Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,872

Looking great, @Fishtales.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Artini said:

Looking great, @Fishtales.

Thank you. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,757

@Fishtales, the carwash made me smile. I just leave my car parked and it turns from clean to filthy overnight.

• So Ultrascenery products were heavily discounted and I bought a whole lot of them, both the regular US and the XT version. Slowly making my way through them. They are certainly complex enough, a lot to learn.

Having problems with the XT however. More specifically, terrain materials are not showing, they are just black. No matter whether I choose a preset or manually create a scene (i.e. choose a Terrain, a Biome etc.). The Biome renders as expected but the terrain material is just black. No matter which Terrain (or preset) I choose. See the attached sample render.

I installed via DIM, and the Ultrascenery XT products I have are UltraScenery XT, US XT Desert, US XT Tropical Plants, US XT Materials and Skies, and US XT Tropics.

WIndows 10, NVidia RTX 3080.

BlackTerrain.jpg
    747 x 665 - 274K
  • I just bought this and a bunch of add ons for it the other day. Can't wait to play with it. Really love all of your products heartsmiley

edited September 2023

It turned into night :)

Moonlit Drive

2023-09-08 13:35:53.617 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 34 minutes 42.66 seconds

Click on image for full size.

Did some experimenting with lights and Tone Mapping

2023-09-08 14:52:17.195 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 46 minutes 11.40 seconds

moonlit-drive-copyright-002.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 181K
    moonlit-drive-copyright-003.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 327K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,161
    edited September 2023

DannyH said:

So Ultrascenery products were heavily discounted and I bought a whole lot of them, both the regular US and the XT version. Slowly making my way through them. They are certainly complex enough, a lot to learn.

Having problems with the XT however. More specifically, terrain materials are not showing, they are just black. No matter whether I choose a preset or manually create a scene (i.e. choose a Terrain, a Biome etc.). The Biome renders as expected but the terrain material is just black. No matter which Terrain (or preset) I choose. See the attached sample render.

I installed via DIM, and the Ultrascenery XT products I have are UltraScenery XT, US XT Desert, US XT Tropical Plants, US XT Materials and Skies, and US XT Tropics.

The most likely explanation of black materials is that no location has been set  to store the terrain maps. See the first section of the USCXT pane. It's explained in the manual too. (Sorry I'm not at my DAZ Studio PC at the moment so can't do a helpful screenshot!

ETA: Although that may not be your problem because I think the trees also fail to show when there is no save location, whereaas your image shows trees.

Could it be related to this? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7444156/#Comment_7444156

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • DannyHDannyH Posts: 7
    edited September 2023

MelanieL said:

DannyH said:

So Ultrascenery products were heavily discounted and I bought a whole lot of them, both the regular US and the XT version. Slowly making my way through them. They are certainly complex enough, a lot to learn.

The most likely explanation of black materials is that no location has been set  to store the terrain maps. See the first section of the USCXT pane. It's explained in the manual too. (Sorry I'm not at my DAZ Studio PC at the moment so can't do a helpful screenshot!

ETA: Although that may not be your problem because I think the trees also fail to show when there is no save location, whereaas your image shows trees.

Could it be related to this? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7444156/#Comment_7444156

Thank you for responding!

I don't think there's an issue with the terrain map location - it asked me for one when I started rendering, and I specified one. The maps are saved there all right.

But I had no idea about vMaterials, what they are and why I would want them. I will be looking into that.

Post edited by DannyH on
  • Think I found the cause of the problem.

It sometimes happens that when I leave DS on for a long time and work on several different scenes, at some point some part of the nVidia RTX 3080 card or its driver stops interacting with DS correctly. Typical symptoms include all simulations simply failing to start with a highly uniformative error message ("DAZ simulation failed to start" or words to that effect). The simple solution is to close DS and restart, and everything works again.

I had left DS on for days before working on UltraScenery XT, so I tried that method. And, after restarting...suddenly my US XT scenes got their Terrain materials! Problem solved.

How stupid of me not to have thought of that sooner.

FixedTerrain.jpg
    747 x 665 - 353K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,161

Ah, glad you got it sorted!

• drucdruc Posts: 346

When using US XT as a back ground for Ultrascenery, is there a built in Biome mask to stop the XT Biome filling the UltraScenery area? If not, what size is required please?

• druc said:

When using US XT as a back ground for Ultrascenery, is there a built in Biome mask to stop the XT Biome filling the UltraScenery area? If not, what size is required please?

I do inexact stuff like move XT around on the X/Y/Z until it's not intruding on my foreground. 

edited September 2023

I'm afraid I have a new problem with UltraScenery XT. I may have messed things up but I have no idea how to fix this.

I installed the US XT on my backup computer too so I can use it there in case my primary computer breaks down (or is busy). However, I accidentally installed it first through Smart Content. Of course it didn't work.

Realizing my mistake, I uninstalled all parts of US XT and reinstalled everything with DIM. Now it starts but but the content (Terrain selection, Biome selection, Presets etc.) is empty.

What now? I really have no idea how to fix this. I have tried several uninstall/reinstall cycles with DIM but to no avail. The content fails to show up. Could it be that the US XT is expecting to find all its stuff on the C: drive? I have put all my Daz content (assets and projects) on the E: drive on that computer because its main HD has very limited space.  I have configured the DIM directories according. 

But when I hit "Browse" for something in US XT it seems to start in the C: drive.

Any suggestions? Make an exception and try installing the US XT on the C: drive with DIM, just in case it works there? Or is there a way to make it work off the E: drive? I'll happily consider anything, no matter how complicated, as long as it does not involve me reinstalling Daz and all assets (I have a lot of them).

Post edited by DannyH on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,202

@DannyH

1. When you say that you "uninstalled all parts of US XT" did you uninstall it from Smart Content within Daz Studio, or did you just delete the files from your computer? It needs to be uninstalled from Smart Content.
    2. There should be no problem making it work from your E: drive, as long as you have the Daz content library on E included in your Content Directory Manager inside Daz Studio. Have you done that? I run mine successfully from a drive other than C:.

By the way, if you are a DIM user, there is no need to ever login to your account from Daz Studio. That just leads to mistakes like accidently installing something with Daz Connect from Smart Content. Disable automatic login in Daz Studio preferences.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,308

What do you mean as installed via "Smart Content", Smart Content is a way of finding your assets, not an installation or de-installation method.

If you mean they popped up inside Daz Studio asking to be installed, then I am pretty sure that will install using Daz Connect.

Daz Connect is an installation system used with Daz Studio, and is well known not to play well with Ultra Scenery, normal or XT. Check that it has been uninstalled via Daz Connect too.

Havos said:

What do you mean as installed via "Smart Content", Smart Content is a way of finding your assets, not an installation or de-installation method.

If you mean they popped up inside Daz Studio asking to be installed, then I am pretty sure that will install using Daz Connect.

Daz Connect is an installation system used with Daz Studio, and is well known not to play well with Ultra Scenery, normal or XT. Check that it has been uninstalled via Daz Connect too.

The Smart Content pane is where some people click on a product icon and select Install. Yes, that uses Daz Connect, but some new users don't know what Daz Connect is. What they see is the Smart Content pane full of product icons and install them there, never understaning how that is breaking their script products like UltraScenery and UltraScenry XT.

edited September 2023

barbult said:

@DannyH

1. When you say that you "uninstalled all parts of US XT" did you uninstall it from Smart Content within Daz Studio, or did you just delete the files from your computer? It needs to be uninstalled from Smart Content.
    2. There should be no problem making it work from your E: drive, as long as you have the Daz content library on E included in your Content Directory Manager inside Daz Studio. Have you done that? I run mine successfully from a drive other than C:.

Thank you for responding, and apologies for some inexactitude in terms. DazConnect from within Daz is indeed what I meant.

Despite not having posted earlier, I am not a novice user, I have been using Daz for years, and know my way around most of the features, including geometry editor and the D-Former (although I prefer using Blender instead of the built-in D-Former). This was simply the first time I ran into difficulties that I couldn't solve on my own or by googling for the solution.

I'm including my Daz and DIM directory setups (screenshots). These detail the configuration I am using. The primary content drive on that computer is the E: drive.

The question remains, how do I completely uninstall UltraScenery XT from the problem computer so I can try reinstalling it with DIM? Uninstalling the products from within Daz (i.e. R-click, "Uninstall")  and uninstalling with DIM apparently failed to accomplish this.

As an alternative, which files/directories do I need to copy and where if US XT insists on using my C: drive?

Paths_CDM.jpg
    1469 x 642 - 90K
    Paths_DIMM.jpg
    554 x 304 - 59K
    Post edited by DannyH on
    edited September 2023

Still working with the two original Ultrascenery and UltrasceneryXT. I moved the Ultrascenery to a new area reactivated the UltrasceneryXT water and removed the Ultrascenery one. Added a Male Geneseis 8.

The Angler

2023-09-11 21:40:07.251 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 46 minutes 24.1 seconds

This one dropped to CPU but that was before I removed the water layer.

2023-09-09 23:53:51.534 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 2 hours 43 minutes 57.48 seconds

CPU

the-angler-copyright-001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 593K
    the-pond-angler-copyright-001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 477K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,872

Nice mix of 2 Ultrasceneries, @Fishtales

I have to try such techniques for myself.

paulawp (marahzen) said:

druc said:

I do inexact stuff like move XT around on the X/Y/Z until it's not intruding on my foreground. 

I don't know how acurate this is but I played around a little and made this mask. It seems to work OK with the renders I have used it on. 

4 XT 02.jpg
    4096 x 4096 - 1M

Now, that little square is not in the centre so it can't be correct and also may be too large.

As a product suggestion, with the new version of UltraScenery with a larger plane 256 x 256 I believe rather than the current 64 x 64, coud we please have 2 masks. One to make a flat surface for UltraScenery to sit on UltraScenery XT and the second as a mask for the Biome on XT.

• ZWZW Posts: 36

Hello, I just purchased this product allong with some add-ons during the current sale but I'm having all sorts of problems with it. Please note that I install everything manually but I've been doing so since 2006 and I never ran into major issues. The problems I am getting are this...

1: The accelerator won't show that's it's installed (won't show the new logo). My guess is that has something to do with missing DLL for windows 64 bit. I can't download that part manually since it's not an option for manual installation in the product's download page.

2: If I start ultrascenery from the script itself things like features, ecologies etc. appear (expect the water pack stuff for some reason). But if I start the script in Daz Studio itself all the features and the ecologies are gone/blank.

3: If I click build, nothing happens and my GPU, CPU stay at 1-3% usage. So it's like nothing is happening and I let run for like an hour or so.

Any suggestions or help? Especially from people who have installed this product manually before.

Thanks.

Capture.PNG
    961 x 282 - 29K
    Capture2.PNG
    794 x 549 - 69K
    Capture3.PNG
    832 x 594 - 28K
    Capture4.PNG
    425 x 548 - 20K
    Capture5.PNG
    422 x 286 - 55K
    Capture6.PNG
    872 x 599 - 326K
    Capture7.PNG
    1033 x 633 - 416K
  • ZW said:

Hello, I just purchased this product allong with some add-ons during the current sale but I'm having all sorts of problems with it. Please note that I install everything manually but I've been doing so since 2006 and I never ran into major issues. The problems I am getting are this...

1: The accelerator won't show that's it's installed (won't show the new logo). My guess is that has something to do with missing DLL for windows 64 bit. I can't download that part manually since it's not an option for manual installation in the product's download page.

2: If I start ultrascenery from the script itself things like features, ecologies etc. appear (expect the water pack stuff for some reason). But if I start the script in Daz Studio itself all the features and the ecologies are gone/blank.

3: If I click build, nothing happens and my GPU, CPU stay at 1-3% usage. So it's like nothing is happening and I let run for like an hour or so.

Any suggestions or help? Especially from people who have installed this product manually before.

Thanks.

The accellerator has to be installed using DIM. (As does UltrasceneryXT incidentally.)

Have you moved any of the folders containing the Ultrascenery features and ecologies? That will also break the program.

Cheers,

Alex.

• ZW said:

Thanks.

The accellerator has to be installed using DIM. (As does UltrasceneryXT incidentally.)

Have you moved any of the folders containing the Ultrascenery features and ecologies? That will also break the program.

Cheers,

Alex.

• @ZW Just to reiterate what others have said, you should use DIM to install these products. There is a slight learning curve on how to set the DIM up, but once done (via settings and advanced settings), it is very convenient. I was resistant to DIM for a while, but eventually caved because so many useful products (addons/plugins) need it to install correctly.

• ZWZW Posts: 36

alexhcowley said:

ZW said:

Thanks.

Cheers,

Alex.

DIM is a requirement? (I wish this was something DAZ would put in the requirements on the product's page, since we can only know after purchase, unless I missed that information somewhere!) If DIM is a requirement, why does the DAZ download page even have some of the parts ready to download manually to begin with?

As for the features and ecologies... they were installed in my "nature" folder instead of the usual "landscape" although I kind of thought that might cause a problem but I never had any issues like that with other products. I mean my folders aren't that drastically different. In the sense that I kept environments, people, props, vehicles and so on as is, it is within these that I reorganized things, otherwise with the amount of content I have in my library, it is far too difficult to find anything fast in a logical way. Regardless and like I said, it's never been a problem before with other products. So this one is a little sensitive.

I'll see if I can manage anything with the "landscape"s folder specifically for this product and hope it works, otherwise if DIM is an absolute requirement I'll probably ask for a refund. Too bad, because it looked like a neat product.

Thanks for trying to help. :)

• NathNath Posts: 2,719
    edited September 2023

ZW said:

alexhcowley said:

ZW said:

Thanks.

Cheers,

Alex.

DIM is a requirement? (I wish this was something DAZ would put in the requirements on the product's page, since we can only know after purchase, unless I missed that information somewhere!) If DIM is a requirement, why does the DAZ download page even have some of the parts ready to download manually to begin with?

As for the features and ecologies... they were installed in my "nature" folder instead of the usual "landscape" although I kind of thought that might cause a problem but I never had any issues like that with other products. I mean my folders aren't that drastically different. In the sense that I kept environments, people, props, vehicles and so on as is, it is within these that I reorganized things, otherwise with the amount of content I have in my library, it is far too difficult to find anything fast in a logical way. Regardless and like I said, it's never been a problem before with other products. So this one is a little sensitive.

I'll see if I can manage anything with the "landscape"s folder specifically for this product and hope it works, otherwise if DIM is an absolute requirement I'll probably ask for a refund. Too bad, because it looked like a neat product.

I also usually rearrange Environment folder etc., but Ultrascenery really does need to be in the right place, so rather than 'mess up' my regular arrangement, I made a separate Runtime for Ultrascenery and all related products, and just unzip and let things go where they want to. I don't use DIM for it though, I just unzip manually and move everything into place in that separate Runtime without changing anything. It all works fine.

Post edited by Nath on
    edited September 2023

ZW said:

First of all, you are posting in the wrong thread. This is for the UltraSceneryXT - Expansive Landscape System product. To avoid confusion and have the best chance of getting help, you should be posting UltraScenery - Realistic Landscale System questions here.

1. The Accelerator product page does show that Manual installation is not available for that product.
    2. You cannot move any ecology or feature or water folders. They must remain in their original folder hierarchy for the script to find them.
    3. If this is a deal breaker, return the products, but you will be missing out on one of the best product series in Daz, in my opinion.
    4. By the way, don't ever try to install any UltraScenery related product with Daz Connect (inside Daz Studio). That does not work, because it does not retain the required folder structure.

Screenshot 2023-09-16 155008.jpg
    987 x 822 - 179K
    Post edited by barbult on