Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,327

memcneil70 said:

I am native American on both sides of my family, yet never had a chance to learn my history or culture. I was surprised after the discussion we had in the past that it was forbidden to reproduce their items in 3d. 

That said, I find Cheyenne 9 an excellent character and the facial morph pack an instant buy for me. We have needed a solid female character to give representation to dial from for the American Continents. I did buy the pro pack because I could get a better price with everything in it that I did like. The outfits, yeah, ... sorry PAs, at least there were no high heels. I do wish the makeup had a few more options for normal makeup, besides the one. The feather headdress might be usable for a traditional tribal dancers. A young man I spoke with last week, is a member of the Navajo Nation and just returned from a gather where he participated and showed me the photos of him in his outfits.

And for anyone around the world, in the western United States, you can find Indigenous People in all walks of life, so normal clothing in your runtime will work just fine. From government, medicine, teachers, first responders, parents, kids, grandparents, religious leaders, astronaut, or your store clerk. They are just our neighbors.

Mary

There is no better way to summarise it; thank you! Cheyenne 9 is wonderful. She's really beautiful, she's full of character, she doesn't follow any of the common patterns of G9 females - and she's grown up! This will definitely be one of my favourite female characters of this generation. Let's see how good her male morphs are.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,255
    edited April 19

FSMCDesigns said:

Timbales said:

Yeah, I 'm not really comfortable with today's Native American themed releases. Not knowing if anyone indigenous was involved or consulted makes me wary given the history of the US.

I Honestly don't see creating native American themed 3D assets as any form of cultural appropriation.  (It always seems the non indigenous ones are the ones that have issues like this)

My feeling of comfort (or discomfort) shouldn't be a barometer for other people to decide what they are comfortable with. 

It's not appropriation that makes me uncomfortable, it's the profiting off the spiritual iconography of a dienfranchised culture. I grew up in a town and now live in a county that are both named after the original Indigneous Nations of upstate NY. 

I'm not going to say what other people should or shouldn't buy or make, but I am going to decide what I am not comfortable with. 

Post edited by Timbales on
  • lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,068

richardandtracy said:

I do appreciate the fenced produced by Censored (https://www.daz3d.com/modular-metal-railings-merchant-resource). They'd go nicely with my fancy iron gate freebie from 2022 here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7679196/#Comment_7679196  . Glad someone else has realised the shortage of such things too. I am also impressed with the finishes - the rusty ones look particularly realistic.

Regards,

Richard

I was going to mention the fence too. :)

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited April 20

I've got the Idigenous Outfit for the beautiful headdress and accessories, but I don't think I will ever use it as complete set. It's a weird mix of parts that are made up and tacky and parts that are accurate.

Mildly schizophrenic.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388
    edited April 19

PixelSploiting said:

I've got the Idigenous Outfit for the beautiful headdress and accessories, but I don't think I will ever use it as complete set. It's a weid mix of parts that are made up and tacky and parts that are accurate.

Mildly schizophrenic.

Same feelings, but just couldn't resist the headdress. And maybe one can use everything else for other ideas. - Those with smaller discs might want to be aware that the outfit has 4 zip files and totals almost 3 GB. Not much optimization done it seems ... 

Post edited by tsroemi on
  • CensoredCensored Posts: 44

richardandtracy said:

I do appreciate the fenced produced by Censored (https://www.daz3d.com/modular-metal-railings-merchant-resource). They'd go nicely with my fancy iron gate freebie from 2022 here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7679196/#Comment_7679196  . Glad someone else has realised the shortage of such things too. I am also impressed with the finishes - the rusty ones look particularly realistic.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks you both, it was a pack that occurred to me while making my original modular fence pack, unfortunately it just took until now to free up enough time to make them. I hope you enjoy using them if you managed to pick them up.
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,751

Censored said:

lou_harper said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Thanks you both, it was a pack that occurred to me while making my original modular fence pack, unfortunately it just took until now to free up enough time to make them. I hope you enjoy using them if you managed to pick them up.

I only saw them because of Richard's post. I put them in my cart and waited for the store to sort itself out. When I looked at them, I envisioned a number of sets I have that I could use them with once I am back rendering full time. I like that 'snap-to' feature. Old eyes rejoice. Everything you do gets a hard look by me right away. If money is tight, I will wishlist, but otherwise buy ASAP. 

Finally something from AprilYSH again after a long time! https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-isaac-hair-for-genesis-9 immediately flew into my cart.

• CensoredCensored Posts: 44

Censored said:

lou_harper said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

I only saw them because of Richard's post. I put them in my cart and waited for the store to sort itself out. When I looked at them, I envisioned a number of sets I have that I could use them with once I am back rendering full time. I like that 'snap-to' feature. Old eyes rejoice. Everything you do gets a hard look by me right away. If money is tight, I will wishlist, but otherwise buy ASAP. 

I have often wondered how much forum engagement results in users seeing as of yet unnoticed products that they may need but didn't spot initially, I'm glad Richard made his post, and at some point I should check his freebie outas a thank you.
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,785

https://www.daz3d.com/jasa-taliyah-for-genesis-8-and-8-1-female

Not technically a new release, but new to this store.

Can anybody confirm if this character has the pointy elf ears baked into her head morph, or is it a separate morph? Perhaps someone who already has her from her Rendo days?

Thanks!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,083

Censored said:

memcneil70 said:

Censored said:

lou_harper said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

I have often wondered how much forum engagement results in users seeing as of yet unnoticed products that they may need but didn't spot initially, I'm glad Richard made his post, and at some point I should check his freebie outas a thank you.

[Cringe] .. A real PA looking at my stuff... [Gulp]

It's difficult to know how much influence comes from the forums here when there is no reliable view counter. When I first started doing freebies at Rendo, I went back hourly and plotted graphs of downloads against time. I couldn't ever find a correlation other than whether the freebie was unexpected, very well done or in a new area that others hadn't done before. It did mean I was blown away by the number and speed of 'Vomiting Pose' downloads. I had accidentally found an unfilled niche..

Returning to the number of views on threads.. I don't think it's generally more than a few score views a day (60-80?), and then the number of purchases from a linked post.. 1in8? 1in10? Hard to be convinced the effect is significant as a proportion of sales unless the total number is around 100-ish. I may be a bit on the low side, but when it comes to money, being pessimistic is usually the safer option!

Regards,

Richard.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,201

dortybassa said:

Nothing says "neanderthal" like https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-padrino-outfit-for-genesis-9

It's not as if neanderthals were known for their intricate metalsmithing, either.

• JB007JB007 Posts: 99
    edited April 23

dortybassa said:

Nothing says "neanderthal" like https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-padrino-outfit-for-genesis-9

Hey! All the guys down the Neander Valley are wearing those - get with the times Ooman Sapian or you'll soon go extinct!

Post edited by JB007 on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,700

The stitched-up pocket on the trench though. Why? Why?

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,651
    edited April 23

Also the obvious clipping of the vest through the pants on the promo without the coat.

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
  • Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 404

And also the weird drape over the shoe in the main promo that seems to have merged two legs together, and the fact the shirt is basically a t-shirt with a collar... I usually expect so much more from those PAs.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316

Pax Asteriae said:

And also the weird drape over the shoe in the main promo that seems to have merged two legs together, and the fact the shirt is basically a t-shirt with a collar... I usually expect so much more from those PAs.

Along with the very few promo images, all of which have a very simple basic pose. I can't help but feel that it possible doesn't drap very well at all and anything beyond that simple pose will look odd.

Gordig said:

dortybassa said:

It's not as if neanderthals were known for their intricate metalsmithing, either.

Lol, yes!

My first thought when I saw the Padrino outfit was the phrase, 'If you dressed-up a Neanderthal man in modern clothes he would be indistinguisable from modern man'. And after digging into DNA tracing rabbit holes, apparently many Europeans are descended from Neanderthals. I totally blame National Geographic for this rabbit hole lost time.

Pax Asteriae said:

This looks like an AI image, and maybe this image contains some hidden good news: Daz is working on the feature to make our own libraries usable in DazAI soon... (fantasize, speculate...) wink

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,201

memcneil70 said:

My first thought when I saw the Padrino outfit was the phrase, 'If you dressed-up a Neanderthal man in modern clothes he would be indistinguisable from modern man'. And after digging into DNA tracing rabbit holes, apparently many Europeans are descended from Neanderthals. I totally blame National Geographic for this rabbit hole lost time.

P.J. O'Rourke, while discussing the origins of the human species, referred to people who "resemble modern man at least as much as Neil Young does". 

Gordig said:

memcneil70 said:

P.J. O'Rourke, while discussing the origins of the human species, referred to people who "resemble modern man at least as much as Neil Young does". 

laugh 

memcneil70 said:

It appears the red hair gene is Neanderthal. The one that makes made (past tense now) my beard ginger. Ther amount of Neanderthal DNA is not huge, but there is a bump on the skull where the spine attaches that is of Neanderthal origin too. It appears the Neanderthal were limited to Europe. From the looks of the skeletons I've seen, I think you would be able to tell. They tended to be shorter, the men more powerful and had deeper chests more able to cope with the cold-dry air in the Loes steppe that covered much of Europe at the time than our version of humans.

I wonder what (if any) other hominid species are hidden in the DNA in other parts of the world. As Mary says, it can be a fascinating rabbit hole.

Regards,

Richard

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,857
    edited April 23

richardandtracy said:

memcneil70 said:

It appears the red hair gene is Neanderthal. The one that makes made (past tense now) my beard ginger. Ther amount of Neanderthal DNA is not huge, but there is a bump on the skull where the spine attaches that is of Neanderthal origin too. It appears the Neanderthal were limited to Europe. From the looks of the skeletons I've seen, I think you would be able to tell. They tended to be shorter, the men more powerful and had deeper chests more able to cope with the cold-dry air in the Loes steppe that covered much of Europe at the time than our version of humans.

I wonder what (if any) other hominid species are hidden in the DNA in other parts of the world. As Mary says, it can be a fascinating rabbit hole.

Regards,

Richard

Denisovans

but we don't know what they looked like as there is only DNA evidence in some EuroAsian mostly Asian people 

the only physical specimen ever found is a Neanderthal Denisovian hybrid 

so all 3 really are early humans 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • dortybassadortybassa Posts: 490
    edited April 23

richardandtracy said:

memcneil70 said:

Regards,

Richard

I must get that from you or those guys ;)  My beard was always ginger until ginger deserted me and turned white.

I also survived Loews steps, even managed it carrying a couple of Hot Dogs and beers while fighting dinosaurs in JP3 back in the day....

Post edited by dortybassa on

My bad, should have been 'Loess' rather than 'Loes'.

Regards,

Richard

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 301

Y'all are way pickier than I am. The mafiosi outfit was the only thing in today's new releases I absolutely had to have. I guess I'll see whether it actually has any serious structural problems once I use it. (I admit I only looked hastily at the coatless image and at first assumed the bottom of the vest was just tailored kind of weird, rather than having clipping problems with the pants.)

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,255
    I had very low expectations when I saw the Padrino outfit. They were met.

For those who would like to jump into the rabbit hole:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/the-neanderthal-in-us.html#:~:text='Genetic research shows that most,ago interbred with the Neanderthals.

I have been fascinated by genetics since high school when I had to chart out to 3 or 4 generations, both sides, eye and hair color and known ethnicity. It was then I found that only me, my father, his mother, and her father (unknown native American tribe) had dark hair, deep brown/hazel eyes, the rest on both sides were blondes/red heads light hazel/green/blue eyes. Except my mother's mother's mother, who was Cherokee.

Enjoy

Mary