Show Daz that Carrara users are a market worth supporting! How many Product Pages do you have?

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Joe, this is 100% wrong.  Everyone who posted data was logged in under thier account. Each account is tied directly to the users purchase history. I could write an SQL query in 3 minutes that would break down the totals of these users by year, month, purchase frequency, average revenue my time period and a bunch of other juicy statistics. In fact they could do the same for all the users who have posted in the Carrara forum. They have the data.

I see what you're saying. IF they go into this forum and sort thru each post where someone reported their numbers, and backtrack to that user's account data, then they would be able to extract any info they need. Good point.

Personally I'd be surprised if they go to that effort, but you raise a good point. Thanks for the enlightenment.

That's pretty close but it would be way easier than that.  It would look something like this (very simplified database query):

SELECT userID from FORUMS WHERE discussion_thread = 58113 
    JOIN with ORDERS
    WHERE ORDER.userID = FORUM.userID

This would list every order ever placed by everyone who has posted in this thread. All of those orders will have an order date and order total which can be grouped, summed, sorted, sliced and diced every which way you can imagine.  Most big companies do this kind of analysis but to your point, they'll only look for the data they're interested in looking at.

I love it when people who know what they are taking about, talk about it ! , ! 

Philemo said:

Something I remember from my days in bachelor in Marketing:

Usually, the cost of acquiring a new customer is Pi squared the cost of keeping an existing one.

(the Pi squared is just there to make it sound more scientific wink can be aproximated by a 10 to 1 ratio laugh)

We often see that basic overlooked.

I thought it was only 9.9 to 1 . How times change ! 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

And like everything else in life, the data will be imperfect.  Renpatsu posted in this forum thread, and a couple of other folks as well, to report that they prefer studio but do own Carrara.  So a simple query that matched anyone who posted in the thread would mismatch their purchases to Carrara instead of studio.  It is OK for data to be imperfect, because there is extremely rarely any other kind.  In the next iteration, the query can be slightly more complicated.  Just keep making marginal improvements to the queries until it is not worth the extra cost to do more. 

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615

That's pretty close but it would be way easier than that.  It would look something like this (very simplified database query):

DOH !!! I'm right, I am thick as a brick. I guess it should be obvious that the forum software and the orders/account stuff is the same database, therefore activity here is tied to activity there and everywhere. 

So I'm wondering if my supposition that each time you fire up Carrara it also calls home with an account/serial number and that gets integrated in the database. Like I say, I'm certain some software does that, and the amount of data required for just usage tracking is miniscule (a few bytes here and there). And I know that Carrara at least has the option to check for news and updates, so I assume the mechanism is there. And I did see some postgres activity after firing up Carrara, but I have no clue if that's for Carrara or some other software. 

Thanks for the insight. Good stuff.

BTW, I wonder if that's a question we can raise to DAZ, just out of curiosity. I know many software companies are fairly open about what data is collected, and in this case I think it's pretty benign to collect usage data. I'm sure others would be interested to hear if that kind of data is collected. Or maybe I'm out of touch and it's already addressed in a FAQ or agreement somewhere.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I am not renewing my PC club iether when it comes due next week.

Is Genocide a gaming thing?

All too often!

But in this case it is the new DAZ figure for which everybody wants Cowrarra compatibility.

I checked the DAZ store and can't find a "genocide". Can someone clue me in on what it is? 

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited July 2015

down and down we go

pop another Beer

Post edited by bigh on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Genicide I believe is the nick name for Genisis.

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    diomede said:

RE: use of the term "bean counter."  Sorry, Kakman.  No offense intended. 

Diomede:

No offense taken at all!  I was attempting to bring a little levity to my post.

To paraphrase G. K. Chesterton:

Angels fly because they take themselves lightly.

user on rendo

34 pages

Carrara

Yes, (edit I snipped here because of comments about DAZ ) ...... after I can actually use Genesis, G2F/M content properly; or at all.

my snipps

to be 'fair', another rendo member

My answers.

Carrara 8 Pro

No

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited July 2015
    head wax said:

user on rendo

34 pages

Carrara

Yes, (edit I snipped here because of comments about DAZ ) ...... after I can actually use Genesis, G2F/M content properly; or at all.

my snipps

Gee, I wonder who that could be... ;-P

Post edited by evilproducer on

ha ha yes ;) if you read the rest of the comment (not directed at Daz but a Pa who defends dz without bothering to think about the situation) you will crack up

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

I'm always getting a chuckle from the CarrarVerse... laugh

Stezza said:

Yes, storm in a tea cup when compared with world peace - or state of origin ;)

head wax said:
    Stezza said:

Yes, storm in a tea cup when compared with world peace - or state of origin ;)

We say, "tempest in a teapot," in America, so you know it's right, or we'll invade your arse!

And evolution is just an opinion, just like climate change and a round earth! The Donald's rug told me that!

Don't worry we have Darwinist's here - we tie them to kangarroos and let them be dragged into man eating nests of wild echidnas ;)

head wax said:

Don't worry we have Darwinist's here - we tie them to kangarroos and let them be dragged into man eating nests of wild echidnas ;)

Is that what the Donald's rug is?!?

I hope Diomede starts his 5 favourite non carrara content list thread soon - with a separate section for carrara content ;)

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited July 2015
    head wax said:

yes, it's scary the amount of money most of us have spent, I keep my credit card statements away from my wife - well I used to anyways, when I spent up big with daz

LOL... The powerful seduction of Daz3D content store window display... 

Jonstark said: $5000+ over 3 years...

Few months back I tellied my last few years spending for desktop CG production, content + software + add-ons alone. Mostly Daz3D and Reallusion. Came to about that amount too. That's when I seriously considered going Cinema4D. Still, I decided to go with Carrara-Genesis pipeline...to justify my content + mental energy spending on Genesis, and also because Carrara's relative unclutteredness.

(ironically it was Carrara's relatively under-developed "not yet a bloat ware" state that made me put aside Lightwave and C4D. Half a year later I do still question if Genesis was worth it.)

Kakman said: Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results...

Indeed... Always thought it's extraordinary that Carrara remains highly useful and relevant today IN SPITE OF (fill in the blank negligence).

The most resilient and potential-ridden child of the family! :)

Imagine the explo$ive potential when this child gets some new shoes or books and a new haircut! 

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

and the kangaroos are non to happy about it either! frown

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    head wax said:

I hope Diomede starts his 5 favourite non carrara content list thread soon - with a separate section for carrara content ;)

I thought that was one of my hair sims 

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    head wax said:

I thought that was one of my hair sims 

Jon stewart admits its not nice to make fun of someone's hair ... but Trump is "comedy entrapment".

righto , you currency lads and lassies are cracking me up.

mythmaker saidith LOL... The powerful seduction of Daz3D content store window display...

yes it is the most expensive hobby I have ever had, it's like a slow bleed that you dont know you have .... until it's all over ;)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

head wax said:

Is he related to Boris?

Boris Johnson, Mayor of London 

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813

WOOF!

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

as much as donalds hair is to do, can we keep on topic and not venture into other arenas especially political, I come here to escape all that. :)

Milo said:

as much as donalds hair is to do, can we keep on topic and not venture into other arenas especially political, I come here to escape all that. :)

I thought we were talking about a side show or circus. ;-)
    Milo said:

sorry milo, the next step is to educate the non-carrara pa's, some of whom think that carrara users do not buy their products, therefore Cararra should not be supported. Not all pa's are as well informed as our own Carrara ones, sadly. 

Ignorance is not always bliss.