Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• generalgameplayinggeneralgameplaying Posts: 507
    edited May 2023

PixelSploiting said:

Technically speaking, the only thing you have to do to add an airlock between the crew and the cargo area is to put a sliding door in this floor opening leading to a cargo bay staircase. If you have this starship interior I linked before there are matching modular door panels in it because the transport ship reuses models and textures from this set for its crew living quarters. 

I'm going to remove crew quarters entirely because it's not something needed on a model that looks more like a transport shuttle. I'd rather have more cargo space there.

Oh right, i could rotate stuff ;). Never thought of that.

I think you are seeing this ship as a dropship, like there are many, just like with cargo. I see that use too, but given crew quarters, i'd make this a flexi-ship rather, capable of taking distances detached from fleet. Maybe the lower side thrusters indicate that it also is meant for planetary use, which makes sense, but i would also say, that they make sense for detached operations towards planets, while just turning around is done in other ways anyway. Really depends on the technology envisioned. Depending on the space travel scenario, medium distances often are no problem for a medium sized ship, but long distances may vary by technology available, also in terms of efficiency. (Large "propulsion" actually could be ion drives, or you have the rich man's ion drive, i.e. enclosed gravity bubble bending which is energy efficient to move ships and can easily be combined with some kind of ultra high speed ion-drive like propulsion for emergency, combat and strong gravity. Conveniently the bubble technology always is hidden inside of enclosed spaces, such as not visible parts of spaceships and round-ish robots.)

Tend to like to imagine the Star Jet as a mini-carrier, e.g. carrying four pocket star fighters and an extra separated section. Similarly the "light transport" is a full playground of sorts...

Post edited by generalgameplaying on
  • Porsimo said:

Hi, I just wanted to chime in to say that I'm happy to know my design is reasonable to you, and I also really appreciate your "complaints". You make very valid and good points, and some them I did think of, but since this project was my first attempt at doing a spaceship with a full interior, some of the design solutions were done in hindsight - like the airlock-, some were left undone and some didn't even come to my mind. That's why posts like yours are good and I will keep your points in mind for the future projects!

Much appreciated. I have all the compassion for artists keeping complexity at bay on either side as well, also considering questions of timing. Speaking of KISS...

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,134

Wish I could agree. Gave me the heebie-jeebies.

The one I liked was the Mediterranean Rustic Home. About as rustic as every other millionaire's shiny, sharp, polished 'Pied-a-terre', but quite nice for all that.

Regards,

Richard.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,146

https://www.daz3d.com/e3d-mayra-hd-for-genesis-9 looks very impressive IMO. I perceived it as a great step forward, when Mabel / Floyd / Nida / Mr. Woo / Mrs. Chow and the like broadened the range of elderly people in daz. Now we have so many character choices considering color, age etc. My decision to wait with G9 may start to crumble...

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,576

mding said:

https://www.daz3d.com/e3d-mayra-hd-for-genesis-9 looks very impressive IMO. I perceived it as a great step forward, when Mabel / Floyd / Nida / Mr. Woo / Mrs. Chow and the like broadened the range of elderly people in daz. Now we have so many character choices considering color, age etc. My decision to wait with G9 may start to crumble...

I'm not into characters, especially G9 ones, but she found a place in my cart. 

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148

She reminds me a bit of Michelle Pfeiffer in some of the promos! 

• richardandtracy said:

The one I liked was the Mediterranean Rustic Home. About as rustic as every other millionaire's shiny, sharp, polished 'Pied-a-terre', but quite nice for all that.

Regards,

Richard.

I think it's more uncanny valley factor with Kiri than with the expressions. Pixie 9 looks great whatever expressions she's making and that's a stylized character too.

richardandtracy said:

Apparently there must be a market for those...

I would like to see normal everyday interiors (not brand new, not big enough to house a football field and not meant for millionaires), that show signs of living and age. So far the only one fitting the category is the https://www.daz3d.com/european-style-apartment

If anyone ever made a woodmans or hunters log cabin that looked like it has been in use for 50 years without it being apocalyptic, it would find it's way into my cart under a millisecond.

That European Apartment is good, I agree. I am in two minds about wanting real looking interiors. I live in a very tatty interior and can't really get it to the point of having it look tidy. It's nice to see things that look less tatty. For myself I am less keen on 'Sharp and polished' for really living in. I hate echoes, I hate having cold feet due to hard polished floors. I hate bruises from sharp & hard edges and stubbed toes due to hitting hard furniture. So, even if I like the look, I know I could never live in a modernist millionaire's 'Pied-a-Terre'. Regards, Richard.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927

richardandtracy said:

That European Apartment is good, I agree. I am in two minds about wanting real looking interiors. I live in a very tatty interior and can't really get it to the point of having it look tidy. It's nice to see things that look less tatty. For myself I am less keen on 'Sharp and polished' for really living in. I hate echoes, I hate having cold feet due to hard polished floors. I hate bruises from sharp & hard edges and stubbed toes due to hitting hard furniture. So, even if I like the look, I know I could never live in a modernist millionaire's 'Pied-a-Terre'. Regards, Richard.

Home One is closest to my actual house cheeky but 3D I tend to render medieval cottages or Baroque palaces ...because wink

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Home One is closest to my actual house cheeky 

By showing the age, I didn't mean going back to Poser-era materials laugh 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,409

The European Apartment seems very well made, but to me personally, it's a nightmarish 1980s vision of everything I would not ever want to have in my real life or 3d world (and not bc of the zombie wink). It's really extremely outdated, and some things also strike me as not particularly European - like the sliding windows or the duvets which are not really duvets at all but rather day throws with a bit more thickness. The traditional duvets I know are massive and fluffy and filled with downs, like warm clouds. Anyways, it's very well made, like I said, I would much appreciate more 'normal', everyday rooms like this generally.

edited May 2023
    I rather think the European Apartment is very late 1960's early 1970's British in many ways. The furniture is cheaply designed and made, the style is tired and municipal, the windows are perfect for many British flats. The general style and grimness is captures everyday living in 1980's/1990's UK with an uncanny accuracy. The thin, non fluffy duvets are perfect for tired and flattened UK polyester duvets or counterpanes. It really feels authentic to me in most ways. The only inauthentic thing it the pin pattern on the power sockets... ;) Regards, Richard.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on

A first raw render with e3dmayra scientist/doctor/librarian style: She is as I had hoped, unfortunately I still lack everything g9...

v.png
    834 x 939 - 1M
  • ainm.sloinneadhainm.sloinneadh Posts: 234
    edited May 2023
    mding said:

A first raw render with e3dmayra scientist/doctor/librarian style: She is as I had hoped, unfortunately I still lack everything g9...

Nice! Will be a definite purchase for me too.

The European apartment reminds me of 60's/70's blocks in the suburbs of Southern European cities. Could easily be Rome. The anodised-esque coppery-gold window frames are spot on, as are the doors. That's a very Italian bathroom module too. The clincher is the bidet :D
    Post edited by ainm.sloinneadh on
  • LauritaLaurita Posts: 196

Stonemason's new Greenhouse is probably nice as always - but why should I buy it when I already have his beautifuul Private Garden?

Laurita said:

Stonemason's new Greenhouse is probably nice as always - but why should I buy it when I already have his beautifuul Private Garden?

The atmosphere is quite different imo, darker, older, mystic or meditative and more quiet/tranquil. I love the props of your private garden, you get a lot more, but personally I prefer the architecture and atmosphere of the greenhouse. Therefore i see a reason to buy both, but a new one only if you have a project of course.

BTW when clicking through the promo pics, thinking about what i would do with it i see suddenly this pic and am like "WHUTT?", being suddenly kicked out of all that serene atmosphere by stonemason, lol:

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,348

mding said:

BTW when clicking through the promo pics, thinking about what i would do with it i see suddenly this pic and am like "WHUTT?", being suddenly kicked out of all that serene atmosphere by stonemason, lol:

Stonemason's new Greenhouse looks very good, and now I'm considering whether I want the Private Garden or this new model - even though I don't value seeing martially costumed gentlemen prancing around my property.  ;-)

richardandtracy said:

I rather think the European Apartment is very late 1960's early 1970's British in many ways. The furniture is cheaply designed and made, the style is tired and municipal, the windows are perfect for many British flats. The general style and grimness is captures everyday living in 1980's/1990's UK with an uncanny accuracy. The thin, non fluffy duvets are perfect for tired and flattened UK polyester duvets or counterpanes. It really feels authentic to me in most ways. The only inauthentic thing it the pin pattern on the power sockets... ;) Regards, Richard.

I guess the problem is that there's no such thing as a 'European' appartment, and what was really meant was 'British' laugh 

caravelle said:

mding said:

Stonemason's new Greenhouse looks very good, and now I'm considering whether I want the Private Garden or this new model - even though I don't value seeing martially costumed gentlemen prancing around my property.  ;-)

It looks impressive, but I find it hard to understand the general layout of the place from the promos, and I do have four sets of greenhouses already.  Getting a bit much, especially considering that I haven't yet used any of them.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604

mding said:

Laurita said:

The atmosphere is quite different imo, darker, older, mystic or meditative and more quiet/tranquil. I love the props of your private garden, you get a lot more, but personally I prefer the architecture and atmosphere of the greenhouse. Therefore i see a reason to buy both, but a new one only if you have a project of course.

I am more interested in the soldier than the greenhouse since he doesn't look like anything sold in the DAZ store. Probably a rigged model from the normal 3D sites or a Stonemason exclusive.

• savagestugsavagestug Posts: 145

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard.

Agree. So not rustic. Nice model though.

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,053
    edited May 2023
    Doamna Dracula Headdress

Breathtaking. Horrifying. Beautiful.

Love it. Going into the next cart.

Edit: Oh, that's perfect - "666 items" on the New Releases page, headlined by Doamna Dracula and Shattered Glassy Grunge. ;)
    NR_666.png
    1080 x 2400 - 917K
    Post edited by doubledeviant on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,348

I LOVE The Row House models! When I saw the Doamna Dracula Headdress, I knew is was a Row House creation.

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,010

I've bought some/most of The Row House here and Rendo: I find their work amazing, even if I'm not sure I can use it. I love things that just make me laugh out loud (not in a bad way).

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,783

James_H said:

I've bought some/most of The Row House here and Rendo: I find their work amazing, even if I'm not sure I can use it. I love things that just make me laugh out loud (not in a bad way).

I tried like crazy to find images of the 1920s to 1940s musicals but gave up, then remembered Las Vegas. Check out this Google link for Glamour costumes of Las Vegas Shows. A chance to highlight the women of DAZ, the glamour outfits and The Row House head pieces in one.

btw, I hate the 'updated, improved' Google search. Can't find what I needed.

Mary

Bought Stonemason's new greenhouse, despite everything. It's just too beautiful. Played around with tokens and such, until I thought I got a very decent price for a new item. It's also nicely compact in terms of file size, I love that.

tsroemi said:

Bought Stonemason's new greenhouse, despite everything. It's just too beautiful. Played around with tokens and such, until I thought I got a very decent price for a new item. It's also nicely compact in terms of file size, I love that.

It is good to hear that file sizes are not too big. 

Now that you have five greenhouses - maybe life is trying to tell you to do a greenhouse - render, lol.

edited May 2023

mding said:

tsroemi said:

It is good to hear that file sizes are not too big. 

Now that you have five greenhouses - maybe life is trying to tell you to do a greenhouse - render, lol.

You know what, the idea has crossed my mind ...  laugh

Actual zip file size is 271 MB, so really quite small for a big set like this.

Post edited by tsroemi on