Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    lee_lhs said:
    KevinH said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but my wifi is password protected, so I don't think anyone could use it...unless they knew the password? Or has something changed? My Linksys router has a guest account, but it also needs a password.

New Windows will send out your WiFi password to all your contacts in Facebook, etc.

No, this is no joke.

I'm sorry but I can't believe that.  That would be illegal on MS's part.  There has to be a mis quote there or mis information.  I'd like a link to a valid article explaining that and if so then I'll be right over to the MS forums to hash that out.  That just simply can not be true.  Why would MS create such security issues for their operating system AND the end users??  Makes ZERO sense to me!  frown

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853

Yes, it moved almost every major program I have into Windows.old and filled the uninstall page with default icons that give the "this program may have been uninstalled already" message if you try to uninstall them from there.

I was lucky then. The only program that I use in my .old folder is CPUID. That is an odd one to be there. Everything else is Windows 7 related and AMD/ATI drivers. I was expecting, actually I was so sure, that my Lexmark 2500 printer would have been removed but it wasn't! This printer had issues with Windows 7, only after the company offered a new driver was I able to use it with Windows 7.

"New Windows will send out your WiFi password to all your contacts in Facebook, etc. "

That can be turned off pretty easily (especially when installing), and it doesn't send the passwords out per se (they're encoded and sent through Microsoft). It allows your contacts to connect to your WiFi when in range, but they won't actually know your password.

Not like we should keep that turned on anyway...    ;)

I have a bad feeling about this one. This can only make a black hat hacker's life so much easier. Encryption? From Microsoft? Those have been the easiest to crack for hackers.

Found some articles about the password issue.  Seems to be valid so I try to get onto the forums.  MS is so overloaded right now the sign in page keeps erroring out.  Makes me laugh!  I'm glad for the delay about the upgrade now.  They better fix this or no way will I upgrade.  That's total BS!  WOW!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    RAMWolff said:

I'm sorry but I can't believe that.  That would be illegal on MS's part.  There has to be a mis quote there or mis information.  I'd like a link to a valid article explaining that and if so then I'll be right over to the MS forums to hash that out.  That just simply can not be true.  Why would MS create such security issues for their operating system AND the end users??  Makes ZERO sense to me!  frown

If interested, google "wifi sense", or search within Microsoft's site.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,879

My update was pretty seamless and so far, everything is working as it should.

I´m loving Windows 10 : ) Especially the UI design!

As for the wifi sharing, by default it is on but it is very easy to turn it off which is what I did.

Interesting.  Could not even log on to my MS account via Firefox but IE would let me in instantly.  So I went to their forums, typed in wifi sense and found quite a few forum posters also upset.  So I found a thread that actually had some posts in it and posted my opinions about this.  I really hope that MS is listening.  This isn't helping them.  They ARE trying to win back approval and right now seems they are shooting themselvs in their proverbial foot!  lol

RAMWolff said:

I turned off everything in the update menu prior to updating, from Cortana to the sending info to Microsoft. Then I made sure to kill a few services after the update. I installed Start Is Back and I am back to business. I suggest everyone does the same, go into your privacy settings, especially, and go through it carefully.

I noticed that it takes my Windows 10 about five times longer to boot! On my notebook as well as my desktop. I went into my Startup settings and disabled those programs I don't need and it still takes just as a long to boot. I am scratching my head on this one.

I thought they were bragging that start up's were faster not slower?  frown

RAMWolff said:

I thought they were bragging that start up's were faster not slower?  frown

Looks like I am not the only one experiencing this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_perf/booting-and-restarting-is-slow/ec4af499-cccd-4e6e-b662-b5ceca19edb0?auth=1

The more I read the happier I am about not having the notice to upgrade as of yet... more time for them to release fixes... yay me!  cheeky

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020

Well I am staying far far away from it all. Make sure you guys stay on top of the Privacy and Services Agreements... Cos it dont look good at all.

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/ ;

The One Drive thing has me concerned too.  I don't even use it but it's on on my 8.1 rig but don't know how to turn it off.  I wish I could say I'm stupid but I'm not but the controls are very few and I dont' see a direct "turn One Drive off" option.  I use DropBox and am happy with how they run things for the most part.... It's not like I have a T1 connection that gives me the bandwidth to upload huge gigs of files so I use backup drives for my backups as it is but most of my music is backed up on line, that's painful enough, time wise, uploading those as it is!  lol

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,707
    SpyroRue said:

Well I am staying far far away from it all. Make sure you guys stay on top of the Privacy and Services Agreements... Cos it dont look good at all.

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/ ;

that's terrifying. O_o I think I'll pass on upgrading until windows stops supporting 7. like I did with XP.  

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

Well, for what it's worth, I upgraded, it took a reboot or two, and now everything works perfectly fine.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560

I knew most of the things in that Privacy and Service agreement, but not that last "we'll share your personal stuff if we feel it's really important" bit...wow. No Cortana, cloud, or signing in with a Windows account here.

Yesterday my friend had a video ad with audio start playing while he was talking to me on Skype...come on, ads are bad enough when they're not drowning out private conversations. It sounds like Microsoft is really trying to push their App store and targeted ads to us even when we're not out browsing on the internet.

That's so messed up.  Thanks for the heads up Snow.  When this happens for me I'll have this list to go through mentally to turn this off, turn that off, search and destroy!  lol

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

This little gem right here seems a bit over the top......

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing the use of the services”.

I wonder how long it will be before this gets used to "protect their customers" from services and products they have no control over,such as drop box and other cloud storage competitors.Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560
    edited July 2015

@RamWolff: Yeah, we shouldn't get paranoid, but a lot of these features don't seem to be quite worth the potential privacy risk. Hope it's cooled down where you are too.  :)

"This little gem right here seems a bit over the top......"

Yep, that's the part that got me too. I understand if law enforcement needs access to your private files in the investigation of a crime or something, but when a private company wants them - including the contents of your e-mails?? - when they have a 'good faith belief' to enforce terms of their own service? That seems waaay too general.

Post edited by SnowSultan on

"There is a very strong possibility that Windows 10 Service Release 1 To Roll Out Next Month" LOL!

http://www.windows10update.com/2015/07/windows-10-service-release-1-to-roll-out-next-month/

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,879

As if Windows already didn´t know all you do on their OS : ) 

Its not like an older version of Windows is your savior : )

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    nDelphi said:

"There is a very strong possibility that Windows 10 Service Release 1 To Roll Out Next Month" LOL!

http://www.windows10update.com/2015/07/windows-10-service-release-1-to-roll-out-next-month/

Well, if true you would have to admire Microsoft for fast turnaround fixing problems, but question how they'd let them through in the first place. Oy! frown

"Competence" a skill in massive decline.

• Kev914Kev914 Posts: 1,109

I think that the installation is faster if you use the Get Windows 10 process.

If you do the manual installation, you have to wait for the files to download. Then it checks for updates. Then it checks your pc to see if it is realy. Then it says it is doing a few things. Then the system reboots to a black screen where it copies files, installs drivers and then configures.

When I happened to click on my Get Windows 10 icon, it said that windows was ready. it asked me if I wanted to install now or later. I said now. Then it said it was doing a few things and then it rebooted to the black screen and went from there. Apparently, it had already downloaded the file, checked for updates, and made sure my pc was ready in the background.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    kyoto kid said:

...still on WIn7.

Until they change the policy on auto updating for all editions to permit everyone to turn it off (as has been allowed with all previous versions), I will not DL and install it. The recent issue with the Nvida installer update MS provided that tanked systems (particularly those running multiple monitors) about a week before the main public launch tends to instil a lack of confidence about leaving MS in control of what gets installed on my system.

They have already released a utility that allows you to ncontrol that.

See: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-releases-tool-to-allow-you-to-block-automatic-windows-10-updates

Seriously, Windows Defender is very bad; Windows firewall, as long as properly configured, is great though.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    acanthis said:

Niggle 3:

I am FED UP with Windows 10 popping up random hints while I am working. The one that is really p.....g me off is "Press Win+G for the Game Bar". If I wanted to play games I would type GAMES into the non-removeable search box on the FlatBar!!!

That drops my overall OS rating from 5/10 to 4/10. If M$ had the time to write the code for these useless hints, then they should have been able to finish coding the settings panel so that it has a unified style throughout (see my previous post).

It's starting on a downhill slope now. smiley

[Edit: Issue seems to be related to using the F3 key, from the Desktop F3 calls up the new Start Menu, but from within some other programs (that use F3) pressing it causes one of the tips to popup]

[Edit 2: Would you believe it? Win 7 really is spying on me - after posting that last edit I tried F3 again, but this time the annoying tip panel had miraculously gained a "Do not show this again" checkbox. Now that's what I call an Adaptive Operating System]

..game bars? Flat bars?  The only bars I care to deal with are those that will serve me a pint of beer and a glass of good Scot's malt whiskey

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

I updated my old laptops, and even very old  one of my Land Lady everything worked  out smooth but still not my PC,  stupid code error don't want to boot after instalation and returning back to win8.1 I tried already most everything , even clean instalation did not worked . All drivers up to date , unpluged all devices .. since the error is for bad driver .. and nothing .. really sucks 

• SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    kyoto kid said:

...still on WIn7.

Until they change the policy on auto updating for all editions to permit everyone to turn it off (as has been allowed with all previous versions), I will not DL and install it. The recent issue with the Nvida installer update MS provided that tanked systems (particularly those running multiple monitors) about a week before the main public launch tends to instil a lack of confidence about leaving MS in control of what gets installed on my system.

Don't hold your breath.    

I don't care for the whole subscription based operating system.  The worlds largest computer tech company is giving away its new platform for a reason... the same reason crack dealers give 'freebies' to people who have never done drugs.  Because they are creating income streams where they can slowly drain your pockets while also making a move on Mozilla and making it difficult to use other platforms and by extension control the marketplace just like Apple does on Itunes where they get 30 percent of the world music industry royalties.

In the end its about control and that control and whether or not you are willing to be tethered to a corporation by controlling access.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    edited July 2015

This article spells out some of the reasons I am waiting to upgrade.  I think Windows 10 will be a very good OS but waiting for things to shake out.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2953307/microsoft-windows/windows-10-is-for-suckers.html

Cheers!

..very interesting.

...then there was Peter Bright's qoute: "In its current form, the [operating system] doesn't feel quite finished"

...for some reason that has a strikingly familiar ring to it...

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

works fine for me

do I like - time will tell

• AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193

I have my manual install Win10 Pro ISO file downloaded & ready for install...after a few other work deadlines & I finish my popcorn watching the initial install fallout for about a week or so heh.  I always like to give a little time before making the big OS sweep, although this will probably be the shortest amount of time I've waitied.