Pay it Forward Daz3d Style

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,954

OK, well no takers for the 450W PS, not a surprise really. It's not the sort of thing that's useful on it's own. I'll give it away locally.

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited June 2022

Holy Cow... I just read a thread where somebody just dropped $170 on a GTX 1050....

My guess is, there are members here that have GTX 1060s (or better) on a shelf, cause they have moved on to other cards.

If you have older equipment that is just sitting around... how about paying it forward?

I have a GTX 1060 that i will gladly get rid of, as soon as my RTX 3xxx comes in.

Post edited by Chumly on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008
    edited June 2022

Chumly said:

Holy Cow... I just read a thread where somebody just dropped $170 on a GTX 1050....

My guess is, there are members here that have GTX 1060s (or better) on a shelf, cause they have moved on to other cards.

If you have older equipment that is just sitting around... how about paying it forward?

I have a GTX 1060 that i will gladly get rid of, as soon as my RTX 3xxx comes in.

What idiot would spend $170 on a GTX 1050?

Oh, wait... that was me... 

Ah, I've done worse... I have a useless goat I traded for some magic beans, and now the jerk with the beans is rich... of course, he put all his money in NFTs, so I don't see that lasting... but I couldn't even trade the stupid goat for a video card... pfft... stores these days.

I just wanted to say, this thread and the offers contained within are a very commendable and generous thing to do.

Cheers.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,446

How does this work? Do you select someone on the forum at random to send an item to?

I've got a system. AMD/CPU. Eight years old (I know other people have older). I can't afford to replace it (on minimum income), so I've been trying to find others ways to improve it. Except, I'm less of a computer whizz than what I thought I was (especially when it comes to looking for GPUs and what-not), and I have no idea what I'm looking for (although I know prices, and some of those are eye watering).

Sorry if I'm fishing. It's actually taken me quite a while to find the guts to post this - Months, in fact. 

Apologies if this isn't the way to do this. I just thought I'd ask/put my problems out there.

edited June 2022

Honestly, I just read peoples posts.  Nobody specifically 'asked' for anything I have given, but when I read stuff like, "I'd really like to use strand based hair, but my xyz old computer keep crashing because I am trying to run daz off of a xyz pentium... yadda yadda....

Then I PM them and say, "Hey, I know this is going to sound wierd, but I got an i7/MB/16gb RAM and a power supply you can have if you are brave enough to PM me your mailing address."  I pay shipping to... as, hey, its a gift, and some of the folks that really need help often live on the fringes.

The only other caveat is that I like to put my stuff in the hands of folks that are active contributors to the forum.  I never said I was completely alturistic.  If I can help make somebody's machine better, and that somebody is a regular contributor to this forum, I am really helping out hundreds of people, not just the computer part recipient.

A lot of the most prolific posters here on the forum are retirees or at home for medical reasons etc.  They are also most likely to be on a fixed income, and can't update their machines on a whim like... I can (to some degree).

And lastly, forum membership length is a factor.  If you just joined an hour ago and are already looking for a hound out...  well.. you know.

Post edited by Chumly on
    edited June 2022

Oooops...
    Forgot to add N-RArts

Building a computer isn't that hard... upgrading, not so much either.  There are plenty of you toob videos on doing every aspect of it.  If you have ANY computer nerd friends, most of the time they are willing to help/show you how to do it.... all you gotta do is ask.

There are a couple of decent sites to find parts etc... pcpartspicker.com is a good one, you can see what others have built and get suggestions for things in your price range.
    I also check slickdeals out daily, its a site where users post good deals that they have found

https://slickdeals.net/computer-deals/

Post edited by Chumly on
    edited June 2022

@N-RArts
    What is your system currently? 
    Windows?

If a Windows system, hit the windows key and then type in the search bar "about your pc" and see what the screen that pops up says.

If yours is 8 years old, its "hard" to upgrade it much without wasting money.  The Motherboard/CPU/RAM are really the heart of what is going on in a computer... Us Daz-o-philes also rely on Graphics Processors as well... but the 'core' of what you have really determines what your upgrade path is... 

AMD is set to release their next generation of Processors in the fall... which should have a trickle down effect for pricing on the older stuff and what will come in as "refurbished" for discount.
    My current plan is to start selling off some 'junk' via e-bay/craigslist to have my war-chest ready when the AMD's next gen AND Nvidia's 4000 series hit the streets.

Post edited by Chumly on
    edited June 2022

Chumly said:

Oooops...
    Forgot to add N-RArts

Building a computer isn't that hard... upgrading, not so much either.  There are plenty of you toob videos on doing every aspect of it.  If you have ANY computer nerd friends, most of the time they are willing to help/show you how to do it.... all you gotta do is ask.

There are a couple of decent sites to find parts etc... pcpartspicker.com is a good one, you can see what others have built and get suggestions for things in your price range.
    I also check slickdeals out daily, its a site where users post good deals that they have found

https://slickdeals.net/computer-deals/

What is your system currently? 
    Windows?

If a Windows system, hit the windows key and then type in the search bar "about your pc" and see what the screen that pops up says.

If yours is 8 years old, its "hard" to upgrade it much without wasting money.  The Motherboard/CPU/RAM are really the heart of what is going on in a computer... Us Daz-o-philes also rely on Graphics Processors as well... but the 'core' of what you have really determines what your upgrade path is... 

AMD is set to release their next generation of Processors in the fall... which should have a trickle down effect for pricing on the older stuff and what will come in as "refurbished" for discount.
    My current plan is to start selling off some 'junk' via e-bay/craigslist to have my war-chest ready when the AMD's next gen AND Nvidia's 4000 series hit the streets.

It's Windows 10 (I've attached a screenshot of the "about your PC" screen). 

Before the pandemic, I was looking into the possibility of adding either an AMD Ryzen or Nvidia GPU to the PC (or replacing the AMD CPU that's already in there). The guy at the computer shop that I use said he would have to find a compatible motherboard if I wanted to go with a Ryzen, and that it was going to cost £300-£600 (both motherboard and the Ryzen GPU). I looked into the possibility of adding a Nvidia GPU. But nothing came of that either.

I am checking eBay for GPUs, but even the second-hand ones aren't that cheap anymore. 

Thank you for the advice, and links. I didn't think chipsets could be refurbished, so I've never thought of looking for them.

The only other problem is looking for a chip (AMD Ryzen) which is compatible with Daz Studio (I was aiming for Ryzen 5). 

desktop.png
    965 x 676 - 240K
    Post edited by N-RArts on

Hey
    The chipset/chips are not refurbished... its the computer itself that has been refurbished.

Either it was bought and returned, or it was a leased computer that is now off lease.  Since you are stating prices in pounds, I'll assume you are in the UK.  I haven't lived their in 15 years or so, so I am not familiar with the market there...

All the Ryzen cpu's are going to be compatible with Daz... that really isn't the issue.  I think what you mean is that, if you want to Render, in Daz, with Iray, you need a Nvidia GPU, as iRay is Nvida, not AMD.  

You are kind of stuck in sense... you need to check and see if you Motherboard has any/free  PCI Express x16 slots.  That is what the 'older' GTX and RTX cards need.  In which case, you might get a GTX 1060/1070 card on the cheap used (or if a kind forum member has one laying around and will free it up for you).

Its a curious time too, as new stuff is right around the corner (fall) and Crypto has been crashing, so it should be interesting how things play out.

Yes. I'm in the UK.

I found a Refurbished Ryzen chip (Quad Core) £55 on a certain auction site, yesterday.

I've been rendering in Iray on an AMD CPU (Radeon) for several years now. Although I would like to give Daz a boost with a GPU.

I've been checking the prices for those GPUs on a certain that auction site, some of them are much lower than I expected them to be (still a little out of my price zone, though). I think the next time that I'm in town, I'll see if the computer shop that I use has any for sale. Having said that, it's not a cheap shop, and I think his stock of GPUs are reserved for the custom built machines that he builds.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,747

I’m not geeky enough to know what I need. I have a 1080ti that no longer works well with DAZ and I can only use DS beta 4.14 and older assets or one HD character or it crashes. Can I add an extra lower level card for super cheap and have DAZ use both, and if so, would that help, or am I doomed to be stuck at DS beta 4.14?

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,381
    edited June 2022

Wonderland said:

I’m not geeky enough to know what I need. I have a 1080ti that no longer works well with DAZ and I can only use DS beta 4.14 and older assets or one HD character or it crashes. Can I add an extra lower level card for super cheap and have DAZ use both, and if so, would that help, or am I doomed to be stuck at DS beta 4.14?

Have you installed updated drivers for the 1080ti? What is the rest of your system?

I am using a GTX1080ti with aan i7 CPU and 32GB Ram and it seems to work reasonably well in DS 4.20

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938

my 980Ti still works with DAZ

it works better with 4.11 as I get a Gigabyte more VRAM but it still works with 4.20 too so a 1080Ti should work

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,284

Wonderland said:

If the 1080ti isn't meeting your needs, a lower level card would almost certainly do nothing at all. 

Gordig said:

Wonderland said:

If the 1080ti isn't meeting your needs, a lower level card would almost certainly do nothing at all. 

So you can’t use two cards at once? I thought an extra card, no mattter how low would be an improvement if you can use two. 

edited June 2022

Charlie Judge said:

Wonderland said:

Have you installed updated drivers for the 1080ti? What is the rest of your system?

I am using a GTX1080ti with aan i7 CPU and 32GB Ram and it seems to work reasonably well in DS 4.20

Yes I have the newest drivers.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz   4.20 GHz 16 GB RAM. I know the RAM is low but I constantly defragment it with Norton Utilities to have maximum available RAM.

Anything past the beta 4.14 crashes when I just have a portrait with hair on G8.1. 

Post edited by Wonderland on

Wonderland said:

Gordig said:

Wonderland said:

So you can’t use two cards at once? I thought an extra card, no mattter how low would be an improvement if you can use two. 

You can use as many cards as you want, but a render will only use the cards that are capable of rendering the scene on their own. Thus, if you add a card with, say, 6GB of VRAM, and the scene exceeds that, only the 1080ti will contribute to the render. The fact that you're experiencing crashes suggests that there's something going on beyond or besides the GPU, though.

Gordig said:

Wonderland said:

Gordig said:

Wonderland said:

You can use as many cards as you want, but a render will only use the cards that are capable of rendering the scene on their own. Thus, if you add a card with, say, 6GB of VRAM, and the scene exceeds that, only the 1080ti will contribute to the render. The fact that you're experiencing crashes suggests that there's something going on beyond or besides the GPU, though.

What could it be? DS 4.14 beta rarely crashes but DS 4.15 crashes almost all the time and is super slow. 

I might be misremembering, but I think that's the version where Nvidia starting forcing emulation of RTX features on pre-RTX cards. Beyond that, I don't know what specific problem you could be experiencing.

edited June 2022

IGordig said:

I might be misremembering, but I think that's the version where Nvidia starting forcing emulation of RTX features on pre-RTX cards. Beyond that, I don't know what specific problem you could be experiencing.

It’s probably the RTX issue. But VR works fine. Apparently it’s Daz that changed something in their program since older versions work better than new ones. 

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

McGyver said:

What idiot would spend $170 on a GTX 1050?

Oh, wait... that was me... 

Ah, I've done worse... I have a useless goat I traded for some magic beans, and now the jerk with the beans is rich... of course, he put all his money in NFTs, so I don't see that lasting... but I couldn't even trade the stupid goat for a video card... pfft... stores these days.

I just wanted to say, this thread and the offers contained within are a very commendable and generous thing to do.

Cheers.

If you still have the goat and like the idea of "paying it forward" advocated in this thread, I would love to get your goat.

Oops, that didn't come out quite right...

edited June 2022

Wonderland said:

IGordig said:

It’s probably the RTX issue. But VR works fine. Apparently it’s Daz that changed something in their program since older versions work better than new ones. 

Actually nVida changed the version of iRay that DS 4.20 uses. But as i said earlier my 1080ti still works reasonably well. For example this portrait with 2 characters, hair, and clothing rendered with no problems:

A Mother's Love

Link to Gallery Image

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743

Gordig said:

No problems here with a GTX 1070 and DS 4.20.0.2.

Taoz said:

Gordig said:

Did it work with DS 4.15? I couldn’t render anything without crashing in DS 4.15 so I never upgraded higher.

Also, I see there’s a DS 4.9 listed somewhere in promos or on the site from a while ago. Did it go backwards? 

Wonderland said:

Taoz said:

Gordig said:

Did it work with DS 4.15? I couldn’t render anything without crashing in DS 4.15 so I never upgraded higher.

Also, I see there’s a DS 4.9 listed somewhere in promos or on the site from a while ago. Did it go backwards? 

My 1080ti did.

Nisse and the crown from the recent fairy nymph bundle https://www.daz3d.com/fairy-nymph-bundle with Silveren Hair completely froze my computer as soon as I wanted to check in iRay preview even before I got a chance to put clothes on her! I don’t know how people are rendering full scenes with a 1080ti! My computer is completely frozen and I have to do a hard restart. I think I’m going to have to stick to older products. The new ones just can’t work with my 1080ti. 

You still don't seem to be entertaining the possibility that the 1080ti isn't the cause of your problems.

Gordig said:

You still don't seem to be entertaining the possibility that the 1080ti isn't the cause of your problems.

DAZ Studio and newer products are the cause of my problems. The 1080ti works fine for everything else! All my Adobe products & VR work fine. Even rendering G3 characters and most G8s aren’t so bad in beta 4.14.. It’s newer versions of DS, G8.1 characters and some newer hair products or scenes that cause most of the problems. 

Just wondering. I though newer products were incompatible with older versions of Daz Studio. I once tried to load an outfit into an older version of Daz, but got an error because it could only be used in the latest version (so I was forced into updating the program)... Or does that not happen anymore...?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938

N-RArts said:

Just wondering. I though newer products were incompatible with older versions of Daz Studio. I once tried to load an outfit into an older version of Daz, but got an error because it could only be used in the latest version (so I was forced into updating the program)... Or does that not happen anymore...?

depends on the product and if it uses features added later or not