New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775
    edited April 2021

Thanks for taking the time to do those Faerwyn renders, Novica.

Is there something odd about the way her eyes reflect light? Or rather, the way that they don't? None of your pictures have a catch light in her eye, none of her promos do either - they all have that slightly dead eyed look. Makes me wonder if the surface isn't as glossy as it should be.

And on the eyelash thing, I realise you ladies pay a lot more close attention to eyelashes than guys do, but looking at (what I can see of) my own lashes, and doing a Google image search, it seems that real lashes don't extend right to the corners of the eye. So maybe we need to cut the PAs some slack on that one?

Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2021

Here's the post to fix the Zilpha problem, and it works. Very easy to do. I closed my studio then uploaded Faerwyn again, went into the Shaping pane, and no Zilpha!  I used Note Pad to fix it. Note, if you don't use Note Pad a lot, you may be looking for a Save button. You won't see one. X out and a popup will ask you to Save. :) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

chris-2599934 said:

Thanks for taking the time to do those Faerwyn renders, Novica.

Is there something odd about the way her eyes reflect light? Or rather, the way that they don't? None of your pictures have a catch light in her eye, none of her promos do either - they all have that slightly dead eyed look. Makes me wonder if the surface isn't as glossy as it should be.

And on the eyelash thing, I realise you ladies pay a lot more close attention to eyelashes than guys do, but looking at (what I can see of) my own lashes, and doing a Google image search, it seems that real lashes don't extend right to the corners of the eye. So maybe we need to cut the PAs some slack on that one?

You're nicer than I am LOL. No slack here because I had looked in the mirror before posting, and at 64 years old, my eyelashes are thinning (unhappy face LOL) but even mine aren't non-existant at both ends. I do see some folks with very small eyelashes or sparse, but even then, that may be to the inside corner of the eye, but I don't see any that far over, PLUS at the outer corner of the eye.  So to me, it was how far over it came.

The other thing, is this was on a female and those eyelashes look mascara-ed, so I wouldn't think a woman who knows how to do makeup would leave that naked area., there would be light eyeliner. Those eyelashes on the character are DARK.  But that's only opinion.  But yes, people will just have to decide for themselves if it's acceptable. I'll postwork and put eyeliner there.

I looked up eyelashes in Google:   Here's the main shutterstock page

This angle shows it best. 

Here's another one.    This one with eyes closed

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

chris-2599934 said:

Help me out here. What would I look for in Surfaces? I checked the EyeMoisture and it said:
    Glossy Layered Weight 1.00  (everything above that was zero, not going to type all those out)
    Glossy Reflectivity 0.42
    Glossy Roughness 0.11
    Refraction Index 1.38 and Weight 1.00
    The Glossy Anistrophy was 0 and so was Backscattering Weight

I'll try another lightset and see what it does. Will try Dumor's. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

@chris2599934    I think you're right, I used Dumor's outdoor set and have the Y Orientation to 270 so she's getting hit with front light, and have the light cranked up so there's even burnout on her forehead, and the eyes seem rather dull.  I even tilted her head upward and turned her into the light source.Rendering a closeup now.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

Here's the eyes. And even in this light, that green rim outside the eye area is present. (See the other renders of the before and after eye)

You can see how much light I put on Faerwyn's face with the excess burnt out, and the eyes don't seem too bright. with moisture.  What do you think?

faerwyn eyes dull.png
    600 x 900 - 658K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Serene Night said:

The morphing thing is a big problem. I recently found a morph that had been loading for years but was not visibly dialing in. I discovered it when nI bought the Ultimate Zero product. It told me when DAZ studio would not, that I had a full figure dialing in every time with one character.

Wow, I wasn't going to buy that maybe I will now.

@serenenight   The only Ultimate Zero I am seeing is for poses, not for morphs. Which one are you talking about please?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Novica said:

Here's the eyes. And even in this light, that green rim outside the eye area is present. (See the other renders of the before and after eye)

You can see how much light I put on Faerwyn's face with the excess burnt out, and the eyes don't seem too bright. with moisture.  What do you think?

If there is a cornea bulge slider set it to 0.9.

Not seeing anything like Cornea Bulge in either Surfaces or Parameters under Actor (did Head>Eyes and just Eyes) 

Anyway, got a jammed packed day today, getting my second Covid shot in an hour and a half from now so want to do some yard work before I am out of commission with a sore arm all weekend :)  So have a great day! :) 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited April 2021

Novica said:

Not seeing anything like Cornea Bulge in either Surfaces or Parameters under Actor (did Head>Eyes and just Eyes) 

Anyway, got a jammed packed day today, getting my second Covid shot in an hour and a half from now so want to do some yard work before I am out of commission with a sore arm all weekend :)  So have a great day! :) 

Is it under Shaping? The setting is 90 for percentage and not 0.9 :)

Post edited by Fishtales on

Oh, this is so cool. Remember our friends, the Great White Sharks we track? Here's from the local paper. We have one in our "backyard" just 50 miles out! 

OCEARCH currently lists nine great white sharks pinging in the Gulf of Mexico. 

The sharks range in size from the largest named Unama'ki, weighing in at 2,076 pounds, to smaller ones like Cabot, weighing 533 pounds.

Cabot is the closest great white to the Northwest Florida coast, located about 50 miles southwest of Pensacola Beach.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

Beautiful sharks!!! ......we get a large number of those on the coasts of Australia :)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

vwrangler said

Which morph was that?

FW quinton. For some bizarro reason his body is dialed in 100 percent in Boyd but not visibly. I only discovered it when I ran ultimate zero and it was listed. Weirdly I have grown to like it, since after I zeroed it out, I ended up putting it back in. I would've noticed I think if his head was dialed in..

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,269

Novica said:

Oh, this is so cool. Remember our friends, the Great White Sharks we track? Here's from the local paper. We have one in our "backyard" just 50 miles out! 

OCEARCH currently lists nine great white sharks pinging in the Gulf of Mexico. 

The sharks range in size from the largest named Unama'ki, weighing in at 2,076 pounds, to smaller ones like Cabot, weighing 533 pounds.

Cabot is the closest great white to the Northwest Florida coast, located about 50 miles southwest of Pensacola Beach.

Last time I saw a Great White I spent 72 hrs in a decompression chamber it wanted to have me for a snack and chased me all the way to the surface my friends on the boat said I cleared the transom without using the ladder and that all they could see below me was teeth

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

Serene Night said:

vwrangler said

Which morph was that?

FW quinton. For some bizarro reason his body is dialed in 100 percent in Boyd but not visibly. I only discovered it when I ran ultimate zero and it was listed. Weirdly I have grown to like it, since after I zeroed it out, I ended up putting it back in. I would've noticed I think if his head was dialed in..

Oh, OK. I don't know if Quinton was doing the same thing in mine or not; he was one of the ones that got removed during The Purge to try to make G8M load faster. I'd only ever used him once, and that was purely a "these are the new guys in the M8 pro bundle" render.

@serenenight  Did you see my earlier question? :)   The only ultimate zero I can find deals with poses, not morphs. (I had linked it.) Is the product called Ultimate Zero?

vwrangler said:

Oh, OK. I don't know if Quinton was doing the same thing in mine or not; he was one of the ones that got removed during The Purge to try to make G8M load faster. I'd only ever used him once, and that was purely a "these are the new guys in the M8 pro bundle" render.

You aren't missing anything. It's another generic character. How his shape possessed Boyd I have no idea. But clearly it has been happening for a while. It isn't a widespread issue though, since Owen doesn't have him. 

edited April 2021

Novica said:

@serenenight  Did you see my earlier question? :)   The only ultimate zero I can find deals with poses, not morphs. (I had linked it.) Is the product called Ultimate Zero?

Sorry Novica, I did not see your question. The answer is... I  don't know...  I don't understand.  sad  When I pull up Boyd, it has no Quinton dialed in as a morph, however, when I load Ultimate Zero, his bod is dialed in as affecting his shape.  "Quinton Body"  Maybe the morphs were saved wrong?

If I uninstall Quinton, DAZ Studio wants him installed before I load Boyd.

Hmm. Well, I think I'm going to take the plunge and remove Quinton. Who knows what is happening behind the scenes. Unfortunately, all my old saves will now ask for him.  

quinton.JPG
    823 x 862 - 81K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited April 2021

Novica said:

@Novica that is the Ultimate Zero she is using.   It will give a list of the bones/properties being used in a loaded figure then you can unselect the ones that you dont want zero'd.  (something along those lines anyway)  I wonder though if it will still show them if they do not affect properties?  Hmm I do not know....

@serenenight do you have your hidden morphs showing that maybe why it doesn't show.

Post edited by Daventaki on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I am not a fan of the sharks around the Florida panhandle as they chase us from the water frequently.

@serenenight do you have your hidden morphs showing that maybe why it doesn't show.

Show hidden morphs are always on, but Quinton's morph is not listed in currently used. If you search for Quinton it shows up in white at zero. If you use Ultimate Zero to remove the morph, Boyd's height is affected, and he is... Slightly less built. 

It is a mystery, but I ended up putting Quinton back in.  All my files are borked without him, and I don't want to impact my loading time.

It's weird how it got in the mix. A lot of things in the studio under the hood are messier than we really think. When I save pose files, it isn't uncommon for a pro character morph to be incorrectly saved as a pose. 

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    Show hidden morphs are always on, but Quinton's morph is not listed in currently used. If you search for Quinton it shows up in white at zero. If you use Ultimate Zero to remove the morph, Boyd's height is affected, and he is... Slightly less built. 

It is a mystery, but I ended up putting Quinton back in.  All my files are borked without him, and I don't want to impact my loading time.

It's weird how it got in the mix. A lot of things in the studio under the hood are messier than we really think. When I save pose files, it isn't uncommon for a pro character morph to be incorrectly saved as a pose.

Figured that was probably the case but never hurts to ask.  That is wierd but so would a character showing up in pose files, thats kinda scary that you don't really know whats going on behind the scenes....

edited April 2021

Well, I'm back. That second Covid shot is a witch. Chills, fever, nausea, dizzy, and major headache. So my body is definitely a fighter! It's 3:45pm and I am just now getting out of bed. (Got the shot 1pm yesterday. Felt fine all last night.)   However, I'm a great weathergal because of barometric pressure headaches so not sure how much is the shot and how much is this nonstop rain we've got.

I think we're going on 5 inches now. I feel so bad for the folks trying to rescue the crew in that overturned boat in Louisiana. I shudder to think of being underwater in an air pocket in the hull in the dark for days on end. 

I wanted to feel better so my remedy?  I ordered Pizza Hut! cheeky It's on it's way. I'd share if you were here. 

I noticed in that Zilpha thread, some folks mentioned other characters getting dialed in too. That's just great. I actually liked how Faerwyn looked with her though! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

@Novica, glad you survived! Now, just think how awful the full blown Covid-10 infection would be! I remember seeing (I think it was) Brooke Baldwin on CNN who had it bad at home. Hot, sweaty, wrung-out and hurting for weeks. She showed the pictures to encourage folks to mask, distance and be safe. At that time there was no vaccine yet. My two days of extreme migraine and joint aches are worth the shots. 

You have rain, we had 5 - 9 inches of snow yesterday in Denver, a light dusting this morning, more coming this week. And this morning, Bugsy and I found one of the pine trees on the property had fallen over at the ground, but not broken, just bent like it was silly putty. Missed the road and almost the sidewalk. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,269

Due for my second dose in about 3 weeks.

Never would have known I had the first one if it wasn't for the band aid which  my cat Ms. Nudge thought she needed to pull off of me

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740

I have no idea why Daz STILL hasn’t fixed Zilpha! I’ve gotten in the habit of just going to currently used EVERY time I load a character. I guess I should try the notepad trick, but if it’s that easy, why hasn’t Daz fixed it??? 

Getting my second vaccine Monday. Now I’m scared lol.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

Wonderland said:

I have no idea why Daz STILL hasn’t fixed Zilpha! I’ve gotten in the habit of just going to currently used EVERY time I load a character. I guess I should try the notepad trick, but if it’s that easy, why hasn’t Daz fixed it??? 

They did, but apparently the old zip went live again for some reason. 

Wonderland said:

Getting my second vaccine Monday. Now I’m scared lol.

Well, pizza works :)  What I told my son who is getting his second shot is to take a Tylenol before going to bed, even if you don't have symptoms. Had I done that, I wouldn't have had the fever or the headache at all, or greatly reduced.  I would also recommend having a glass of water and some crackers by the bed in case you get nauseated and don't want to get up. And so far as being tired, who doesn't like sleeping in?  I'm so glad my shot was on a Friday, I can't imagine working and getting this in the middle of the week. I wouldn't be going to work, that's for sure. I'm headed back to bed, but currently no headace, no nausea.  So like Mary said, it's definitely better than the alternative of getting the virus. But I can understand the dread of not looking forward to it. 

But seriously, my arm isn't sore AT ALL. The first time, it was stiff a bit (again, I kept lifting weights every 4 hours, just doing a couple lifts straight up and down to keep it limber. Worked like a charm.)  I actually slept on the shot arm last night! That was the biggest surprise.

You know they're saying we'll probably have to get a booster every year. I think if it's a year apart though, the response to the shot won't be this bad, and we'll already have it in our system. 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

I've had both shots of the Pfizer, and the reaction to the first, for me, was worse than the second. My whole arm felt bruised, and I was completely exhausted for about a day. On the second shot, my arm was less sore, and I was less tired, and that was it. I almost wonder if the reaction to the first shot was my body saying, "Well, this is as good as it gets."

From what I've read, women have much stronger reactions than most men, due to having a stronger immune system generally.

I have wondered about people being surprised that we'll need to get annual boosters (I've also seen every six months, for at least the next year or two.) For all that this isn't the flu, it's still a rapidly mutating virus, so the vaccine will need to change to do any good. Though there's apparently a vaccine under development at Walter Reed which, if it's successful, may provide protection against all coronaviruses -- so even some that cause the common cold, as well as more severe ones like SARS and MERS; it uses a different approach that may be able to respond to mutations a bit better than the current vaccines.