UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited April 2023

DIM is Daz Install Manager. You do not install anything manually with DIM. DIM is a tool that can download and install your purchases. It must be properly configured before use. Where does it not show up? Are you looking in DIM or in your account Product Library or some place else? What is the name of the zip file you have? Where did you get the zip file?

Post edited by barbult on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,917
    edited April 2023

wily10abc said:

barbult said:

UltraScenryXT is not just content to be dragged into the Daz library. There is a plugin that needs to be installed, and that does not go in the content library.  I don't know if the plug in is made available for manual installation or not. Did you install the plugin? DIM can  install plugins.

how do i manually install the plugin using DIM? it doesnt show up in the avaliable downloads because i have it as a zip file.

It should show up on the Ready to Install tab if the zip is in your downloads directory as specified in DIM.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,311
    edited April 2023

DoctorJellybean said:

wily10abc said:

barbult said:

UltraScenryXT is not just content to be dragged into the Daz library. There is a plugin that needs to be installed, and that does not go in the content library.  I don't know if the plug in is made available for manual installation or not. Did you install the plugin? DIM can  install plugins.

how do i manually install the plugin using DIM? it doesnt show up in the avaliable downloads because i have it as a zip file.

It should show up on the Ready to Install tab if the zip is in your downloads directory as specified in DIM.

With one exception, I don't recall having any problems installing either Ultrascenery or USXT products manually. 

The exception is the Accellerator for US. This requires DIM. 

Cheers

Alex. 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • i got it to install and it works now.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    edited April 2023

Don't be fooled. Do not update: I had noticed three updates in DIM for ultrascenery products but no mention of what was being updated or why, but I went ahead and "updated" all three including USXT and now it can't locate all the files.

Capture.PNG
    2211 x 734 - 289K
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584

AnEye4Art said:

Don't be fooled. Do not update: I had noticed three updates in DIM for ultrascenery products but no mention of what was being updated or why, but I went ahead and "updated" all three including USXT and now it can't locate all the files.

Yeah, that's my bad. Fixing now. Those images aren't actually needed so if you regenerate your maps it should still all render ok.
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

Thank you.

Folks with M1 or M2 powered Macs will be happy to know that the next update to the UltraSceneryXT plugin works on that platform :)
  • HowieFarkes said:

Folks with M1 or M2 powered Macs will be happy to know that the next update to the UltraSceneryXT plugin works on that platform :)

Very pleased to hear that! Just upgraded to M2 Max.... Thanks for the news! 

• MelonLordMelonLord Posts: 45

Hi guys, can anyone guide me ? I cant find the option to run the script. In yt videos they're supposed to be in Windows>Panes(Tabs) but there's no option for it. I can see the folder in smart content altho

MelonLord said:

Hi guys, can anyone guide me ? I cant find the option to run the script. In yt videos they're supposed to be in Windows>Panes(Tabs) but there's no option for it. I can see the folder in smart content altho

This is a plug-in, not a script, therefore is best installed using DIM. I'm not even sure if it installs correctly using Smart Content. If installed correctly then yes - going to Windows->Panes (Tabs) and there should be an UltraSceneryXT menu item near the bottom of the menu. There should also be a menu item in the "Create" menu.
  • MelonLordMelonLord Posts: 45
    edited May 2023
    This is a plug-in, not a script, therefore is best installed using DIM. I'm not even sure if it installs correctly using Smart Content. If installed correctly then yes - going to Windows->Panes (Tabs) and there should be an UltraSceneryXT menu item near the bottom of the menu. There should also be a menu item in the "Create" menu.

Yes, my bad. It seems I didnt installed it correctly. After reinstalling it, now I can see the option.

Post edited by MelonLord on
  • cshaw999cshaw999 Posts: 14

Hi Folks, I don't find getting started with this product as easy as Ultrascenary, which just works without issue.

I installed the product uising DIM, as seems to be the recommendation.

I followed the instructions in the user guide to create a terrain. I have named it UltraSceneryXT and saved the Terrain Maps into a folder named Terrain001. I clicked Update Maps (no issue).

With my viewport set to Texture Shaded I see the generated terrain but it is monochrome. See attached screenshot usxt01. Is this normal? 

As a test, I switch the viewport to iray and the terrain becomes white. See attached screenshot usxt01-1. Is this normal? I switch back to Texture Shaded.

On attempting to select a Preset from the dropdown there are no presets listed. Also there is no option to browse to the directory where the presets were installed. See screenshot usxt02.

Later on I attempt to apply a Water Meterial by clicking the dropdown. Again no materials are listed and there is no option to browse to where they might be installed.

So I give on on using the UltrasceneryXT tab and instead try to apply a preset directly to the generated terrain.So I select my terrain in the Scene tab and then double click the USX Preset 01 Vernon environment preset. See screenshot usxt03. Then I start getting errors. See screenshot usxt04.

Looks like the errosion filters have been applied but no materials. See screenshot usxt05.

Switching to iray and I can see a material applied but not exactly what I was expecting (but maybe this is okay?), but certainly no props have been applied. It looks like an attempt to playy water has been made (see the dark shadow) but it is probably missing its material. See screenshot usxt06.

Am I doing things wrong ot perhaps do I have an installation problem? In the latter case I used DIM as recommended so not sure how it could have gone wrong.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

usxt01.png
    1393 x 978 - 413K
    usxt01-1.png
    1389 x 972 - 1M
    usxt02.png
    1391 x 975 - 321K
    usxt03.png
    1914 x 979 - 840K
    usxt04.png
    1915 x 1037 - 851K
    usxt05.png
    1385 x 984 - 404K
    usxt06.png
    1388 x 978 - 1M
  • I know from the little I've played with them, that lots of things don't show up until it's actually rendered. Maybe that is the issue.
    Also, with DIM, you can uninstall an item and then reinstall it, which will fix any corruption from the download/install process. 

cshaw999 said:

Hi Folks, I don't find getting started with this product as easy as Ultrascenary, which just works without issue.

I installed the product uising DIM, as seems to be the recommendation.

I followed the instructions in the user guide to create a terrain. I have named it UltraSceneryXT and saved the Terrain Maps into a folder named Terrain001. I clicked Update Maps (no issue).

With my viewport set to Texture Shaded I see the generated terrain but it is monochrome. See attached screenshot usxt01. Is this normal? 

As a test, I switch the viewport to iray and the terrain becomes white. See attached screenshot usxt01-1. Is this normal? I switch back to Texture Shaded.

On attempting to select a Preset from the dropdown there are no presets listed. Also there is no option to browse to the directory where the presets were installed. See screenshot usxt02.

Later on I attempt to apply a Water Meterial by clicking the dropdown. Again no materials are listed and there is no option to browse to where they might be installed.

So I give on on using the UltrasceneryXT tab and instead try to apply a preset directly to the generated terrain.So I select my terrain in the Scene tab and then double click the USX Preset 01 Vernon environment preset. See screenshot usxt03. Then I start getting errors. See screenshot usxt04.

Looks like the errosion filters have been applied but no materials. See screenshot usxt05.

Switching to iray and I can see a material applied but not exactly what I was expecting (but maybe this is okay?), but certainly no props have been applied. It looks like an attempt to playy water has been made (see the dark shadow) but it is probably missing its material. See screenshot usxt06.

Am I doing things wrong ot perhaps do I have an installation problem? In the latter case I used DIM as recommended so not sure how it could have gone wrong.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

• cshaw999cshaw999 Posts: 14
    edited May 2023

Guys, I have managed to get this sorted. I think the problem was I was missing the product install path C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D in my Daz Stusio Content Directory set.

I have a basic render working, so now it's play time! :)

Post edited by cshaw999 on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

I was looking at Predatron's Japanese Fishing Junk this morning and followed the links for renders and there was one that was breathtaking that used UltraSceneryXT in the background. I just wanted to post a link to it in the gallery so everyone can enjoy it, called La Licorne fait escale au Japon.

Mary

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,066

That is remarkable. Also includes the Licorne (which is in my wishlist), HMS Victory and 3djoji's Armed Virginia Sloop (got those two). There are three more vessels I can't identify immediately. The one on the left looks as if it's an older style than the rest to my view due to how steep the bowsprit is. Could be Faveral's Medusa.

Fantastic image, though.

Regards,

Richard

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750

OMG, Howie! UltraScenery XT is now usable on Mac M1s!

I just saw the update in DIM on one of my Win 10 computers. Thank you so much for your hard work getting this worked out for all of us Mac users.

Mary

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,233

Every time I open DIM it wants to update UltraScenery Xt why is this?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

AgitatedRiot said:

Same here 

• HighlandHighland Posts: 124

AgitatedRiot said:

I had notice of an update 5/16/23. I installed it and DIM has not mentioned it since. Daz 4.21.

• RoobarbRoobarb Posts: 16
    edited May 2023

Noticed an update for UltrasceneryXT today. Since updating all it generates are barren rock terrains, whehter I use a preset or manually add a biome, there is no vegetation, just rock.

Tried uninstalling and re-installing through DIM, but it appears something has badly broken.

Edit: Take it back its showing in render; always used to show in iRay preview before

Post edited by Roobarb on

AgitatedRiot said:

A new update to UltraSceneryXT was released this week (contains some bug fixes, a new "Eroded Hills" terrain generator, and also works on Apple Silicon Macs). Once updated via DIM it shouldn't ask to update again. Is that what's happening?
    edited May 2023

HowieFarkes said:

AgitatedRiot said:

A new update to UltraSceneryXT was released this week (contains some bug fixes, a new "Eroded Hills" terrain generator, and also works on Apple Silicon Macs). Once updated via DIM it shouldn't ask to update again. Is that what's happening?

For me (I just tried this) it lists UltraSceneryXT for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 64-bit) in the Ready to Install tab of DIM. I select it and Instal it (teh DIMHelper asks for permsssion) and it installs. If I hit refresh it then shows it back as back in Ready to Install list.

Just checked the Helper log and:

"2023-05-19 17:23:30.134 [WARNING] :: Extract File Failed - : C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/plugins/UltraSceneryXT/libUltraSceneryXT.dll
    2023-05-19 17:23:30.136 [INFO] :: Install Failed: UltraSceneryXT for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 64-bit)"

It also shows as a size of -1 bytes in Installed list

Post edited by SimonJM on

Update: I shutdown Daz, moved the plugin folder for UltraScenery then went back to DIM to install and that seems to have fixed things.

• EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,069
    edited May 2023

I downloaded the zip folder that contains the items for this product, and after I extracted them to My DAZ 3D Library folder (which I have on my external hard drive (E drive) and do not use from my C drive on my Windows PC), I tried to open a preset, but nothing appeared - got an error message, which informed me to check out a log file for details.  What happened? Where did I go wrong?

I also couldn't locate the .dll file for UltraSceneryXT in my plugin folders.  What is going on?

EDIT: I just realized the presets i was trying to open were actually classified as "Properties" not "Preset" or "Subset".  What would I have to do in order to open up a preset?

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on

I read the beginning of the instruction manual, and it turns out I needed to install a plugin.  However, I couldn't find the plugin anywhere.  Where could I download the plugin?

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,233
    edited May 2023

HowieFarkes said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Yes, I just tried, and DIM had an update. So I  installed it closed DIM, reopened DIM there was the update again. 

Edit: I got it to install. I embarrass now. I made the rookie mistake of having DAZ open when updating.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

EightiesIsEnough said:

I read the beginning of the instruction manual, and it turns out I needed to install a plugin.  However, I couldn't find the plugin anywhere.  Where could I download the plugin?

The plug-in in only downloadable via DIM (Daz Install Manager) - there is no manual installation option.

So what folder does the plug-in get downloaded in?