UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825

EightiesIsEnough said:

So what folder does the plug-in get downloaded in?

Downloaded or installed? The diownload destination will be the same as any other download, the isntalaltions will be the Plug-ins sub-folder of the daz Studio application folder (or a sub-folder thereof).

• cshaw999cshaw999 Posts: 14

Hi, I suspect this question has been asked before but this thread is too long to read through.

So if someone could answer this question I'd be very grateful.

Is it possible to remove the white stones from the terrain material? e.g. use my own materials?

Thanks!

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2023

Is there no other way to install the plugin? If I have to connect my art computer to the internet, that's a dead stop.
    It 's been air-gapped since I first installed Studio and my product library in 2016. I'm sure that Microsoft has seven
    years of data they want to hoover up and unwanted updates to install, and I'm not taking any chances.
    I downloaded it using DIM onto a throwaway computer USB drive, can I transfer it somehow to my art computer?
    That worked with accelerator. But I can't get it to work with XT. Oh, the plugin shows up and creates a tab and all,
    but when I click on "Create/New UltraSceneryXT Terrain/OK" Studio locks up with an error message.

I really, really hate anything which requires me to connect my computer to the internet. Why design things that way?

Post edited by Petercat on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063

FWIW, I use DIM to download everything I purchase to an external USB drive. I plug that drive into my DAZ system and run DIM in off-line mode to install everything from the USB drive. I've been doing this since DIM came out; prior to that I was doing the same process with my manual downloads.

namffuak said:

FWIW, I use DIM to download everything I purchase to an external USB drive. I plug that drive into my DAZ system and run DIM in off-line mode to install everything from the USB drive. I've been doing this since DIM came out; prior to that I was doing the same process with my manual downloads.

That's the same thing I do, but this time the .dll isn't showing up in DIM for some reason.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584
    edited June 2023

cshaw999 said:

Hi, I suspect this question has been asked before but this thread is too long to read through.

So if someone could answer this question I'd be very grateful.

Is it possible to remove the white stones from the terrain material? e.g. use my own materials?

Thanks!

Not directly through UltraSceneryXT's interface but you can just select the terrain in your scene browser then play with the surface material properties like any other Studio object. Any changes will be overwritten though if you select a different material inside UltraSceneryXT.

Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 4.08.19 pm.png
    974 x 906 - 178K
    Post edited by HowieFarkes on
  • cshaw999cshaw999 Posts: 14

Got it! Thanks for the reply.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited June 2023

Petercat said:

namffuak said:

That's the same thing I do, but this time the .dll isn't showing up in DIM for some reason.

The .dll shouldn't show in DIM, the product should however - if it is in the DIM Downloads folder. (not sure why the attacment has all that white space at the top, I assume it's the Snip and Sketch tool's fault).

UltraSceneryXT in DIM.jpg
    911 x 401 - 35K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited June 2023

The product shows up in DIM, it and the .dll show up in Studio 4.12 program and in
    in the Studio 4.12 plugins folder.
    When in Studio, UltraSceneryXT - Landscape System, and entries for XT Tropical Plants,
    XT Materials and Skies, and XT Tropics are all in my Content Library.
    There is a tab below to my Content Library tab named "UltraSceneryXT" that contains one
    line, "UltraSceneryXT version 1.1.0.3" that I can not click on.
    When I do this sequence: Create - New UltraSceneryXT Terrain... -
    A window opens titled Create New Terrain. I change nothing, click OK, and Studio blinks
    out like the Cheshire Cat, leaving only a smile... err, only a little pane that says "Daz
    Studio has encountered a fatal error, and must close."

The strange part is that I have a copy of DS 4.7.0.12 32-bit and a copy of DS 4.9.2.70 64-bit,
    both of which will reach the point of a grey, wrinkled sheet floating in the nothingness, and
    an UltraSceneryXT tab with lots of items, none of which seem to do anything. There are no
    materials in Terrain Properties, and no maps in Terrain Maps, in fact, no images anywhere in
    the tab.
    But that's with 4.7 and 4.9, at least they don't crash Studio. My problem is that 4.12 crashes
    every time I attempt to use UltraSceneryXT.

Maybe things will work flawlessly when I get my upgraded computer back and install
    everything directly with DIM from the DAZ website (before permanently air gapping it, too).
    But I'll still need this one to create things like scenery while building and rendering scenes
    on the new one.

And right now XT isn't working.

Post edited by Petercat on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,148

UltraSceneryXT was released 2022-03-18, according to the readme file. Expecting a plugin to work in versions of DS that were released years befor that, might be unreasonable. I don't know.

barbult said:

UltraSceneryXT was released 2022-03-18, according to the readme file. Expecting a plugin to work in versions of DS that were released years befor that, might be unreasonable. I don't know.

You could be right. But someone should say so. 
    That's the problem with the "Compatible Software" in the product description.
    It always specifies the newest version of Studio, even when the product will work fine with older versions.
    This is a Genesis 1 figure: https://www.daz3d.com/andrea-for-genesis-young-teen-julie
    That "Compatible Software: Daz Studio 4.21" doesn't say that it will work with just about every version of studio ever made.
    It's a pretty useless entry for that reason. I'm talking about the Daz Studio entry, of course, not Vue or Poser, etc.

So is it true that UltraSceneryXT won't work with Studio 4.12?
    If so, I can quit wasting my time looking for a solution.

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 792

Petercat said:

So is it true that UltraSceneryXT won't work with Studio 4.12?
    If so, I can quit wasting my time looking for a solution.

I have used it with 4.11 and not had any issues that I could ever see.  I haven't had a chance to use it much, but maybe half a dozen times or so.

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 792

HowieFarkes said:

gitika1 said:

Will it work in 4.12?

It should work with all versions 4.8 or newer.

This is what Howie said towards the beginning of the thread. In fact, I've used it in 4.10 before I moved to 4.11. 

ZippyGuitar said:

HowieFarkes said:

gitika1 said:

Will it work in 4.12?

This is what Howie said towards the beginning of the thread. In fact, I've used it in 4.10 before I moved to 4.11. 

The good part is that it will work in 4.12.
    The bad news is that it isn't working in my 4.12.
    Can someone help me figure it out? I'm lost.

edited June 2023

Petercat said:

The product readme contains a link to a file list that tells you where every file should be installed. Pay particular attention to the part at the end of the file list that shows where the plugin files go. The go in a subfolder inside the plugins folder. Triple check that you installed all of the files to the right location.

I'm logging off now. I'll check back tomorrow.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 031750.png
    630 x 371 - 61K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584

Petercat said:

ZippyGuitar said:

HowieFarkes said:

gitika1 said:

Will it work in 4.12?

The plugin was developed and indeed works in 4.8, however... Daz Studio moves on and so does the version of Iray that it uses. The materials have been updated along way to take this into account (just for example sometime after 4.10 some sub-surface-scattering and absorption values needed to be changed by an order of magnitude to look the same). And it seems that some of these changes now cause crashes in older versions of Studio.
  • EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 1,069
    edited June 2023

Thanks for your help, but I did resolve the problem after I reset my PC last Saturday because of a different but potential issue with my computer.  This generator works now.

But there is one problem I am experiencing with this vast landscape generator.  I seem to have no problem adding the terrain and water, but I am having problems with adding trees and other components.  What can I do to fix this problem.

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

EightiesIsEnough said:

Thanks for your help, but I did resolve the problem after I reset my PC last Saturday because of a different but potential issue with my computer.  This generator works now.

But there is one problem I am experiencing with this vast landscape generator.  I seem to have no problem adding the terrain and water, but I am having problems with adding trees and other components.  What can I do to fix this problem.

Have you tried doing a test render?  USXT does not generate visible geometry for vegetation. If it did, your viewport would grind to a halt.  

Cheers,

Alex.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,901
    edited June 2023

I would like to use USX Preset 22 Archipellago, but it seems to render artifacts in the sand. Is it indeed artifacts, does anyone else gets it?

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on

Yes, it appears to be rocky terrain outcrops and their reflection in the water. I tried to upload a render, but the forum uploads still don't work. I'm not going to mess around with posting some place  else. Get somebody to fix the forum so we can help people.

• Yes, i have the same Problem with the Upload

barbult said:

Yes, it appears to be rocky terrain outcrops and their reflection in the water. I tried to upload a render, but the forum uploads still don't work. I'm not going to mess around with posting some place  else. Get somebody to fix the forum so we can help people.

Thanks, glad it is not just me. I might be able to figure out a workaround.

I couldn't upload either, so used Postimages instead. The upload was fixed not so long ago.

Select UltraSceneryXT in the Scene pane. Open the surfaces pane. Scroll down to Sand Bedrock Poke-through and switch it from On to Off. That reduced the Archipelago bedrock at the waterline in my experimentation just now. I'd post a screenshot of the settings and the results, but you know... I tried.

barbult said:

Select UltraSceneryXT in the Scene pane. Open the surfaces pane. Scroll down to Sand Bedrock Poke-through and switch it from On to Off. That reduced the Archipelago bedrock at the waterline in my experimentation just now. I'd post a screenshot of the settings and the results, but you know... I tried.

Thank you. The reduction is quite substantial.

• USX Preset 20 Russel Change the Save Location for the Terrain Maps. The first Picture before Apply the Preset, the Second after Apply the Preset.

Before Apply.png
    922 x 868 - 181K
    After Apply.png
    927 x 890 - 221K
    edited June 2023

bombenleger58 said:

USX Preset 20 Russel Change the Save Location for the Terrain Maps. The first Picture before Apply the Preset, the Second after Apply the Preset.

Confirmed. Please submit a help request about this.

Added: You can fix the preset file yourself with a quick edit, if you want to. Uncompress the preset file (Daz Studio can do this for you in the Batch Convert pane). Edit the uncompressed preset with a text editor. Search for the "animations" section. Remove the following lines:

{
                    "url" : "name://@selection#Terrain%20Map%20Directory:?value/value",
                    "keys" : [ [ 0, "/Volumes/Seagte External/3D Projects/UltraTerrain/Maps Dir/New Folder" ] ]
                },

Post edited by barbult on

Pity UltraSceneryXT doesn't remember the last saved location for the terrain maps. I have to specify it each time.

DoctorJellybean said:

Pity UltraSceneryXT doesn't remember the last saved location for the terrain maps. I have to specify it each time.

Yes, but it always opens to the right folder (the one I used last time) when I browse for the folder, so it is easy to just accept that path each time.

• @barbult thank you