The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

Bye the way ... Happy Birthday Rezca!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,627
    edited December 2022

marcus.ames said:

Couldn't you just partition your main drive or buy a cheap second one and dual-boot, running Windows 7 for all your normal stuff and using Windows 10 expressly for Daz for the iRay rendering?

...doing a VM means having to allocate memory to each partition and given how "heavy" content has become memory wise, not a good idea.  Dual boot is a bother as I would have to keep rebooting every time between setup and render mode. I also won't be able to use Iray View mode in W7 which would mean more render tests and more back & forth rebooting.. . .

it also means I'd still have to deal with what I consider all the "undesirable" futures of and updates with W10. 

Just as good to go with 11. Pro as again based on what I've been researching it would give me more control to get rid of things I don't want or need.  Maybe W12 will go back to the original model 7 was built on. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,584

kyoto kid said:

Maybe W12 will go back to the original model 7 was built on. 

Not until THE hot place freezes over.

MS has chosen their path of ignoring the needs of experienced users, they are not going to change the direction they are headed. 

• so not only did Opera update on Win7

but imported all my bookmarks

and

gasp

I am signed into the DAZ forum 

what is this witchcraft! devil

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,231
    edited December 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

so not only did Opera update on Win7

but imported all my bookmarks

and

gasp

I am signed into the DAZ forum 

what is this witchcraft! devil

THIS is the witchcraft!yes  (examine the chart near the bottom) < I hope the overly long link works.>  

https://lab.cccb.org/en/arthur-c-clarke-any-sufficiently-advanced-technology-is-indistinguishable-from-magic/#:~:text=In 1962, in his book,technology is indistinguishable from magic”.&nbsp;

Look for the header "

"Was Arthur C. Clarke right?
    An exploration of the magical nature of technology
    "

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,770

McGyver said:

Bye the way ... Happy Birthday Rezca!

happy birthday! 

• More birthday greetings to Rezca.yes

Now a Complaint:  Boy, oh boy is this a complaint:  I keep a spreadsheet of my bazillion login names & passwords, and application keys.  Kept it for years.  Yes, I also use a password manager but my primary memory of logins, passwords & keys is in my manually maintained and encrypted list file.  So, by now you've guessed what has happened.  Yep, I lost it.  Not normally a problem, because I keep weekly backup (on Sunday), and I also keep miscellaneous copies of the file on other computers.  Unfortunately, yesterday and this morning I spent several hours changing important login and passwords (I do this every 6 months).  When done I used WinZIP to encrypt it but got careless with the encryption password I entered to encrypt it.  I've tried every possible combination of upper/lower case letters, symbols & numbers in the proper password, but to no avail.no  So I go looking around my system for a copy of the file.  The latest one I found is at least two days old.sad  Yeah, I have the info for places not changed in the last two days, but the ones I changed in the last two days are things like banks, Amazon, TracFone, etc.crying.​

OK, so that's bad news.  But wait, there's more...  In my panic to recover at least a partial copy of the passwords list, I grabbed what I thought was my passwords file from another machine and copied it to my primary machine.  Unfortunately, I'd grabbed my 2022 Budget spreadsheet that was several days old and plopped it right onto the desktop of my primary machine, obliterating the actual current budget that I had made many updates to during the last two days.  ARGHHHHH...crying

All is not lost, I can probably recover or re-establish new passwords where needed, and the budget info can be recreated from my receipts, but that is work.  I'm retired now, I'm not supposed to work.cheeky

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Oh bother.. do you use Firefox? You can export your browser  saved logins and passwords as a .csv file...

edited December 2022

That's true, but I  can do that with Chrome browser as well as the Norton p/w archive.  The trick is to actually do it, regularlyenlightened, or at least before you make a pigs breakfast of your file.frown  And besides, I don't keep many passwords in the browser, I'd rather keep them in my Norton Password Manager.  Have been for years and years.

Edited to add, I think I've got the password muckup fixed.yes  I've done enough damage for the day.  Tomorrow I'll tackle the missing budget entries.indecision

And as long as I mentioned work, and as an introduction to the forces shaping my teenage mentality, here is what Maynard G. Krebbs thinks of work.

And here's a better example of the true nature of Maynard G. Krebbs.  (From the late 50's TV show "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis")

(And yes, I remember small family owned grocery stores just like that here in my home town during the '50s & '60s.  Three grocery stores like that in the two block downtown area of this little village.  Gone now, just one small supermarket.)

edited December 2022

...oh geez those clips take me back.

edited December 2022

...complaint:  cold, rainy, windy, and damp today, making the bones and joints ache all that much more. 

Trying to keep form turning the heat on and sending my power bill through the roof. but even "layered up", still feeling it ( and this is a relatively modern building I'm in not some drafty old tenement. 

...brrr...must...not...turn...heat...on....

ETA:

Just saw the extended forecast and snow with temps in the 20s on my birthday.  

I am getting around to wrapping the Christmas cards I got already.  Did I wrap that scotch tape on purpose?

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,667

i see the big holiday sale is going on.  I don't feel like buying any more characters for Genesis 8 besides Brooke.  Gonna go back to typing.  Yay

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

yeah.. makes one feel old --- Heck I AM old!   (yeah I remember that show)

kyoto kid said:

...oh geez those clips take me back.

I am so tired. I don't know why.  I did go to Dollar Tree, Walmart and Aldi today.

Did I get that waffle maker for my sweetheart so he can have an easy way to make waffles in the morning?

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,446
    edited December 2022

The guy at the shop where my faulty laptop came from strove me down that there wasn't a problem with it. He was using DXDiag to find out if there was anything wrong with the RAM. Except I don't get my specs from DXDiag, I use the About page. 

Anyway, whatever problems the computer was giving me on the day that I got it just disappeared... Until he tried to use the keyboard. It kept producing random "m"s when typing. He gave me some bull about the battery being built-in, expanding with use, and pressing against the keys. How do I know it's bull? Because I took the battery off the machine the day that I got it (it was one of those ones that slide and lock into place). 

So today, I took it back and got a replacement. A HP Notebook. It was supposed to be £204 (originally £250), but he let me have it for £160 (which was the price of the one that I had just brought back to him). 

It's got 2 CPUs, and can run Daz (wh00t!). But it's only got a 250GB HDD. So I'm now trying to decide whether I should get a new internal HDD or SSD, or a new external HDD.

I'm feeling tired again. Oh well, tidying up isn't going to do itself :/

EDIT: Belated Happy Birthday, Rezca! :)

Post edited by N-RArts on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,032

Happy (late) Birthday Rezca! Hope next year is a good one for us all!

edited December 2022

N-RArts said:

The guy at the shop where my faulty laptop came from strove me down that there wasn't a problem with it. He was using DXDiag to find out if there was anything wrong with the RAM. Except I don't get my specs from DXDiag, I use the About page. 

Anyway, whatever problems the computer was giving me on the day that I got it just disappeared... Until he tried to use the keyboard. It kept producing random "m"s when typing. He gave me some bull about the battery being built-in, expanding with use, and pressing against the keys. How do I know it's bull? Because I took the battery off the machine the day that I got it (it was one of those ones that slide and lock into place). 

So today, I took it back and got a replacement. A HP Notebook. It was supposed to be £204 (originally £250), but he let me have it for £160 (which was the price of the one that I had just brought back to him). 

It's got 2 CPUs, and can run Daz (wh00t!). But it's only got a 250GB HDD. So I'm now trying to decide whether I should get a new internal HDD or SSD, or a new external HDD.

I'm feeling tired again. Oh well, tidying up isn't going to do itself :/

EDIT: Belated Happy Birthday, Rezca! :)

...I'd consider an internal SSD as there are no moving parts to get jostled about and knocked out of alignment (and it will happen).  The other benefit, faster boot up of the system and software.   

Make sure the connection to the drive is SATA and not  PATA or IDE as SSDs for the older connections tend to be rather expensive for the strorage capacity you get (80 - 160 GB) and can cost as much as a 2 TB SATA drive.

I need to wake up soon

edited December 2022

@ N-RArts: Do not settle for an SSD under at least 500GB.enlightened

A few moments later...  Complaint:  ARGHHH... My laptop computer seems to be randomly rebooting.crying  I knew this day was coming.frown  The laptop is an HP G60-642NR from 2010, with just a Pentium Dual-Core CPU and maxed out at only 4GB of DDR3 RAM.surprise  Although, it has had it's hard drive replaced with a nice SATA SSD(and some fava beanswink), but it's still slow because 4GB is simply too small for Win10 to avoid lots of memory paging, but it works, if you are patient.indecision

Now, it seems, that it's starting to break down. (*sigh*)  I don't really need a laptop, I have so many other (functional if not modern) computers around here, and I don't go long distance travelling nor do I do any repair housecalls anymore.  But of course now my mind is wanting to peruse laptop catalogs.  Oh, no..., it's starting again, that burning feeling in my wallet, and I can hear my credit card whimpering. frown

A few more moments later... Non-complaint:  Wheee... I think I've resolved my lost and corrupted files situation from yesterday.  Yay!  My budget spreadsheet balances again, and my password file seems to be all there again.  Wheee...smiley

I want to replace my laptop's HDD with a 2 TB or bigger SSD HDD.  I'm afraid it will be expensive and I would have to reinstall everything!

edited December 2022

Complaint?:  Over the last couple of hours I've succeeded in doing a long Windows Update of my laptop to Windows10 Home version 22H2 without crashing.  Yay!yes  Finally, version 22H2, 'bout time.frown  But, but, does that mean that my laptop is NOT on it's last legs yet?surprise  Bummer, no new laptop for me then!broken heart

edited December 2022

Media question:  What is a simple solution for a non-smart TV with HDMI inputs but without a LAN port, and the "Spectrum" cable company's modem/router boxes do not provide an HDMI output for the TV?  Is there a simple black box that will do the trick?  A solution I've used before is to insert a smart DVD or smart Blu-Ray player between the router and the TV so that I can use the HDMI output of the player.  However, this is not a good solution in this case because its for someone only inches away from being a luddite, who would get very confused with the extra operations.sad

edited December 2022

Sfariah said:

I want to replace my laptop's HDD with a 2 TB or bigger SSD HDD.  I'm afraid it will be expensive and I would have to reinstall everything!

Is the HDD replaceable? i.e. does it have a removable cover or do you have to pry the computer case apart?

Expensive is relative.indecision

It's possible to not have to reinstall everything.  There are programs that will clone your existing HDD to your new SSD and tweak the setting in your computer to simply replace the drive after it's been cloned.  I recommend drive manufacturers Samsung or Crucial, and then download their cloning tool.  For Samsung it's called "Magician".  I forgot what it's called for Crucial.  Although, there are other 3rd party cloning applications too, but if you get the one offered by your SDD manufacturer it will probably be the more convenient to use to clone and report status your new SSD.  There are lots of YouTube videos about how to do it.  

edited December 2022

...I get excited about buying tech stuff as well, however that soon passes as I can't afford it on my income.  The upgrade I am looking at (with W10 Pro) will be around 1,400$ which is more than my monthly income (even given next year's SS Living Cost Adjustment) most of which goes to rent, bills, and other necessities.

Need to come up with something soon as Google's going to drop W7 support sometime next month.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,549

LeatherGryphon said:

Media question:  What is a simple solution for a non-smart TV with HDMI inputs but without a LAN port, and the "Spectrum" cable company's modem/router boxes do not provide an HDMI output for the TV?  Is there a simple black box that will do the trick?  A solution I've used before is to insert a smart DVD or smart Blu-Ray player between the router and the TV so that I can use the HDMI output of the player.  However, this is not a good solution in this case because its for someone only inches away from being a luddite, who would get very confused with the extra operations.sad

It sounds like you're saying you need audio and video output from a cable modem to a TV. Why? There must be a missing piece of what the actual problem is.

edited December 2022

NylonGirl said:

LeatherGryphon said:

It sounds like you're saying you need audio and video output from a cable modem to a TV. Why? There must be a missing piece of what the actual problem is.

Cable company "Spectrum" TV/Internet/phone coax cable comes into the house and plugs into their modem box.  Their modem box doesn't have HDMI or composite video output connectors.  A cable goes from the modem to a WiFi/LAN router which then connects to the LAN input on a smart TV.  Somewhere in this concoction is her ROKU streaming service too.indecision  But then her smart TV died.sad  So, her son brought down an older non-smart TV that has HDMI inputs but no LAN or WiFi inputs.   Unable to resolve the issue on their own, I was called in as the local expertblush.  What I saw when I got there was intuitively obvious, a LAN cable with no hole in which to put it.surprise  In fact I have a similar situation up in my bedroom.  My TV service comes through my Internet.  There is no hard LAN cable upstairs but I do broadcast WiFi.  My upstairs TV is not smart and has no LAN input anyway.  I solved the problem by buying a WiFi device that receives my broadcast WiFi signals and converts it to a hard LAN cable.  Then I plugged that hard LAN cable into the LAN input of a smart Blu-Ray device, and ran it's HDMI output to the non-smart TV.  Ta-da..., problem solved, for me.yes  Unfortunately, the complication is that I have to turn on my Blu-Ray drive and select the proper inputs & outputs on the various devices using their particular remote controls.  Easy-peasy for a computer scientist, but blindingly daunting for a luddite.  You should have seen the trouble her family and I have gone throught to get her to be able to use the simplest features of a smart phone and even how to change programs on a TV streaming service.surprise  Doubly difficult for me because they (her family) all only use Macintosh devices, and I am blissfully and totally ignorant of anything Apple-ish, ROKU-ish, or Spectrum-ish.  Consequently I am in the dark and we have trouble understanding each other.frown

Of course, a simple solution to the TV problem is to go buy a new smart TV.  But difficult to do when you're on a very limited budget, and she is, and lives alone now that her husband, who used to do all the gizmo massaging, and channel surfing, has died.indecision  

And of course, another solution would be to get something like a "FireTV" device that receives broadcast WiFi TV data from her Spectrum devices(yes, it's working), converts it to HDMI and gives you access to Amazon FireTV streaming service.  But that is problematic for her because she has a long term pricing deal with Spectrum she doesn't want to lose or incur additional expenses by unnecessarily duplicating a serviceindecision.

I'm retired, I wish people would stop making these types of things my problem.wink

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,008

kyoto kid said:

...I get excited about buying tech stuff as well, however that soon passes as I can't afford it on my income.  The upgrade I am looking at (with W10 Pro) will be around 1,400$ which is more than my monthly income (even given next year's SS Living Cost Adjustment) most of which goes to rent, bills, and other necessities.

Need to come up with something soon as Google's going to drop W7 support sometime next month.

Do you really need to eat?... Plants stopped that nonsense long ago, forsaking pork chops and all-you-can-eat Golden Corral buffets for chlorophyll... Your average tree or shrub saves thousands of dollars per year just sitting in the sun for a few hours every day, thus freeing up a huge chunk of income for vacations, hobbies and sexy lingerie.

And now with the latest wellness trend being "Chlorophyll Water" presumably you can start benefiting from what plants have known for years, possibly even longer... 

What is Chlorophyll Water?... Green water... with stuff in it... presumably stuff with chlorophyll in it like algae or food coloring... maybe pressed lawn clippings?... who knows... it's a mystery nobody has a clear answer to, but hot young influencers with "glowing skin" attest to its miraculous powers, so if someone who has attained the vaunted title of "Influencer" is promoting something, you know it must be safe and miraculous.

Why Chlorophyll Water?... Why the hell not?... You doing something better?... You too good for green mystery water?

Is Chlorophyll Water Safe?... Have you ever swam in the ocean, a lake or a pool at an Econo-Lodge or Days Inn?... Then you've been in green water with chlorophyll in it and therefore, shut up and don't ask questions... If it wasn't safe would it be sold on the internet?... By total strangers with no medical, nutritional or scientific background who are getting paid to promote it? ... What in life is safe anyway?... Oxygen is extremely explosive and we breath it most of the time and you don't see people exploding a lot... You could literally be struck by a meteor any moment and you are worrying about the safety of green mystery water?

What are the benefits of Chlorophyll Water?... It's a health trend and all health trends are known to provide lasting trendy health benefits that while seemingly impossible to detect, having lasting invisible benefits known only to those willing to believe they exist and those promoting them... and with Chlorophyll Water, exhaustive minimal cursory lab observations have revealed that these benefits can be anything you imagine, because the power to dream is in each of us if we only believe in ourselves hard enough.

Does Chlorophyll Water work?... Sure... it's water and it's green and it's probably not overly poisonous, so what's not working there?

Will Chlorophyll Water turn my skin green?... That's a culturally insensitive question that shows a bias against green life forms and I'm not going to even going to entertain such myopic and vegetation prejudiced thinking with an answer. 
    But, probably not.

Are there side effects to Chlorophyll Water?... Not really... Just a chance of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloating, discolored stool and skin irritation and possibly a touch of Plantae Lycanthropy... the real question is "What are the side effects of not using Chlorophyll Water?"... Which is immediately obvious: Being a social pariah, being uncool, not being trendy, rejecting social pressure, ignoring your responsibilities to contribute to a "healthy economy" by spending money on what you are told to, not being green, being a closed minded jerk, being insensitive to plant culture and rejecting its values and contributions, and having people point and you and whisper behind your back because it's obvious you don't drink Chlorophyll Water.

Is Chlorophyll Water cheap?... Are you?... What are you implying?... is your "health" and coolness not worth spending blindly on?

So there you have it... now I'm not guaranteeing Chlorophyll Water will eliminate the need for you to eat or won't actually kill you, but it's green and if you subscribe to the concept that stuff that looks similar must be similar, like how quarters sticking to someone's forehead must be attributed to magnetism not poor hygiene, then this will be guaranteed to work for you as long as you believe in it or until you are bored with it and find a different new health trend... So stop wasting money on food and waste it on Chlorophyll water instead.

You won't be dissatisfied... disappointed, angry, feeling cheated, probably very hungry... but not dissatisfied.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,103

laugh

Is it Christmas yet?

This discussion has been closed.