they are worse than Autotuned Vocaloids

and the Virtual Singer I use in Melody Assistant 

so to ground myself I dug up this banger

honestly this is brilliant 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,153

I remembered my Dell Notebook password.  It is ********

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,048
    edited June 2023

Megh, this was a test post because of numerous 500 Internal Server Errors... seems to work now.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited June 2023

So today I was reading a legal document about a lawsuit involving a bunch of insurance companies, various claimants, a bunch of capuchins and the people who salvaged the gold from the wreck of the S.S. Central America...

In case you aren't familiar with the incident, back on September 3rd of the year 1857, the blackhulled, three decked, side-wheeler, S.S. Central America left Panama for New York City, carrying over six hundred people and around $1,600,00 in gold... real gold, not those "genuine gold plated" commemorative coins, shady offshore minting companies try to sell to gullible old people in between reverse mortgage and "free" medical equipment commercials on cable news channels... some of that real gold was still in actual nugget and dust format... but regardless of that format, none of the gold ever made it to NYC because on the second day out the Central America sailed right into a hurricane and by the 12th it was heading to the bottom.

Only 153 people survived and at the time it was one of the greatest maritime disasters known... 

Back when it sank, a number of people stepped forward with assorted loony plans on how to salvage the wreck, the least loony of which was a plan that involved inventing a submarine to go down deep enough to reach the wreck which they thought was resting at 168 feet down... they were very wrong... it was actually sitting at around 8,000 feet, but even at the more comfortable depth, they didn't have the technology to reach anywhere near that.

Nothing came of any of that, and the wreck remained undisturbed for over one hundred and twenty-something years...

Eventually in the 1970s someone figured out where it might be and by 1987, someone managed to bring up a chunk of the wreckage (I believe it was some coal and rust) and that set off a legal battle as to who actually had claim to the fortune... the salvage company or the various insurance companies (actually 39), most of which no longer existed in their original form who had paid out settlements back in the 19th century, descendents of the deceased and some capuchins.

I'm going to wrap it all up because the rest isn't very interesting, the long story short is that after a lot of arguments about who abandoned what and that saying you paid out a lot of money a hundred plus years ago, but unfortunately don't have any paperwork to prove that because you burned it a hundred years ago isn't the same as actually maintaining a claim and showing you intend to try and salvage your gold somehow and that, and especially if you didn't even know where the gold was or it's actually amount, after so much time and with so little to back up your claim, most of that money should go to the people who actually found and salvaged that gold... I'm not even going to get into the part where the head of the salvage team ended up going to jail because he absconded with 500 gold coins, which as far as I can tell have never been recovered.

The part that really confused me was the references to capuchins... and the single reference to capuchin monks... 

Which I automatically assumed meant capuchin monkeys, because... A: People sue animals/pets for inheritance money all the time... 2: Monkeys recently sued a guy for rights to a picture they took... ♦: People in general can't spell and often leave out lettes... D: Primates are notoriously litigious... and 6: As far as I knew "Capuchins" are those little "organ grinder" monkeys... Thats "organ grinder", as in the musical instrument street entertainers would play while their pet monkey would caper about begging for handouts or picking people's pockets... depending on their skill level... not the culinary device used to grind up biological organs into a thick Organ Smoothie... which is far more disgusting than it sounds... if you've never seen a movie from the 30s... they all featured capuchin monkeys to some degree... in fact Lewis Milestone's WW1 pacifist drama "All Quite On The Western Front" was originally entirely cast using capuchin monkey actors, but when the monkeys had difficulty reciting certain lines and refraining from poop throwing, Universal Pictures which at the time was run by a consortium of humans and orangutans, decided to dub in the dialogue and replace some capuchins with human actors...
    But anyway, if you aren't familiar with any of that, one of the most famous capuchin monkeys in recent times has to be "Marcel" the pet monkey that was a briefly a cast member of the television comedy series "Friends"...  

If you look it up, Marcel is the sorter cast member that usually appears next or on the shoulder of human actor David Schwimmer (Ross)... Apparently, Schwimmer and the monkey have a long standing feud because in an interview Schwimmer once said "I hate that monkey" and the monkey (or his trainer) then accused Schwimmer of having monkey envy because everyone liked the monkey more than Ross and really wanted to see Marcel and Rachel start dating and eventually replace Ross as a main cast member thus becoming new sixth "Friend", or seventh, if they couldn't get rid of Ross entirely.

But anyway, I was very confused as to how a bunch of monkeys could afford to sue a salvage company or how they even had any legal footing in such a matter...

Apparently, back in 1984, a different salvage venture (Santa Fe Communications,Inc.) probably not run by monkeys, paid Columbia University (only partially run by monkeys) $300,000 to survey a 400 square mile area of the Atlantic Ocean... Columbia's researcher (who may or may not have been a monkey... it's never specifically mentioned), one Dr. William "B.F" Ryan was able to identify seven "targets" on the ocean floor... one of which (#4) he believed to be the wreck of the Central America... Santa Fe decided it was unlikely they'd be able to do anything to recover gold due to various technological issues and uncertainty of the aforementioned target being the wreckage and not a cleverly disguised sea monster, so they did nothing to pursue that possibility and Columbia eventually transferred "any and all rights and interests arising from undersea salvage operations" to a "Catholic monastic order of Capuchins"...

Okay... I did not pay a lot of attention in Catholic school when I was a kid... I drew a lot and wrote long weird stories my English teachers told me were horrible, poorly written, had really bad spelling and grammar and would eventually be the reason I went to hell... so it's no surprise to me that somehow I missed that monkeys could become monks... which is very redundant seeming... not to mention confusing as well... I guess I knew the thing about Saint Augustine of the Hippopotamuses, but I thought that was just a one off... you get one holy hippo here or there, sure... but monkeys too?

What else did I miss?... Saint Stanley of the Sea Lions, or Saint Larry of the Kangaroos?

Ok... Well, regardless, it turns out throughout the document there arose another drama because at some point two guys realized the rights might be valuable and purchased them from the monkey monks... (see, confusing... you probably thought I stuttered there)... 

The document then went on to include a new drama... once it was clear the company that had already salvaged some of the wreckage as proof of its existence was onto something, two individuals involved in the commission of the original abandoned survey which Columbia turned over the rights to, realized the value of those rights and purchased them from the monks for $10...

I was now pretty sure these were monkey monks because, and I'm not making this up, when I was a little kid, my step-grandfather actually had a capuchin monkey and I routinely had to trick him into not murdering me (the monkey, not my step grandfather)... and as murdery as these delightful little monkeys can be, they are often easily distracted... as was that monkey...
    You see, my step grandfather actually used to own a pet shop and that monkey had a bad habit of harassing customers and stealing things, so instead of keeping him in cage or donating him to a monastery, my grandfather took him home... which was probably what drove this monkey mad... apparently he hated "The Honeymooners" and my grandfather watched that series over and over... it was on late at night and my grandfather would fall asleep watching it and they played several episodes in a row and apparently at some point the monkey snapped and decided he'd kill all humans... 

I could totally relate to Charlton Heston in the Planet of the Apes when he didn't want those damn dirty apes touching him... only they weren't trying to bite him every time they laid eyes on him... but anyway, I learned how to distract that damn dirty monkey (he really did smell bad too), so I genuinely figured these guys bought $10 worth of bananas or party favors (never give an already psychotic monkey a party noisemaker) and tricked the monkeys into handing over the document...

Well, apparently, according to the document the monkey monks realized they were being hoodwinked and protested and the two guys agreed relinquish one third of whatever they recovered in the case...

I immediately became suspicious of my previous assumptions... even through capuchin monkeys might be smart enough to not be lured into a running wood chipper, they aren't skilled enough to make a sufficient argument potentially worth millions of actual dollars...

So I probably Googled something like "can capuchin monkeys really become monks" and I ended up finding out that there is an order of human monks that get their name from their hoods (a "cappuccio") and that they didn't invent cappuccino, but it gets its name from the color of their robes and that the monkey are named as such because of their fur pattern which looks like the monk's robes with the hoods down... and after looking around, I found a less confusing document, an online Legal Opinion which is basically a summary of the case written in a less legalese complicated format.

Its still rather boring, but if I'd have read that first, it would have mentioned right off that the monks were probably human and I wouldn't have had to write this, because I'd have probably found something else entirely stupid to write about and you wouldn't have eye strain and now require special corrective lenses... 

Honestly, I seriously doubt anyone is still reading this... and I'm actually kinda bored now... I don't even remember why I started reading the original document in the first place or why or how I started writing this here...

But the takeaway is there are no monkey monks and both cappuccino and nasty tempered kleptomaniac monkeys got their names from an order of monks that are really swell guys... I'm not looking up anything about the hippopotamus saint because I don't want to find out I remembered that wrong... I prefer to live in a world where hippopotamuses and kangaroos and possibly sea lions could have been important historical figures.

Anyway... you've read enough for today, so go take a nap or eat something... maybe even rub some eye medication into your eyeballs... you've earned it.

Bye.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,120

yeah, been far too intellectual lately 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,758

McGyver said:

Okay... I did not pay a lot of attention in Catholic school when I was a kid... I drew a lot and wrote long weird stories my English teachers told me were horrible, poorly written, had really bad spelling and grammar and would eventually be the reason I went to hell...

I too had a tendency to write stories in middle school and high school, that an overzealous religious person would probably suggest would be worthy of sending someone to hell. And I still do. That's actually the original reason I got space on a web server. Regardless of the accolades I got from teachers, I couldn't get my family to read what I wrote, so I put it on the internet and let random strangers read it. It got fairly popular for an individual with no marketing budget or even graphics. The web server also came in handy when I realized what I was writing was so messed up that it was probably a good idea for me to remain anonymous to all non-spies who read my text. I didn't much care if the government knew who I was because I had no money or influence so I wasn't on their radar. Discovering DAZ Studio finally enabled me to somewhat illustrate what I was writing, and that was bad. Very bad. It would have been worse if the computer had more memory.

McGyver said:

Megh, this was a test post because of numerous 500 Internal Server Errors... seems to work now.

oh I didn't quote you in my response and now you changed it blush

I look  ...stupid

equallibrium restored 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,994

...I would think cappuccino monkeys would be perpetually wired on caffeine so yeah I could see them being rather on edge. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,472
    edited June 2023

When I lived in downtown Washington, DC.  I saw a lot of cappuccino monkeys in suits at the local Starbucks every morning.  Dancing around, jabbering at each other, making messes at the tables, hovering around & hooting at the barista in faux Italian.  Then leaving en-masse just before their government offices opened.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

It is too hot inside.  I want a fan.

Sfariah D said:

It is too hot inside.  I want a fan.

signing your autograph for them might get you feeling hotter 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

McGyver said:

oh I didn't quote you in my response and now you changed it blush

I look  ...stupid

equallibrium restored 

No, I look stupider... seriously, you should see my hair right now... it's humid out and I was wearing a hat to keep ants out of my hair while I sprayed the rafters in a shed, and now I have a hybrid Drunk Gary Busey mugshot/Sweaty Hitler hairstyle... 
    Sorry, about that, but this thread was perpetually giving those "500 Internal Server Errors" and I was trying to figure out if it had something to do with the amount of text written or if was just this thread, or it was bad timing... other threads were doing the same, but if I waited a minute or two I could post eventually, that nonsense I wrote about shipwrecks and monkey monks seemed to cause an instant 500 error when I hit "post", but if I went to test it in some random very old posts I made a while ago and pasted it there, it posted instantly with no issues... which kinda seemed to confirm it wasn't text amount, but a particular thread... the only reason I thought that was a week or two ago only half of the last page of the "OT- A Thread for Images", I could access all the other pages, except for page 10.

I have no idea what I originally wrote, but I probably amended it without ever seeing that you replied because often I'll refresh the page before I edit or post to see if anyone posted in case whatever I replied is no longer relevant (is anything I write ever?), but for at least a year, it can sometimes take hours for posts to show up that were a few minutes apart... granted many of us are half a planet away, but still that's kinda weird and in my experience this is the only forum where I've ever seen that.

The delay thing along with the inaccurate new post number (I'm only 75% sure it's back) is super annoying.

Also, if equilibrium is restored, then why am I tilting so far to the left?

Nevermind... I seem to have lost a shoe.

The damn ants probably took it.

I couldn't spell equallibarian equestrian equivatlantian ... still cannot and spellcheck is not helping at all blush

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,472
    edited June 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I couldn't spell equallibarian equestrian equivatlantian ... still cannot and spellcheck is not helping at all blush

Well, with all things being equal, I think you are doing OK.yes 

And speaking of ants, well, McGyver was...  My mailbox was full of ants this morning.  Some big bug had gotten in and died, soon to be followed by the undertaker army.  I caught them mid-job.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited June 2023

LeatherGryphon said:

Well, with all things being equal, I think you are doing OK.yes 

And speaking of ants, well, McGyver was...  My mailbox was full of ants this morning.  Some big bug had gotten in and died, soon to be followed by the undertaker army.  I caught them mid-job.frown

Ants.Com has been running a free direct-to-your mailbox introductory subscription recently... You get three weeks of free ants with no obligation and if you chose not to opt out by setting your mailbox on fire, you'll continue to receive ants until you decide you've had enough or the company goes out of business... whichever comes first... considering they also sell AnntCoin*, an innovative and exciting alternative to more successful cryptocurrencies, that could be any minute now.

* AnntCoin... spelled that way because I literally made it up on the fly, but spelled it correctly...  pulled the dumb name right out my butt and threw it on the screen and then said... "Wait... I better check and see that it's not a real thing and then the post will get removed because someone will think I'm disparaging an actual real company, service or product..."

So... AnntCoin is not a real thing, it's entirely made up and imaginary and is in no way meant to reflect on the good name of whatever the hell the other thing is, spelled with only one "n".

What a stupid world in which we live... and yes, yet again I make up a random name for something and discover it's actually a thing.

Sigh.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Don't feel bad, that's only spelled correctly because spellcheck actually worked for once... Apple's spellcheck is so bad recently, that I'm actually becoming better at spelling than it... that's extremely sad... I'm literally spellchecking spellcheck. 
    (to highlight its contempt for proper spelling, spellcheck offered "Special checks" as the first option to replace "spellc...")

Thats a precursor of what's going to be the fate of mankind... fixing the mistakes of the machines and servicing their needs.

Have you ever read a post without checking who wrote it?

if so have you ever read that post and think that you totally agree and you would probably write something similar.  Then look at the avatar and find it oddly similar to yours.  Then you realize it was an old post of yours.

either you asking yourself the same question, or you forgot you answered the question already but you forgot it.

McGyver said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Don't feel bad, that's only spelled correctly because spellcheck actually worked for once... Apple's spellcheck is so bad recently, that I'm actually becoming better at spelling than it... that's extremely sad... I'm literally spellchecking spellcheck. 
    (to highlight its contempt for proper spelling, spellcheck offered "Special checks" as the first option to replace "spellc...")

Thats a precursor of what's going to be the fate of mankind... fixing the mistakes of the machines and servicing their needs.

...I usually copy my posts over to MS Word  that has a reasonable spell check routine (which is far better than the one in Google or here on the Forums).

edited July 2023

I am on Edge

literally, I am using Edge browser as not installed any other browsers on my new C drive yet

it has an extremely overbearing spellcheck AND Grammar checker

that works everywhere except in this DAZ forum post body cheeky

interestingly it brought all my bookmarks and passwords over including Google but the latter did message my iPad for 2FA when I went to gmail and promptly let me know an unknown device was logging in so that's good to know it checks

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am on Edge

literally, I am using Edge browser as not installed any other browsers on my new C drive yet

it has an extremely overbearing spellcheck AND Grammar checker

that works everywhere except in this DAZ forum post body cheeky

interestingly it brought all my bookmarks and passwords over including Google but the latter did message my iPad for 2FA when I went to gmail and promptly let me know an unknown device was logging in so that's good to know it checks

Click the Source button, at the right-hand end of the top toolbar above the post text, and the spellchecker will work - though of course you will have to wade through the HTML formatting code too.

I feel like I'm in a stupidly restrictive home.

...you need to find a better living situation.

kyoto kid said:

...you need to find a better living situation.

This place wasn't supposed to be a forever place.

I wanted a black doll with purple hair and purple eyes. 

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,385

Time, like a phonograph needle tracks in one groove at a time, in one direction at a time. What if Time Travel were possible but the sound that it made was SO AWFUL that no one did it?

Gogger said:

Time, like a phonograph needle tracks in one groove at a time, in one direction at a time. What if Time Travel were possible but the sound that it made was SO AWFUL that no one did it?

What if time were like a phonograph needle but the DJ kept scratching the record for that mix?... maybe that's why people experience deja vu?

What if time were like a phonograph needle but the DJ kept scratching the record for that mix?... maybe that's why people experience deja vu?

....deja vu?

....deja vu?

....deja vu?

....deja

....deja

Sfariah D said:

Stupid forum software... I had the perfect AI generated nightmare picture of an evil cabbage patch doll that matched that description... the (more of violet color) eyes and Medusa-like hair were exquisite... AI really makes some really, really SCARY cabbage patch kids.

edited July 2023

McGyver said:

Gogger said:

....deja vu?

....deja vu?

....deja vu?

....deja

....deja

...when I was in radio I had to "slip cue" records to set up the track to play next.  I wonder if that also had the same effect. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

McGyver said:

Sfariah D said:

Stupid forum software... I had the perfect AI generated nightmare picture of an evil cabbage patch doll that matched that description... the (more of violet color) eyes and Medusa-like hair were exquisite... AI really makes some really, really SCARY cabbage patch kids.

I wish I could upload a photo, but the doll isn't that scary.

This is a purple hair doll and a pink hair doll.

IMG_8772.jpeg
    1341 x 1735 - 2M