Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• ElorElor Posts: 719

background said:

Does anyone know if  the new short pixie cut hair strand based? If it is I can't use it, ...to resource heavy ...   If it's not strand based I will probably buy it.

I don't have it, but it seems to use the new Omnihair shader according to the file list, which mean strand based but it should not be too ressource heavy: Omnihair is lighter than the previously used SBH shader.

• backgroundbackground Posts: 360

Elor said:

background said:

Does anyone know if  the new short pixie cut hair strand based? If it is I can't use it, ...to resource heavy ...   If it's not strand based I will probably buy it.

I don't have it, but it seems to use the new Omnihair shader according to the file list, which mean strand based but it should not be too ressource heavy: Omnihair is lighter than the previously used SBH shader.

Thanks. It will too resource heavy because I have to export strand based hair as a .obj, so that I can use it in my preferred renderer ( not Iray ). When the hair uses more resources than the figure I have to seriously consider if it's worth using. 

• midgard229midgard229 Posts: 14
    tsroemi said:

I really like the character, but the bundle ... SciFi AGAIN?! No thanks ... Why do we always have to ride these marketing themes forever? 

The mechanics suit seems nice and useable though. Would have loved for the bag to have some more natural morphs, no bag hangs as stiff as that from a hand. But the suit itself is very nice.

The bag doesn't have morphs but it is dForce.
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,261
    Nothing of interest to me - another female DO figure, hair for women, a jacket with no zipper, and a jumpsuit with a wonky collar.
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,767

Has anyone seen the morphs for https://www.daz3d.com/short-pixie-cut-for-genesis-9 that were shown in the promo pages?

Figured it out, apparently they will not show up unless the hair is on a character. I had just loaded the hair to check it out, without dealing with a character. The morphs show up in sliders under parameters. 

blush

Another3Drenderer said:

Sophia 9 says 5' 10.8" (189.8 cm) in the listing. 189.8cm seems like an error in the listing (should more be 179.8cm if in the fact the figure is just under 5' 11").

Anyone with measure metrics able to confirm what the actual figures height is? 

If I did it right, moving the little red line down to the top of her skull, the height in MM comes to 5' 7.4964" or 171.44cm. Could the measurement be a leftover from another DO character? Or did I use MM totally wrong? (Not sure who wrote the program, but please I really wish it would get updated.) 

• ElorElor Posts: 719

memcneil70 said:

If I did it right, moving the little red line down to the top of her skull, the height in MM comes to 5' 7.4964" or 171.44cm. Could the measurement be a leftover from another DO character? Or did I use MM totally wrong? (Not sure who wrote the program, but please I really wish it would get updated.) 

An easy way to check is loading a Genesis 8 figure:

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-8-starter-essential

Sophia 9 should only be a bit smaller than a base G8F figure if her US height is right, taller if her metric height is right.

Having said that, it would not be the first time a Genesis 9 figure is not as tall or as small as announced, which is too bad because we are missing lots of height variety here due to that and opening a ticket will only result in a change in the text on Daz store, not a change of the character height.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,440

Gordig said:

I was relieved to see the promos for dForce Salvage Tech show the outfit actually functioning as clothing:

The thumbnails for both the outfit and the texture expansion, and also some of Sophia's own promos, just show the outfit as basically sexy cosplay, which I have no interest in. A functional set of coveralls, though? All day.

Do the overalls have a fully fastened option? All the promos seem to show them at least half-off. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,175

murgatroyd314 said:

Gordig said:

I was relieved to see the promos for dForce Salvage Tech show the outfit actually functioning as clothing:

The thumbnails for both the outfit and the texture expansion, and also some of Sophia's own promos, just show the outfit as basically sexy cosplay, which I have no interest in. A functional set of coveralls, though? All day.

Do the overalls have a fully fastened option? All the promos seem to show them at least half-off. 

Isn't the one on the left fully fastened?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,246

background said:

I'm fairly certain it is, despite the product page's absolute refusal to specify. It uses Omni hair shader presets, and only includes an opacity map for the scalp. 

• mnpalamnpala Posts: 56

Can anyone please tell me what the long hair is in the Sophia promo images?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,246

Richard Haseltine said:

Those aren't overalls. The overalls are never pictured fully fastened, so I'm forced to assume that that's just how they are.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,547

Gordig said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Those aren't overalls. The overalls are never pictured fully fastened, so I'm forced to assume that that's just how they are.

Looking at the morphs, there's only ones for loosening areas

Gordig said:

background said:

I'm fairly certain it is, despite the product page's absolute refusal to specify. It uses Omni hair shader presets, and only includes an opacity map for the scalp. 

It is strand hair with the Omni presets for the hair. The morphs work. But when I tried to simulate I got a failure due to something to do with Nvidia? I closed off anything not needing simulation, tried, failed again. Saved and closed the file. Rebooted my computer and after opening D|S, opened the saved file. This time, I closed the hair, simulated without issue the outfit. Saved that. Re-opened the hair and tried to simulate it again, fail. I am not sure what happened, the error message in the log is remarkedly bland. So I gave up, but the hair looks okay with just the morphs applied. I will try to simulate it on another computer. Maybe it didn't like my 4090 card?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,210

memcneil70 said:

Gordig said:

background said:

It is strand hair with the Omni presets for the hair. The morphs work. But when I tried to simulate I got a failure due to something to do with Nvidia? I closed off anything not needing simulation, tried, failed again. Saved and closed the file. Rebooted my computer and after opening D|S, opened the saved file. This time, I closed the hair, simulated without issue the outfit. Saved that. Re-opened the hair and tried to simulate it again, fail. I am not sure what happened, the error message in the log is remarkedly bland. So I gave up, but the hair looks okay with just the morphs applied. I will try to simulate it on another computer. Maybe it didn't like my 4090 card?

This hair is not advertised as being dForce hair. Why are you trying to simulate it? It was probably not designed to be simulated, and that is why you get the error.
    (I don't own it, so I am basing this opinion on the product page title and description. We all know that those can be very wrong at times, though.)

@Fabiana did you ever create your commercial thread for the feathers accessories? I have renders to share.smiley

Gordig said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Sorry, I was seeing what I wanted to see. Yes, it looks as if the other part is down only, which is a shame.

barbult said:

memcneil70 said:

Gordig said:

background said:

This hair is not advertised as being dForce hair. Why are you trying to simulate it? It was probably not designed to be simulated, and that is why you get the error.
    (I don't own it, so I am basing this opinion on the product page title and description. We all know that those can be very wrong at times, though.)

@barbult, I went back to the hair, loaded it up on a character and checked again. The option Simulation shows in Parameters and Simulation Object Type = Dynamic Surface; Simulation Base Shape = Use Simulation Start Frame. I am not sure if this is pertinent, the fields Include Parent Groups and Exclude Parent Groups are both blank wherever they show up. The selection 'Pre Sim (PS) = Generate PS Hair = On.

I may be totally confused, not hard to be, but it reads to me as dForce. You are correct that the promo pages do not list dForce Cloth under Compatible Software. (I have given up looking for that normally because it is so cluttered with the bridges to programs I don't use.) This wouldn't be the first hair I thought was dForce that turned out not to be.

Since this is a DO hair, could those fields been left over from another hair and not cleared out when the hair was submitted by whomever created and sold it to DAZ?

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,266
    edited March 15

PerttiA said:

https://www.daz3d.com/auto-life-hd-for-genesis-8-females

I don't think the years treat her that good past forty, especially the chin and the nose start standing out more than I have noticed them to do
    Ages 0 to 3, the character has a baked in fetal pose that gets lesser with age
    Ages past 60 get a baked in slouch

But, I like it very much

Attached samples of 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100

Ya scared me for a moment. You can select the part of the body you want to pose.

Age 0

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

memcneil70 said:

@barbult, I went back to the hair, loaded it up on a character and checked again. The option Simulation shows in Parameters and Simulation Object Type = Dynamic Surface; Simulation Base Shape = Use Simulation Start Frame. I am not sure if this is pertinent, the fields Include Parent Groups and Exclude Parent Groups are both blank wherever they show up. The selection 'Pre Sim (PS) = Generate PS Hair = On.

I may be totally confused, not hard to be, but it reads to me as dForce. You are correct that the promo pages do not list dForce Cloth under Compatible Software. (I have given up looking for that normally because it is so cluttered with the bridges to programs I don't use.) This wouldn't be the first hair I thought was dForce that turned out not to be.

Since this is a DO hair, could those fields been left over from another hair and not cleared out when the hair was submitted by whomever created and sold it to DAZ?

I don't know the answers to any of this. Sorry.

I once submitted a help request about Seok hair (by Propschick) that had simulation settings but failed to simulate. The response from CS, after months of back and forth, was that the hair was created with dForce but was not intended to be simulated. surpriseAnother user in the forum complained about simulation errors from Jeanie Hair. Another user complained about Atlas Hair and another about Cassyus hair. All of those hairs are by Propschick. You can reference this old thread. Then there is Emberlynn hair, which is advertised as dForce, but has bald spots and thin spots that make it pretty useless. Emberlynn is another Propschick hair. You can reference this old thread. I also submitted a help request about that problem. After 7 months, there has been no fix, although CS acknowledged the problem. The hair you bought is listed as Daz Originals, not Propschick, but it appears to have the issues of many Propschick hairs.

Thanks barbult. That explains a lot. I will say that the hair is fine without simulation and looked great on a masculine version of Sophia 9. I will keep that in mind (well as much as my swiss cheese mind will allow me to) in the future when something freaks out for simulation. 

Thank you for eternal patience with me.

Mary

• Gordig said:

I also rather need the closed versions, so i am happy whenever an open one has a closed version or morph in addition. I could use both on the same piece of clothing on occasion (even just for heat managment).

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,725

Whoa, Quixotry's Sophia 9 Expression Collection was released too early, removed from the store after nine hours, then left off the Sophia 9 sale page once Sophia 9 was released. Tough way to make it.

All these years the cats get the blame!

https://www.daz3d.com/oversized-props-and-poses-for-mister-bobble

Sneaky little critters are us in blue and yellow.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,725

This week, I was watching 21 Bridges again (great movie btw), and I noticed a lighted covered construction walkway and thought, "We need one of those for Daz!" Here's The Antman coming through immediately for the save. Good on ya, mate!

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,080

xyer0 said:

This week, I was watching 21 Bridges again (great movie btw), and I noticed a lighted covered construction walkway and thought, "We need one of those for Daz!" Here's The Antman coming through immediately for the save. Good on ya, mate!

I wonder if there is clean version of those surfaces, because sometimes that specific graffiti is not what you want.

lou_harper said:

xyer0 said:

I wonder if there is clean version of those surfaces, because sometimes that specific graffiti is not what you want.

I should think a generic concrete shader would work on most of them.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,884
    edited March 17

memcneil70 said:

Agree.Great pack for Mister Bobble

Oversized02.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 285K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,884
    edited March 17

memcneil70 said:

Double post, so below is another render....

Post edited by Artini on
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,946
    edited March 17

Nitpicking I know, but .. the Hawker Fury .. a classic English biplane built in the 1930s, coming in American, French and German colours, but NOT RAF???

Post edited by SimonJM on