Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...yeah was in a bit of a "fog" with both my my sinuses and allergies acting up the last couple days. 

You are also so right about geese. Here in Portland we have a park that is affectionately referred to as the "grass bowl" along the river front that slopes down to the river bank and it is often like a "poop minefield". 

As to starting things I'll leave with this:

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited July 2022

Bummer... 

I went over to Nassau county to a huge mall that was once the biggest on Long Island... the massapequa mall was the first two story mall on LI and once the most modern and posh... despite slowly in recent years losing store after store it still looked semi alive... I go there occasionally looking for things I can't find in other malls and last autumn was the last time I went there... apparently in February the landlord decided they are closing it down and letting all leases expire...

I went there today to check it out... 

There were three stores still open, and two had signs saying today was their last day... Otherwise it was a creepy empty space with the only life coming from a Kay Jewelers and a Children's Place being stripped out... I did score some cool fixture swag for free from the guys at the jewelry store, but I was limited to what I could stuff in my wife's SUV... Too bad I didn't bring my van, there were some great stainless steel racks made of square tube steel, which I could have really used... I'm an unrepentant recycler of other peoples discarded raw materials and it kills me to see stuff go to waste... especially perfectly good child sized mannequins... unfortunately they were the soft fabric poseable kind that are only really good for making nightmarish little Halloween zombies from, which would only get waterlogged in the rain... as opposed to the hard plastic minimalist adult male mannequins, which are perfect for reconfiguring into killer humanoid droids.

But regardless of all that it was a real shame to see such a once vibrant and lively shopping area devoid of life and all the jobs it once provided gone... granted they were mostly boring crappy jobs, but at least people got to use real bathrooms instead of having to use Gatorade bottles so some Lex Luthor clone can play Buck Rodgers.

Like I said before... It was super depressing to see.

Edited to add- I didn't name anyone in particular, so that previous statement didn't violate any rules... for all anyone knows I could be referring to the owner of a random soft drink company who was cloned from Lex Luthor's armpit scabs and has some weird Buck Rodgers fetish... and as far as the peeing in bottles is concerned, does anyone really know what the main ingredient in all those new energy drinks is?...
    Basically you could really whitewash pee as "water, minerals, sodium, potassium, inorganic salts, natural color and glucose" on the ingredients list... so that could be what I was referring to. You never know.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,729

I think I want to go to bed soon.  Wait I am in bed, so I hope to go to sleep soon?

McGyver said:

Bummer... 

I went over to Nassau county to a huge mall that was once the biggest on Long Island... the massapequa mall was the first two story mall on LI and once the most modern and posh... despite slowly in recent years losing store after store it still looked semi alive... I go there occasionally looking for things I can't find in other malls and last autumn was the last time I went there... apparently in February the landlord decided they are closing it down and letting all leases expire...

I went there today to check it out... 

There were three stores still open, and two had signs saying today was their last day... Otherwise it was a creepy empty space with the only life coming from a Kay Jewelers and a Children's Place being stripped out... I did score some cool fixture swag for free from the guys at the jewelry store, but I was limited to what I could stuff in my wife's SUV... Too bad I didn't bring my van, there were some great stainless steel racks made of square tube steel, which I could have really used... I'm an unrepentant recycler of other peoples discarded raw materials and it kills me to see stuff go to waste... especially perfectly good child sized mannequins... unfortunately they were the soft fabric poseable kind that are only really good for making nightmarish little Halloween zombies from, which would only get waterlogged in the rain... as opposed to the hard plastic minimalist adult male mannequins, which are perfect for reconfiguring into killer humanoid droids.

But regardless of all that it was a real shame to see such a once vibrant and lively shopping area devoid of life and all the jobs it once provided gone... granted they were mostly boring crappy jobs, but at least people got to use real bathrooms instead of having to use Gatorade bottles so some Lex Luthor clone can play Buck Rodgers.

Like I said before... It was super depressing to see.

Edited to add- I didn't name anyone in particular, so that previous statement didn't violate any rules... for all anyone knows I could be referring to the owner of a random soft drink company who was cloned from Lex Luthor's armpit scabs and has some weird Buck Rodgers fetish... and as far as the peeing in bottles is concerned, does anyone really know what the main ingredient in all those new energy drinks is?...
    Basically you could really whitewash pee as "water, minerals, sodium, potassium, inorganic salts, natural color and glucose" on the ingredients list... so that could be what I was referring to. You never know.

...well some of those energy drinks are almost the same colour as pee.

Milwaukee WI where I grew up, had two large malls in the 1970s, one on the southwest side named Southridge, and one on the northwest side appropriately named Northridge. they were sort of "sister" malls though Northridge was a bit larger and slightly fancier.  Southridge, which is still in operation, is the older "sibling" which was completed in 1970 and located in the suburb of Greendale,  Two years later Northridge opened its doors in the suburb of Brown Deer.. Both were also on the same major road, 76th Ave. that ran south to north along the west side of the city.  

Living on the southeast side of the city I tended to be a denizen of Southridge during  my high school years.   After Northridge opened I did visit it on occasion even given the long transit trip (literally across the entire metro area), but Southridge was definitely more my "turf" as it took far less time to get there.

With the area's economy taking a huge hit after much of the  heavy industry went under or moved out during "rust belt" implosion, the area just couldn't support two such large shopping centres. While Southridge survived and, patronage at Northridge never really quite received the same reception and as the years went on patronage declined. The mall finally closed in 2003 and has been sitting vacant ever since ravaged by vandals and the weather.  There was talk of revitalisation but as the metro region continued to be economically depressed with a high poverty rate, those plans never came to fruition.

The structure had been slated for demolition on several occasions (the most recent just last year) but local issues with the property owner kept putting that on hold.  

Here's a few views at the former Northridge mall, before:

...and after (yes, that is snow on the escalators in the second photo).

Interestingly the area's first ever "modern" indoor mall in the area, Brookfield Square (which opened to much fanfare in 1967), and is located  just outside Milwaukee County to the west, is still open despite competiton from the two larger Milwaukee malls .over the years.  I remember taking trips out there which had to be made on a regional intercity bus line as the ctiy's transit system (which was still privately owned at the time) was limited to just service within the county.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,020

kyoto kid said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Sfariah said:

I slept in today.  I need to get the day going now.

No worries, I woke up and found the day going already.  Didn't need your help at all.indecision 

...fumbled around this morning looking for the ignition  key don't remember where I left it so went back to bed.  Glad someone else got it started. 

Hate having to push start days at my age.

Well I...
    "Woke up, fell out of bed
    Dragged a comb across my head
    Found my way downstairs and drank a cup
    And looking up, I noticed I was late
    Found my coat and grabbed my hat
    Made the bus in seconds flat
    Found my way upstairs and had a smoke
    And somebody spoke and I went into a dream..."

Things are a little hazy after that.

...great song, one of my favourites. Still have the original album.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,020

kyoto kid said:

...great song, one of my favourites. Still have the original album.

smileyyes

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited July 2022

Some ex-friend stole my St. Sgt. Pepper's album many decades ago.cryingangry

(Edited to replace the 'g' that evaporated due to quantum fluctuations in something or other.  Roman gods not withstanding.)

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Saint Pepper? Oh, yup... I forgot, he's the patron saint of jalapeño who was fire roasted and made into a salsa by the Romans for his refusal to worship Jupiter and Tatooine.

edited July 2022

McGyver said:

Saint Pepper? Oh, yup... I forgot, he's the patron saint of jalapeño who was fire roasted and made into a salsa by the Romans for his refusal to worship Jupiter and Tatooine.

Gee, I lost a 'g'.  I guess my spull chucker isn't familar with ancient music titles.frown 

Now you know why my posts always show frequent edits.blush

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,416
    edited July 2022

LeatherGryphon said:

McGyver said:

Gee, I lost a 'g'.  I guess my spull chucker isn't familar with ancient music titles.frown 

Now you know why my posts always show frequent edits.blush

I usually have everal edit caue of mispelling words. I post my comment, reread it, "oops" go back into it and fix it then hit post comment again. Again, reread it to be sure its corrected and "oops" found another. At thi point it's called insanity instead of jusst hitting that spellcheck button.

Post edited by frank0314 on

I am tired.  I have stuff to do yet I'm tired.

edited July 2022

...bugger didn't get home in time before the Daz+ sale so had to dump the cart as I wasn't about to spend over 130$.

The real bummer, instead of an Independence Day weekend sale as many expected, just a normal useless one again that is all 8.1 based.

Expected this to go at least into the first week of July as it started a week into June. 

Hate living an hour behind Utah.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,877
    edited July 2022

complaint 

cancelled paypal order and emptied cat

AUD=0.64USD crying

order was 70% off too

nobody here at fault but the world

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

complaint 

AUD=0.64USD crying

order was 70% off too

How do you empty a cat?  I thought cats use the litter box without any help.  Unless you mean the other way?  I don't think anyone wants their cat to vomit.

Oh!  If you used laxatives, I hope you were following your vet's instructions? 

edited July 2022

My mum's cats have been vomiting all over her house, but mum isn't happy about that!

Post edited by Sfariah D on
    edited July 2022

I want bananas!

Post edited by Sfariah D on

Sfariah said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

complaint 

AUD=0.64USD crying

order was 70% off too

How do you empty a cat?  [snip]

Probably not many ways that the cat would approve of.indecision 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,877

blushcart

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,346

Complaint: Out of nowhere tropical storm Colin is coming and we are under a tropical storm warning this weekend.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

I boiled your missive down to this single gem and wanted to add my own wisdom: 

McGyver said:

If you've eaten at Denny's ...

...you SHOULD have chosen Perkin's instead! 

Because at Perkins, they know the difference between cooking an egg "over easy", "over medium", and "over well".  Denny's cooks it the way they think you should be having your eggs that day.  Scrambled, usually.  Which is good, but not "over medium" if that's what you had your heart set on that morning.  Or afternoon; wouldn't want to be timeist about breakfast!

Oh, and Perkin's has waffles AND French toast, and they let you choose between the two, or just have both!  Perkins also bakes real pies, with real fruit and not with some mysterious "fruit paste" that would be better for greasing the fittings of your 67 Chevy! 

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...God bless America!  laugh

McGyver said:

kyoto kid said:

...fumbled around this morning looking for the ignition  key don't remember where I left it so went back to bed.  Glad someone else got it started. 

Hate having to push start days at my age.

That confused me... I distinctly remember you saying you didn't have a car anymore, so I was like "oh crap, KK is hallucinating just like me now..."

Its a slippery slope.

No really, it's mostly because of all the goose poop on the damp moss... 

Seriously, these things are industrial poop machines.

#325 on the list of things you'll thank me for:  If you are approaching a flock of geese of the type you've pictured above, and they all decide to take flight, DO NOT PASS BENEATH THE FLOCK ON THE WING.

Lest you be caught in a downpour of said industrial poop.  Seriously, when they take off, their bodies automatically open the bomb bay doors and release whatever's in there.  Usually it's the size of a golf ball or a chicken's egg, so you WILL need a change of clothing!  And it sounds like rain!  Really, it rains poop.  And these types of Canadian geese like to hang in groups of 20, 30, or more.

So Run, Forrest, Run!  Or put up an umbrella very quickly! 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

blushcart

OMG, emptying cats.  For so many caturday celebrations as this forum has (not from me, mind you!), you'd think people would know that cats are self-emptying!  Hehehe, this forum is bonkers!  cheeky 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092

Charlie Judge said:

Complaint: Out of nowhere tropical storm Colin is coming and we are under a tropical storm warning this weekend.

Oh!  Stay safe!

Dana 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

blushcart

Glad you aren't feeding laxatives to your cats! 

I am trying to figure out how to uninstall one drive from my computer.  Not sure if it is working or not.

edited July 2022

Subtropic Pixel said:

#325 on the list of things you'll thank me for:  If you are approaching a flock of geese of the type you've pictured above, and they all decide to take flight, DO NOT PASS BENEATH THE FLOCK ON THE WING. 
    Lest you be caught in a downpour of said industrial poop.  Seriously, when they take off, their bodies automatically open the bomb bay doors and release whatever's in there.  Usually it's the size of a golf ball or a chicken's egg, so you WILL need a change of clothing!  And it sounds like rain!  Really, it rains poop.  And these types of Canadian geese like to hang in groups of 20, 30, or more.So Run, Forrest, Run!  Or put up an umbrella very quickly! 

Very true, I've seen them relieve themselves of unnecessary cargo plenty of times... worse offenders appear to be Geat Blue Herons, who seem to almost always do this when taking flight... and it's no tiny pigeon plop either... it appears to be about two or three chicken eggs worth of substance.

Don't get me started on the seagulls which are everywhere... pesky sea-sky rats who drag food out of dumpsters and garbage cans and litter parks and parking lots with shredded bags and containers that they fight over.

There are a couple of parking lots that have lamp posts that you'd never want to park your convertible under... by the way you have a convertible now... it'll arrive Tuesday... look for a big envelope marked "Imaginary Car- Do Not Fold"

A bunch of years ago my friend and me were eating lunch on the front deck of a boat we rented and he complained the sandwich he was eating didn't have any mayonnaise... a second later a seagull delivered a huge dollop of it onto the windshield next him.

Which led me to campaign Kraft to adopt a cartoon seagull as their mascot... of course they just filed the standard restraining orders they always do, but my cartoon mascot Stanley The Surly Seagull would have been a great spokesperson for their mayonnaise... if you could get past the fact that he pooped out mayonnaise onto the sandwiches of campers, picnickers and people on the go who were lamenting a lack of the delicious condiment, he was the perfect quirky spokesbird to promote their product.

They really missed a great opportunity in my opinion.

Post edited by McGyver on

Sfariah said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

blushcart

Glad you aren't feeding laxatives to your cats! 

That would be one way to empty them.  surprise

Someday, I'm going to buy a farm and put the word out to all cats that they can come live around my barn for free.  My promise to them is that I would NOT pet them, I would NOT insult them by trying to talk to them in human baby-talk (because really, that's what dogs are for!), and I would not keep them indoors; not even inside the barn!  In return, they can eat all the rats, mice, moles, squirrels, snakes, and rabbits they can get their claws into.  Just leave my egrets, herons, cormorants, and bald eagles alone! 

McGyver said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

Lest you be caught in a downpour of said industrial poop.  Seriously, when they take off, their bodies automatically open the bomb bay doors and release whatever's in there.  Usually it's the size of a golf ball or a chicken's egg, so you WILL need a change of clothing!  And it sounds like rain!  Really, it rains poop.  And these types of Canadian geese like to hang in groups of 20, 30, or more.So Run, Forrest, Run!  Or put up an umbrella very quickly! 

Very true, I've seen them relieve themselves of unnecessary cargo plenty of times... worse offenders appear to be Geat Blue Herons, who seem to almost always do this when taking flight... and it's no tiny pigeon plop either... it appears to be about two or three chicken eggs worth of substance.

I once had a heron perched every morning on my pool screen, right at the very peak of it where he would have a command view of the lake to his left and to his front-right.  He would roost there every morning and poop right down into my pool area.  Mostly he didn't hit the pool water, but the white streaks and messes were beginning to build up on the far side of my pool, right in plain view of the house!

I put in bird spikes at the top of the pool screen.  These are strips of plastic spikes rising 2" or so off of the aluminum frame.  Funny thing, the screen webbing is strong enough to support a full-grown man's weight, but the birds will only land and walk on the aluminum framework.  So It was good enough to install the strips along the horizontal beams at the top of the screen frame.  No more roosting herons!

There are a couple of parking lots that have lamp posts that you'd never want to park your convertible under... by the way you have a convertible now... it'll arrive Tuesday... look for a big envelope marked "Imaginary Car- Do Not Fold"

Thanks, I'll be careful not to fold.  Or spindle, bend, or twist.

A bunch of years ago my friend and me were eating lunch on the front deck of a boat we rented and he complained the sandwich he was eating didn't have any mayonnaise... a second later a seagull delivered a huge dollop of it onto the windshield next him.

I met a date once over the river in Kentucky (I lived in Indiana at the time).  Had the convertible top down with her in the passenger seat, when a bird (don't know what kind it was) released a massive white-colored blob that hit the hood of my car so hard, it actually SPLASHED!  Ewwww, yuck!

Luckily for my date and I, the windshield of my Miata stopped any splash from hitting either of us.  But oh man, if I had been driving just a little bit faster, one or both of us would have been embarrased beyond belief.  As it turns out, we had a wonderful lunch, counting ourselves as very very lucky that day!

Which led me to campaign Kraft to adopt a cartoon seagull as their mascot... of course they just filed the standard restraining orders they always do, but my cartoon mascot Stanley The Surly Seagull would have been a great spokesperson for their mayonnaise... if you could get past the fact that he pooped out mayonnaise onto the sandwiches of campers, picnickers and people on the go who were lamenting a lack of the delicious condiment, he was the perfect quirky spokesbird to promote their product.

They really missed a great opportunity in my opinion.

They were probably scared of offending the Flat Stanley crowd.  Those people are almost as rough as the old New York mobsters were, until the Curious George people took out the mob in the 80s.  Maybe call him Sam or Stan instead?  I think you should definitely storyboard his backstory, including his super powers.  And do it with artwork done with DAZ tools.  Maybe DAZ will want to hire you for your dramatic storytelling!

I am tired but I don't want to take another nap.

This discussion has been closed.