The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited November 2022

Non-complaint:  Wheee..., My new phone is up and running.  Not completely re-configured, but just a few more apps to download, and I've secured it into its new protective case.yes  My old phone number has been transfered to new phone.  And just in time too.  The old phone now can't hold it's battery charge for more than about 10 hours.no  I liked my old phone, it was small enough to stick in my pocket easily, new enough to run all the apps I need, and I had really gotten familiar with it.  However, the new phone is bigger (1/2 in taller, 1/4 in wider), the text keyboard panel is bigger and easier for my fat fingers to use without error, it has all the features of the old phone, a newer version of Android ((11 vs 10), and a better camera system.  So, I'll get used to it, eventually, despite it being a bit unwieldy in my pocket.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,221

I don't know why it just now occurred to me how crazy it is that it's common practice in mobile game marketing to just flat-out lie about what your game is.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited November 2022

Some dreary November pix...

Across the street from my kid's school...

Meanwhile... Down by the beach...

Too bad I can't upload an Apple "Live Photo"... that last photo is a frame extracted from a Live Photo, the whole clip shows the water sequentially blasting upwards out of the breaker wall as the wave approaches the shore... 

Also, you'd get to see my daughter who was standing next to me, but on the breaker get soaking wet as she was trying to get a cool action shot of the water... You can't really tell, but the water is shooting about five or six feet up in the air in columns about 1.5 ft x 3 ft... 

In her defense, this one went straight down the line full force, but most of the geysers didn't make it all the way to where she was.

She realized at the last moment and went to run but the water followed her.

It was kinda funny.... but we were all soaked anyway because you can't really tell, but it's pouring and the wind was probably like 25 or 30 mph... (according to the local weather forecast) but the raindrops really stung, and generally it doesn't feel that bad until around 40 mph... but she definitely got the worst of it.

Post edited by McGyver on

frank0314 said:

I hear ya there and I have a nut allergy so any more and I'm in trouble

Then modding my posts is really dangerous for you... You are a brave man indeed good sir.

Gordig said:

I don't know why it just now occurred to me how crazy it is that it's common practice in mobile game marketing to just flat-out lie about what your game is.

Yeah, that's pretty frustrating... honestly most publishers tend to be a little light in the honesty department... I usually don't get a game until I see a video of the gameplay... Even reviews can be misleading due to fandom or rosy opinion.

edited November 2022

JasmineSkunk said:

Peek-a-Boo!

Aaaaaaaah!!

Ghost!!

Wait... You aren't a ghost...  you just fled to Canadia last I remember...

I haven't seen a post from you in ages... I figured the authorities finally tracked you down and you were bottling maple syrup in a Canadianese prison somewhere.

Or was that someone else who was running a panda smuggling ring?

Either way, I remember a JasmineSkunk, but it's also quite possible I imagined one and you are a different, non-panda smuggling one who has never been to Canadia... Also your avatar appears human and I was pretty sure the JasmineSkunk I remembered was a six foot tall anthropomorphic skunk who rode around on roller blades with a ornate poleaxe, meting out justice to evildoers... which kinda conflicts with the panda smuggling.. especially since most panda smugglers avoid using roller blades...

Unless you were framed by your nemesis Dr. Fudgemonkey... 

I really should have taken notes or something... sometimes people go missing for long periods of time and I forget key details about them and transpose memories of hallucinations I've had with stuff they've said or I thought was implied by what they've said and then after that long absence they make a post and I think they are a sentient octopus who's hobbies were riding bicycles and collecting headless Hummel figurines.

Well, whatever, I'm glad you are okay or at least on parole or something... it's good to hear from you and I hope you stick around.

I meant that last part in a nice way... not that I hope your life is so devoid of anything interesting that you have to come here for entertainment...

Thats pretty sad.

Not that everyone here isn't entertaining and really great company...

Its just there this crazy guy who hangs around here who keeps making random weird posts about penguin based conspiracies and a shadow society of feline provocateurs who are manipulating humankind for unknown reas...

Oh... wait...  that's me...
    Yeah, I'm pretty much the one ruining this thread... 

Never mind... 

Well... good to hear from you again, especially if you are real and I didn't hallucinate you.

And if you are a hallucination, say hello to Dr. Fudgemonkey for me.

Cheers!

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

McGyver..   no weather here as dramatic as yours, but its -18C with a windchill of -28C, with light snow.  Tomorrow the low is forecast to be -26C..

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092

hacsart said:

McGyver..   no weather here as dramatic as yours, but its -18C with a windchill of -28C, with light snow.  Tomorrow the low is forecast to be -26C..

Eeek!  Keep that away from me!

Dana 

hacsart said:

Yeesh... That's Yeti weather. It was windy here, but it was also 55°F/12°C... which wasn't so bad... not great when you are literally soaking wet, but still not a negative number in Cs or Fs.

edited December 2022

Weather Report:  After the big snowfall here (18 inches) last week, it all melted away in the last several days of rain.  But last night the continuing rain turned to snow and this morning there is 4 inches again.  Must be something about this time of the year that makes that happen.devil  But one day last week, after most of the snow had melted I did toddle on up to the grocery store again and stocked up on perishables (bread, milk, fruit & salad stuff, so I'm all warm & comfy, and sip my hot chocolate watching the snowplows, clear the gray mush from the street.smiley

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,728

I want to renew my pc membership but I don't know if I can afford 3 month's membership right now.

• Sfariah said:

I want to renew my pc membership but I don't know if I can afford 3 month's membership right now.

During the Black Friday  sale I got the annual membership for $15.75 (which is less than the cost of quarterly)  

edited December 2022

Ugh... This... over and over...

300% MATCH UNLOCKED!!!

400% MATCH UNLOCKED!!!

QUADRUPLE YOUR IMPACT ACTIVATED!!!

URGENT REQUEST TO UNLOCK MATCH!!!

Bro... Fer reelz?

What does that all even mean?... I've tried to understand what these emails are implying is "locked" and how my giving anything would help "UNLOCK!!!" anything... and after a bit of research my confuzzlement was confirmed as legitimate.

Nothing is in fact "Locked"...

The general implication (it's never clear) in the emails is there's either a group of wealthy donors or a pool of donor money that will be unlocked once a specific goal amount is reached... But again, that's never laid out, explained or detailed, just nebulously implied.

So how would that work?... presumably it would either require a sophisticated system in which ordinary donors were linked with wealthy donors or in the case of a monetary pool, some entity that is holding the money until that goal is reached and if that goal is not reached, it then what... gives back the money?... how do either of those two scenarios actually even work or make sense?... 

They don't because it's not a thing in these situations, or in general... it's basically trying to imply some system akin to when you do a charity run, walk or bike-a-thon where YOU go to people you know and get them to pledge an amount that increases the more miles you accumulate or if you complete the full circuit... 

Am I to believe there is some dude calling a billionaire up and saying "Mr. Xavier Billionaire, Joseph Fudgemonkey* just donated $200, to our cause and you have to send us that check for $800..." 

Not surprisingly there is no such system in place and never any explanation of how any of that is being tallied or who is holding these funds "locked"... just an urgent plea to help "unlock" them before (usually) "11:59 tomorrow"... 

Fer real... or else what? You start shooting the money in increments of $1k every ten minutes until a different goal is met?

Once you get past all the exclamation points in these emails they are really kind of stupid and insulting.

Its really some seriously weak crap.

If there is a cause or charity you wish to support, then donate DIRECTLY to them, not the clowns who send these emails, who are 99% of the time a fundraiser company that has all the integrity and charm of a festering meadow muffin.

Direct donation directly benefits the charity or cause, not the clowns charging them to run these e-mail blitzkriegs who take a percentage from your donation when you contribute through them.

THANK YOU FOR YOU SUPPORT AND FOR READING THIS URGENT REQUEST!!

I KNOW YOU'LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

PLEASE TAKE AN EXCLAMATION POINT AS A SIGN OF OUR GRATITUDE**...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* No relation to Doctor Philip J. Fudgemonkey.

** For each exclamation point you take, the Exclamation Point Fairies will add six to our supply of exclamation points, so take as many as you'd like so we can continue to make everything seem urgent!!!!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited December 2022

On matching.  I missed a matching time and I feel bad about it.  I give to a community organization every year.  I don't live there anymore, but the founder and original administrator was a good friend.  Yes, some rich person donated 'up to...' some amount to incentive others to give on the Giving Tuesday that follows Thanksgiving.  Before the end of the year, I will still give my usual amount, but it is possible the net to the community organization will be less than it could have been if the rich person's potential maximum is not reached without me.  sad

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 2022

It's that time of year again, when the begging begins.  If not from children, or entitled relatives, or politicians, it could be from services you enjoy that claim to be in eternally dismal financial condition and only you can save them.surprise  I contribute about once every five years to the Buffalo classical radio station WNED  that has again sent me a letter threatening doom and absence unless I toss a couple hundred dollars (or at least pennies) into their pile.  I'd like to, because there are so few good 24/7 classical radio stations left in the US.  But it's not in the cards this year.sad  Perhaps the stars will align by time of their next on-air, all-week, begging session 6 months from now.indecision

Great music, good classical DJs with wonderful information about the music and composers.  The way I figure it, $200 over 5 years is cheap entertainment at $3.33/month.yes  although, one year, my donation netted me a 40th year WNED anniversary coffee mug that I use as a pen holder on my desk.  Wheee..., booty.smiley  But until then, I still can hear it live for free on the radio, AND on the Internet.yes 

WNED on-line:   https://tunein.com/radio/WNED-Classical-945-s21414/ ;

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391

McGyver said:

Some dreary November pix...

Across the street from my kid's school...

Meanwhile... Down by the beach...

Too bad I can't upload an Apple "Live Photo"... that last photo is a frame extracted from a Live Photo, the whole clip shows the water sequentially blasting upwards out of the breaker wall as the wave approaches the shore... 

Also, you'd get to see my daughter who was standing next to me, but on the breaker get soaking wet as she was trying to get a cool action shot of the water... You can't really tell, but the water is shooting about five or six feet up in the air in columns about 1.5 ft x 3 ft... 

In her defense, this one went straight down the line full force, but most of the geysers didn't make it all the way to where she was.

She realized at the last moment and went to run but the water followed her.

It was kinda funny.... but we were all soaked anyway because you can't really tell, but it's pouring and the wind was probably like 25 or 30 mph... (according to the local weather forecast) but the raindrops really stung, and generally it doesn't feel that bad until around 40 mph... but she definitely got the worst of it.

You say Dreary,  but I quite like them :D  

Non-complaint myself;   INSYDIUM  was having a 50% off sale for their plugin  so I jumped at grabbing that.  

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

McGyver said:

300% MATCH UNLOCKED!!!

400% MATCH UNLOCKED!!!

Bro... Fer reelz?

What does that all even mean?... I've tried to understand what these emails are implying is "locked" and how my giving anything would help "UNLOCK!!!" anything... and after a bit of research my confuzzlement was confirmed as legitimate.

The general implication (it's never clear) in the emails is there's either a group of wealthy donors or a pool of donor money that will be unlocked once a specific goal amount is reached... But again, that's never laid out, explained or detailed, just nebulously implied.

So how would that work?... presumably it would either require a sophisticated system in which ordinary donors were linked with wealthy donors or in the case of a monetary pool, some entity that is holding the money until that goal is reached and if that goal is not reached, it then what... gives back the money?... how do either of those two scenarios actually even work or make sense?... 

They don't because it's not a thing in these situations, or in general... it's basically trying to imply some system akin to when you do a charity run, walk or bike-a-thon where YOU go to people you know and get them to pledge an amount that increases the more miles you accumulate or if you complete the full circuit... 

Am I to believe there is some dude calling a billionaire up and saying "Mr. Xavier Billionaire, Joseph Fudgemonkey* just donated $200, to our cause and you have to send us that check for $800..." 

Not surprisingly there is no such system in place and never any explanation of how any of that is being tallied or who is holding these funds "locked"... just an urgent plea to help "unlock" them before (usually) "11:59 tomorrow"... 

Fer real... or else what? You start shooting the money in increments of $1k every ten minutes until a different goal is met?

Once you get past all the exclamation points in these emails they are really kind of stupid and insulting.

Its really some seriously weak crap.

If there is a cause or charity you wish to support, then donate DIRECTLY to them, not the clowns who send these emails, who are 99% of the time a fundraiser company that has all the integrity and charm of a festering meadow muffin.

Direct donation directly benefits the charity or cause, not the clowns charging them to run these e-mail blitzkriegs who take a percentage from your donation when you contribute through them.

THANK YOU FOR YOU SUPPORT AND FOR READING THIS URGENT REQUEST!!

I KNOW YOU'LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

PLEASE TAKE AN EXCLAMATION POINT AS A SIGN OF OUR GRATITUDE**...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* No relation to Doctor Philip J. Fudgemonkey.

** For each exclamation point you take, the Exclamation Point Fairies will add six to our supply of exclamation points, so take as many as you'd like so we can continue to make everything seem urgent!!!!!

...being a "concerned citizen" I get these all the time particularly during election years and those "Giving Tuesday" events like occurred earlier this week.  There was an article I read a while back that delved into this and how it is used to solicit donations by getting people to feel like their piddly little 5$ or 10$ contribution will amount to something important 

While these somehow skirt false advertising, it doesn't mean Mr. Moneybags, or Acme Corporation will chip in a separate multiple of what you dug out from under the sofa cushions or found in a pocket while sorting clothes for the laundry. 

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

Online course that I am taking has very poor examples and explainations.  Thankfully the course is free or else I would quit right now out of fustration.

• Cousin Gary, the squirrel gunner!  He evolved.  I stayed medieval.wink

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,728

kyoto kid said:

Lol!  So funny!  Though I am not sure why I find it that way? 

• Complaint #1:  Weather forecast here shows little snowflakes under dark clouds for the next 7 days.frown

Complaint #2:  My new phone case has a protective glass on the front (& back).  The glass material is subtly different than the glass on the phone itself, and shows fingerprints annoyingly easily.frown  My old phone case had no such protective glass.

Complaint #3:   Also, the clear glass on the back of the new case reveals a sticker on the back of the phone showing the model & serial #'s and IMEI # (and others) of the phone.  Not that I'm worried someone will steal the phone ID and clone it, but that the off-kilter white sticker on the back of the black phone looks ugly through the back glass.  (Esthetics, the bane of a certain type of gay man.)  Yeah, I could tear/scrape it off, but what if that sticker info is needed in the future by some technician in the future?indecision

edited December 2022

kyoto kid said:

That's beautiful... and another vivid reminder of why we should not experiment with using squirrels as genetically modified super-soldiers.

As adorable as they are, it always ends up with a rebellion or worse.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

i forgot how slow Iray is when rendering pictures larger than 1024 x 768 pixels on an Intel core I5 procressor without CUDA cores.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,020

Happy December 2! 

Today is:

National Bartender Day

National Mutt Day

There were others but these are my favs.

edited December 2022

...national barkeep day.?  Hmm, haven't been to the corner pub for a while and today is "payday".

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ZyloxZylox Posts: 787

TJohn said:

Happy December 2! 

Today is:

National Bartender Day

National Mutt Day

Can we combine them? I want a scruffy dog serving me drinks today.

edited December 2022

Zylox said:

TJohn said:

Happy December 2! 

Today is:

National Bartender Day

National Mutt Day

Can we combine them? I want a scruffy dog serving me drinks today.

...there was a pub called the Beach Club over on the Oregon Coast where there was a dog named "BC" who would fetch a bottle of beer for you when the barkeep asked him to.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

kyoto kid said:

McGyver said:

300% MATCH UNLOCKED!!!

400% MATCH UNLOCKED!!!

Bro... Fer reelz?

- - - - - - - -  snipped!

...being a "concerned citizen" I get these all the time particularly during election years and those "Giving Tuesday" events like occurred earlier this week.  There was an article I read a while back that delved into this and how it is used to solicit donations by getting people to feel like their piddly little 5$ or 10$ contribution will amount to something important 

While these somehow skirt false advertising, it doesn't mean Mr. Moneybags, or Acme Corporation will chip in a separate multiple of what you dug out from under the sofa cushions or found in a pocket while sorting clothes for the laundry. 

I started seeing a few services start doing this too,  and it's like... As 'gyver said:  "For reelz?"    One of them actually had its suggested donation start at $238.  Not  $15,  or $25,   but two hundred and it grew from there.  Like who do they think they're pitching that to??

Unrelated 'complaint.

It'd be really nice if there was a (Cinema4D) plugin or script  to automatically put PSR Constraints onto a figure that has matching joint names.
    Because in Poser/DAZStudio all you need to do to bind say a clothing outfit is click conform,  if it doesn't auto-conform already when you load it onto a figure.  In Cinema4D,  it's  apply a Constraint Tag onto every clothing joint then manually drag the character's joints into each clothing joint  one by one.  Not a big deal if there's only a handful of joints, but its tiresome all the same  :/ 

I'd take a stab at it myself if I knew anything about Python.

A non-complaint is this's making me really think about moving up from R23 to the newest and latest version:

This discussion has been closed.