Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge 2023 (ALL are welcome to join)

Comments

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,074

SofaCitizen said:

OK, I had to think outside the box for this one since I couldn't really send the girls on vacation to Russia. So, instead I found a Russian cocktail bar called "Moscow" which hopefully means I can just about squeeze it in here even if it's technically only complying with the theme as written rather than as intended. I even threw in White Russian and Moscow Mule cocktails!

Next year, I'll pick something that allows me to be a little more flexible :)

Postcards to Dad #11 : Moscow, Russia(n Cocktail Bar)

Hi Dad,

You remember back when we were planning this trip we always intended to go to Moscow? Well, even tho we replaced Russia with Lithuania on our itinerary we still technically made it to "Moscow" - it's just that it happens to be the name of a cocktail bar near our hotel rather than the actual city. So, not quite the same, but a much more sensible place to visit on our vacation right now.

The others were much more at home in such a place than me but I still had a great time - although I am sure the delicious cocktails had something to do with that!

Love Penny xx

Gallery link for used assets - although I didn't list some since they are barely recognisable.

YAY SofaCitizen... Wonderful idea... I'm so pleased to see the girls having a great time... Maybe next year will be 3 boys???  lol.  Boys DO seem to get in a lot of trouble.  (Just an idea... lol)  Thanks for making me smile.  Totally approve!

Another day til we pack our bags for our last destination of the year... Post'em if ya got'em... ;) 

• ElorElor Posts: 716

SofaCitizen said:

OK, I had to think outside the box for this one since I couldn't really send the girls on vacation to Russia.

I cheated too, because it's not really practical to go to Moscow right now, so, they went to Moscow instead cheeky

Items and a longer explanation on the gallery: On the road to Moscow…

I initially planed to create a scene in a library, where both of them would spent some time catching up with their studies, but the library I own is full of outdated non working ghost lights and I don't know yet how to replace them. So, now they are on the road and Victoria is napping because she did spent a lot of time catching up (the downside of travelling all over the world…) smiley

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,620

Llola Lane said:

YAY SofaCitizen... Wonderful idea... I'm so pleased to see the girls having a great time... Maybe next year will be 3 boys???  lol.  Boys DO seem to get in a lot of trouble.  (Just an idea... lol)  Thanks for making me smile.  Totally approve!

Well, without wanting to negatively stereotype my own gender too much, at the start I did think it would be more believeable for a female teen-ish character to be regularly sending postcards back home to a parent while having a greater variety of adventures. Also, like most people I imagine, I seem to have acquired more outfits for the ladies than the men which means more options there. However, 3 boys getting into "trouble" could have indeed been quite fun to build some renders for :)

Obviously, I will have to wait and see what you decide for next year's thread, but I am thinking of maybe having a few concurrent ideas to choose from. That way it opens up the flexibility to focus on one of them that best matches the month's theme and/or maybe doing a few different ones for in the same month :)

Elor said:

I cheated too, because it's not really practical to go to Moscow right now, so, they went to Moscow instead cheeky

I initially planed to create a scene in a library, where both of them would spent some time catching up with their studies, but the library I own is full of outdated non working ghost lights and I don't know yet how to replace them. So, now they are on the road and Victoria is napping because she did spent a lot of time catching up (the downside of travelling all over the world…) smiley

I'm glad I wasn't the only one then :) I undertstand your pain with the lighting tho it's much harder to (re)light a complicated indoor scene than I thought. I originally planned to custom-build the entire environment for my image (since most of it is not seen) but couldn't get the light right at all so ended up using a purchased nighclub asset just for the lighting rig. I haven't really worked much with ghost lights so also wouldn't really know how to replace them.

Nice image tho - hopefully Lacey caught up with her sleep before getting behind the wheel!

Elor said:

SofaCitizen said:

OK, I had to think outside the box for this one since I couldn't really send the girls on vacation to Russia.

I had to go to your gallery to understand where you were going... to Idaho... ahhh... Didn't even know about that city in the USA... Very clever indeed.  Love following the girls around the world.  :) 

ok Gang.. Last stop on our world wind trip for this year... DECEMBER = Rio de Janeiro, Brazil ... then back home.  :(  Let's make it a fun month! 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,816
    edited December 2023

when my birdies, when my birdies chirp at me I go to Rio..... laugh

thanks Llola for the fun WWW ( wild world wind ) trip this year yes

Weird Birds in Rio.png
    800 x 600 - 719K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza... Sounds like a song ... but I can't find the music... ;)  Thanks for taking the trip with me/us... Not sure what next year holds yet.  I'll see what inspires me as January gets closer... lol.

edited December 2023

SofaCitizen said:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one then :) I undertstand your pain with the lighting tho it's much harder to (re)light a complicated indoor scene than I thought. I originally planned to custom-build the entire environment for my image (since most of it is not seen) but couldn't get the light right at all so ended up using a purchased nighclub asset just for the lighting rig. I haven't really worked much with ghost lights so also wouldn't really know how to replace them.

Nice image tho - hopefully Lacey caught up with her sleep before getting behind the wheel!

It can be a pain to re-light a scene built with 'ghost lights' in mind, especially because I never used them before (I started with Daz 4.21) and it makes understanding what the PA was doing harder. I spent some time yesterday scratching my head to re-light the Fantasy Trapped Vault, which hopefully will help me when I'll try to update the lightning of the library I'm speaking about (the 'ghost lights' panels of the library are also surfaces of the chandeliers, so I'll likely use the same trick as the one I used with the torches in the vault).

And don't worry, Lacey was in perfect shape to take the wheel smiley

Llola Lane said:

I had to go to your gallery to understand where you were going... to Idaho... ahhh... Didn't even know about that city in the USA... Very clever indeed.  Love following the girls around the world.  :) 

I got the idea because when I was younger, my parents' house was in a neighboorhood called as a bigger French city, so why not a place called Moscou (Moscow in French) and then when I found a couple in France, I looked to see if they were someplace in the US called Moscow too smiley

Stezza said:

When I read your text, I was also 'I know this song, but in French'. Turns out Claude François translated the lyrics and made a French version of that song.

Nice render, I like two birds laugh

Post edited by Elor on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,816

Elor said:

SofaCitizen said:

It can be a pain to re-light a scene built with 'ghost lights' in mind, especially because I never used them before (I started with Daz 4.21) and it makes understanding what the PA was doing harder. I spent some time yesterday scratching my head to re-light the Fantasy Trapped Vault, which hopefully will help me when I'll try to update the lightning of the library I'm speaking about (the 'ghost lights' panels of the library are also surfaces of the chandeliers, so I'll likely use the same trick as the one I used with the torches in the vault).

And don't worry, Lacey was in perfect shape to take the wheel smiley

Llola Lane said:

I got the idea because when I was younger, my parents' house was in a neighboorhood called as a bigger French city, so why not a place called Moscou (Moscow in French) and then when I found a couple in France, I looked to see if they were someplace in the US called Moscow too smiley

Stezza said:

When I read your text, I was also 'I know this song, but in French'. Turns out Claude François translated the lyrics and made a French version of that song.

Nice render, I like two birds laugh

merci, j’ai regardé cette version française et oui très similaire, je n’avais jamais entendu parler de Claude François auparavant. wink

thanks, I watched that French version and yes very similar, I've never heard of Claude François before. yes

edited December 2023

Ok.. it's the last trip of the year and although I am deathly afraid of heights... I think I would travel up on the tram to see THIS view... WOW... Spectacular! 

"Rio de Janeiro"

Brazil 1minute render DONE SIGN.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 323K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on

Llola Lane said:

Ok.. it's the last trip of the year and although I am deathly afraid of heights... I think I would travel up on the tram to see THIS view... WOW... Spectacular! 

"Rio de Janeiro"

Wow! that is a nice view :) Probably made the right choice standing on the sturdy balcony as the bouncing and swaying cable car would be a little nerve-racking I would think!

SofaCitizen said:

Llola Lane said:

"Rio de Janeiro"

Wow! that is a nice view :) Probably made the right choice standing on the sturdy balcony as the bouncing and swaying cable car would be a little nerve-racking I would think!

Oh yes.. my tummy is queezie just thinking about all that swaying and movement... ughhh... 

SofaCitizen said:

Probably made the right choice standing on the sturdy balcony as the bouncing and swaying cable car would be a little nerve-racking I would think!

To say nothing of the presence of a strong looking fence protecting them from tripping to their end blush

I don't like height, but the view is nice smiley

Elor said:

SofaCitizen said:

Probably made the right choice standing on the sturdy balcony as the bouncing and swaying cable car would be a little nerve-racking I would think!

To say nothing of the presence of a strong looking fence protecting them from tripping to their end blush

I don't like height, but the view is nice smiley

Agreed... my virtual me is closer to the fencing than the RL me would be... lol.  Usually I have hubby go to the edge and take pictures for me.  I'd be hugging the wall!  lol

Hi Gang... Happy Holidays... I hope you are all well... We have little over a week til the New Year... I hope you all made the trip to Rio de Janeiro with me and are just having too good a time to post your artwork.  It seems like I'm loosing you all... Are you interested in continuing the challenge next year???  I have a great idea for a theme... Please let me know your thoughts here.  Stay well.. Llola Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,160

I'd like to join in next year if you do continue. Just getting back into Daz Studio after a big gap. I think I need some promts and ideas to get me started again. Your challenge would be perfect and January would be a good time to start. Busy making Christmas things for the grandchildren at the moment.

Llola Lane said:

Hi Gang... Happy Holidays... I hope you are all well... We have little over a week til the New Year... I hope you all made the trip to Rio de Janeiro with me and are just having too good a time to post your artwork.  It seems like I'm loosing you all... Are you interested in continuing the challenge next year???  I have a great idea for a theme... Please let me know your thoughts here.  Stay well.. Llola Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have made it to Rio eventually after struggling for an idea for a while. I do have something built and rendered but not happy with it yet as I think I had to over-optimise it to get it to fit into my cards memory - it seemed very heavy by default and so throwing three figures into it didn't help :( Got some weird-looking shadows I need to try and spot-render out tonight so hopefully will be able to post it after that.

Definitely up for next year's challenge :) I've already said elsewhere that I need to make it a new year resolution to do more than I did this year as I have been very lazy in 2023.

Mollytabby said:

I'd like to join in next year if you do continue. Just getting back into Daz Studio after a big gap. I think I need some promts and ideas to get me started again. Your challenge would be perfect and January would be a good time to start. Busy making Christmas things for the grandchildren at the moment.

Hi Molly, hope you do join us next year. The more the merrier! :)

• I am having computer problems waiting on parts. Hopefully, I'll get one in.

Mollytabby said:

That would be awesome if you could join us Mollytabby... for some reason this challenge has been loosing its following the past few years.  I'd really like it to pick up again :) 

I have a great theme for next year that will tame our inner beast.  ;)  (giggles)

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,160

I'm looking forward to taking part :) 

Postcards to Dad #12 : Rio de Janeiro

Hi Dad, it's almost the end of our trip and visiting Brazil has been a great way to end things. Although we have been a bit lazy, spending most of our time on the lovely beaches soaking up the sun since there won't be much of that when we get home.

I did convince the others to sign up for a cycle tour tho so we could see more of Rio while we are here. At first it looked like we wouldn't be able to go as they didn't have a bike small enough for Jessie. But she spotted a unicycle in the back and despite never riding one before she managed to get the hang of it after only 20 minutes or so. She's so talented!

Looking forward to seeing you when we arrive home next week!
    Love you lots,
    Penny xox

Gallery Link for used assets.

• I was thinking about buying that environment but decided not to. Now I think I should buy it.

SofaCitizen said:

Postcards to Dad #12 : Rio de Janeiro

Hi Dad, it's almost the end of our trip and visiting Brazil has been a great way to end things. Although we have been a bit lazy, spending most of our time on the lovely beaches soaking up the sun since there won't be much of that when we get home.

I did convince the others to sign up for a cycle tour tho so we could see more of Rio while we are here. At first it looked like we wouldn't be able to go as they didn't have a bike small enough for Jessie. But she spotted a unicycle in the back and despite never riding one before she managed to get the hang of it after only 20 minutes or so. She's so talented!

Looking forward to seeing you when we arrive home next week!
    Love you lots,
    Penny xox

-----------

Gallery Link for used assets.

APPLAUZZZZZZZZZZZZE... applauseeeeeee... I am almost sorry to see the girls head home.  Perfect postcard for the end of our trip around the world!  (sighs)... Gonna miss those girls... but RL becons... the fun is over... time to get to work (college?)?

AgitatedRiot said:

I was thinking about buying that environment but decided not to. Now I think I should buy it.

I have the street scene on my wishlist also... just waiting for a good sale.  

Llola Lane said:

APPLAUZZZZZZZZZZZZE... applauseeeeeee... I am almost sorry to see the girls head home.  Perfect postcard for the end of our trip around the world!  (sighs)... Gonna miss those girls... but RL becons... the fun is over... time to get to work (college?)?

Getting jobs will be next up for them but maybe one or more of those jobs might co-incide with a different render for a month in next year's theme? If not then hopefully whatever else I submit for the next thread will hopefully still be acceptable :)

Oh, and yes that Favela product is pretty good. I barely scratched the surface of it but it's got a whole bunch of filled out businesses and homes so you can probably set a whole comic or visual novel in just that environment. Did seem a bit heavy, even with the no-props loadout, but I did have a bit of a cold while setting it up so my brain wasn't at full speed and so may have done something wrong.

Thanks SofaCitizen... I am sure you may get and idea or two for the girls' job(s) for the new year.  Who knows... they may even have to travel for their job... wink.. winks... We shall see :) 

Yup, that's quite possible :) Once you get the travelling bug you'd want to keep doing it and so I doubt if any of them are destined for the 9 to 5 office life!