UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,199

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

I'm trying to find a short grass set, to create a park in a forest\woodlands.

It sounds like the grass patches that come with UltraScenery should work. The grass used in the Base Grass layers is flat and thick and park-like. Are you looking  for something different?

I'll try it and see. I may also have a look at this one

https://www.daz3d.com/foreground-blends

and see if I can use with Alienator Pro.

I found Foreground Blends to be one of the most confusing products I have purchased. YMMV, but I wouldn't recommend it. That said, I've never tried it with UltraScenry or Alienator Pro.

edited June 2023

Uploads are working and it isn't even midnight yet! Here is my wheat field I mentioned above. I'm not convinced that it looks very real as a grain crop. Does grain wheat have curly tops like that? I thought it was straight.

USC Wheat Field Alternator Pro_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388

barbult said:

Uploads are working and it isn't even midnight yet! Here is my wheat field I mentioned above. I'm not convinced that it looks very real as a grain crop. Does grain wheat have curly tops like that? I thought it was straight.

Wow, thanks for figuring that out, great job! Yes, it does look a bit weird that all of the ears are bent like this, it's as if it's right after a heavy rain shower. Which would be fine really, but they wouldn't be bending all in different directions like this, they'd be much more uniformly. And otherwise, they are not ramrod straight, but they shouldn't have that kink-like small curve just in the top part if they're healthy. But you can't change the wheat prop itself, so ... Huh, do you think it would be okay to tag MartinJ here and see whether he'd be interested in doing some new 'wheaty' stuff?

tsroemi said:

barbult said:

<snip> Huh, do you think it would be okay to tag MartinJ here and see whether he'd be interested in doing some new 'wheaty' stuff?

Sure, why not.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

@barbuilt

Looking at images from the web and the ears can be straight or bent even in the same field.

So, @MartinJFrost or @HowieFarkes, maybe there's interest in doing some field ecologies, especially with European / traditional staples like wheat or barley? Would go together real well with USC Britain, too!

• MartinjfrostMartinjfrost Posts: 325

tsroemi said:

So, @MartinJFrost or @HowieFarkes, maybe there's interest in doing some field ecologies, especially with European / traditional staples like wheat or barley? Would go together real well with USC Britain, too!

I must admit its crossed my mind a couple of times.  I suspect it would be a doable set.  

Martinjfrost said:

tsroemi said:

I must admit its crossed my mind a couple of times.  I suspect it would be a doable set.  

yes heart Yay!! 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,232
    edited June 2023

HowieFarkes, 

The first post in this new thread is a really Really nice, complete list except for one thing: UltraScenery itself!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,952

@Martinjfrost since you create a lot of plants, garden and park sets would be very useful.

DoctorJellybean said:

@Martinjfrost since you create a lot of plants, garden and park sets would be very useful.

+1, yes, those would also be great, especially with a variety of roses included. I've just noticed that we have only very few of them in the store, which came as a bit of a suprise. It would be lovely to have something like an old-fashioned rose garden! 

edited June 2023

Just thought this would be of interest to some of you, as a new decal set of mine has landed in store, Road Features, Stains, Cracks, and Seams Decals  is a set of 'life events' for road and pavement surfaces, which i made very much with Ultrascnery roads in mind, since we now have the great set of tarmac road features, i thought it might be fun to give them a bit of a life history with things like seams (seen on most roads between sections of tarmack laying) and repairs as well as some stains, and even bubblegum and some micro cracks to add a bit of texutre.

I will be covering this in my next Digital Art Live web session this coming sunda (A Dive in to Decals) which deals with telling a story with decals focussing on road and surface features, including tips on setting the scene up for using them efficiently both in normal scenes and with ultrascenery plus a whol lot of other tips and tricks!  Please look it up Here! 

Find Road Features, Stains, Cracks, and Seams Decals Here

Below is a promo render i made using ultrascenery and the Britain ecoogy along with the road s add on. 

Post edited by Martinjfrost on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,092

Look, I want my 3D stuff to be close to perfect. Not like real life, and I particularly don't want roadworks that are invading every street in my home town to start appearing in my 3D images too. It's way beyond enough as it is already!

So, Just. No. OK?!?

I'd think it a fantastic job if real life road decay here in N Kent wasn't so bad... wink

Regards,

Richard

richardandtracy said:

Look, I want my 3D stuff to be close to perfect. Not like real life, and I particularly don't want roadworks that are invading every street in my home town to start appearing in my 3D images too. It's way beyond enough as it is already!

So, Just. No. OK?!?

I'd think it a fantastic job if real life road decay here in N Kent wasn't so bad... wink

Regards,

Richard

Norwich was my inspiration, the council hasnt met a nice new road or pavement it does not want to put a seam or hole in.... lol   

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,756

England isn't the only place this happens! Colorado and California are notorious for tearing up a road, laying down a brand new surface, just before a utility company comes along to tear it up to lay new drainage, electrical, or 5G ... (name your favorite irritant) under it. Or it snows, rains, or the ice builds up and the job was done so poorly that the road caves in constantly. And in California you get to deal with the occasional earthquake split just for fun.

I bet prior to cars, people had the same issues, except with mud, night soil, cobbles missing, ruts, ... when they rode hoses, or wagons, carts...

Your decals went into my cart ASAP, no questions asked.

Just a vanilla US image using 2 terrains, reflecting the warm weather we have at the moment and what I'd love to do.

Regards,

Richard.

richardandtracy said:

Just a vanilla US image using 2 terrains, reflecting the warm weather we have at the moment and what I'd love to do.

Regards,

Richard.

That turned out great! I'd be careful about jumping in that stream, though. Those UltraScenery streams are pretty shallow. wink

The composition is so seamless, I can't even tell the you used two terrains.

edited July 2023
    You might well be surprised about the river depth. In a similar circumstance, I was very surprised: Many years ago my parents took over a smallholding bounded by the headwaters of the River Torridge in North Devon, at a point where it was around 15 ft wide and 12 inches deep in summer. We had a bullock get into the river and charge upstream, but because of the banks it couldn't get out. My brother and I got upstream of it, jumped in and headed it back. During that process, much to our surprise, we found a number of holes in the river bed at least 6ft deep where we had to swim even though the river looked no different from the surface. The lasses are jumping into one in that scene. Honest Guv.. Regards, Richard.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on

richardandtracy said:

You might well be surprised about the river depth. In a similar circumstance, I was very surprised: Many years ago my parents took over a smallholding bounded by the headwaters of the River Torridge in North Devon, at a point where it was around 15 ft wide and 12 inches deep in summer. We had a bullock get into the river and charge upstream, but because of the banks it couldn't get out. My brother and I got upstream of it, jumped in and headed it back. During that process, much to our surprise, we found a number of holes in the river bed at least 6ft deep where we had to swim even though the river looked no different from the surface. The lasses are jumping into one in that scene. Honest Guv.. Regards, Richard.

Hey, off topic, but I can't find the right thread - your G8 to G9 pose converter is fantastic for dealing with hierarchical poses. I can run the hierarchical pose with G8 and then use your converter to transfer that G8 pose to G9. I used it with the Z Luxury Morphing Office Chair for G8 and 8.1.I had to do a few small tweaks, because I used a morphed character, but it worked very well.

Z Office Chair MSO Dala scaled_001_Camera.jpg
    687 x 1112 - 354K
    That's really nice to hear, thank you. I know the fact it needs to have G8F/M loaded makes it less usable than a convertor that reads a duf file, but knowing that it also has advantages is a nice counterbalance. That image of yours is really quite something. The dress draping is perfect, and the crossed legs without an explosion during simulation are impressive. Regards, Richard.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 74

I finally got to use Ultra Scenery after a long time. It's a simple render using Mossy Hollow. You can find the list of all items used in my gallery.

GALLERY IMAGE

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 74

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard.

Lovely render. It really captures the spirit of summer. 

Thank you BlueFox, much appreciated.

I played about with the time of day, and eventually added ground fog to the USXT morning setting, and also added a couple of Thingiverse scans of Roman artifacts into the rotunda to add interest (statue 'Polyhymnia' by GeoffreyMarchal and MARBLE ROMAN PLINTH by CopEkat3d - CC Attribution, non commercial license). 

Took a fair time to render on my RTX 3060 at 4k - about the same length as a 2k image on my old GTX 1060. Quite pleased despite the time taken to proof the image before firing off the final render.

Regards,

Richard

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

Pretty cool.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,452
    edited July 2023

using the desert  . need dirt and tire tracks ... Has anyone seen them?

desert chi and bike.jpg
    800 x 640 - 818K
    Post edited by daveso on

daveso said:

using the desert  . need dirt and tire tracks ... Has anyone seen them?

Martin J Frost has several Iray decal packs that might be useful to you.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316

Martinjfrost said:

richardandtracy said:

So, Just. No. OK?!?

Regards,

Richard

Norwich was my inspiration, the council hasnt met a nice new road or pavement it does not want to put a seam or hole in.... lol   

Lol - I live near and work in Norwich this is so true.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,452

time for a step up in USC ... what is wanted?  

Straight roads ...  
    the ability to match up several USC segments to create larger terrain. 
    particles - like an add on that has snowflakes, leaves, dust, etc in the air and on the ground ... 

What else?  

Oh, maybe a better way to control the camera .. on USC and XT. 
    Placement of figures ... the ability to place wherever wanted. 

What else? 

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    edited July 2023

daveso said:

Straight roads ...  
    particles - like an add on that has snowflakes, leaves, dust, etc in the air and on the ground ... 

What else?  

What else? 

Camera placement is a big deal for me too. Then, maybe in the future, (I know this was discussed) an option for higher resolution terrains. 

Post edited by AnEye4Art on

daveso said:

Straight roads ...

A straight road option would be nice to have.I think the ones we have are curved, because that makes it easier to compose a scene without showing the end of the road running straight into the trees of the background - just my guess.

Or just larger terrains without having to patch them together.

Aren't there already existing product that do this kind of thing? I think i've seen this kind thing in the store. Why would it need to be UltraScenery specific? UltraScatterPro can scatter whatever you want on the UltraScenery ground or even in the air (volume scatter). For the ground scatter, you can use the UltraScenery feature maps in UltraScatterPro to limit the scatter to the forest, field, road, etc.

What else?  

What else? 

These need more explanation. How do you want to control the camera? What problems are you having? I created a bunch of UltraScenery camera presets for some features, so I can use them over and over. I shared some of the presets in the forum a long time ago. The easiest thing is to create a camera over water, because water is always at elevation 0. Just move your camera height to eye level (in CM in the Y translation of Parameters pane).  In XT, you can do the same - over water. If you want a camera on the ground, mcasual has a nifty script, mcDropToTerrain2, to drop an item (camera) to a specified height above or below ground (The UltraScenery or Xt terrain). Totte has toolbox scripts to show instances that may be blocking your camera and let you move or delete them.

What is preventing you from placing figures wherever you want them? The mcasual script can help get them on the ground, if that is your problem. V3Digitimes has a script (Face To Face And Virtual Origins)  to allow you to select a polygon on your character and move it on a polygon on the terrain. That can put the bottom of your figures foot or shoe on a spot on the terrain.