UltraSceneryXT - large terrain/landscape generator

Comments

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited December 2023

barbult said:

Did you install this product from inside Daz Studio? It will not work that way. Please install it with Daz Install Manager (DIM). Manual installation will also work.

Is your GPU driager, didn't work

installed  using Daz Install Manager, didn't work

Updated my Geforce RTX drivers and it seems it is now working for a test render

Thanks for your help!

scene_mount.jpg
    1800 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • barbult said:

OK, I cleared out the test stuff and made sure that ALL of my installed XT stuff is the store version and all up to date. Now the ground shader renders just fine in DS 4.22.0.9, even when the scene has no water. My problem was totally my own careless fault, but I have it straightened out now.

FYI
    Some changes regarding fog parameters

Ground Fog Changes.JPG
    984 x 449 - 91K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,883
    edited December 2023

I really like Archipelago preset in UltraSceneryXT, so below is a render of it.

Rendering Time was 11 minutes 4 seconds

and postworked version of it.

Archipelago01pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 590K
    Archipelago01pic01vs.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1004K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • metasidemetaside Posts: 175
    edited January 8

After not using it in a long time, some UltrasceneryXT presets have stopped working for me, specifically two of the addons( tropics and materials & skies - desert addon seems to be working fine). For tropical presets, I only get terrains and water, no biomes. But I see all the presets and didn't change anything in my Ultrascenery-related folder structure. Reinstalled the main plugin and the addons, no change. Anybody got an idea what could be wrong?

Edit: Lol, directly after posting this it started working again. No idea what was wrong before...

Post edited by metaside on
  • 5200north5200north Posts: 249

Artini said:

After further adjustments to parameters on USXT, I got this render.

For now it is sufficient for me.

HOW DID YOU DO THIS??? - this is exactly (or close) to something i need !!! nice work!!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,883

Thanks. 5200north. I have used Archipelago preset in USXT and changed parameters:

Lower terrain resolution to 128.
    Smooth on Height Map to 1
    Smooth on Displace to 1.1

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 703

Well done, Artini.

• creed2003creed2003 Posts: 66

Just purchased Ultra Scenery XT and I'm getting an error when attempting to render an image. I read the PDF manual and "think" I have an understanding on how it works. I've attached the error log from when attempting to render. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. 

Error Log Daz.png
    2527 x 1276 - 235K

Peter Wade said:

I've bought this and I've tried several times but I can't get it to render an image. I've created the terrain, set the save location, applied a preset, updated the maps and set instance optimisation to memory. When I try to render I get a box saying UltraSceneryXT is doing something, then I get a box saying. Error during rendering. I cancel this and the render window appears with nothing in it. After I close this the Studio interface is working, I can move the camera and change parameters but if I try to render again it says the renderer is already in use. The only way to get out of this is to exit Studio and start it again.

Maybe my computer is under-powered. I've got a 6 core  i7 running at 3.47 GHz with 12GB Memory and a GTX 1050ti graphics card with 4GB video RAM, 64 bit Windows 10 Pro, Daz Studio 4.20. Is anyone running UltraScenety XT on anything like this?

Did you get this resolved? I'm having the exact same issue. 

Update

I can render a scene if I load in a base terrain and make no modifications to it. Once I change anything, use a preset, Biome, water etc, it gives the error message described above. Really would appreciate help getting this resolved. 

UltraScenery XT Test.jpg
    2527 x 1311 - 2M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,209

creed2003 said:

Update

I can render a scene if I load in a base terrain and make no modifications to it. Once I change anything, use a preset, Biome, water etc, it gives the error message described above. Really would appreciate help getting this resolved. 

More information might help diagnose the problem.

• What are your computer specs (RAM, Graphics card model and VRAM)?
    • What version of Daz Studio are you running?
    • What is your NVIDIA graphics card driver version (or are you just rendering with CPU?)
    • Attach a whole log file as an attachment, not just a partial log screenshot.
    • How did you install UltraScenery XT? (DIM? inside Daz Studio? Manually?)

barbult said:

creed2003 said:

Update

More information might help diagnose the problem.

• What are your computer specs (RAM, Graphics card model and VRAM)?
    • What version of Daz Studio are you running?
    • What is your NVIDIA graphics card driver version (or are you just rendering with CPU?)
    • Attach a whole log file as an attachment, not just a partial log screenshot.
    • How did you install UltraScenery XT? (DIM? inside Daz Studio? Manually?)

PC Specs: 64gb, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24gb, Dell Aurora 16, Windows 11

DAZ Studio 4.22 Pro

Installed using DIM

I'll upload a log later this evening 

I

All that sounds excellent so far.

Log File Attached

txt
    txt
    2024-03-02 Error Log.txt
  • echristopherclarkechristopherclark Posts: 214
    edited March 3

I can get terrain and water, but I can't get any trees/biomes to show up. Anyone have any idea why?

They only show up when rendering, is that correct? Maybe I just figured it out.

Post edited by echristopherclark on

I can get terrain and water, but I can't get any trees/biomes to show up. Anyone have any idea why?

They only show up when rendering, is that correct? Maybe I just figured it out.

Yes.
  • Thanks! If I save a file, maybe as a Scene Subset, will the trees show up the same every time, or are they generated on the fly each time I hit render?

Thanks! If I save a file, maybe as a Scene Subset, will the trees show up the same every time, or are they generated on the fly each time I hit render?

I don't know about a scene subset, but a scene that is unmodified should render the trees in the same place. They are generated at render time, but according to specific parameters saved in the scene. They should not move unless you change something.
    creed2003 said:

Log File Attached

I'm on my phone browser now. I'll look at it for clues when I'm back at the computer.

Some time for a fun little render.

Wizard Tower 1.png
    3200 x 1200 - 6M

The mountain blew its top.

Wizard Tower_3.jpeg
    3200 x 1200 - 1M

creed2003 said:

Log File Attached

I looked at the log. I see a mention of Octane along with a system warning. The line is:

2024-03-02 17:38:44.490 [WARNING] :: QString::arg: 1 argument(s) missing in <span style=font-size:9pt>Est. Textures: %1MB, Geometry & other: %2MB, Total Available To Octane: %3MB, Total VRAM: %4MB</span>

I know that having Octane Render enabled causes problems with UltraScenery. I don't know if the same is true of  UltraSceneryXT, because I have never used Octane, but I would be suspicious of it. If you have Octane Render installed, please try disabling Octane Render, restarting Daz Studio, and trying UltraSceneryXT again.

That warning with Octane in it is followed by multiple warnings about empty paths passed to the Content Directory Manager. The first line is:

2024-03-02 17:38:44.806 [WARNING] :: \src\sdksource\general\dzcontentmgr.cpp(5456): Empty path passed to DzContentMgr::findBaseDirectory()

Since those immediately follow the warning with Octane in it, i don't know if it is related to Octane or not. I never get those warnings, though. There is not information here about WHAT is passing that empty path. If getting rid off Octane doesn't resolve this, We have to look further.

If you create UltraSceneryXT and uncheck both Water and Biome, do you get the same render problem?

Do you own UltraScenery? If so, does it render OK?

barbult said:

creed2003 said:

Log File Attached

I looked at the log. I see a mention of Octane along with a system warning. The line is:

2024-03-02 17:38:44.490 [WARNING] :: QString::arg: 1 argument(s) missing in <span style=font-size:9pt>Est. Textures: %1MB, Geometry & other: %2MB, Total Available To Octane: %3MB, Total VRAM: %4MB</span>

I know that having Octane Render enabled causes problems with UltraScenery. I don't know if the same is true of  UltraSceneryXT, because I have never used Octane, but I would be suspicious of it. If you have Octane Render installed, please try disabling Octane Render, restarting Daz Studio, and trying UltraSceneryXT again.

That warning with Octane in it is followed by multiple warnings about empty paths passed to the Content Directory Manager. The first line is:

2024-03-02 17:38:44.806 [WARNING] :: \src\sdksource\general\dzcontentmgr.cpp(5456): Empty path passed to DzContentMgr::findBaseDirectory()

Since those immediately follow the warning with Octane in it, i don't know if it is related to Octane or not. I never get those warnings, though. There is not information here about WHAT is passing that empty path. If getting rid off Octane doesn't resolve this, We have to look further.

If you create UltraSceneryXT and uncheck both Water and Biome, do you get the same render problem?

Do you own UltraScenery? If so, does it render OK?

The regular UltraScenery works fine with no issues. I've uninstalled Octane before and got the same error but I'll try it again and see what happens. With UltraScenery XT I can load a terrain in and render it with no issues. It's only when I modify the terrain that I get the render error. See attachment of "plain" terrain render from UltraScenery XT. 

UltraScenery XT Test_jpg_icon.png
    91 x 47 - 8K

It was Octane. I got past the error message the scene is now rendering so I'm assuming Octane was the issue. Shame because I like using it for some of my renders. Thanks for all your help!!! 

creed2003 said:

The regular UltraScenery works fine with no issues. I've uninstalled Octane before and got the same error but I'll try it again and see what happens. With UltraScenery XT I can load a terrain in and render it with no issues. It's only when I modify the terrain that I get the render error. See attachment of "plain" terrain render from UltraScenery XT. 

• Did you ever try a different location for your generated terrain maps? Maybe something like antivirus or ransom protection is blocking access to that location you are using.
    • If you look in the path you specified for your terrain maps, are they there and can you open the files outside of DS?
    • Did you try a modified terrain that doesn't have biome and water?
    • Do you get any errors when you are making the terrain modifications (before you try to render)?
    • Can you attach a scene file with a UltraSceneryXT scene that fails for you, so I can try to render it?
    edited March 3

Oh, we cross posted! Hurray that the problem is resolved. If you need Octane for some renders, I would suggest that you "buy for free" the Daz Studio Beta and install that with DIM. Then you could have Octane installed and enabled in the Beta and not the Release, or vice versa.I use the Beta all the time. It is reliable for me.

Post edited by barbult on
  • smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275

Hello ,

The way I use Octane with Ultrascenery : the trouble is the update of the massive instances generated by Ultrascenery in Octane format, it freeze . So my way :

- first I disable the Octane plug and restart DS4. Octane plug is generally disabled for me.

- then make my Ultrascenery scene and do test with Iray render

- Once satisfied: I save my scene , activate the Octane plug and quit

- Reopen daz, reload the scene previousy saved

- render in Octane or export for stand alone (last one for me)

The drawback are: 

- if you are not satisfied with the Ultrascenery scene , you must restart again (deactivate plug,...) 

- plenty of nodes generated in the octane scene so a little difficult to make material adjustments but with grouping it's manageable  

Here is an old render I made with Ultrascenery and Octane. I have some ideas for a new one so time to do another Ultrascenery scene :-)

creed2003 said:

It was Octane. I got past the error message the scene is now rendering so I'm assuming Octane was the issue. Shame because I like using it for some of my renders. Thanks for all your help!!! 

Forest3-Final LR.jpg
    1500 x 1050 - 818K
  • barbult said:

echristopherclark said:

Thanks! If I save a file, maybe as a Scene Subset, will the trees show up the same every time, or are they generated on the fly each time I hit render?

I don't know about a scene subset, but a scene that is unmodified should render the trees in the same place. They are generated at render time, but according to specific parameters saved in the scene. They should not move unless you change something.

Thanks for the help!

I'll keep Octane uninstalled for a bit just to make sure I'm not having any more issues. Then I'll look at installing it again. 

• I've been playing with the product a lot over the past few days and what it can do is super-impressive. That said, I'm wondering if it can do what I'm looking for, or if I need to use something else.

All I seem to be able to produce with it are big mountain ranges with very few bits of level terrain. Is that all it's meant for, or could I use it to create a full-on landscape with a valley, a major river running through it (as opposed to the streams I can get out of the non-XT UltraScenery), and so on? If so, how do you do that? I can't figure it out.