New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,281

Novica said:

Of course, when you AREN'T looking for a whistle, you find them. X-Fashion Uniform 03 has a whistle if you need one. 

Naturally

Isn't that how it always works 

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

Re: the survey, I asked for less crashing of DS, faster load and save times, more product testing before products go to market, to hire a proofreader for promos and someone to test all sales before they go live. For products I asked for more animals too, a new cat with tons of breeeds and kittens, more cute breeds for the dog, fluffy small dogs and puppies, rabbits, ducks, birds... Also fantasy creatures that are beautiful, not creepy or horror. And in general, more beauty, imagination and creativity and less blah.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

I keep kicking myself for not asking for more cats! 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,252

We don't really need more cats so much as we need a better cat.

edited May 2021

True. I should write Daz a letter. Maybe we can start an actual petition. 

Edit: I would still totally buy more textures and morphs for the housecat. 

Post edited by Sera on

AM's working on a housecat, which is really the best case scenario anyway.

Gordig said:

AM's working on a housecat, which is really the best case scenario anyway.

That would be cool. Any info on when it might come out? Do you happen to know where I can read about this more? 

I did a little bit of digging, but this was all the information I could find.

Sounds like it might be a while.  Decided to put in a feature request ticket asking for Cat 8, AM's cat, and more sundry cat stuff. We'll see how that goes over. Not expecting much of a response, if any.

Ha! There's a special cat selection today. I am not sure how that is supposed to relate to a military bundle. Maybe a lot of people mentioned cats in the survey. 

Yeah, I thought that was pretty odd myself.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

That M67 Baseball Grenade looks out of place in those military props. That was back in WWII  btw. The military thought since men were used to throwing baseballs, they would throw more accurately (which they did.)  That bulky grenade is exactly that, and I never saw one while I was serving. Anyone else?  

Also, when I click SHOP those aren't showing on the main gallery page . The props aren't showing on the promo page either (New Releases) for today. I've looked twice. Are you seeing them?

edited May 2021

Hey dog owners- (and cat owners) Chewy (dot com) has 25% off on orders over 50.00 and I just got all my Frontline flea/tick prevention, plus the Dreambones/Smartbones which are easily digested (I never use rawhide.)  I have to get the Large, Medium, AND small Frontline and just ONE of those would have gotten me the discount lol. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,772

@Novica, Not too loud! I already had to stop Bugsy from clicking on a text today when he walked on my iPad keyboard and opened a spam text message. (I was on the floor watching news as I did my PT exercises and my iPad and Xfinity app is my TV.) He has also been known to click on the keyboard on the bed, and open Chrome. Not sure what he is going to look up or what. It was the cat, Jake, who his human swears ordered something once by walking on his keyboard when it was on a store screen, and his pay data was stored. 

Personally, I think our pets are getting as smart as the two year olds out there and using the internet behind out backs.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,281
    edited May 2021

Novica said:

That M67 Baseball Grenade looks out of place in those military props. That was back in WWII  btw. The military thought since men were used to throwing baseballs, they would throw more accurately (which they did.)  That bulky grenade is exactly that, and I never saw one while I was serving. Anyone else?  

Also, when I click SHOP those aren't showing on the main gallery page . The props aren't showing on the promo page either (New Releases) for today. I've looked twice. Are you seeing them?

M67 Baseball Grenade 1968-present I threw quite a few of them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M67_grenade

Mk 2 Pinapple was WWII

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I had initially deleted the survey without reading.  Thanks to all of you, I got the chance to go back and fill it out.

I asked for more male content, more anime style characters, a comic book style rendering engine, toons, and I don't recall the rest.  I did say that the sales could be made easier to decipher, lol

Worlds_Edge said:

I had initially deleted the survey without reading.  Thanks to all of you, I got the chance to go back and fill it out.

I asked for more male content, more anime style characters, a comic book style rendering engine, toons, and I don't recall the rest.  I did say that the sales could be made easier to decipher, lol

Oooh, good point! Drats. 

Yep, we all mentioned cats and Poof! Cat sale section. Nice start, now add those NEW Persians, Ragdolls, Himalayans, Maine Coon.... LOL. 

• NathNath Posts: 2,728

Yeah, where is Cat 8!

I also said that the sales need to be clearer. I got a response about my "Give us cats" ticket, and they said that is was submitted as a feature request in the proper channels. I'm glad someone asked for a comic style rendering engine. I could use three more of those. I like options.
    edited May 2021

Going to point out Oodles of Face Morphs as one of the G8 featured items you can get for an additional 35% off with a new release purchase (ANY new release) Things are going 82% off btw if they start at 50%.

Anyway, these are done in Z Brush and are not just morphs done using existing morphs we could all do ourselves. Nice variety so thought I'd point it out.  I got the B.E.T.T.Y Spanish Revival Sconces 02 and it whacked off more than it cost, $4.99  With shaders you could really change those up too. (Modern- chrome, patina, etc.) 

Also, take note in Genesis 3, Chloe by Angelwings. Wonderful child

I'm headed out the door to go see my son's new car. Before all the traffic REALLY gets going on Interstate 10. :)   Back later today, have fun shopping and feel free to post what you're buying so others can perhaps consider something they overlooked. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2021

Okay, one more. Aave's Couture Kit gives you a wide variety of dresses in varying lengths. In the featured section. Goes to $6.35

Post edited by Novica on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    edited May 2021

Messing about with Genesis 3 Female skin settings smiley

2021-05-29 08:07:10.501 Total Rendering Time: 56.19 seconds

Old skin converted with Iray Uber Shader on left. New Iray skin on right.

Click on image for full size.

2021-05-29 11:39:41.982 Total Rendering Time: 10 minutes 26.29 seconds

New Skin 1 on left, new Skin 2 on right.

2021-05-29 18:54:39.027 Total Rendering Time: 2 minutes 21.30 seconds

New skin on the left. New New skin on the right.

genesis3-female-new-skin-copyright-001.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 652K
    genesis3-female-new-skin-copyright-002.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 575K
    genesis3-female-new-skin-copyright-003.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 858K
    Post edited by Fishtales on

Unfortunately, Saya HD has a few issues. Her gum line is awful and she was modeled with her mouth open, so most expressions look bad on her (at least to me). Going to have to return her. 

saya gum line.PNG
    3830 x 1772 - 6M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214

Here's another product that you shouldn't waste money on: Facial Hair and Short Hair for Genesis 8 Male(s)

When you load "Facial Hair and Hair for Genesis 8 Male.duf". it gives two missing file errors. The materials don't work right either. If you apply the same material to all of the hair items, they don't always get the same color. I think there are serious UV mapping issues on this product. Color 16 is the worst! It gives you reddish beard  and purple eyebrows and hair. This is junk.

Color 11 gray beard black hair.jpg
    1562 x 1444 - 292K
    color 14 brown beard black hair.jpg
    1567 x 1439 - 299K
    Color 16 purple hair.jpg
    1564 x 1443 - 354K
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,799

If someone bought Dreamlight's new HDRI set, I'd love to hear some opinions, and how much disk space the entire product takes.

It has to be gigantic if those 210 maps are of decent quality, right?

Do you think it's worth it? Truly a lot of variety, or lots of similar ones? 210 is such a high number, I can't quite wrap my head around it :)

Well, just going on the what's included, I noticed a few things. It's only 7 different style cloud covers with 30 different time settings per cloud style, in 30 minute increments. So one at 7 am, 7:30 am, 8 am, 8:30 am and so on. If you were animating, I could see this being pretty useful. But I have to ask myself if I need an HDRI for 7 am and 8 am and 9 am as well. Personally, I could probably just do with morning, noon, and evening. One other thing is that 7 times 30 is 210, which should be the total number of HDRIs given the name of the product. But what's included says it comes with 195. Not sure what's up with that.
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,272

barbult said:

Here's another product that you shouldn't waste money on: Facial Hair and Short Hair for Genesis 8 Male(s)

When you load "Facial Hair and Hair for Genesis 8 Male.duf". it gives two missing file errors. The materials don't work right either. If you apply the same material to all of the hair items, they don't always get the same color. I think there are serious UV mapping issues on this product. Color 16 is the worst! It gives you reddish beard  and purple eyebrows and hair. This is junk.

He-he... never noticed, but the separate beard loads okay. Still, it's an obvious error that should have been caught.

As for the hair color, I mostly get the same applied to all parts, but there are a few that do not have a uniform bitmap, notably Color 10 (thumbnail looks brown, but comes out as a "salt and pepper" mix, wrong base bitmap applied? top half black, bottom half white) and, of course, Color 16. That one has a candy-stripe pattern running through the main bitmap. Since the hair is so short, only a portion of the texture is actually used (UV mapping is just one big square). By varying the tiling, even a little bit, you can make the hair on the head and the eyebrows cycle through red, orange, white, and pink. The beard, mustache and sideburns have a different UV (small strips), so you get a travelling wave up and down when using the vertical offset. Do all the hair parts at the same time, and you get quite the trip. Psychedelic, man... (ooh, flashback)

edited May 2021

Hylas said:

If someone bought Dreamlight's new HDRI set, I'd love to hear some opinions, and how much disk space the entire product takes.

It has to be gigantic if those 210 maps are of decent quality, right?

Do you think it's worth it? Truly a lot of variety, or lots of similar ones? 210 is such a high number, I can't quite wrap my head around it :)

I don't have that one so can't assist, sorry. Someone else may be able to. Unfortunately, I DO have that beard product Barbult mentioned, but hadn't used it. Edit- been longer than 30 days so can't return it. Got it October last year. Not putting in any tickets, just returning anything that is substandard. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,772

I have the product, and to be honest, I have gotten so use to hair color not appearing as the thumbnail represents I just move on and click until I get close or shift to my hair shaders. Heck, I am using ColorWerks for so many of the newer hairs its crazy and my lifesaver. Again this boils down to our main complaint on the forums for the past few years, poor quality control prior to release. And now I am avoiding certain PAs who have rooutine issues on their products that are not metadata, which is solely Daz's responsibility.