Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255

Wel! Some of the conversion tools that people have been waiting for seem to have finally hit the store. Pricy though, and there hasn't been a GC sale in a while. I'm going to have to think about this...

• JOdel said:

Wel! Some of the conversion tools that people have been waiting for seem to have finally hit the store. Pricy though, and there hasn't been a GC sale in a while. I'm going to have to think about this...

I was trying not to buy anything this weekend but they really made it impossible. Bought the bundle along with BirthStone's beautiful hair. Now I'm happily broke.

• backgroundbackground Posts: 360

JOdel said:

If they were G9 to G8 conversions I would most likely buy them, but it's ok because my old G8 characters still work as well as ever.

• kervalakervala Posts: 184

It's a good surprise to see G9 -> G8 characters converters, I will buy both of them. But I'm surprised that textures are not converted, just placed on a conforming suit. To convert my characters, I'm using Jay's method explaning on Youtube and, for textures, I'm using Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro that even has a tutorial for G8 -> G9 textures conversion : https://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/tutorial_uv_mapping_repaint_mesh3.aspx

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,801

I'm happy for those who already use G9! I'm sure this is a welcome tool in the box. yes

I can't say the conversion tools look strong enough for me to change my mind about staying with G8.

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,053
    Some of those conversion promos look... bad. Girl 8 and Brute 8, for example. The process seems to be inflicting G9F's arm issues on the G8F shapes and G9M's chest issues on the G8M shapes. Can't tell at a glance if G9's neck and upper back issues are warping the shape, so maybe "good enough" on that point, but overall I'm definitely not sold on converting the much better looking G8 figures to G9.
  • ioonrxoonioonrxoon Posts: 886
    edited May 2023

The only thing I'm interested in seeing is a G9 to G8 skin converter that doesn't use geografts or any such things that interfere with hd morphs.

Post edited by ioonrxoon on

ioonrxoon said:

The only thing I'm interested in seeing is a G9 to G8 skin converter that doesn't use geografts or any such things that interfere with hd morphs.

The only simple method I found is using Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro and following this tutorial : https://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/tutorial_uv_mapping_repaint_mesh3.aspx

Thanks to it, I converted all my G8 characters to G9 :) I saved a scene with G8F and G9 properly posed and I only have to apply materials on G8F and export it in u3D format.

And of course, it also works to convert G9 skins for G8, you just need to invert the source and destinations files :)

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 196

I tried my best with the converter for a couple of hours without managing a single at least remotely successful conversion. Hence I requested a refund. I say this needs tons of work until it is usable.

Laurita said:

I tried my best with the converter for a couple of hours without managing a single at least remotely successful conversion. Hence I requested a refund. I say this needs tons of work until it is usable.

Argh :(

Did you already try this method ? https://www.versluis.com/2022/11/how-to-convert-genesis-8-characters-to-genesis-9-using-the-fit-suit-method/

I'm currently using that method and I plan to purchase the converters, and I hope they'll work better than the manual method, since we have to adjust the rigging, the eyes, the mouth, etc... manually.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,347

FSMCDesigns said:

caravelle said:

What is it with Herschel Hoffmeyer and his strange penchant for 'cosmetic' surgery? Sorry, but his 'Lexi' looks like a pron star after the 26th operation, plus Botox. Creepy. How wonderfully creepy, on the other hand, are his dinosaurs! Real masterpieces. Too bad he only does that 'sexy' stuff now. But if it sells well... You don't want to work for free, after all. 

'Subtle Expressions Angela 9 Edition' looks good. But is it really only for Angela 9? I thought the days of tying products (materials, clothes, poses, or expressions) to individual basic models were thankfully over...

Funny, I consider wanting 'normal, average, boring" looking characters to be strange, then again I understand everyone being used to what they see around them daily and that influencing what they want in 3D. I happen to see these stylized type of women all the time in real life. I picked up Lexi first thing when I got home from work along with the new heels in the store, love them both and with the extra 30% off coupon it was a no brainer!

Of course, I don't want to dictate to anyone what they should find beautiful or what they should enjoy. It is simply my own personal taste. People, whether women or men, have always messed with themselves and their looks; there's nothing special about that. 

If you think Lexi is great and Herschel Hoffmeyer enjoys the genre, then that's just the way it is. I own the 'Mystique' series myself; something about it is actually fascinating. And Hoffmeyer is just great.

kervala said:

Laurita said:

Did you already try this method ? https://www.versluis.com/2022/11/how-to-convert-genesis-8-characters-to-genesis-9-using-the-fit-suit-method/

I'm currently using that method and I plan to purchase the converters, and I hope they'll work better than the manual method, since we have to adjust the rigging, the eyes, the mouth, etc... manually.

I use it quite a bit and it is working flawlessly. I was simply curious if the converter could streamline the process and maybe bring something new to the table. Which it didn't - at least not in a good way. ;-)

Laurita said:

kervala said:

Laurita said:

I use it quite a bit and it is working flawlessly. I was simply curious if the converter could streamline the process and maybe bring something new to the table. Which it didn't - at least not in a good way. ;-)

Thanks a lot for your feedback :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

kervala said:

ioonrxoon said:

The only simple method I found is using Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro and following this tutorial : https://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/tutorial_uv_mapping_repaint_mesh3.aspx

Thanks to it, I converted all my G8 characters to G9 :) I saved a scene with G8F and G9 properly posed and I only have to apply materials on G8F and export it in u3D format.

And of course, it also works to convert G9 skins for G8, you just need to invert the source and destinations files :)

WOW,, that's so cool. I've been using UUPPro for years now.  It's obvious that he's a fan of Genesis and knows what he's doing!  Great tutorial!

RAMWolff said:

kervala said:

ioonrxoon said:

WOW,, that's so cool. I've been using UUPPro for years now.  It's obvious that he's a fan of Genesis and knows what he's doing!  Great tutorial!

I agree :) And it also works to convert all geoshells textures from G8 products so no need to purchase a G9 version (we just need to use them as G8 body materials):)

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,035
    edited May 2023

tsroemi said:

FenixPhoenix said:

jd641 said:

FenixPhoenix said:

I bought this and tested it for some promos and I can't stress how good this product is: https://www.daz3d.com/expression-fusion. Making good expressions have never been so easy, love it and highly recommend it! <3

I saw this and it really got my attention but some of those mouth expressions just seem physically impossible to make and look really strange to me, so I held off on buying it.

They are actually great for mixing and matching. I haven't used any expression dialed to the full. But combining those dials is fantastic and gives the character a lot of personality. I'll see if I can share a render or two during the weekend. After all, an image says a thousand words.

I'd love to see some renders, too, if you can find the time. The expression set is tempting as I'm struggling so much to get good expressions with G9, but most of them do look rather extreme, It'd be great to see some mixes! 

Ok, so for those interested @lou_harper, @jd641, @benniewoodell, and @tsroemi, here are some renders of a couple of characters using only expression fusion to build the expressions. I'm not the best at building expressions, but I was satisfied with these ones. Of course, a more proficient person could probably do way better things than me, I'm sure. I really like that the lower and upper expressions are separate and you could, of course, always mix it with other expression packs. The dials are excellent for subtle expressions, btw. Though here I'm trying to show the range. I had already done the girl render, so I didn't get the settings for that one, but you get the gist. Hope this helps! :)

AkhaneMix-Expressions.jpg
    1500 x 1730 - 1M
    Expressions-Subtle.jpg
    1500 x 1730 - 2M
    Kratos-Expressions.jpg
    2997 x 1500 - 4M
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  • mdingmding Posts: 1,144

A couple of days ago i wrote here, that the https://www.daz3d.com/cypress-lane environment from predatron was "tiny" (i recommended it).

Now i apologize for that, i had overlooked, how big the cypress trees were, they are HUGE, as shows my render below (click to enlarge). Accordingly, the whole environment is much bigger than i perceived at first sight. And more taxing considering render times. Of course i recommend it, you can do a lot with it, it's a beauty!

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,907

FenixPhoenix said:

tsroemi said:

FenixPhoenix said:

jd641 said:

FenixPhoenix said:

I bought this and tested it for some promos and I can't stress how good this product is: https://www.daz3d.com/expression-fusion. Making good expressions have never been so easy, love it and highly recommend it! <3

I saw this and it really got my attention but some of those mouth expressions just seem physically impossible to make and look really strange to me, so I held off on buying it.

They are actually great for mixing and matching. I haven't used any expression dialed to the full. But combining those dials is fantastic and gives the character a lot of personality. I'll see if I can share a render or two during the weekend. After all, an image says a thousand words.

I'd love to see some renders, too, if you can find the time. The expression set is tempting as I'm struggling so much to get good expressions with G9, but most of them do look rather extreme, It'd be great to see some mixes! 

Ok, so for those interested @lou_harper, @jd641, @benniewoodell, and @tsroemi, here are some renders of a couple of characters using only expression fusion to build the expressions. I'm not the best at building expressions, but I was satisfied with these ones. Of course, a more proficient person could probably do way better things than me, I'm sure. I really like that the lower and upper expressions are separate and you could, of course, always mix it with other expression packs. The dials are excellent for subtle expressions, btw. Though here I'm trying to show the range. I had already done the girl render, so I didn't get the settings for that one, but you get the gist. Hope this helps! :)

Oh wow, these look great! Thanks so much for taking the time to post these with your settings, I always enjoy seeing how other folks make tweaks as it gives me ideas as well. Totally picking this up. Have a great weekend! 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,409

@FenixPhoenix, thanks a bunch from me as well, these are some very good renders! And the expressions do look awesome.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,035

My pleasure!

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,083

Looks good!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,269

Do today's SUVs have any rigging beyond apparently being able to rotate the front wheels? None of the promos for the one that I checked showed the doors open or anything like that.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,925

https://www.daz3d.com/pw-the-white-palace

impressive and price not surprising

you would need a 4090 to render it

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,738

Gordig said:

Do today's SUVs have any rigging beyond apparently being able to rotate the front wheels? None of the promos for the one that I checked showed the doors open or anything like that.

From the description they must be intended as scene fillers (low poly, 2k-8k texture options), and we can use other vehicles as our main car. But they are all so similar that it's hard to see why we would need three.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,144

Did anybody create some artwork with https://www.daz3d.com/koo-virgil-hd-for-genesis-9?

Just curious, as he looks promising and very versatile.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,570
    edited May 2023

xyer0 said:

Gordig said:

From the description they must be intended as scene fillers (low poly, 2k-8k texture options), and we can use other vehicles as our main car. But they are all so similar that it's hard to see why we would need three.

Pretty pricey for scene fillers, but at least they are not made toony or distorted way beyond realistic looking.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,570

WendyLuvsCatz said:

How does one drive an extended limo in front of the stairs? 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I looked at it and thought that while this is a huge and impressive environment it is just soooooo ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,925

Laurita said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I looked at it and thought that while this is a huge and impressive environment it is just soooooo ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. 

I agree it's crass but also real places like that exist and those making visual novels with rich tycoons and playmates will love it 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,145

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Laurita said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I agree it's crass but also real places like that exist and those making visual novels with rich tycoons and playmates will love it 

My biggest beef with stuff like this is that the outside textures are too clean. Looks like a lego building. LOL