 4.8 out of the box. Up for grabs after the 22nd, would you like? I might even ship it to Canada. I think we still can. I'll have to make sure first before I send it. I don't want to break International laws.

• AgitatedRiot said:

butterflyfish said:

AgitatedRiot said:

butterflyfish said:

It's an i5 11400F.

Do you live in the US? I got my Intel 19-10850k 3.6 Hhz, which runs 4.8 out of the box. Up for grabs after the 22nd, would you like? I might even ship it to Canada. I think we still can. I'll have to make sure first before I send it. I don't want to break International laws.

I do live in the US. I'm in Massachusetts. That would be awesome! Thank you. 

• butterflyfish said:

AgitatedRiot said:

butterflyfish said:

AgitatedRiot said:

butterflyfish said:

It's an i5 11400F.

I'll PM you when it's out of this computer. 

• AgitatedRiot said:

butterflyfish said:

AgitatedRiot said:

butterflyfish said:

AgitatedRiot said:

butterflyfish said:

It's an i5 11400F.

I'll PM you when it's out of this computer. 

OK, great. Thanks again! 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,630
    edited December 2023

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

In need of a good home:

EVGA 1600W Titanium Power Supply

128G DDR4,  ( 8 x 16G ) This is Desktop memory, not the shorter SODIMMs for laptops. I'd like to give away two 64G configurations.

...ah noticed both 64 GB DDR4 kits already went.

Need to bookmark this thread as it's been difficult  trying to put funds away for the upgrade I need to move to W11. Still running on a 12 year old Windows 7 system.  Don't need drives or the GPU (going to keep the same SSDs and also have an RTX3060 that my old MB's BIOS won't recognise). 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • butterflyfishbutterflyfish Posts: 1,129
    edited February 4

As promised, here are a couple of renders done on the new CPU. I didn't let the first render finish because the CPU was heating up more than I liked. But I don't think it was going to do much more anyway.

I don't know how to make them show up larger than the thumbnails. lol

neo city alley.jpg
    667 x 1080 - 272K
    CJ Anya G9 Emberlynn Hair.jpg
    667 x 1080 - 158K
    Post edited by butterflyfish on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    edited February 4

after posting refresh page, open image upload

copy URL

use the image icon and populate these 2 tabs with the image URL as shown

max size to keep formatting 700p

new window to stop navigating away from page

don't delete your thumbnails, they will appear in a phantom post, ignore it

if you delete them you will still see your images as in browser cache but no-one else will

image info.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 244K
    link.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 166K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,309

butterflyfish said:

As promised, here are a couple of renders done on the new CPU. I didn't let the first render finish because the CPU was heating up more than I liked. But I don't think it was going to do much more anyway.

I don't know how to make them show up larger than the thumbnails. lol

I hope you like it, and it's do you good. 

edited February 4

Use XTU from Intel to lower the clock speeds to stop the CPU from heating up too much. Drop the core clock speeds to about 3.5 3.7 range; I can't remember setting affinity worked in the Advance Render settings to keep it cool.

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)  

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

Thanks Wendy. I would not have figured that out.

And thanks again, AgitatedRiot. I will try that. 

Interesting. Windows 11 is blocking that Intel program, preventing it from starting. Something to do with Windows Virtualization-based Security (VBS). I don't even understand what that is. But Intel is telling me I have to go through the BIOS for overclocking (and presumably underclocking?). 

edited February 4

butterflyfish said:

Interesting. Windows 11 is blocking that Intel program, preventing it from starting. Something to do with Windows Virtualization-based Security (VBS). I don't even understand what that is. But Intel is telling me I have to go through the BIOS for overclocking (and presumably underclocking?). 

Yeah, you have to enable Virtualization in the Bios. About 1:18 into the video.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206
    edited April 15

I live in a major center and I haven't had good service in years. The major players in my area all have issues.

My main beef about older computers is that it's sometimes had to get drivers for whatever you want to do, DAZ-wise. Another slap on my carpal tunnel wrist this year came in the form of me trying one of those radical "Wavy" ergonomic super natural keyboards - the Logitech "COMFORT WAVE" MK550. Big difference compared to sticking with cheap and used! A dream to type on. So there is that factor, eg. of missing out on all the new stuff if you stay with old and used.

The big thing for me in the last few years was TWO DESKTOPS briefly catching fire, eg. sparks and little flames coming out of the power supply. Days apart, this happened. But I was there each time I and quiickly pulled the plug and got out the Florient. Oh, I knew there were purpose-build "gamer" machines out there but I wasn't keen on going that way on account of the buckage, $$$. But this time I saw the light and I paid around $150 each for two Antecs. (Antec is a manufacturer) They both have wicked looking "gamer black" paint jobs.

Comparing the p.s. that clone assemblers used in the late 1990's say, through to the turn of the century maybe, with a recent, heavy duty replacement design is like comparing a dusty Volkswagen Beetle to a Cadillac.

Anyway, a fellow CompuServe forums user, a complete stranger once sent me a hard drive when I was down on the dumpsters so yeah, I try pay it forward here at my end frown

20240204_1737h_Antec_PS.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 392K
    Post edited by Roman_K2 on
  • Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,346

Roman_K2 said:

I live in a major center and I haven't had good service in years.The major players in may area all have issues.

My main beef about older computers is that it's sometimes had to get drivers for whatever you want to do, DAZ-wise. Another slap on my carpal tunnel wrist this year came in the form of me trying one of those radical "Wavy" ergonomic super natural keyboards - the Logitech "COMFORT WAVE" MK550. Big difference compared to sticking with cheap and used! A dream to type on. So there is that factor, eg. of missing out on all the new stuff if you stay with old and used.

The big thing for me in the last few years was TWO DESKTOPS briefly catching fire, eg. sparks and little flames coming out of the power supply. Days apart, this happened. But I was there each time I and quiickly pulled the plug and got out the Florient. Oh, I knew there were purpose-build "gamer" machines out there but I wasn't keen on going that way on account of the buckage, $$$. But this time I saw the light and I paid around $150 each for two Antecs. (Antec is a manufacturer) They both have wicked looking "gamer black" paint jobs.

Comparing the p.s. that clone assemblers used in the late 1990's say, through to the turn of the century maybe, with a recent, heavy duty replacement design is like comparing a dusty Volkswagen Beetle to a Cadillac.

Anyway, a fellow CompuServe forums user, a complete stranger once sent me a hard drive when I was down on the dumpsters so yeah, I try pay it forward here at my end frown

I'm confused, are you saying ergonomic keyboards don't work on older machines. Kinda makes me wonder what you mean by old and what keyboards, cause I had an ergonomic keyboard in the early 2000's with a Pentium 4 and using Win98.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

I started out thinking about graphics cards, or in the case of some older "all-in-one", pizza box motherboards the graphics circuits, like "Intel Graphics", that come with the machine. Have had a few problems making DAZ Studio go.

Then I gave a couple of examples of new stuff that I tried instead of going for "used": the "latest" ergonomic keyboards and REAL gamer-type power supplies as compared to what cut-rate PC assemblers might include.

I've had a go at several news things lately - Samsung and Wacom tablets, a Canon printer, a Dell laptop - that did not exactly come with a manual or tutorials.

HOPEFULLY  the "u,v,w" ergonomic keyboard of your choice will work when you plug it into your "x,y,z" computer. I can see that the Logitech MK550 "Comfort Wave" has more than a dozen un-marked buttons on it, including a cute circular "rocker" switch for the volume. Ooooh, I just tried that and it works, again on an older computer, bought used, that is running Windows 10. And I have a DAZ Studio render running concurrently.

To the lower left of the circular rocker Logitech put a "Stop" button which... apparently causes Youtube videos to stop. Heh. Learn something every day. But "Play/Pause" is relegated to a SEPARATE button on the lower LEFT side. These two buttons (again, of more than a dozen) also have a different spring action - they are a bit harder to press.

I'm not going to trip the "Power symbol / PC" button right now. frown