UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• Artini said:

You could put a custom height map into UltraSceneryXT.

Maybe World Machine can export them.

That's one of the things I do now but a World Machine terrain is capible of greater scale and customization. I have to see how World Machine PBR materials perform with Muelsfell Multilayer Iray Terrain Shader, and figure out how to get proper plant distributions out of Ultrascatter Pro, so I have options to explore. It is just frustrating trying to recreate what UltraSceneryXT already does so well. I have several great tools but the question is how to best use them together. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited September 2022

avmorgan said:

Artini said:

You could put a custom height map into UltraSceneryXT.

Maybe World Machine can export them.

That's one of the things I do now but a World Machine terrain is capible of greater scale and customization. I have to see how World Machine PBR materials perform with Muelsfell Multilayer Iray Terrain Shader, and figure out how to get proper plant distributions out of Ultrascatter Pro, so I have options to explore. It is just frustrating trying to recreate what UltraSceneryXT already does so well. I have several great tools but the question is how to best use them together. 

Good thinking - I have also a lot of tools available.

For me, UltraSceneryXT is of use for quality renders of big terrains in Daz Studio.

For anything else, I use Unity game engine, where I can easily create a huge terrains (8 km x 8 km or larger)

with different ecosystems and all of that is rendered in real time, so I could create animations.

I can also add traffic system, cities and transfer characters and the other items from Daz studio,

using Daz to Unity bridge.

Post edited by Artini on
  • lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 594
    edited September 2022

I have a problem with XT...I can't save the biome with the terrain. When I open the file only the terrain renders. I have saved the maps in the same folder I am saving the scene subset as I read in the manual. Do I need to save all XT scenes in the UltrasceneryXT folder? I have been saving them with the rest of the scene's subsets. Help!

Post edited by lorraineopua on
  • I tried reading through this thread but 31 pages is too much.  I've attached an image from ultrascenery and you can see there is no ground material.  Didn't do anything special.  Loaded the landscape and applied a preset to it.  Saved the maps created in their seperate folder under documents.  There are no error messages and no matter which preset I use I get the same ground.  Even changing the terrain mat doesn't change the render results.

Any suggestions?  btw, I installed through DAZ central, uninstalled, installed with DIM, uninstalled and installed manually and nothing changes.

Thanks

tested.png
    1400 x 1400 - 3M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Trouble said:

I tried reading through this thread but 31 pages is too much.  I've attached an image from ultrascenery and you can see there is no ground material.  Didn't do anything special.  Loaded the landscape and applied a preset to it.  Saved the maps created in their seperate folder under documents.  There are no error messages and no matter which preset I use I get the same ground.  Even changing the terrain mat doesn't change the render results.

Any suggestions?  btw, I installed through DAZ central, uninstalled, installed with DIM, uninstalled and installed manually and nothing changes.

Thanks

People have reported incompatibilities between nvidia 1.7.0 vMaterials and DS 4.20. If you have vMaterials installed, update to nvidia 2.0 vMaterials for use with the current version of Iray in DS.

You didn't mention what version of DS you are using or what graphics card and driver you are using. That info may be helpful if the vMaterials issue doesn't solve your problem.

lorraineopua said:

I have a problem with XT...I can't save the biome with the terrain. When I open the file only the terrain renders. I have saved the maps in the same folder I am saving the scene subset as I read in the manual. Do I need to save all XT scenes in the UltrasceneryXT folder? I have been saving them with the rest of the scene's subsets. Help!

Save as a scene, not a scene subset.

• I use 4.2 and I have an Nvidia geforece rtx 3060 for my renders.  Prior to that I have 4.16 and had the same issue there with an amd graphics card.  Since I don't know what vMaterials is, I would say I don't have it.

Trouble said:

I use 4.2 and I have an Nvidia geforece rtx 3060 for my renders.  Prior to that I have 4.16 and had the same issue there with an amd graphics card.  Since I don't know what vMaterials is, I would say I don't have it.

I'm pretty sure you mean DS 4.20, not 4.2. RTX 3060 is a very good card and should work fine. Is your graphics card driver up to date? What is the driver version number? (Right click on your PC desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel. When it opens, click on the System Information link in the very lower left. It will tell you your driver version. Mine is 516.93.) Each version of DS comes with a version of Iray and each version of Iray has a minimum driver version that is required, so let's be sure you are up to date.

• barbult said:

Trouble said:

I use 4.2 and I have an Nvidia geforece rtx 3060 for my renders.  Prior to that I have 4.16 and had the same issue there with an amd graphics card.  Since I don't know what vMaterials is, I would say I don't have it.

I'm pretty sure you mean DS 4.20, not 4.2. RTX 3060 is a very good card and should work fine. Is your graphics card driver up to date? What is the driver version number? (Right click on your PC desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel. When it opens, click on the System Information link in the very lower left. It will tell you your driver version. Mine is 516.93.) Each version of DS comes with a version of Iray and each version of Iray has a minimum driver version that is required, so let's be sure you are up to date.

yes 4.20 and driver ver is 512.95 and uptodate.  Just got this computer so haven't even memorized anything yet.  

Trouble said:

barbult said:

Trouble said:

yes 4.20 and driver ver is 512.95 and uptodate.  Just got this computer so haven't even memorized anything yet.  

That driver version should be OK. I can't think of any other known issue that cause custom shaders to render black. Do you see any related errors in the DS log file?

• barbult said:

Trouble said:

barbult said:

Trouble said:

That driver version should be OK. I can't think of any other known issue that cause custom shaders to render black. Do you see any related errors in the DS log file?

No discernible erros in the log.  The black ground happed in 4.16 with an amd video card. 

Trouble said:

No discernible erros in the log.  The black ground happed in 4.16 with an amd video card. 

I saw that you mentioned that earlier. That system would have been rendering with the CPU, since Iray does not support AMD cards. The common factor is Iray. That is why I asked about the Nvidia vMaterials first. UltraSceneryXT uses a custom shader on the terrain. The Nvidia vMaterials 1.7 conflicted with the Iray version in recent versions of Daz Studio, causing some custom shaders to render black. I'm not sure when that problem first occurred. It may have been a problem already in 4.16. Did your UltraSceneryXT ever render correctly in an older DS version, or is 4.16 as old as you ever had?

• barbult said:

Trouble said:

I saw that you mentioned that earlier. That system would have been rendering with the CPU, since Iray does not support AMD cards. The common factor is Iray. That is why I asked about the Nvidia vMaterials first. UltraSceneryXT uses a custom shader on the terrain. The Nvidia vMaterials 1.7 conflicted with the Iray version in recent versions of Daz Studio, causing some custom shaders to render black. I'm not sure when that problem first occurred. It may have been a problem already in 4.16. Did your UltraSceneryXT ever render correctly in an older DS version, or is 4.16 as old as you ever had?

No it never rendered correctly in 4.16 so I just let it go and stopped fiddling with it because it was making me crazy.  Just thought I'd try again as I have a new computer the an Nvidia card.  ha!  Silly me. 

Trouble said:

barbult said:

Trouble said:

No it never rendered correctly in 4.16 so I just let it go and stopped fiddling with it because it was making me crazy.  Just thought I'd try again as I have a new computer the an Nvidia card.  ha!  Silly me. 

I don't know any other causes of the black render of custom shaders. I'm sorry I can't find a solution for you. Perhaps someone else will remember something and offer a clue.

• barbult said:

Trouble said:

barbult said:

Trouble said:

I don't know any other causes of the black render of custom shaders. I'm sorry I can't find a solution for you. Perhaps someone else will remember something and offer a clue.

Don't be sorry.  You can just slap me.  I had a niggling so I went and double-checked the nvidia driver and a new one had come out on Tuesday.  I installed it and the land now has the proper material assigned.

My apologies for taking your time.  I should always remember K.I.S.S.  Thank you again for your help. 

Trouble said:

barbult said:

Trouble said:

barbult said:

Trouble said:

Don't be sorry.  You can just slap me.  I had a niggling so I went and double-checked the nvidia driver and a new one had come out on Tuesday.  I installed it and the land now has the proper material assigned.

My apologies for taking your time.  I should always remember K.I.S.S.  Thank you again for your help. 

Wow, that's awesome! smileyyes

• barbult said:

lorraineopua said:

Save as a scene, not a scene subset.

Thank you. 

• Hi!
    I just bought the product and realized it doesn't work (https://www.daz3d.com/ultrasceneryxt--expansive-landscape-system).
    At least it doesn't start working.
    Installation is ok (directly from DAZ) , but I can't use anything.
    n the previous version (UltraScenery ) which I am very happy with, there was an option to configure all the parameters and then the context was created.

Here it is not clear where to start, the documentation does not exist (there is not with the product) and the only clue is:
    "This plug-in uses noise generators or height maps to create the terrain to which you can then apply erosion filters, stratification filters, smoothing, and displacement."
    What the hell does that mean: "uses noise generators" ??

How should I do to use it? Does it really work on its own or should I take something else?

Can anyone help me out of this annoying situation?

thank you

• The documentation is in MyDAZ 3D Library > Readme's > UltraSceneryXT > UltraSceneryXT Reference Guide.pdf

• dragonlichdragonlich Posts: 8
    edited September 2022

Thank you Butterflyfish!

Post edited by dragonlich on
  • OK, very good. I found the documentation (I don't know why there isn't something directly accessible from DAZStudio.
    In point 2, "Basic Operation" you immediately see that there is a problem .. There is no entry in the Tabs!
    Did I have installation problems?
    Or have I bought a "part" of the product that cannot work on its own? Is it possible that it is not indicated in the description of the card?
    Mah ..

Immagine.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 443K
  • Hmm. That's odd. It should be there. Did you install with DIM (Install Manager)? Or some other way? I *think* there may have been problems if you install some other way, like from inside the program.

dragonlich said:

OK, very good. I found the documentation (I don't know why there isn't something directly accessible from DAZStudio.
    In point 2, "Basic Operation" you immediately see that there is a problem .. There is no entry in the Tabs!
    Did I have installation problems?
    Or have I bought a "part" of the product that cannot work on its own? Is it possible that it is not indicated in the description of the card?
    Mah ..

Yes, it looks like you have only installed part of the product. The plugin can be installed with DIM (Daz Install Manager) or perhaps manually. I don't think plugins can be installed from instide Daz Studio (i.e. with Daz Connect).

edited October 2022

Trying to fill the terrain with some trees.

Gibson preset with trees from todays offer:

https://www.daz3d.com/5-dead-bonsai-trees-volume-2

Gibson01pic10.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 768K
    Post edited by Artini on

Artini said:

Trying to fill the terrain with some trees.

Gibson preset with trees from todays offer:

https://www.daz3d.com/5-dead-bonsai-trees-volume-2

Great! Go the next step, and use UltraScatterPro to scatter more of those trees across an area of the USX terrain.

edited October 2022

Thanks, @barbult.

You are right, UltraScatterPro would provide more details.

I need to refresh my memory about how to use it

Close-ups of UltraSceneryXT usually lack of details.

Post edited by Artini on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

As an idea, this happened to me when I was visiting my aunt & uncle in the Mojave Desert at 13, and went to a drive-in movie with cousins. The oldest one who drove there gave me my first chance to drive home in the dark along a narrow road, the Joshua Trees glimpsed by the headlights and my bad vision turned into adults rushing into the road.

I think I was driving at 5mph. Stopped and let the cousin take over. Didn't get my license until I was 22 and had glasses.

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,062

Artini said:

Thanks, @barbult.

You are right, UltraScatterPro would provide more details.

I need to refresh my memory about how to use it

Close-ups of UltraSceneryXT usually lack of details.

I spent all night last night experimenting with UltraScatterPro...  I think I have it now???  We shall see... lol

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,062

memcneil70 said:

As an idea, this happened to me when I was visiting my aunt & uncle in the Mojave Desert at 13, and went to a drive-in movie with cousins. The oldest one who drove there gave me my first chance to drive home in the dark along a narrow road, the Joshua Trees glimpsed by the headlights and my bad vision turned into adults rushing into the road.

I think I was driving at 5mph. Stopped and let the cousin take over. Didn't get my license until I was 22 and had glasses.

Interesting idea... I think YOU should go for it ;)  I'm cheering for you... .rahhh raaahhhh raaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!

edited October 2022

Added UltraScatter Pro generated trees.

UltraScatter Pro has a limit on minimum Y position set to -1000, so I have used dForce draped surface,

moved it to 0 position and then scattered trees there.

After that I have moved the scattered objects back to UltraSceneryXT generated terrain position.

Gibson02pic03.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 751K
    Post edited by Artini on