New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• Novica said:

It's been awhile since 8.1 was released- IIRC Genesis 8.1 stuff does not go backward compatible with Genesis 8?  The Chelsea Boots, for example, say it's 8.1 in the title, but in the compatible section list both 8.0 and 8.1.   Is that a mistake? I'm not buying them (wishlisted) but am curious. And will the 8.0 go forward compatible with 8.1?

It is possible to use  8.1 items with 8 - they are the same figure as far as fitting is concerned - you just need to load the item, cancel any AutoFit dialogue, and with it selected go to Edit>Figure>Scene Identification. Click the ... by Preferred Base and select Genesis 8 Male/Female instead of 8.1, then the item will fit without complaint.

But yes, the conpatibility may well be wrong on the product page - I'll flag it up.

• Do you need to own Victoria 8.1 to use any other Gen 8.1 Female product (e.g. Bonnie 8.1) or are any prerequisites to use 8.1 already in Daz3d or Bonnie? I have only been using Genesis, Genesis 2, 3 and 8 as they are so far.

• mayfield_deltic said:

Do you need to own Victoria 8.1 to use any other Gen 8.1 Female product (e.g. Bonnie 8.1) or are any prerequisites to use 8.1 already in Daz3d or Bonnie? I have only been using Genesis, Genesis 2, 3 and 8 as they are so far.

No, Gensis 8.1 Female is the base for the other characters, none of which depends on any of the others.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,276
    edited September 2021
    What about Blakely for Victoria 8.1?
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • Genesis 8.1 has facial expressions to Genesis 8, and different surfaces for head and body. So if you're (thinking of) buying a product that might interact with either of those things it might not be backwards compatible.

Regular clothes, shoes and hair should be fine

• AgitatedRiot said:

What about Blakely for Victoria 8.1?

If a character is for a specific Daz named character then using it wothout that character will not yield the intended shape. With Genesis 8 that is likely to be the only issue - with older generations it is possible that the textures use the UV set from the named character and so won't apply correctly to the plain base.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

In case you got that free 3 month PC+ subscription, be sure and check Paypal to see if it set up a recurring charge for renewal. It didn't for me, but as we know, things aren't always the same across the board. Someone told me they had a not-so-pleasant experience trying to sort out a membership issue in the past, so to be on the safe side, check your payment method to be sure a subscription hasn't been added. Again, it did NOT for me.

In Paypal, you'll see if Daz is active or inactive. I don't have it as active, but I assume if you do, when you click it you'd see what it is for. 

How to cancel subscriptions through Paypal

1. Go to paypal.com and log in to your account.
    2. Click the Gear icon in the upper right of the screen to go to the Settings menu.
    3. In the top menu bar, choose Payments.
    4. Select Manage Automatic Payments.

Are they serious with this orange banner?  I get a set of free POSES if I spend $50?   Take a hike! 

Nicholas just became a hurricane, hasn't reached the coast of Texas yet but almost there. They also just said it is going to slow down even more and impact poor Louisiana with more rain than predicted. It is going to be over water at least another hour. :(   Stay safe Texas and Louisiana! 

The storm coming off the coast of Africa may curve toward the East coast according to the Euro. I think the GFS is trending Caribbean. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,263

https://www.daz3d.com/deepsea-baby-hd-for-genesis-81-male

Jesus, and I thought Tobyn was an eldritch horror.

• Gordig said:

Good for things like the movie H3ll Baby 

I haven't surfed the forums to see if anyone has posted this, but you need to update the security on your phones ASAP. I just got told and sure enough, went into Settings-General- Software and the update is there. (Apple phone)

Gordig said:

I like him a lot more than Tobyn actually. :)  I just think it's hard doing babies/toddlers. No matter who does it the body proportions seem off, even with toddlers having a bigger head. Just seems weird to me. 

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

Novica said:

Gordig said:

I like him a lot more than Tobyn actually. :)  I just think it's hard doing babies/toddlers. No matter who does it the body proportions seem off, even with toddlers having a bigger head. Just seems weird to me. 

I like the body shape.  The face, though, I think it is the eyes that give older than baby look.

So while we're taking a peek at the new releases, the Hill Top Cabin has several head scratching aspects. 

The ladder going to the loft is attached to the wall, and you have to step sideways to get on the loft floor. I can see that as being as practical as having the ladder facing the loft floor and you having to step off sideways from there too. A unique aspect. BUT what I don't like is the gap between the ladder and the loft floor.  (promo 2nd row, 2nd render)  Get that sucker right next to the floor! If it can be slid over, I would suggest it. 

I like the interior a LOT more than the exterior. I don't like decks without protective fencing/rails. The second promo (first row) shows what appears to be a small section of fence? (Or a wine bottle holder lol? Is that a fence?)   The stairs don't have a handrail either. So the outside deck just seems stark and not finished, when you look at how nice the building is with carefully placed windows. That end with the stairs would have been much nicer if it wrapped around, seems to end abruptly. (first row, first promo.)  

I have wishlisted it due to the interior and the concept, but would attach a different deck with kitbashing. What do you think of it?

gitika1 said:

I like the body shape.  The face, though, I think it is the eyes that give older than baby look.

I think you're right. 

• Novica said:

So while we're taking a peek at the new releases, the Hill Top Cabin has several head scratching aspects. 

The ladder going to the loft is attached to the wall, and you have to step sideways to get on the loft floor. I can see that as being as practical as having the ladder facing the loft floor and you having to step off sideways from there too. A unique aspect. BUT what I don't like is the gap between the ladder and the loft floor.  (promo 2nd row, 2nd render)  Get that sucker right next to the floor! If it can be slid over, I would suggest it. 

I like the interior a LOT more than the exterior. I don't like decks without protective fencing/rails. The second promo (first row) shows what appears to be a small section of fence? (Or a wine bottle holder lol? Is that a fence?)   The stairs don't have a handrail either. So the outside deck just seems stark and not finished, when you look at how nice the building is with carefully placed windows. That end with the stairs would have been much nicer if it wrapped around, seems to end abruptly. (first row, first promo.)  

I have wishlisted it due to the interior and the concept, but would attach a different deck with kitbashing. What do you think of it?

The ladder appears to be a separate prop shown in the last promo,  however, the bars don't, or at least they aren't shown in the last promo as being separate

This reminds me of a large sloped flat top storage building that's been converted to a cabin

edited September 2021

Looking at the props, that railing section is a bench. It has "slots" which are openings, giving the impression of small shelf openings in the render promo.

Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

That baby is OK, like a 0 - 6 months, judging from the promos. I think, as usual, 3D fattiness always winds up looking hard, plastic, sharply delineated, and gravity defying; quite the opposite of the smooth softness of real fattiness.

Tobyn & Karyn are more like 1 - 2 years.

The best infant though is the no longer for sale Baby for Genesis.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

Robert Freise said:

Novica said:

The ladder appears to be a separate prop shown in the last promo,  however, the bars don't, or at least they aren't shown in the last promo as being separate

This reminds me of a large sloped flat top storage building that's been converted to a cabin

The ladder doesn't bother me nearly as much as the lack of a bathroom. Not even an outhouse is provided.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,282
    edited September 2021

Petercat said:

Robert Freise said:

Novica said:

The ladder doesn't bother me nearly as much as the lack of a bathroom. Not even an outhouse is provided.

https://www.daz3d.com/wild-west-outhouse devil

Post edited by Robert Freise on

Baby for Genesis

Ooooh, I have that one. Yeah, I like it!

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

gitika1 said:

Novica said:

Gordig said:

It is more than that. If you look real close it looks like the eyes are not set in place. This leaves visible gaps between the eyelid and the eyeball itself, which in turn cast shadows that make it look creepy. My guess is the eyeballs are so small proportionally that it made it impossible to fit them perfectly. My solution would be to alter the shape of the eyelids to fit more snug, or just increase the eyeball size. Even if that isn't super realistic, I think it would help lower the creep factor. And maybe use a whiter sclera for the texture. Babies don't really have bloodshot eyes and should probably have specialized eye textures. I think the other baby characters ran into similar issues.

Aside from the eyes, this baby is very well made. I think Deepsea's baby is much more realistic than the other Genesis 8 baby, which creeped me out big time.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952
    edited September 2021

Taoz said:

A rather old baby:

https://www.daz3d.com/ella-for-the-kids-4

She's more of a young child not a "baby" .......this is Sixus's Genesis 8 baby ,with some other morphs added ....

I don't think it's too bad ...

babyG8.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by carrie58 on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    edited September 2021

carrie58 said:

Taoz said:

A rather old baby:

She's more of a young child not a "baby" .......

Apparently DAZ thinks otherwise (look at the product name smiley )...

Here's Lily for Millbaby , despite she's "old" she's not that bad either, with Iray shaders:

mill_lily.png
    801 x 930 - 765K
    baby_ella.png
    677 x 259 - 177K
    Post edited by Taoz on

@carrie58  The Sixus Baby with those morphs looks quite nice. Those curled toes really remind me of my youngest son, who was a perpetual toe curler LOL. 

I'm really liking the look of Ergou characters in the sale today. Looking at the eyebrows, I think they would be fantastic for Growing Up and doing kids. Check out the gallery pictures on them for some unique looks. Check out Beulah's eyebrows in this gallery pic.  Very natural looking.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952

Taoz said:

carrie58 said:

Taoz said:

A rather old baby:

She's more of a young child not a "baby" .......

Apparently DAZ thinks otherwise (look at the product name smiley )...

Here's Lily for Millbaby , despite she's "old" she's not that bad either, with Iray shaders:

Lily for MilBaby is very cute and babyish ,but Ella is closer to 5 or 6 ,so not Baby dispite what DAZ claims ...... sorry gave birth to 3 can still tell the difference .