Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    kyoto kid said:

...still on WIn7.

Until they change the policy on auto updating for all editions to permit everyone to turn it off (as has been allowed with all previous versions), I will not DL and install it. The recent issue with the Nvida installer update MS provided that tanked systems (particularly those running multiple monitors) about a week before the main public launch tends to instil a lack of confidence about leaving MS in control of what gets installed on my system.

Don't hold your breath.    

I don't care for the whole subscription based operating system.  The worlds largest computer tech company is giving away its new platform for a reason... the same reason crack dealers give 'freebies' to people who have never done drugs.  Because they are creating income streams where they can slowly drain your pockets while also making a move on Mozilla and making it difficult to use other platforms and by extension control the marketplace just like Apple does on Itunes where they get 30 percent of the world music industry royalties.

In the end its about control and that control and whether or not you are willing to be tethered to a corporation by controlling access.

If your smart about how your conduct your business with MS they will only get so much out of you.  I don't worry about that aspect of all this.  Just the security stuff and quite frankly at this rate they will be forced by their peers to set things right.  They had updates out the gate almost immediately after 8 was released and then eventually we got 8.1 which fixed allot of the mess.  MS has NEVER EVER done a perfect release and I've been using Windows since '95 on up so..... no big surprise.... Giving this system away for free, that's totally new.  I've saved over 100.00, we shall see how they TRY to nickle and dime me...  I don't part with my money unless *I* want to.... simple as that.... 

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853

The only reason I updated to Windows 10 now is to get over the pain quickly. In the end it is going to happen. Newer software will only work on the Winows 10 OS, so why fight it?

I can bitch and moan about how evil Microsoft is and how Windows 8 and 10 suck and how I wish I was on XP still but the market moves in one direction and it isn't my direction.

I don't use Linux as my everyday OS because the software that I need to use works only on Windows and maybe Mac OS X (a platform that I will never use).

Hey, your on line posting so that's a plus!  wink

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    edited July 2015

...Well looks like it's time  to go out and get a copy of Linux for IT dummies (like me).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SwanSwan Posts: 134
    edited July 2015

I have the free upgrade but am not using it. UI for 10 is carried over from 8. Fine for touch-screens, fine for general users, but for someone like me, who makes their living on the PC via graphic design and software engineering, yeah, that UI just doesn't scream productivity. Does however scream frustration.

Post edited by Swan on
  • SwanSwan Posts: 134
    edited July 2015
    nDelphi said:

The only reason I updated to Windows 10 now is to get over the pain quickly. In the end it is going to happen. Newer software will only work on the Winows 10 OS, so why fight it?

I can bitch and moan about how evil Microsoft is and how Windows 8 and 10 suck and how I wish I was on XP still but the market moves in one direction and it isn't my direction.

I don't use Linux as my everyday OS because the software that I need to use works only on Wwindows and maybe Mac OS X (a platform that I will never use).

It will be years before software stops working for Windows 7. Hell, most software still runs on XP (even now more PCs run XP than version 8). So whatever works on Windows 10 will work on 7 pretty much without exception. Too, Microsoft won't end security updates for Windows 7 until Jan. 14, 2020. Me, I'm waiting for as long as I can before moving from  7. 

Post edited by Swan on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

find out that my SSD was corrupted and had to install W10 on new spare one , and in the middle of installation now but in progress without errors finally . Something Happened with the old one lol for sure win10 screwed it as yesterday was not issues .. Oh well not first time

I thought SSD drives were supposed to be perfect?  LOL  WOW.... you said not the first time, so you've had an SSD drive corrupted before this?  I'm asking because I think about getting one but perhaps not...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940

...yeah, I read a lot of pros & cons about SSDs. Kind of like the old "Poser Daz debates".

Still, a lot of machines (including servers) use them. Currently weighing out the differences, advantages, and disadvantages between PCIe and SATA SSDs

It will be years before software stops working for Windows 7. Hell, most software still runs on XP (even now more PCs run XP than version 8). So whatever works on Windows 10 will work on 7 pretty much without exception. Too, Microsoft won't end security updates for Windows 7 until Jan. 14, 2020. Me, I'm waiting for as long as I can before moving from  7. 

There a lot of new tech in Windows 10, heck even in Windows 8, that are not available in Windows 7 and that newer software will take advantage of. I am looking forward to using some of this new tech, like Storage Spaces, native ISO mounting, etc. I ran into the "you will need a newer version of Windows" before. I am not waiting around this time for that to happen. And even without those new features, I would not be waiting around five years to get acquainted with Windows 10. By that time I hope to be Windows-10-pain free. LOL!

edited July 2015
    MEC4D said:

find out that my SSD was corrupted and had to install W10 on new spare one , and in the middle of installation now but in progress without errors finally . Something Happened with the old one lol for sure win10 screwed it as yesterday was not issues .. Oh well not first time

I use Speed Fan to help me read the Smart Data on my hard drives. Using Speed Fan for that has been invaluable to help me understand when an HDD is possibly about to fail.

I am sure there are tools out there for this, but Speed Fan is free and works just fine for me for that purpose.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Speedfan, and other similar tools, are fine for HDDs, nDelphi, but are worse than useless for SSDs, because of the differences in how the S.M.A.R.T. data is interpreted. Most SSD manufacturers offer their own utilities for this purpose, downloadable from their websites, designed specifically for their SSDs. However, the life or "health" of an SSD depends on more than just traditional S.M.A.R.T. parameters. One big determining factor in SSD health is the number of write/erase cycles completed. The fact that NAND flash cells degrade with each successive write/erase cycle is perhaps the SSD's Achilles heel. Manufacturers work around this by using complex firmware algorithms that attempt to spread this across all the NAND cells in a process known as "wear levelling". That is so some cells don't degrade faster than others to a point where the capacity of the drive begins to decrease as cells become unusable (often with an accompanying decrease in drive performance). So predicting the remaining life, or current health, of a SSD is often about running algorithms that look at past usage (writes/erases), predict future usage, and use that to guestimate when the NAND cells have reached the probable point of failure. The accuracy of such metrics is only as good as the algorithm, of course.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,879

I highly recommend Hard Disk Sentinel, it's probably the ultimate HDD/SDD drive tool. Have it on all my computers. Comes with a lifetime license btw.

• jerhamjerham Posts: 153

Upgraded my "old" workstation as a test, went with out any problem and DAZ software works fine.

But wow, what bad business in regard to privacy, everything is opt-out. It is completly ridicules, turned everything off but for now. But holding off updating of my main system.

Also, for those with limted bandwith. Windows 10 has default peer to peer updating turned on !  (how nice of Microsoft that they use customer bandwith to distribute updates, around the internet by default). You can turn this off in the update settings screen (advanced settings)

• SnowPheonixSnowPheonix Posts: 896
    jerham said:

Upgraded my "old" workstation as a test, went with out any problem and DAZ software works fine.

But wow, what bad business in regard to privacy, everything is opt-out. It is completly ridicules, turned everything off but for now. But holding off updating of my main system.

Also, for those with limted bandwith. Windows 10 has default peer to peer updating turned on !  (how nice of Microsoft that they use customer bandwith to distribute updates, around the internet by default). You can turn this off in the update settings screen (advanced settings)

But what you can't turn off is the updates themselves from Microsoft as you have just become the newest guinea pig for Microsoft 10 the experimental version that is said to be a testing ground for the business "enterpise" edition according to there blogs.

Also they haven't told you how or when they are going to start charging you subscription rates... Forbes recommeneds every avoids Win 10 for that very reason:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/14/windows-10-unanswered-questions/

You are now tethered to big brother and he's going to tell you when you need to pay him for services as soon as they've hooked everybody into updating...  "Free".. LOL  when do massive corporations ever give anything for "free".. the cost is you get to be the lab rats.

SixDs said:

Speedfan, and other similar tools, are fine for HDDs, nDelphi, but are worse than useless for SSDs, because of the differences in how the S.M.A.R.T. data is interpreted.

I understand the difference, whether you use SSD's or HDD's my advice applies. Keep an eye on your drives. I myself use backup software that helps me by doing mirror backups, so I am not as paranoid as I was before.

But what you can't turn off is the updates themselves from Microsoft as you have just become the newest guinea pig for Microsoft 10 the experimental version that is said to be a testing ground for the business "enterpise" edition according to there blogs.
    Also they haven't told you how or when they are going to start charging you subscription rates... Forbes recommeneds every avoids Win 10 for that very reason:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/14/windows-10-unanswered-questions/

You are now tethered to big brother and he's going to tell you when you need to pay him for services as soon as they've hooked everybody into updating...  "Free".. LOL  when do massive corporations ever give anything for "free".. the cost is you get to be the lab rats.

I went looking for the hack that supposely brought back the old Update service and it seems Microsoft put the breaks on that one:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/windows-update-applet-in-control-panel/38202756-a5ab-498f-9fdf-af11f0062934

Microsoft has stated that WIndows 10 will not be sold as a subscription model. Where are you getting this from? Certainly not the article you linked to.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    nDelphi said:

It will be years before software stops working for Windows 7. Hell, most software still runs on XP (even now more PCs run XP than version 8). So whatever works on Windows 10 will work on 7 pretty much without exception. ...

...I ran into the "you will need a newer version of Windows" before. ....

I have also run into this issue, so while things MIGHT work for a long time... they also might not.  During the supported life of XP, I had to throw away an old version of Microsoft Office because parts of it stopped working on XP, turns out due to a Windows update.  DAZ Studio already doesn't work fully on XP anymore (You can still use nearly every feature, but you can no longer work with certain image file types.) 

Back in the Windows XP days before Windows 7 came out, I once got a free old Windows 95?97? laptop from somebody that I thought I would use to throw PDF manuals on to free up some screen space, but after a bit of a struggle it became apparent that even something as simple as viewing a PDF was no longer possible (for me, it might have been technically possible) because I was unable to locate an older version of Adobe Acrobat Viewer, only recent versions, all of which refused to run without the Windows .NET framework that can't run on the older versions of Windows.  Of course that's going back to antique versions of the OS that nobody would expect to work... nearly TWO versions of Windows earlier.    Wait... Windows 10... 8... 7... that's also TWO versions of windows ago now...  :-)  The point here being that software can and has rapidly been updated to the point where it can no longer work on the "old" system you are currently running.

Hopefully of course much of it will still work for years.  I still have an application from the Windows 95 days that works great in Windows 7.  But I've had to throw out quite a bit of hardware and software over the years that no longer works due to advances in Windows, sometimes even in the middle of the supported lifetime of the operating system, not just all the stuff that fails on a Windows version change, so don't DEPEND on things working for years.

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828

I have the free upgrade but am not using it. UI for 10 is carried over from 8. Fine for touch-screens, fine for general users, but for someone like me, who makes their living on the PC via graphic design and software engineering, yeah, that UI just doesn't scream productivity. Does however scream frustration.

Actually not so much.  Theres a small section of "tiles" attached to the start menu and theres the search bar and a taskbar along the bottom of the screen but other than that, its very much like Windows 7 and other previous versions.

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828
    jerham said:

Good catch!  That little issue is now taken care of . Thanks for sharing

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Is it possible to download and burn it to a DVD for potential future upgrade use, while still running Windows 7 without ever installing/uninstalling,and potentially never using it?  Or do you have to go through the installation/uninstallion process, and/or does acceptance/download do anything weird like convert your current Windows 7 license to a Windows 10 license?

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

You can download it, but keep in mind it will free for some time, how long remains a mistery. As of now it only upgrades activated copies of previous versions of 7/8/8.1. What I'd do in your place, I'd clean install windows 7, activate it and then upgrade to windows 10 and once activated make a backup for later use. It doesn't have to be done on your main machine. HTH

• jag11 said:

You can download it, but keep in mind it will free for some time, how long remains a mistery. As of now it only upgrades activated copies of previous versions of 7/8/8.1. What I'd do in your place, I'd clean install windows 7, activate it and then upgrade to windows 10 and once activated make a backup for later use. It doesn't have to be done on your main machine. HTH

I think it does have to be done on the machine you intend to use - that was my inference from a section in the instructions on doing a clean install from disc:

Note

If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.

So it sounds as if you need t do an upgrade isntall at least once, and that ties the copy of Windows to that machine.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604

Want your PC to act as "Bit Torrent" client, serving up Windows files to users all over the place? No? Too bad. That's what you get with Windows 10 ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/windows_10_torrent_updates/

... unless you explicitly turn it off using a deceptively mis-named option tucked away in the Settings ...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

Niggle #5. Option should be OFF by default, not ON!

Thanks for the link, I'll add that to the Windows 10 folder for when I get my upgrade notice..... This delay is working out pretty good for me as I'm going to be a bit better prepared than others...

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,618

I have't tried any Daz software on Windows 10 yet but so far the upgrade on my PC has been a disaster. I chose to upgrade my Windows 8 laptop convertible and now none of my Windows 8 apps will start. The store app says it is going to update some of them but gets a little way into the update and just stops. I used to use this machine mainly as a Kindle and digital comic reader but neither of those work anymore. My main machine is definitley staying on Windows 7 for now.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited August 2015

Same here if I do change the laptop to 10 from 8  I would do a clean install

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

my laptop is fine - sorry to hear about yours

• zmortiszmortis Posts: 98

I made the jump to Windows 10. Found that the font in Daz 3D 4.8 with a 4K monitor is even smaller than it was in Windows 8.1. I'm hoping Daz will come up with a solution that allows for tweaking their menu fonts pretty soon. I need a magnifying glass to read them now.

edited August 2015

OK... Lets say that I own "MassiveSoft" corporation and I give you a free OS after years of waging war against software pirates.  I've lost the browser war because Mozilla,  I've lost the content war because Apple now gets 30 percent of all royalties ... how do I get more market share?  Thats what companies are asking... not how can I provide a better experience for our users.. like freebie Mozilla or Linux might be doing... so I give you my software with no strings but that you take my updates and using peer to peer defaults, you also help distribute my OS like a virus..  I get to save billions of dollars because I don't have to print up disk that thieves can steal and physically examine.

I understand all about business tactics, from loss leaders to the evils of crony capitalism. Heck we get DAZ Studio for free, right?

Your opinion aside, I wanted to find proof where Microsoft restated their position to go with the subscription model. You haven't provided it.

The only business tactic I see from Microsoft is getting Windows 10 installed in as many devices as possible and selling services and getting people to use their search engine, etc. If they can get you hooked into their services, such as Cortana and Onedrive, that is where the money will be in the future.

The problem is that the CEO of Microsoft must be drunk if he thinks that using people's bandwidth for their own business use, passing people's WiFi passwords around their close inner circle, etc., is going to go over well, he is going to get shocked into sobriety soon. Just wait and see what a field day hackers are going to have.

Post edited by nDelphi on