UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• @barbult  Thanks!!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869

Thanks for the comments, @Barbult.

I have created the height map with PD Howler 2023, to test its abilities.

Silence - another UltraScenery created from the height map created in PD Howler

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

Stunning work Artini!!

Thanks a lot, @AnEye4Art

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388

I love reading this thread, seeing the beautiful renders and interesting discussions and all. Thanks guys for keeping it running for so long! 

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,075
    edited June 2023

Several of us who had been chatting during the Memorial Day Sale in the days afterward decided to create a bunch of renders with our new stuff. Of the several that I did - because I went a little nuts in buying things at that sale - was this modest effort that I called Duck Pond that was so simplistic that I almost didn't bother to post it. All of the items I posted on that thread I put in my gallery. And of course, though one other item eventually did outpoll it, five-minute creation "Duck Pond" was the most-liked of all of them for days. Moral of the story: Ultrascenery makes it deceptively easy to create fun art.

ducks.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 936K
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • AstraffelAstraffel Posts: 205

Apologies, if I've overlooked any relevant experiments in the older threads.

I have an affinity for arctic and antarctic environments and was wondering if anyone here has tried using UltraScenery to make any polar ecologies? While I would imagine using the plant system to scatter rock and ice formations or snow fields and ice floes, I'm very inexperienced and have not yet invested in the toolbox add-ons.

Regardless, I'm loving the variety of botanica packs and lanscape features I've collected so far, and intend to save any new releases within my wishlist until I can afford them!

• MartinjfrostMartinjfrost Posts: 325

Astrafel said:

Apologies, if I've overlooked any relevant experiments in the older threads.

I have an affinity for arctic and antarctic environments and was wondering if anyone here has tried using UltraScenery to make any polar ecologies? While I would imagine using the plant system to scatter rock and ice formations or snow fields and ice floes, I'm very inexperienced and have not yet invested in the toolbox add-ons.

Regardless, I'm loving the variety of botanica packs and lanscape features I've collected so far, and intend to save any new releases within my wishlist until I can afford them!

In theory if you used Alienator pro and had assets that you could use via that plugin you could swap out existing pants for other objects, it is a matter of trial and error and finding the right ecosystem in ultrascenery which will support the swapped objects scale etc in the way that you want it too, but its possible. I do this when im mocking up ecoligys to see how my plants look before i send them off to Howie to work his magic on.  

• AstraffelAstraffel Posts: 205
    edited June 2023

Martinjfrost said:

In theory if you used Alienator pro and had assets that you could use via that plugin you could swap out existing pants for other objects, it is a matter of trial and error and finding the right ecosystem in ultrascenery which will support the swapped objects scale etc in the way that you want it too, but its possible. I do this when im mocking up ecoligys to see how my plants look before i send them off to Howie to work his magic on.  

Thanks for the advice!

Post edited by Astraffel on

What I'd love to see for USC but don't know it's even possible to make: an ecology with different fields, or maybe just one kind (wheat or barley, something classic) in different seasons. That' be sooo amazing ... 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,452

tsroemi said:

What I'd love to see for USC but don't know it's even possible to make: an ecology with different fields, or maybe just one kind (wheat or barley, something classic) in different seasons. That' be sooo amazing ... 

yes, that would be great. even corn, etc 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,199
    edited June 2023

daveso said:

tsroemi said:

How's this for a quick try? I used Alienator Pro to substitute patches of corn for the apple trees in a TAO ecology. I used Code66 Toolbox II to unpack the corn instances and move and rotate a few to fill in better. I added one lone rogue corn stalk on the wrong side of the fence, I hid some ecology layers like grass and applied a brown mud shader to the ground texture. I added a puddle decal and an old Poser tractor with Iray shaders. 

USC Corn Field_002_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

barbult said:

daveso said:

tsroemi said:

How's this for a quick try? I used Alienator Pro to substitute patches of corn for the apple trees in a TAO ecology. I used Code66 Toolbox II to unpack the corn instances and move and rotate a few to fill in better. I added one lone rogue corn stalk on the wrong side of the fence, I hid some ecology layers like grass and applied a brown mud shader to the ground texture. I added a puddle decal and an old Poser tractor with Iray shaders. 

Oh wow, you're such a wizard! Looking great. I guess one could probably try the same thing with the wheat prop by MartinJFrost, but it's quite old and doesn't have too many variations, if I recall correctly. And it would be so much nicer for peeps with little time like myself if we could just have a ready-made ecology with fields, you know.

While writing this I realize that I would really prefer wheat or barley or any of these staples, not corn so much, because we do have some of this already, and it's also so very typically American and contemporary. I couldn't use corn ecologies for any medieval or 19th century European scene, for instance. So a more generic crop like wheat would be better, IMHO. Hmmmmm, maybe Howie Farkes is wandering around here somewhere, listening ...? 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,756

That is a great cornfield barbult.

I would add a request for demolished versions of those fields for representation of the aftermath of land wars that tear up farmer's fields from ancient times to today.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,452

that cornfield is really good

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,092

Another interesting idea could be doing a Maize Maze through the sweetcorn field.

Regards,

Richard

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    edited June 2023

Yeah, and add some white foam features to the rivers, streams and around the land at the shoreline for USXT. This will add a little more realism to the renders. 

Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,952

barbult said:

daveso said:

tsroemi said:

Your ingenuity never ceases to amaze me.

I grew up in Iowa. A corn field feels like home. Thanks for all the nice comments on my field.

edited June 2023

This will be my 21,000th post in the Daz forums!

A couple things have been bothering me about my corn field.

1. The yellow kernels of the ears are exposed. Growing corn is not husked in the field like that.
    2. The corn stalks are kind of helter-skelter, instead of planted in neat rows. What combine could harvest that field?

So, I made a new texture for the corn to make the yellow part green. Then I copied the TAO ecology that I had used with Alternator Pro and modified it to make a new ecology with single corn stalks in an array arrangement (like the arrangement of the TAO Apple Trees, but closer together for the corm stalks).

I added my stepfather, Albert, surveying his field. He is wearing his overalls and his seed corn hat. He would really be wearing his blue and white striped OshKosh overalls, but I couldn't seem to achieve an appropriate texture, so I used the blue materials that came with the outfit.

USC Corn Field_007_Camera (2).jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    USC Corn Field_006_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,092
    edited June 2023

Just thinking Barbult, you could use a very simple linear array instancing script to create a series of regimented lines for the maize (similar to  this one, but ideally a bit more clever: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7341776/#Comment_7341776) to create the lines.

Just thinking aloud, I need to tweak that script to put in a random Y axis rotation option for this sort of requirement and maybe make the array follow a surface profile in the y axis.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on

UltraScatter can also create a matrix array of instances, but I chose to do it with an edited UltraScenery ecology, because it is clever enough to adjust to the selected terrain feature (roads, river, etc.). Your script could work well to create a large background field where no accomodation of terrain was required. Y rotation would be important, I think, in cases like this, where I had only one corn stalk prop to use. Without rotation, it would look too repetitive.

I tried a wheat field, using Alienator Pro on my corn field, substituting low res wheat from Wild Flower Plants vol 4 - Wheatfields. I don't know how realistic it looks. I don't remember ever seeing a real wheat field. I did change the surface textures to make the wheat more golden.

And of course, uploading is broken still. I can only upload late at night.

barbult said:

I tried a wheat field, using Alienator Pro on my corn field, substituting low res wheat from Wild Flower Plants vol 4 - Wheatfields. I don't know how realistic it looks. I don't remember ever seeing a real wheat field. I did change the surface textures to make the wheat more golden.

And of course, uploading is broken still. I can only upload late at night.

Oooh, I'll be on the look out for that render!  

barbult said:

1. The yellow kernels of the ears are exposed. Growing corn is not husked in the field like that.
    2. The corn stalks are kind of helter-skelter, instead of planted in neat rows. What combine could harvest that field?

So, I made a new texture for the corn to make the yellow part green. Then I copied the TAO ecology that I had used with Alternator Pro and modified it to make a new ecology with single corn stalks in an array arrangement (like the arrangement of the TAO Apple Trees, but closer together for the corm stalks).

I added my stepfather, Albert, surveying his field. He is wearing his overalls and his seed corn hat. He would really be wearing his blue and white striped OshKosh overalls, but I couldn't seem to achieve an appropriate texture, so I used the blue materials that came with the outfit.

Congrats on your 21,000th post! Nice render to mark the milestone as well.

I think Albert is going to have a bit of difficulty harvesting the corn, considering the field appears to be on an uneven hill.

I'm trying to find a short grass set, to create a park in a forest\woodlands.

edited June 2023

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

Congrats on your 21,000th post! Nice render to mark the milestone as well.

I think Albert is going to have a bit of difficulty harvesting the corn, considering the field appears to be on an uneven hill.

Eastern Iowa is like that - rolling hills, but this terrain does look a pretty challenging!
    I wonder what percentage of my 21000 posts are UltraScenery related.

DoctorJellybean said:

It sounds like the grass patches that come with UltraScenery should work. The grass used in the Base Grass layers is flat and thick and park-like. Are you looking  for something different?

barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

It sounds like the grass patches that come with UltraScenery should work. The grass used in the Base Grass layers is flat and thick and park-like. Are you looking  for something different?

I'll try it and see. I may also have a look at this one

https://www.daz3d.com/foreground-blends

and see if I can use with Alienator Pro.