Windows 10 - It's heeerrre! and it's free for some

LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
edited July 2015 in The Commons

It's here!  The savior of mankind, Windows 10.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/microsoft-windows-10-n399816

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Comments

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

My son got his this morning. So far he likes it.

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506
    Windows 10 is amazing. Just make sure you reinstall your antivirus after you update :)
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560
    edited July 2015

Waiting for my notification...I reserved my copy when I first got that little pop-up in the taskbar, but nothing yet. I mainly want it to see how it works on a Cintiq and if it can give me back the mysterious 2 GB of RAM that my system has but never seems to recognize.

"Just make sure you reinstall your antivirus after you update :) "

Oh, and also turn off the wi-fi sharing feature unless you want your Skype and Facebook friends to have access to your wi-fi.  ;)

edit: a friend just retweeted this...maybe the best error message of all time.

CLD0pr2UwAAwQwM.png large.png
    474 x 267 - 14K
    Post edited by SnowSultan on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

Me too Snow.  Still waiting for the notification.  I guess it's a small blessing.  It's supposed to hit 104 degrees here today so might not be the best day to upgrade the system!  YIKES! 

• StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301

Still waiting for my Win 10 notice too. Suppose to be 106 dgrees in Corvallis, Oregon tomorrow. Very, very abnormal.

You can just download Win10 and manually upgrade here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452

Waiting for my notification...I reserved my copy when I first got that little pop-up in the taskbar, but nothing yet. I mainly want it to see how it works on a Cintiq and if it can give me back the mysterious 2 GB of RAM that my system has but never seems to recognize.

"Just make sure you reinstall your antivirus after you update :) "

Oh, and also turn off the wi-fi sharing feature unless you want your Skype and Facebook friends to have access to your wi-fi.  ;)

edit: a friend just retweeted this...maybe the best error message of all time.

This is perhaps better than nothing happened? enlightened 

• Edited thread title to add Windows 10 to try to reduce the number of other threads that appear when people think there isn't one already.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

Ramwolf: Yeah, I'm ... not thrilled not to have an AC in this area. ugh

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

I downloaded it 3 times .. giving me some error by each update attempt when I reboot it is back to Win 8.1 .. error code and that is for the last 12 hours of trying , Used the Tools manually and the same thing .. does maybe antivirus ? I use BullGuard

The notification show up for me after I installed the critical W8.1 updates this morning and reboot after ..  it seems like it trigger the notification to pop up , but so much excitement about still win8.1 lol

RAMWolff said:

Me too Snow.  Still waiting for the notification.  I guess it's a small blessing.  It's supposed to hit 104 degrees here today so might not be the best day to upgrade the system!  YIKES! 

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Personally, I'll be taking a more cautionary approach. I have three machines running Windows 7, only two of which I will consider (since one is W7 Ultimate). But I have twelve months to take them up on the free offer, so no hurry. I'll wait a few months to see how it shakes out for everyone, then decide. The strain on the servers should have subsided by then, too. I didn't download or install the notification app - I don't need to have my PC unnecessarily nagging me about something I'm already aware of. No urgency, here.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,879

I just updated and so far so good : ) Took about 2-3 hours.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    edited July 2015

...still on WIn7.

Until they change the policy on auto updating for all editions to permit everyone to turn it off (as has been allowed with all previous versions), I will not DL and install it. The recent issue with the Nvida installer update MS provided that tanked systems (particularly those running multiple monitors) about a week before the main public launch tends to instil a lack of confidence about leaving MS in control of what gets installed on my system.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:

...still on WIn7.

Until they change the policy on auto updating for all editions to permit everyone to turn it off (as has been allowed with all previous versions), I will not DL and install it. The recent issue with the Nvida installer update MS provided that tanked systems (particularly those running multiple monitors) about a week before the main public launch tends to instil a lack of confidence about leaving MS in control of what gets installed on my system.

Don't hold your breath.    

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2015

I could not fin info about the DVD creation process. I have Windows 7 Pro on my desktop and Windows 8.1 Home edition on a notebook. If create a Pro DVD can I use that to update Home as well? Essentially only downloading once. I couldn't find this info, so I am ending up downloading twice (twice I hope and not multiple times like some have reported).

Post edited by nDelphi on
    MEC4D said:

I downloaded it 3 times .. giving me some error by each update attempt when I reboot it is back to Win 8.1 .. error code and that is for the last 12 hours of trying , Used the Tools manually and the same thing .. does maybe antivirus ? I use BullGuard

There was a single Windows update yesterday that purported to help make the Windows10 update happen more smoothly, evidently in preparation for today's roll out.  Did you get it?  I got it for my Win7 systems   The update for Win7 was "KB2952664".  I don't know yet if there was one for Win8.1 I'm still in the process of installing a batch of 11 updates since the last time I turned on my Win8.1 system a week or so ago.

I had like 7-8 as I do not allow automatic updates that screw my work in the middle , but , I tried again with the Tools and finally it started preparing stuff as well , I am ready to push the button again, I hope it works this time

MEC4D said:

There was a single Windows update yesterday that purported to help make the Windows10 update happen more smoothly, evidently in preparation for today's roll out.  Did you get it?  I got it for my Win7 systems   The update for Win7 was "KB2952664".  I don't know yet if there was one for Win8.1 I'm still in the process of installing a batch of 11 updates since the last time I turned on my Win8.1 system a week or so ago.

Ok I am giving up now .. did not worked again 

!w8-error.jpg
    716 x 562 - 100K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited July 2015
    kyoto kid said:

This certainly seems like a huge issue.  I've had to back out software updates a number of times to prevent nasty problems.  In a perfect world this wouldn't happen, but this is not a perfect world.  Even if it works fine for 99.9% of the population, that doesn't help the remaining fraction, which based on experience will probably be me.  :-)  So if an update is required, and the update makes your computer lock up or crash over and over, and a fix or workaround is either not available or simply cannot be identified, what are you supposed to do at this point?  Never use Windows again and buy a Mac, which will magically somehow run all my software?  Hope that at an unknown point, perhaps years in the future, a fix will be found or a new version of Windows without this trouble spot is released, and use paper until then?  ummm... hm. Obviously as an owner of a previous version of Windows I would plan on using that as a fallback and try not to depend on any new features of Windows,  But since the software I depend on could be changing to eventually require newer features of the OS this probably means this will only work for a limited time.  But new users who are just starting will have no fallback point.  We of course have zero control over Microsoft's decision to reconsider this or not, but I wonder what to do if and when your PC gets zapped with this.

I hear there might be workarounds, but of course a hack can't be depended on to always be available, so those workarounds might be short-lived.. or not, who knows.

Does the Pro version allow updates to remain uninstalled forever (and that's the answer, just buy the Pro version and all your problems are solved), or does the Pro version simply defer updates until some later required time, or only allows you to stop all Windows updates forever and freeze to a point in time prior to the trouble spot?  I'm seeing conflicting/confusing descriptions of what it's supposed to do.

Post edited by sriesch on

when I tried to install from DVD I got this LOL .. very informative see attachment 

something is screwed up with M$ updates that is for sure angry

!w8-error2.jpg
    716 x 562 - 67K
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,879

That screenshot : D Microsoft is trolling : D

edited July 2015
    MEC4D said:

Are you dual-booting on your current system? Some people have mentioned that it affected the installation... 

edit: Actually, with the Safe_OS errors, you can try this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683

Post edited by mtl1 on
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,438
    MEC4D said:

when I tried to install from DVD I got this LOL .. very informative see attachment 

Something happened LOL

edited July 2015

Thanks for the code  explonation , it seems like the AntiVirus may be the issue as it is listed under the error code , I may try once again

P.S no no dual-booting 

mtl1 said:
    MEC4D said:

Are you dual-booting on your current system? Some people have mentioned that it affected the installation... 

edit: Actually, with the Safe_OS errors, you can try this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683

Post edited by MEC4D on
  • nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,853
    Hellboy said:
    MEC4D said:

Something happened LOL

I can see the T-Shirts now with the new viral catchphrase: "Something happened"

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560

I went with the manual installation and got it working now. First thoughts...

- If you have multiple monitors attached, disconnect them before trying to install. I sat here for two hours with a black screen thinking something was wrong, and it wasn't until I ran a Google search using a phone that Iearned Windows may be trying to show the installation screens on another monitor. Unplugged them, reset (which I was afraid to do), and the installation continued.

- So far, I don't like it. I make art, I don't like this minimilistic craze that everyone seems to be on now. Lifeless icons, flat colors, and teeny tiny icons and text at 2560x1440 (and blurry if you try to increase their size).

- For crying out loud, I don't want mobile apps installed in my desktop system! Candy Crush Saga, really? Am I going to start getting ads for Game of War while rendering now?

- No borders on any windows now? That is weird, and it makes it harder than before to resize stuff. The lack of that little bit of color makes everything even more monochrome and flat.

I'll be looking forward to any visual addons people make...supposedly Rainmeter works with Windows 10, although that's going to the other extreme. Ah well, progress.

RAMWolff: Yeah, I'm ... not thrilled not to have an AC in this area. ugh

Yea, I don't really think it was hotter than yesterday truth be told.  Supposed to be but they are rarely on the money.  I'm thankful, I thought I'd be at the movies or some place with AC but nope, it was OK!  

MEC4D said:

The notification show up for me after I installed the critical W8.1 updates this morning and reboot after ..  it seems like it trigger the notification to pop up , but so much excitement about still win8.1 lol

RAMWolff said:

Yes, read on line that you MUST do all updates for the install.  I did all that, rebooted, now I have this notice in the Windows Update telling me I'm on the list to upgrade to 10 but that's it.  It's OK.  With the NVIDIA driver issue that MS is scrambling to fix I'd rather wait until that's resolved anyways.  

Nvidia updated the driver today I runing it just fine , bugs was fixed  

RAMWolff said:
    MEC4D said:

RAMWolff said:

Yes, read on line that you MUST do all updates for the install.  I did all that, rebooted, now I have this notice in the Windows Update telling me I'm on the list to upgrade to 10 but that's it.  It's OK.  With the NVIDIA driver issue that MS is scrambling to fix I'd rather wait until that's resolved anyways.