Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited June 2022

...ah, think I've figured out why some of the individual sales during the Plat-...err...Daz+ Semi-Annual Sale seem so meagre.  Just scrolled through a few carousels on the main sale page and I noticed a lot of those little !cloud icons" which signify I already have the item.  More than half of this week's BYOB selection I already own.  Similar for the Daz+ For A Day sale.

You know you've been here too long when that happens.

Thursday's theme of "Whimsy" was a bit of a disappointment as a number of the sales primarily featured horror related content.  I take the term to be more humorous, quaint, and light spirited not dark and sinister.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

LeatherGryphon said:

McGyver said:

TJohn said:

It's an inverse correlation though, not a direct one; i.e. the smaller the brain, the greater the pain.

P.S. Hope you feel better soonest.

Thank you, I do now... I guess the loose bits went back in place.

I take it you survived?  yes  Any idea of the cause?  Paint fumes, tight hats, one of the bug things from Ceti Alpha V that burrow into your ear?

The bug thing died of food poisoning... it's probably not any of the paint fumes and I don't really wear hats... unless a horned ("Viking") helmet counts... 

It's probably any one of several neck injuries... I'm a walking collection of scars and broken parts... you know that old saying "Live Dumb, Die Hard"? Or was that the title of Die Hard 6?... but either way, I had an "active" youth and not so youthfulness too... now all those past incidents are starting to become a little problematic as time goes by...

From here on, the rest of this is written today, June 24... apparently after I wrote the previous reply above, I didn't hit post or finish... and even more shocking, apparently the forum server hamster didn't drop dead again and what I wrote was still there when I just looked at my iPad... which hasn't happened in a long time.

But anyway... Yeah, apparently I'm better now... or at least it's not bothering me for the time being.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703

Somehow Look at my hair and the look at my hair free player are both installed at the same time.  Does Look at my hair work with iray?

• Sfariah said:

Somehow Look at my hair and the look at my hair free player are both installed at the same time.  Does Look at my hair work with iray?

Without Catalyzer (and a Catalyzer version of the hair) you need to export as OBJ.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,159

Good to know that the restrooms are working. 

64C2E0F4-356B-4A2F-8807-23F2F0022EC2.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 1M
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

Gordig said:

laugh   laugh  laugh  

Dana

edited June 2022

There is no creamer in my coffee!

and there is no room in the cup for some!

Post edited by Sfariah D on
  • beregarberegar Posts: 268

Are we allowed to complain about Daz stuff here because I want to but I'm unclear of the complain thread etiquette?

I'm going to complain anyway because I've been tracking flash sales and they always happen between midnight and 7 am EET. On some mornings there's a sale still going around 7 am but that won't help since I've to rush to work - unless they happen during weekends. Why can't they ever run the "#&¤¤%&% sales during MDT mornings or even starting around noon. I mean it's 3 pm here now and that's apparently 6 am MDT. I could easily participate into a flash sale that starts like 3 or even 6 hours from now which would be 6 pm or 9 pm my time - and one or two hours less for the rest of the Europe.

Heck start even at 1 pm MDT and it would be still only 10 pm my time... but nooo, they have to run during MDT evenings...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

beregar said:

Are we allowed to complain about Daz stuff here because I want to but I'm unclear of the complain thread etiquette?

I'm going to complain anyway because I've been tracking flash sales and they always happen between midnight and 7 am EET. On some mornings there's a sale still going around 7 am but that won't help since I've to rush to work - unless they happen during weekends. Why can't they ever run the "#&¤¤%&% sales during MDT mornings or even starting around noon. I mean it's 3 pm here now and that's apparently 6 am MDT. I could easily participate into a flash sale that starts like 3 or even 6 hours from now which would be 6 pm or 9 pm my time - and one or two hours less for the rest of the Europe.

Heck start even at 1 pm MDT and it would be still only 10 pm my time... but nooo, they have to run during MDT evenings...

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/545436/flash-sales-as-long-as-you-don-t-live-in-europe 

...I've seen a few flash sales now and then that ended at 10:00 13:00 and 15:00 MDT here. I have to keep subtracting an hour as I'm on the coast (PDT).

In other news:

High today is supposed to reach 93° (tomorrow 99°).  The record for the day (and at for one day the all time record) was set last year at 108° which was the start of that extreme 3 day heat wave where we finally topped out on the following Monday at a blistering 116°.  That pretty much cured me of ever thinking about moving to the desert southwest for my sunus and arhthritis issues.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,473

We hit 30C (86F) today and I had to turn on the industrial ventilator to keep it down to 25C (77F) inside, drawing air in from the colder side of the house.

kyoto kid said:

...I've seen a few flash sales now and then that ended at 10:00 13:00 and 15:00 MDT here. I have to keep subtracting an hour as I'm on the coast (PDT).

In other news:

High today is supposed to reach 93° (tomorrow 99°).  The record for the day (and at for one day the all time record) was set last year at 108° which was the start of that extreme 3 day heat wave where we finally topped out on the following Monday at a blistering 116°.  That pretty much cured me of ever thinking about moving to the desert southwest for my sunus and arhthritis issues.

Isn't it humid up there?  That makes a big difference.  I didn't know how much of a difference until I went to TwentyNine Palms in California, Oct 28 - Nov 3, it was 85F every day. I was in a cinderblock "homesteader's cabin" that was my dad's place, working on clearing it out .  Didn't feel bad at all.  I was moving furniture and carrying things around.  No windows open, no "swamp cooler" running.  If I were doing that here under the same conditions, I'd have been about to drop dead.  But I was fine.  The dry desert air really does make a big difference. 

Dana

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,473

DanaTA said:

kyoto kid said:

In other news:

Isn't it humid up there?  That makes a big difference.  I didn't know how much of a difference until I went to TwentyNine Palms in California, Oct 28 - Nov 3, it was 85F every day. I was in a cinderblock "homesteader's cabin" that was my dad's place, working on clearing it out .  Didn't feel bad at all.  I was moving furniture and carrying things around.  No windows open, no "swamp cooler" running.  If I were doing that here under the same conditions, I'd have been about to drop dead.  But I was fine.  The dry desert air really does make a big difference. 

Dana

I spent one christmas in Zambia, 40C (104F) in the shade and the 30C (86F) here at home (coastal area) feels a lot worse due to the humidity.

edited June 2022

DanaTA said:

kyoto kid said:

In other news:

Dana

...it's not as humid as Wsiconsin (or particularly, New Orrlans where I also lived for a while) but also not quite as dry as the Desert SW which ratings usually bel;ow 40% during summer (unless it recently rained) .  Today reached 93° but with 20% humidity actually not bad. The "real feel" (heat index) is listed as 90° but actually feels more like the mid - upper 80s.  There was also a nice breeze all day.

Got back to my apartment about a half hour ago and it didnt' feel like an "Easy Bake Oven™" inside. Installed the window fans as depnding on the weather service it will be 99³ to 100° tomorrow, still much lese extreme than last year at this time. 

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

well.. it got up to 20C (68F) here today with 35% humidity - lovely and  sunny, light breeze.. great day for a walk by the river..

edited June 2022

...much better than the 36.3 where you are last year or the 49.6 in Lytton BC.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited June 2022

Non-complaint:  Wheee... I lost 3 pounds overnight!yes  yesterday I was 189, and this morning I'm 186.  I've been actively trying to lose weight (helps my heart and diabetic issues).  I keep a daily record of my morning weight (naked and empty)   My daily measurements typically vary as much as one pound up & down.  So, a 3-pound drop is noteworthy.surprise  I'm down to reliably below 190 pounds for the last couple of weeks.    Down from 250 a little over a year ago, and heading toward my doctor's recommended "under 180".  Twenty years ago at the tender age of 53 I was an active, muscular 220 at 5'10" tall, then I got old and lazy and inflated.  But recently, I've lost enough to be classed as just overweight, not obese.  Yay!smiley

Complaint:  Most of last night's 3 pound loss was liquid loss caused by yet another round of fever and chills.  Same deal as last time, a few weeks ago.  A day or so of feeling blah, then a day of fever forcing bedtime to be 7:00 PM, sweat soaked sheets, a very long night of peeing, and a long series of one-hour restless naps.  After twelve hours in the sack I feel much better, but again I'm going to take it easy (that's my whole life now, taking it easy) and stay isolated (again, my normal state) for another couple weeks.indecision 

'Nother Complaint:  I don't have many clothes that fit me anymore without wrapping them into folds.  Y'know that something changed when you have to buy a new belt to keep the hole end from wrapping around your back.surprise  Gotta go clothes shopping again.  I hate shopping for clothes,frown but it's not as bad as when my mother would accompany me and pick them out for me.angry

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

That's for sure!

kyoto kid said:

...much better than the 36.3 where you are last year or the 49.6 in Lytton BC.

I decided I hate the Edge browser for one reason.  It shows different tab groups when I do the alt tab thing.  That confuses me.  Chrome doesn't do that.

Sfariah said:

I decided I hate the Edge browser for one reason.  It shows different tab groups when I do the alt tab thing.  That confuses me.  Chrome doesn't do that.

You can turn off that feature if you want, and you like the Edge browser.

Dana 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited June 2022

Non-complaint:  Movie review.  I was browsing YouTube this morning and ran across the full 2 hour movie Waterloo.  Depicting the 1815 Battle Of Waterloo where Wellington defeated Napolean*.  I watched it all the way through in one sitting so that itself says something about my perception of its quality.  Major actors of the time (1970) Rod Steiger as Napoleon, and Christopher Plummer as Wellington.  This was the '70s, so no computer generated fakery or flying drone shots.  Huge numbers of real men, real horses, real armies.  And even piles of fake (I assume) dead bodies.indecision 

I'm not sure how I missed this movie at the time.  Although, probably because in 1970 I was deep into my hippie period.surprise  So, being broke and without wheels, I didn't go to a lot of movies.  And besides, being my hippie period, there's a lot of the '70s that I don't remember but I know would be interesting(I'm pretty sure that there's a book in my head if I could just shake it loose).devil

I'm not particularly interested in Napoleon himself or French or English history, but I am somewhat keen about Russian history before 1917.smiley  Three years earlier, Napoleon had also been engaged with the Russians at a huge battle at Borodino (79 miles west of Moscow) in 1812** and I've read several accounts of that battle.  I've also seen an excellent movie about the Battle of Borodino with similarly large, unfake men, armies, and horses, smoke & fire, overhead flying filming, period accurate costumes and piles of assumedly fake bodies.  The 1965 Russian movie was a mind-numbing 7.5 hour production of War and Peace (in Russian with English subtitles).  Meh, most of the movie was OK, but it was the war scenes that were really well done.yes

So, why am I comparing those two movies?  Because I noticed a similarity in the filming of the battle scenes.surprise  Because for the Russian version of War and Peace in 1965 they used the Russian army for the battle scenes.  And at the end of the 1970 movie Waterloo the credits also indicated Russian army participation.  I guess they had a few thousand of the same guys in the Russian army that still remembered how to carry and fire muskettes & cannons, and play dead.indecision

*Actually(according to the movie), it was Blucher's Prussian army that came through the woods behind Wellington and joined him at the last minute.  That reinforcement surprised and routed the French.

**Yes, that 1812 of "1812 Overture" fame by Russian composer Tchaikovsky (Чайко́вский) Pronounced just like it's spelled, in both languages.devil  That's why the cannons in the 1812 overture are so meaningful.yes

War and Peace: 1965  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063794/ There is a full version on YouTube, but it's low quality.  But one of my favorite quotes from War and Peace is "Since corrupt people unite amongst themselves to constitute a force, honest people must do the same."

Waterloo: 1970 Good clip of the Battle of Waterloo at 1:29:00

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

DanaTA said:

Sfariah said:

Dana 

Trying to figure that out now. 

Sfariah said:

DanaTA said:

Sfariah said:

Dana 

Trying to figure that out now. 

Dana 

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

Richard Haseltine said:

Sfariah said:

I wonder if I can afford going to the hair salon?

Probably, if you can convince them you are male - unles the US actually charges men and women the same for haircuts.

I wonder if that's the key to financial success...just shave it all off!

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

So I finally decided to spend some dosh for a couple of big new hard drives for backups.  I already have 4 8TB drives that get rotated around two different Windows computers, and some 4TB drives that are big enough for backing up things like the OS, Apps, and My Documents, but not big enough to back up my VST libraries. 

But now with the addition of my M1 MacBook Pro, I needed to figure out something different.

I decided to buy two refurbished 18TB drives and a bunch of external drive enclosures.  The idea is to start with these first two 18TB drives, but to add more every month or two.  I partitioned the new ones into 12TB and 4TB (yeah, that's not 18TB, but it is what it is), with the 12TB partitions to be used by Macrium:Reflect to back up my Windows machines, and the 4 TB partitions to be used to back up my new Mac.  For now, this will allow me to roll the Mac backups onto the same physical drives as the Windows backups, and so will not require all my other infrastructure to expand as yet.  You know, things like my flight case for carrying two (not three) external drive enclosures, little stuff like that that I don't want to spend more money on just yet.

But I will be building a new Windows 11 machine this summer and maybe a Linux machine during the winter months, so that plan may go out the window in favor of a complete rethink.  When that time comes, I think ultimately I might need to buy another Synology NAS and build a centralized place for my backups, and keep local backup disks only for offsite storage.

But for now, it works fine and I've scratched that itch of nervousness that comes with one or more of my machines NOT being backed up via automation anytime it is plugged in.

By the way, I have a power tip for those who want to/need to combine Mac and Windows partitions on the same physical disk when the Windows NTFS partitions have already been created.  Here goes.  This works for GPT disks.  I have no idea how to do it with MBR disks, but pretty much every new machine is probably using GPT now anyhow.  MBR disks are fading fast and won't work anyway with the huge partition sizes that I use for my backup drives.  The big difference is that MBR drives can only support up to 4 primary partitions, and if you want more partitions, you need to make one or more of them reside inside of "logical" partitions; kind of like using the logical partition as a container of sorts.  GPT does away with all that obsolete thinking, and makes all partitions primary partitions, and all can be bootable if that's what you need.

1.  Clear some space on the HDD.  I like Acronis Disk Director, which runs on Windows, for this process.  Shrink your NTFS partition leaving the requisite space as "uninitialized" space.

2.  Your Mac can't recognize or use "uninitialized" disk space unless it's the whole drive.  But you can fix that very easily with Disk Director.  "Create a volume" on that uninitialized space.  File system type should be "none".  MacOS just needs to see a volume so he can erase it and initialize it as an APFS (Apple File System) type.

3.  Disconnect the drive from Windows and connect it to your Mac.  Use the Disk Utility on the Mac to format that "uninitialized volume" that you created on Windows.  I don't plan to use encryption at the File System level yet on my Mac, so I just chose APFS (Case Sensitive) for mine.  Name the disk "Time Machine Backups" or "Mac Data", or whatever.

4.  Now you can aim Time Machine (or whatever) to your new external disk.  And that APFS partition can now live on a physical drive that has Windows or Linux files on other partitions.  Just don't be mixing/matching between different OS types, or you'll bugger it up for sure.

So far so good!

I think the oven is ready for my pizza, but that means getting up from this chair to go put it in.

I had a busy day today looking for jobs.

• UHFUHF Posts: 512

Gordig said:

Be that as it may... I'd still avoid the Incontinental Breakfast.

Wow it is after 9pm now.

...no using the oven here as we've been in one for thee days.  yesterday it reached the forecast of 99° and today 95°.  What made it worse was sinus issues due to the unusually dry conditions more appropriate for the Desert Southwest than the northern Willamette valley with humidity readings hovering around 20% or below.  That will all change by tomorrow as the high will be 20° cooler than today and humidity more around normal for here (low 40s).  For the next two weeks more normal summertime temperatures in the upper 70s to low 80s. 

I wish the windows app store had top x free apps instead of just top x paid apps. 

This discussion has been closed.