Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Laurita said:

I tried my best with the converter for a couple of hours without managing a single at least remotely successful conversion. Hence I requested a refund. I say this needs tons of work until it is usable.

Really? I haven't had much trouble with it honestly. Frankly though, I've only been converting DO characters. Some characters do NOT convert well (can't get a Spows character to convert to my liking), no matter what settings I use. I have not used the material converters yet because the G9 textures and shaders are so much better. If I do convert any textures, it'll be with UVUnwrap Pro :). 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,073
    edited May 2023

Laurita said:

I looked at it and thought that while this is a huge and impressive environment it is just soooooo ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. 

I agree. I do so wish producers of Palladian style buildings would at least read 'The Four Books of Architecture' by Andrea Palladio or the 1738 English translation (available from the Internet Archive for free). That way, they'd get a beautiful Palladian style building rather than an ugly pastiche. I actually have a paper copy of the Dover Publications reprint of the 1738 version in my paw at the moment (must put it down, it's hard to type with a 5lb book in one hand), and copies of books by Robert Adam (https://archive.org/details/gri_33125006415919/page/n5/mode/2up and https://archive.org/details/frick-31072003611433/page/n7/mode/2up) for another take on it and Chippendale/Hepplewhite furniture to furnish the mansion. That's the real deal, and easily available these days for free. So sad that so much effort went in to the model. I can recognise the effort and care that went into it (must have been huge, requiring dedication), I just wish the architect had more classical training.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,845

we are looking from a position of relative poverty and taste, the newly rich by nefarious means too often go for the garish and ostentatious

I am getting drug lord vibes myself

But.. when it comes to 3D modelling, good taste is no more expensive in terms of hours than bad, and a LOT of hours went into it. So there's little excuse.

Regards,

Richard.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,845

there are so many on YouTube

and I think it is meant to be what it is, one can use Faveral's MICK etc to build the ones we would like

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,327

Laurita said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

https://www.daz3d.com/pw-the-white-palace

impressive and price not surprising

you would need a 4090 to render it

I looked at it and thought that while this is a huge and impressive environment it is just soooooo ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. 

yes +1

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,783
    edited May 2023

While I have no interest in the White Palace (too extensive and too expensive) I absolutely can appreciate a set with a nouveau riche aesthetic.

Do I think it's beautiful? Would I want to live in it? Absolutely not.

But I had been dreaming up some "Real Housewives of..." scenarios and I needed a set for that. I ended up going for Dreamlight's Hollywood Mansion. Which is on the simplistic side, but good enough for my purposes.

Post edited by Hylas on

The 'Biomechanic Shaders' look very good!

The Komodo Dragon is amazing.

Regards,

Richard

• mdingmding Posts: 1,137

caravelle said:

Absolutely! And i really appreciate the PA showing lots of examples on how to use them and not only that but even explaining how to achieve those results in his promopics. Unfortunately personally i am not so interested atm, but i hope there are enough SF Artists out there to make his exemplary commitment worthwhile.

richardandtracy said:

But.. when it comes to 3D modelling, good taste is no more expensive in terms of hours than bad, and a LOT of hours went into it. So there's little excuse.

Regards,

Richard.

You're right. To start with the most irritating, the ceilings in most rooms are clearly too low. This gives the rooms unfortunate proportions: huge floor areas, but low, almost barrack-like walls. The ceilings do not have to be exaggeratedly high, as was fashionable at the turn of the century (19th/20th century), but these low walls devalue the rooms. 

• Blando CalrissianBlando Calrissian Posts: 458
    edited May 2023

I appreciate that PW remembered to include light switches for each room the the "White Palace" (I can't tell you how many house models I've seen that forget those details). There's a few outlets in the promo pics, too.

Also, I'm pretty certain that my GPU overheated from just loading the promo pics! laugh

Post edited by Blando Calrissian on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,483
    edited May 2023

Gordig said:

Do today's SUVs have any rigging beyond apparently being able to rotate the front wheels? None of the promos for the one that I checked showed the doors open or anything like that.

One can only rotate the wheels and turn the front wheels, no opening doors, rigging or any morphs. 

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,180

Definitely wouldn't have predicted that we'd get a LoRez Hippo.

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 196

These new Half Timbered Halls have serious Skyrim vibes. It's just a shame that I don't do fantasy renders, I would love to use them.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,180

Enterables makes some damn good architecture that I don't have an immediate use for.

Gordig said:

Enterables makes some damn good architecture that I don't have an immediate use for.

I think I have almost everything from Enterables for Daz+. The buildings are just very well designed and made, and I always find some use for them.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Gordig said:

Weird... I would have a use for some/most of his buildings, but always see some architectional flaws on the promo pictures - usually with the roof beams or a lack of them - that keep me from buying them. It's always only minor details, so the problem is - as usual - me, not the product/artist. I'm a really special snowflake sometimes...

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,483

maikdecker said:

Gordig said:

Weird... I would have a use for some/most of his buildings, but always see some architectional flaws on the promo pictures - usually with the roof beams or a lack of them - that keep me from buying them. It's always only minor details, so the problem is - as usual - me, not the product/artist. I'm a really special snowflake sometimes...

Separate external support beams/lattice on log structures, gaps between logs/planks on walls. But in general they do look nice if one looking is not an mechanical engineer from way up north wink

• No interactive license on the Half Timbered Hall, though.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,137

generalgameplaying said:

No interactive license on the Half Timbered Hall, though.

https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-wagon-train  doesn't seem to have one either, while https://www.daz3d.com/wood-slat-houses lacks the 3D printing license - a mistake maybe?

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,066

I just love the Digital Delirium shaders.

• nabob21nabob21 Posts: 917

I like the Zoo Pool but it is more suitable for something like a polar bear or otters since hippos apparently can't swim or float. ;-)

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,384

I really, really like the Zoo pool as well, I think one could adapt it to be a land habitat as well quite easily - say, for lions or something. It's just quite expensive for something I will rarely use. Dang, I really wish they'd give us one of these '30% off for 3 items' coupons they've been giving out occasionally lately, could much use one now! Even have some left-over tokens that need eating up ... uhm, spending away ...

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,693

Predatron is killing it! I hope he continues making sets with exteriors and interiors.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Thank you! I worked really hard on these.  

caravelle said:

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,384

Just bought the Zoo Pool, couldn't resist after all. Grabbed KA's Farmyard as well from the Farm selection (https://www.daz3d.com/the-farmyard), had somehow overlooked this really nice set until now. So, quite happy inspite of the high price for the Pool (totally appropriate though, it's a lovely and big set!) laugh

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

xyer0 said:

Predatron is killing it! I hope he continues making sets with exteriors and interiors.

Predatron is one of my fave PA's ;) 

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,057

mding said:

https://www.daz3d.com/fn-eleanor-hd-for-genesis-9 really looks great!

Yes, she does! I have no use for her at the moment (and no funds to justify impulse buying crying), but she went straight onto the wishlist.