New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

Getting to SELECT which 5 characters you want from a list & getting an extra discount tier pass for the duration (instead of a "forum flair" icon that seems to me and others writing here to actually have NEGATIVE value) are 2 ideas that spring to my mind as ways to make the new Season Pass marketing gimmick a bit more appealing to myself at least.  I seldom buy female characters and knowing Daz, the 5 "Free chars" will be female chars at least 3:2, if not 4:1.  The first one they've already named and is female, so....  for me, they lost me immediately between the price and the details.
       ~Gen

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

No Season Pass for me either. I buy very few characters now, because each additional character makes Daz Studio slower and I have plenty already. I certainly will not pay up front for unknown models, sight unseen. And I don't want a silly "flare" by my forum name, either. It all seems like craziness to me. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I think the models will be really good but as with current DAZ manual and tutorials I think those will be lacking. It's a massive undertaking to do such manuals and tutorials right and what you you get as a reward? Nothing compared to the esteemed modelers. DAZ 3D hasn't bothered seriously with that in, what, a decade?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I wonder if the store will allow people to hide the badge that they are seasonal pass members. The badge is free advertising for the store. 

• SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684

The season pass seems like a Loot box to me- if you enjoy gambling- great. But as noted above, it is likely that most of the models will be female, ( I don't need any more of those unless they are extraordinary) 

How many of the new models will be 8.1? I see complaints that people can't upgrade to use 8.1 because cards are so expensive (and why Daz is jumping into the NFT scheme- and adding to the scarcity of the cards we need to run it is quite confusing) How many of the new models will be that PA they love to feature in bundles who uses the same skin over and over again?

I think all the bundles will be 8.1- For me, I don't use it. Even my 8 gig card is not suffciient to render 2 8.1 figures in a scene without dropping to cpu. So I have remained at 4.11 

Also the contests are for everyone. Season Pass winners just get early access. 

It seems less of a good deal the more you bore down into the offerings. 

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,151

barbult said:

No Season Pass for me either. I buy very few characters now, because each additional character makes Daz Studio slower and I have plenty already. I certainly will not pay up front for unknown models, sight unseen. And I don't want a silly "flare" by my forum name, either. It all seems like craziness to me. 

100% agreed. That is exactly my position too.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

MelanieL said:

barbult said:

100% agreed. That is exactly my position too.

yes Same here.

On the flipside, 3dUniverse has a new turtle coming, and AM has a thread that indicates more animals coming this year.  I'll just save my funds and wait for Howie's next release and the animals. smiley

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750
    edited April 2021

Well, I tried to render Futura Techwear for G8M. Nightmare. It does simulate very smoothly with a cross-armed pose and muscles, but a hair with writing on the forehead only visible in the render, a skin choice that was weird and too dark on the body, too light on the face, and I had put a Sci-Fi city in the background of a window and then forgot to close things not visible! I stopped the render halfway through. Saved it as lesson. I also tried out Variations for G8.1M with the first morph. Presets and sliders available. The face was interesting. 

But I did get some Oatmeal and Rum-Raisin Cookies baked today. So not a complete loss. 

Oh, for the record, I actually hate 'Hammer' pants, or what I know them as, 'Skater' pants, as my son wore them during his high school years. The crotch gives enough room to crouch down on the skateboard and manuever. 

Post edited by memcneil70 on
    edited April 2021

Oh, I need that 3DU turtle. I've actually now licenses for 90% of his toon stuff but they are still gaps in games, like turtles. I hope it has a morph to a sea turtle and tortoise/terrapin as well.

I've read the NFTs are already going bust according to the latest metrics. Is that a surprise? Not in the least, but I suppose when you see someone making 69 millions from NFT junk art collection that was more crude Hustler style political cartoons than art; well why not gamble if you don't mind loosing a few hundred dollars in the process.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

BTW in case you didn't catch it, Jack said in Commons thread if you don't want that Season Pass badge you submit a ticket and they'll remove it. Everyone has a different opinion on the badge and some folks may like it, so it's good they are offering everyone an option :) 

edited April 2021

I have an interesting idea for you. Using Aging Morphs for either male or female, tackle a character and show us what your character looks like Before and After. Please keep them in the same pose/position so we can click back and forth. Or, if you've already rendered one, feel free to share :) 

I did DD Summer.for Teen Raven. I thought it would be fun to do a character for a teen as a senior! This is my first time using the Aging Morphs and I love it! 

I used Leighton teeth (found in Actor>Head>Mouth>Morphs to make the teeth shorter and with slight spaces between them. I also added a yellow-gray color to them.  Eyelashes turn gray or white, and I used Hala's eyelashes on DD Summer. 

One thing you'll have to watch- the Aging forehead morphs can do wonky things with the hairline, so be sure and check that for postwork. I had to also fix the eyebrows with postwork because they were so thick and morphs impacted them too. (Made them disappear.) 

In summary- In addition to the morphs- I changed the hair color, eyebrow color, teeth color and shape, eyelash color.

So enjoy- click back and forth to see the changes. Eerie! 

DD Summer Cake One IBL 2-03 2.png
    600 x 900 - 669K
    DD Summer Aged.png
    600 x 900 - 689K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

DD Summer.for Teen Raven.      Ilias Hair (G8F) 

I do want to point out a flaw which continues to bother me on characters, and that's the lack of extending the eyelashes to the corners. 

And another view of Summer. 

So far as the hair,  I've tried every (capital) i and L combination and nothing came up for me in store search or product library.  Illias hair ?   Is that a capital i then double L then ias?  It's so tiny in the studio I can see the i in front of the as but what the heck is the beginning of that hair? I'll link it if you can help figure it out. Bluntly, not a smart move by a vendor to name a hair like this. @vwrangler  THANK YOU! 

You can see the eyelashes not extending far enough over. It looks really bad when you really exaggerate the lashes to begin with.

I hate her brows extending so far down the bridge of her nose, I got her for her skin materials. Adorable freckles. Also got her on sale (of course.) 

DD Summer eye.png
    600 x 900 - 904K
    DD Summer Cake One IBL 2-03.png
    600 x 900 - 627K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2021

VYK Nome

I really increased the bump and put in postwork to increase midtones and shadows so detail would show. Those eyes are funky if you just use what loads up. This is with both eyes OFF and I wanted you to see the bars. You can view the promos to see the wide range of options you get with Nome, I was surprised. A large variety!!!!(Not re-creating the wheel, the promos are really good. Just wanted to call your attention to this figure.) Just think what you could do to those eye orbs with shaders!

The vendor also put in a lot of facial expressions and poses for you too!

I increased the sharpness in post work for the skin pores, so what you see isn't the default.

VYK Gnome Bump Increased.png
    611 x 900 - 904K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

The hair is this: https://www.daz3d.com/ilias-hair-for-genesis-8

It's part of one of the Kjaer 8 bundles, done by AprilYSH.

edited April 2021

@vwrangler Thank you! 

BTW that freebie looks decent (for the season pass holders) except BARELY ANY COVERING OVER THE DOOR?  Yeah, let me stand in the pouring rain. You could steal some parts off another building I suppose, if there were separate. Did you notice in the promos, you step DOWN at the door? So all that rain would pile into the welcome mat area? Am I seeing that right? (Yep, I am. Look at the second row, second thumbnail, and the last promo on that row.)  So barely any covering and a lowered door area. Hmmm.

Post edited by Novica on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Novica said:

@vwrangler Thank you! 

BTW that freebie looks decent (for the season pass holders) except BARELY ANY COVERING OVER THE DOOR?  Yeah, let me stand in the pouring rain. You could steal some parts off another building I suppose, if there were separate. Did you notice in the promos, you step DOWN at the door? So all that rain would pile into the welcome mat area? Am I seeing that right? (Yep, I am. Look at the second row, second thumbnail, and the last promo on that row.)  So barely any covering and a lowered door area. Hmmm.

A puddle would form quite readily there and seep under the door and I would fall over that step everytime I walked out of the door :) 

edited April 2021

@fishtales   I know, right? Who goes out the front door and steps UP onto the sidewalk????? I just can't get over how little the door is inset to keep the water out of that area. This doesn't seem thought out. Otherwise, it seems like a unique set so far as layout. Pity that doorway isn't up to par.

Post edited by Novica on

Novica said:

I have an interesting idea for you. Using Aging Morphs for either male or female, tackle a character and show us what your character looks like Before and After. Please keep them in the same pose/position so we can click back and forth. Or, if you've already rendered one, feel free to share :) 

I did DD Summer.for Teen Raven. I thought it would be fun to do a character for a teen as a senior! This is my first time using the Aging Morphs and I love it! 

I used Leighton teeth (found in Actor>Head>Mouth>Morphs to make the teeth shorter and with slight spaces between them. I also added a yellow-gray color to them.  Eyelashes turn gray or white, and I used Hala's eyelashes on DD Summer. 

One thing you'll have to watch- the Aging forehead morphs can do wonky things with the hairline, so be sure and check that for postwork. I had to also fix the eyebrows with postwork because they were so thick and morphs impacted them too. (Made them disappear.) 

In summary- In addition to the morphs- I changed the hair color, eyebrow color, teeth color and shape, eyelash color.

So enjoy- click back and forth to see the changes. Eerie! 

You made Teen Raven look much more interesting to me than the overused koolaid promo artwork in the store. That's a much better character than I thought.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

Novica said:

@fishtales   I know, right? Who goes out the front door and steps UP onto the sidewalk????? I just can't get over how little the door is inset to keep the water out of that area. This doesn't seem thought out. Otherwise, it seems like a unique set so far as layout. Pity that doorway isn't up to par.

Actually, looking at the last overhead view, it looks like the door is inset a decent amount. The sidewalk is clearly angled downward from the door, so unless rain was blowing fairly hard, I think there might be just enough shelter to keep it from puddling too badly. 

Probably take a few months, at least, to stop tripping over the doorstep every time you went out, though. And you'd still trip over it later on if you were in a hurry. And visitors wouldn't be expecting it at all and would likely keep literally falling into the door. Probably wouldn't be too long before anyone who owned it got tired of all that and got rid of that nice banked sidewalk so that they could get into and out of the house without risking injury .... which would produce the problem of water running into the house.

Mike Holmes absolutely would not approve of that door construction.

I do wonder what the rest of the house structure would look like. That's only an exterior front facade -- the front hall and wings, but no actual room/house structure behind those.

Could it be a homeowner's DIY project to spruce up the front that got away from them? I will take some time this morning to see if I can sink the from walk down or something. But it will be over two hours from now.

memcneil70 said:

Could it be a homeowner's DIY project to spruce up the front that got away from them? I will take some time this morning to see if I can sink the from walk down or something. But it will be over two hours from now.

We'll be here LOL. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.  

Well, I loaded it up and it makes me think of homes in the Western United States. Even though it comes with cameras loaded, I used the default camera to move close to the front door (which has the option to open by a slider, which is nice).

My first impression of poor design was a downspout right next to the front door and a walkway light unit. This might cause flooding into the house very easily and shorting out of the lighting unit, and possibly a fire. One thing about the West, when we get rain it can come in monsoon quantities. You do want your entrances elevated somewhat above the ground level. And I can't think of anywhere I have lived in the U.S., Europe, or Asia where that is not true.

The Sunrise Hangout Base is all one unit, see my snip of the Surfaces tab. I guess you might be able to break it apart if you use the Geometry Editor or something?

But, if you just need a simple house for a character to be leaving, walking down a path, meeting someone, or sitting on a rock, it can do the job. Or be filler in a neighborhood scene, so long as you don't need a full house, but just a front elevation.

For me, it was free (with my purchased pass) and I thank Daz. If I had to decide to use credit or cash and be on a budget now, I might wait for a big sale.

Mary

door shot 1.png
    600 x 600 - 682K
    door shot 2.png
    600 x 600 - 667K
    Base one unit.PNG
    1575 x 875 - 2M

memcneil70 said:

My first impression of poor design was a downspout right next to the front door and a walkway light unit. 

The Sunrise Hangout Base is all one unit, see my snip of the Surfaces tab. I guess you might be able to break it apart if you use the Geometry Editor or something?

It also appears the foyer has materials so when you open the door there's something there. Thanks for showing the studio view too. :)    And yeah, that downspout is ridiculous placement.  

edited April 2021

How often are they going to release the freebies for you folks on the season pass? Is it two freebies, so one a month for the two months?

Post edited by Novica on

I have no more information than what is on the initial advertising page. I only found the free item after 6pm MST yesterday as I was closing down my computers for the night. 

I had spent the past few days working on my desktop clearing out all the DAZ Connect files. And it goes slow because when I get tired, or the dog starts to pace, toe nails clicking, I get distracted on what I am doing and mess-up. Haven't bought anything in the store for days. Great way to remind yourself what you have and don't ever use!

I still can't figure out why somethings install just fine on one computer and like a mess on the other. No rhyme or reason I can see. I had to initiate a report to Customer Support for help on one. Files are there, but don't show in DS at all, except as blanks in DAZ Connect again. And I am working Off Line and will continue to do so. I suspect that was the source of many of my problems, updates that never made it to DIM, but DAZ Connect pushed them. And my sheer ignorance at first, downloading, even though I had downloaded in DIM. 

edited April 2021

Not a fan of the building facade freebie. I don't see that I would use it for much to be honest, and I have better home entranceways in my runtime.

I am surprised the store would not lead with a more salivating inducing freebie to get people wishing they had signed up. This is a freebie I'd download and forget about.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,775
    edited April 2021

Can I ask you guys to do a little beta testing for me? I've just published my first freebie, and I'd like to know if if works properly on other peoples' machines:

Introducing the GeoBra for G3F, G8F & G8.1F, a bra so comfortable it's like a second skin. No wires, buckles, hooks or clips, in fact no geometry of its own at all!

This product uses Daz Studio's Geometry Shell feature to create a bra that can be safely worn under other clothes without requiring many resources or causing poke-through. It is intended to be used under sheer or semi-sheer tops to preserve your model's modesty.

The bra is available in two styles (lacy and plain) in both 1K and 4K resolutions, and in three colors - but you can set it to whatever color you like by changing the diffuse. Both Iray and 3Delight versions are included.

It's not intended to be worn in plain view (there are much better freebies for that with real geometry), but to go under sheer and semi-sheer tops to preserve your models' modesty and avoid the attentions of the Daz Forum Nipple Police. Here's an example:

And now in creepy Man-O-Vision:

Here's one of the icon files to give you a better view of the front. I hope the strapping looks plausible, such garments really aren't my area of expertise!

You can download it here: https://sharecg.com/v/97449/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/GeoBra

Promo credits to follow when I post this in the Freebies forum.

geobrapromo.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 277K
    geobrapromo2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 269K
    GeoBra Style 2.png
    512 x 512 - 458K
    Post edited by chris-2599934 on

chris-2599934 said:

Here's one of the icon files to give you a better view of the front. I hope the strapping looks plausible, such garments really aren't my area of expertise!

You can download it here: https://sharecg.com/v/97449/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/GeoBra

Promo credits to follow when I post this in the Freebies forum.

I haven't tested it, but man, it looks really good!  I think the flow of the straps looks delightful, nice and soft. I'd love to see you make a swimsuit which is modest and has a fuller backside covering the booty and SELL it here at Daz. I'd sure buy it. Things which seem family friendly AREN'T once the character turns around. Too much butt cheeks showing. We need swimsuits which work for kids too, including pre-teens.  

• Novica said:

Oh, and a milestone for me. Mike and I have been married THIRTY YEARS as of March 16th. We got married in 1991.  laugh 

Very late to the party, but can I wish you the best. You got married on the same day (actually the same day, 16 March 1991) as Tracy & I. Hope you're still as happy as you were and as happy as we still are.

Regards,

Richard.