New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,168
    edited May 2021

Hylas said:

If someone bought Dreamlight's new HDRI set, I'd love to hear some opinions, and how much disk space the entire product takes.

It has to be gigantic if those 210 maps are of decent quality, right?

Do you think it's worth it? Truly a lot of variety, or lots of similar ones? 210 is such a high number, I can't quite wrap my head around it :)

According to the ReadMe file list there are twelve .zip files - assuming it was split that way for size reasons like many other HDRI products I own, that probably means 10GB or more of .zip files and even more when installed. (I have not bought the new one, so I can't say for sure)

ETA: Just seen this mentioned in another thread, it seems I was over-estimating the size: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/6771381/#Comment_6771381

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,168
    edited May 2021

Novica said:

Unfortunately, I DO have that beard product Barbult mentioned, but hadn't used it. Edit- been longer than 30 days so can't return it. Got it October last year. Not putting in any tickets, just returning anything that is substandard. 

It was a daily freebie in the last PC+ anniversary sale, so at least you probably didn't spend money on it. (Not that being free is any excuse for a badly made product) - I have it but have apparently never used it because I don't remember spotting those problems.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,272

So it was a freebie. Good luck getting it corrected. If you want to get your hands dirty, I have an easy fix. The UV Mapping for the Short Hair and the Eyebrows should simply be the set of horizontal bars that the other pieces have. They are defined by a set of 16 coordinate pairs (repeated many, many times) that map out the corners of the narrow boxes (all are in a file called default.dsf in \data\Matari3D\Facial Hair and Hair for Genesis 8 Male\Short Hair [or Eyebrows]\UV Sets\Matari3D\Base). The Short Hair and Eyebrow UV maps have all zeros for the coordinate pairs so what gets mapped is whatever pixel is at [0, 0] on the bitmap, and it just happens to be pink for Color 16. All that is needed is to replace all those [0, 0]'s with repeated sets of the 16 pairs, which you can copy from any one of the other hair part's UV map (beard, sideburns, or mustache). Just make sure you have the same number of vertices (no need to count them, just check line number in the text editor).

If you have the hair loaded, its data will stay in memory even if you delete it from the scene, so purge memory after (there's a built-in script for that under Scripts -> Utilities). Reload the hair and/or eyebrows and you should now have the proper UV mapping. You can check in the Viewport (main or aux, with UV View mode). Not only does it cure the pink hair from Color 16, all the others look better, since the hairs are getting the full texture applied instead of just pixel [0, 0].

Here's what Color 16 should really look like when applied with the new UV mapping:

Facial Hair and Short Hair C16.jpg
    800 x 800 - 117K
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675

NorthOf45 said:

So it was a freebie. Good luck getting it corrected. If you want to get your hands dirty, I have an easy fix. The UV Mapping for the Short Hair and the Eyebrows should simply be the set of horizontal bars that the other pieces have. They are defined by a set of 16 coordinate pairs (repeated many, many times) that map out the corners of the narrow boxes (all are in a file called default.dsf in \data\Matari3D\Facial Hair and Hair for Genesis 8 Male\Short Hair [or Eyebrows]\UV Sets\Matari3D\Base). The Short Hair and Eyebrow UV maps have all zeros for the coordinate pairs so what gets mapped is whatever pixel is at [0, 0] on the bitmap, and it just happens to be pink for Color 16. All that is needed is to replace all those [0, 0]'s with repeated sets of the 16 pairs, which you can copy from any one of the other hair part's UV map (beard, sideburns, or mustache). Just make sure you have the same number of vertices (no need to count them, just check line number in the text editor).

If you have the hair loaded, its data will stay in memory even if you delete it from the scene, so purge memory after (there's a built-in script for that under Scripts -> Utilities). Reload the hair and/or eyebrows and you should now have the proper UV mapping. You can check in the Viewport (main or aux, with UV View mode). Not only does it cure the pink hair from Color 16, all the others look better, since the hairs are getting the full texture applied instead of just pixel [0, 0].

Would it be possible to just upload the fixed default.dsf file somewhere to share? It wouldn't contain any meshes or textures, so wouldn't it be safe from copyright issues? I have the product too, but the fix explanation went a bit over my head. Sorry. blush

I was checking out r/Daz3d (the Daz subreddit over at Reddit) when I found out about this really good HDRI from HDRI Haven. It's called Lebombo and of course, it's free. It just seems like it makes characters look really believable and photoreal. 

Here it is in action with Callan, Thorin hair, and Chill Pj Pants. 

Lebombo HDRI test.png
    1280 x 2071 - 3M
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,772

@certaintree38

Thank you for the link directly to the HDRI. It is lovely light and I think your render of Callan shows how good he and the light are. He is nice too. 

Mary

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214

NorthOf45 said:

Here's what Color 16 should really look like when applied with the new UV mapping:

Thanks! I followed your helpful instructions and fixed the hair. I'll do the eyebrows next.

Similarly, you can fix the Facial Hair and Hair for Genesis 8 Male.duf file yourself by replacing  "Billy-Goat" with 'Billy%20Goat".

Of course, we shouldn't have to do any of this ourselves to fix a broken product that never should have made it through testing. But, as you say, good luck getting it fixed! I didn't even waste my time writing a help request for this one.

memcneil70 said:

@certaintree38

Thank you for the link directly to the HDRI. It is lovely light and I think your render of Callan shows how good he and the light are. He is nice too. 

Mary

My pleasure. And yeah, Callan is a cutie. 

certaintree38 said:

NorthOf45 said:

Would it be possible to just upload the fixed default.dsf file somewhere to share? It wouldn't contain any meshes or textures, so wouldn't it be safe from copyright issues? I have the product too, but the fix explanation went a bit over my head. Sorry. blush

Maybe some pictures would help. So you'll first have to decompress the default.dsf (Batch Convert in Studio, locate the file or folder and apply). The one for the Hair is over 11 MB. I use notepad++, which can handle multimegabyte files without crashing. The first attachment shows what you will see at the beginning of the file. All zeros, no good. Note the line number of the last one in the list. Yes, there are a lot of them. Select them all and delete them.

The second attachment is what you will see with one of the other default.dsf files: a repeating sequence of 16 coordinate pairs (good). Copy that, or as many as you can (thousands would be good, tens of thousands would be better), and paste them into the file where you deleted the old zeros. Paste until you get to the same line number where the original ended (third attachment). You don't need to have full sets of 16 at the end, you can cut the list off at the required number of vertices. Don't forget to remove the comma after the last coordinate pair.

Original default_dsf.jpg
    501 x 437 - 88K
    Corrected default_dsf beginning.jpg
    501 x 438 - 127K
    Corrected default_dsf end.jpg
    501 x 419 - 137K

barbult said:

NorthOf45 said:

Thanks! I followed your helpful instructions and fixed the hair. I'll do the eyebrows next.

Similarly, you can fix the Facial Hair and Hair for Genesis 8 Male.duf file yourself by replacing  "Billy-Goat" with 'Billy%20Goat".

Of course, we shouldn't have to do any of this ourselves to fix a broken product that never should have made it through testing. But, as you say, good luck getting it fixed! I didn't even waste my time writing a help request for this one.

You're welcome. I love a challenge. Maybe I shouldn't mention the stray polygons from the beard that are on the feet and back (wha-?)...

NorthOf45 said:

certaintree38 said:

NorthOf45 said:

Maybe some pictures would help. So you'll first have to decompress the default.dsf (Batch Convert in Studio, locate the file or folder and apply). The one for the Hair is over 11 MB. I use notepad++, which can handle multimegabyte files without crashing. The first attachment shows what you will see at the beginning of the file. All zeros, no good. Note the line number of the last one in the list. Yes, there are a lot of them. Select them all and delete them.

The second attachment is what you will see with one of the other default.dsf files: a repeating sequence of 16 coordinate pairs (good). Copy that, or as many as you can (thousands would be good, tens of thousands would be better), and paste them into the file where you deleted the old zeros. Paste until you get to the same line number where the original ended (third attachment). You don't need to have full sets of 16 at the end, you can cut the list off at the required number of vertices. Don't forget to remove the comma after the last coordinate pair.

Okay. Let's start at the beginning. (Sorry, I'm a noob). What does it mean to batch convert in Studio? I tried checking the edit drop down menu, right-clicking on the file itself, and searching on google, but can't figure it out. 

certaintree38 said:

NorthOf45 said:

certaintree38 said:

NorthOf45 said:

Okay. Let's start at the beginning. (Sorry, I'm a noob). What does it mean to batch convert in Studio? I tried checking the edit drop down menu, right-clicking on the file itself, and searching on google, but can't figure it out. 

Batch Convert (a very misleading name) can convert .duf/.dsf files between compressed and uncompressed formats, or convert between older .dsb (binary) and .dsa (ascii) formats. There is a tab pane by the same name. Just open it, choose "Add Files...", navigate to the folder with the .dsf file and select it. The file should show up in the Files list. At the bottom, select "Uncompress Listed Compressed Assets" and apply. The file will now be plain text that you can edit. Whn done, you can re-compress it to save space, if you want.

NorthOf45 said:

certaintree38 said:

NorthOf45 said:

The eyebrows seem to be only a multiple of 8 instead of 16. 

barbult said:

NorthOf45 said:

certaintree38 said:

NorthOf45 said:

Doesn't have to be a full multiple of 16, as long as each vertex is mapped to something. Just trim the list at the number of vertices. It should at least be a multiple of 4 to enclose the rectangle.

NorthOf45 said:

barbult said:

NorthOf45 said:

certaintree38 said:

NorthOf45 said:

Doesn't have to be a full multiple of 16, as long as each vertex is mapped to something. Just trim the list at the number of vertices. It should at least be a multiple of 4 to enclose the rectangle.

I just dropped the last 8. 

NorthOf45 said:

certaintree38 said:

NorthOf45 said:

certaintree38 said:

NorthOf45 said:

Batch Convert (a very misleading name) can convert .duf/.dsf files between compressed and uncompressed formats, or convert between older .dsb (binary) and .dsa (ascii) formats. There is a tab pane by the same name. Just open it, choose "Add Files...", navigate to the folder with the .dsf file and select it. The file should show up in the Files list. At the bottom, select "Uncompress Listed Compressed Assets" and apply. The file will now be plain text that you can edit. Whn done, you can re-compress it to save space, if you want.

Thank you! It looks much better now.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,728

Novica said:

barbult said:

That Casual Flannel is menswear with a Peter Pan collar. Who thinks that looks good? And, yes, the clay render shows off other mesh problems.  

I actually laughed when I saw that collar. Someone's vision sure didn't line up with mine for a good looking shirt. That one just struck me as really funky looking.

They removed the clay render so you can't see the other mesh problems. 

xyer0 said:

Novica said:

barbult said:

That Casual Flannel is menswear with a Peter Pan collar. Who thinks that looks good? And, yes, the clay render shows off other mesh problems.  

I actually laughed when I saw that collar. Someone's vision sure didn't line up with mine for a good looking shirt. That one just struck me as really funky looking.

Wow, that is low. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,728

barbult said:

xyer0 said:

Novica said:

barbult said:

Wow, that is low. 

Actually, I've come to expect this. I kept trying to tell myself that it was just the cynic in me, or I was misinterpreting, or there's probably another explanation, etc. Alas, a preponderance of evidence leads me to the inevitable conclusion.

But if that collar wasn't sufficient to dissuade someone, then they deserve the hidden value.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited June 2021

That isn't good. Did they do that after we mentioned it on this thread? 

I found an interesting gal to add to the gene pool, if you want really sculpted, defined athleticism. Google KrashWerks Katerina. I wouldn't personally use her full blown morphs, but being able to dial her in will be a lot of fun. 

Post edited by Novica on

Oh my. I don't recall this ever happening before. Have you ever had a view from a car window strip off the character's clothes? I was rotating the camera around, and the car door is open, with a character standing outside the car and beside it. Through the driver's window, there in full glory, was my dressed character totally undressed through whatever was visible through the window. SO weird! 

Novica said:

Oh my. I don't recall this ever happening before. Have you ever had a view from a car window strip off the character's clothes? I was rotating the camera around, and the car door is open, with a character standing outside the car and beside it. Through the driver's window, there in full glory, was my dressed character totally undressed through whatever was visible through the window. SO weird! 

That's an OpenGL preview problem, I believe. It should render correctly. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,280

X-Ray window cool

Robert Freise said:

X-Ray window cool

My character begs to differ!  devil 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,280

Novica said:

Robert Freise said:

X-Ray window cool

My character begs to differ!  devil 

laugh 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,822

Novica said:

Like Barbult says, it's an issue with OpenGL and transmaps. For some reason, when you're seeing a transmapped texture through another transmapped texture -- usually a window of some sort -- the first texture on the other side of the transmapped window frequently goes invisible. I'll bet your character was bald, as well.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,870
    edited June 2021

xyer0 said:

Novica said:

barbult said:

Hey guys :) Pretty sure the image is probably just getting corrected although I could be wrong. I did look at the image earlier because I was curious about what the mesh issues were... I suspect what you were seeing was the surface add ons that was accidentally made visible when applying the clay shaders. The add ons will never render and is to keep rounded edges more stable during simulations and to give thickness to outfits. It is completely seperate from the outfit obj.

Post edited by Mada on
    edited June 2021

I finally got around to installing my HiveWire purchases from December and found that Moth Vol 3 required Moth. Missed that. And wouldn't you know, I had a lovely email from Ken's new store today about his interview and store opening and sale! Bought the rest of the moths and I found and fell in love with Patoos. What an adorable bird.

Here is the Andean Potoo.

Andean Potoo.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on

Here you go @memcneil70   What a funny bird!

Yeah, his description of the bird and how it hides in plain sight fascinated me. The various types are lovely. I just want to giggle at them. 

Mary