Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread

Comments

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 309

As I noted in the There's Always Another Sale Thread (tm): Glad some other people came in to get justifiably salty about the "face of cosplay" line. I was wondering if it was just me that was annoyed.

I could have wished for some outfits that were, y'know, actually interesting cosplay instead of the same old meido and catgirl cliches. Of course, most of the cosplay I enjoy the most would have to go straight into Editorial License land, so ...

(DAZ I DARE YOU TO PUT OUT A FURSUIT ITEM I SUPER DOUBLE DARE YOU)

The bigger problem is (this is just my opinion, as ever) that Hanako's starter bundle is overpriced and her pro bundle is outrageously overpriced, and Hanako herself is a bit overpriced. Right now with the initial discount the lone figure is twenty-four-fifty. I would pay ... about half that.

I ain't cheap; I just have to keep an acute concept of value-for-money, especially with how much I spend on Studio resources. I paid for Rising Sun yesterday, you'll note! But I do not see $122.49 worth of value in that bundle, myself. Your mileage may vary.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,080

Underage Asian girls are not my thing, so this was an easy pass.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,261
    edited April 4

Timbales said:

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-mi-everyday-construction-worker-bundle Purchased immediately. I have a story I'm working on this will be perfect for.

Only drawback to this one I see is that there don't seem to be any clean texture options. 

I can understand that. But there the models themselves have such good details and there are so many mat zones, I'm thinking fabric shaders can be applied for clean look. I haven't had a chance to try that theory out yet, though. When well modeled and detailed men's clothing hits the store, I buy it because it's a rare occurrence.
    Post edited by Timbales on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,466

lou_harper said:

Underage Asian girls are not my thing, so this was an easy pass.

same here. Not into cosplay anything anyway.  

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,768

I am sensitive about underage (legal women who look underage) being used in inappropriate ways. I just finished rendering all three models, (included the Head Shapes in this) and was able to easily treat them respectfully and with different hair, they two main versions could easily move to college/young business women/working women/mothers and not just sex workers. The character also has male skin with nipples and gens that Oso showed on a young boy that looked great. 

• CensoredCensored Posts: 46

I'm also not someone who's likely to use characters that look particularly doll-like or young, which was my main motivation behind the creation of my https://www.daz3d.com/head-shapes-for-hanako-9 head shape product as I like to have a diverse character base, but I only really use slighty more mature characters in renders and such. I'm hoping this product expands users options when it comes to using Hanako.

edited April 4

Matt_Castle said:

murgatroyd314 said:

Timbales said:

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-mi-everyday-construction-worker-bundle Purchased immediately. I have a story I'm working on this will be perfect for.

Only drawback to this one I see is that there don't seem to be any clean texture options. 

I feel the utility of the Construction Worker outfit is considerably lessened by the lack of clean (or at least cleaner) texture options.

I'm not saying the grime shouldn't have been an option, but I don't think it should have been the only option - I expect it would be extremely hard for an end user to remove it from the textures without basically redoing them, whereas a clean option could be dirtied up to my own satisfaction with any of several different grime products I have. Also, it could be dirtied up differently - here, if I need more than one worker at my construction site, every single one of them is going to have had the exact same accidents with a paintbrush. (Every different texture set for the trousers, regardless of colour, shows the exact same splodges on it).

If anything, the identicality in the dirt on every texture set to me strongly implies the dirt was an overlay layer (or layers) applied over the rest in the texturing process, and I'm guessing that could have been turned off to export clean texture sets.

I know whining forum users who say things like "I want to buy things like this, but this new product isn't up to my standards!" are a dime a dozen, but this does feel like quite an oversight in the production of the product. At the start of the day, the entire construction crew has identically soiled outfits?

It takes fabric shaders well, I think. 

clean.jpg
    609 x 862 - 146K
    Post edited by Timbales on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,904
    edited April 5

I bought the hair

it's pretty heart

b039.png
    1080 x 1920 - 3M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

https://www.daz3d.com/sg-reanimated-monster-hd-for-genesis-9

Frankenstein's monster is nice and it's something new.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    edited April 6

It's in my cart, with its editorial license and all. I feel like it would look really good with the Death 9 Apocalypse skin. https://www.daz3d.com/death-9-hd-apocalypse-add-on
    Post edited by MimicMolly on

MimicMolly said:

lou_harper said:

It's in my cart, with its editorial license and all. I feel like it would look really good with the Death 9 Apocalypse skin. https://www.daz3d.com/death-9-hd-apocalypse-add-on

I love Death. Such a great character.

• dortybassadortybassa Posts: 490

lou_harper said:

Not so new that Universal would let you use it!  Why not just re-imagine from the book...

“His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion, and straight black lips 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,768

dortybassa said:

lou_harper said:

Not so new that Universal would let you use it!  Why not just re-imagine from the book...

“His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion, and straight black lips 

Oookay, great image to head to bed on for sleep. Thanks for the visual. My imagination runs amoke in nightmares. 

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,340
    edited April 7

Censored said:

I'm also not someone who's likely to use characters that look particularly doll-like or young, which was my main motivation behind the creation of my https://www.daz3d.com/head-shapes-for-hanako-9 head shape product as I like to have a diverse character base, but I only really use slighty more mature characters in renders and such. I'm hoping this product expands users options when it comes to using Hanako.

Your head shapes are the only reason why Hanako 9 (together with the head shapes) is on my wishlist. This accumulation of underage girls in the Genesis 9 base figures makes me feel uneasy.

Post edited by caravelle on
  • CensoredCensored Posts: 46

caravelle said:

Censored said:

Your head shapes are the only reason why Hanako 9 (together with the head shapes) is on my wishlist. This accumulation of underage girls in the Genesis 9 base figures makes me feel uneasy.

Thank you, I appreciate it! Hopefully in the future you get the opportunity to pick up the products and test them out. To futher them from being too doll-like I would also recommend 0ing the proportional height as well as the head size. But with those things in mind I found it quite enjoyable creating slightly more mature looking characters that work for the type of art I create. 

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,816

Why dforce on a "buzz cut" ?
    Just wondering

because it's a buzz word? :rimshot:

Just wondering

I would assume to get the details on the extremely short hair. It's not like long hair where you could get away with less geometry and transmaps.
    It's an interesting haircut, but the sideburns area makes it look more feminine. Which is expected.
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,363

Masterstroke said:

Just wondering

Because the conversion between hair strands and full "dForce hair" adds a lot more than just simulation. It adds a lot more control as far as allowing density/length maps at the surface level, so it's often done even if it's not intended the hair would be simulated.

I ran into these problems when I was trying to make strand hair for the centaurs (I wanted to make something I could use the new OmniHair shader on) - however, without the ability to map the hair generation at the surface level (and with OmniHair not having opacity), I was forced to convert it into geometry (nearly five million polygons!) so I had something where I could use an opacity mapped Uber shader to fit it around clothes.

Here with Lyoness's new Pret a Jolie set:

Gallery Link

I'd be content if all the standard SBH was missing was the dForce (although it would be limiting from a perspective of draping and posing long hair), but when it's also missing a load of the mapping parameters, converting it to full dHair makes a lot of sense. (Certainly more practical than converting it to geometry, but I didn't have a choice about that, Daz don't let us mortals have the dHair tools).

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,247

Matt_Castle said:

I'd be content if all the standard SBH was missing was the dForce (although it would be limiting from a perspective of draping and posing long hair), but when it's also missing a load of the mapping parameters, converting it to full dHair makes a lot of sense. (Certainly more practical than converting it to geometry, but I didn't have a choice about that, Daz don't let us mortals have the dHair tools).

I would argue that the most important thing missing from DS's SBH tool is the ability to import your own curves. There are all kinds of tools in other programs for creating hair, but as I understand it, only a PA would be able to take hair made in another program and convert it to SBH inside DS. 

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,363

I don't dislike Daz's SBH editor. It's basic, but ultimately I did decide that what I churned out of it was better than the hair I'd previously created in Blender - the problem for me was that with standard SBH I couldn't control where the hair was growing without having to save out a separate version of the hair for every single scene that I did. (You can load in new generation maps into the editor, but they're not saved into the scene, and are lost when you reload, which is a huge hassle if you need to use Render Queue or similar).

As such, I had to go through a really quite tedious process of converting it to a UV mapped geometry, and it's not possible to use the OmniHair shader like I'd originally intended.

But yes, one way or another, the standard SBH is missing a lot of features more than just being able to simulate; can't save generation maps into the scene on a hair level, can't apply override maps at the shader level, can't import it without the special tools. So that's a big part of why you'll see hair that doesn't need simulation that's in the dHair format.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,904

it could have been better than Poser and Carrara dynamic hair we have had for 13 years or more

but DAZ could not let the Plebs use the technology

because nobody buys premade assets,

looks at my extensive dforce cloth hair collection in my library and scratches head

I recently bought a new Dforce strandbased hair with the Omni shader and all and it is very nice

but

it would be nicer if one could actually style it differently in the editor

hell I bought every Carrara hair in the store even though I can and do grow my own,

Surely DAZ marketting must realise fast food and premade meals sell even though we all have kitchen knives and chopping boards

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,816

I am quite happy to see, that OOT finally joints the dforce Hair vendors club.
    To bad, for G9 only, though.

The touchable products should have better preview thumbnails, at least. The cropped letters make them skippable because I often don't recognize hair by the names, only by the looks.
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 205

MimicMolly said:

The touchable products should have better preview thumbnails, at least. The cropped letters make them skippable because I often don't recognize hair by the names, only by the looks.

Yeah, I was wondering if something messed up on import? Because only seeing part of a title of stylized letters tells me NOTHING (visually) about whether I'm interested or not, and no way am I going to click on all that just to see if I might like it. And it just looks... cheap and ill-coded. 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,057

SilverGirl said:

MimicMolly said:

Yeah, I was wondering if something messed up on import? Because only seeing part of a title of stylized letters tells me NOTHING (visually) about whether I'm interested or not, and no way am I going to click on all that just to see if I might like it. And it just looks... cheap and ill-coded. 

The thumbnails were most likely automatically created when importing the product by cropping the central part of main promo image in the desired aspect ratio. Which doesn't work at all for a lot of wolfie's products which don't use the usual Daz promo format for the main promo.

• nannerfkmnannerfkm Posts: 22

I just got FN Anna HD for Genesis 9 this morning and can't wait to start working on something new. 

• ElorElor Posts: 719

It seems as nice and as complete as @Destiny's Design and @FC2C two previous shaders products:

https://www.daz3d.com/fc2c-anaglypta-wallpaper-mr-shaders

I don't have the funds nor the needs for it right now but when I have both, I know where to look to get nice looking 3D wallpapers smiley

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,057

Elor said:

It seems as nice and as complete as @Destiny's Design and @FC2C two previous shaders products:

https://www.daz3d.com/fc2c-anaglypta-wallpaper-mr-shaders

I don't have the funds nor the needs for it right now but when I have both, I know where to look to get nice looking 3D wallpapers smiley

Those look very good indeed :)