The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

LeatherGryphon said:

PerttiA said:

Apparently Harry has returned to the land of the living...

Have two traps, both the type one cannot steal the bait (chocolate) from without being caught, but this morning they were empty, no chocolate and no thief.

I've heard (from particularly uninformed people) that under certain conditions, chocolate evaporates.surprise  Regardless, as disturbing as that sounds, I never let it sit around long enough to find out.  I don't think any critter lets chocolate evaporate away.  It's like trying to count the licks it takes to get into a TootsiePop, you just can't help yourself.  Crunch!smiley

I love dark chocolate. Around 87% of Dark chocolates are a very potent source of antioxidants, improving blood flow and lowering blood pressure. It raises good cholesterol and protects the body from bad cholesterol. Dark chocolates can also reduce the risk of heart disease. They protect the skin from sun tanning. They could improve the functioning of the brain. Dark chocolate contains serotonin, which relaxes the brain's neurotransmitters and helps us sleep. Yummy goodness.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

My coffee evaporates faster on my desk than in the kitchen.  Especially when I am using my computer or doing something on my desk.

• I also love dark chocolate. I usually have some of the 92% cacao kicking around. Chocolate-covered chili peppers are really good too, both taste-wise and health-wise. These are things I despised when I was young, and yet now I love them.

• Complaint: My gas central heating boiler has died. Non-complaint: It was at least 32 years old. A replacement boiler will use less gas, and we already have the lowest gas bill of all my colleagues even though the house is the second biggest. Also, if the new one lasts 10 years (dubious), it may pay for itself from the savings in gas from the old boiler. And in 10 years when the new boiler dies, heat pumps will be both more effective and less necessary.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

It's 7C (45F) outside, 18.5C (65F) inside and rising, it may get close to 20C (68F) at midnight (in 1.5 hours) with just the computer doing the work.

I think I need to start the heater next week or get a bigger computer cheeky

• Yep, dark chocolate.  Been my favorite for decades.  I now find milk chocolate as too sweet and overpowering.  

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Nice foggy scene out my kitchen window this morning.  With the old "Whirl-In" ice cream restaurant gone, the view shows fog rolling in the bottom of the valley over the road, through the town park, and down across the Conewango Creek [con-eh-wahn-go] into the swamp.  Much better view than the side of a deteriorating building abandoned for 50 years.  Yay!

Non-complaint:  Last years Social Security payout increase has finally allowed me to get all my bills caught up and start putting significant cash back into savings, even after my eye fiasco in May.

Complaint:  Thursday I go to the dentist to have him extract $1400 from my savings.sad   Harumph, so much for thinking I'd finally get ahead this year.frown

...for myself, next year's much smaller Adjustment will pretty much all go to a rent increase. indecision  

Complaint: My wife comes to me and asks me what I think about the Romans. Out The Blue Romans. I never even thought about it until I was asked. So I thought for a moment. I don't have time to think about them; I am too busy caring for you and me to think about Romans. I said and walked away. 

She came to me and asked to go and look at her computer, and she said read this. So, I read this post on Facebook on how often men think about Romans. Women go to their men and ask what they think about Rome. Then I see how often men think about Romans. I look at my wife and say, if you ask men about Romans, they will think about Romans. This is by no means that men think about Romans all the time. It's a setup. 

See the stuff you miss when you aren't on social media.

Some Facebook Users are Just weird. 

• LeatherGryphon said:

Yep, dark chocolate.  Been my favorite for decades.  I now find milk chocolate as too sweet and overpowering.  

I agree. Sometimes my throat constricts from the sweetness, so I pretty much avoid it now. It used to be with some companies that the milk chocolate produced for the European markets contained less sugar than that produced by the same companies for North American markets. I don't know if that's still the case. I would wait until holiday time and stock up on the imported stuff.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited October 2023

On occasion I'll come home from the drugstore with a big bag of those little individually wrapped, tiny, mini-bars of Hershey's dark chocolate morsels.blush  There should be a law against reducing the price of chocolate during holidays.  It makes them too easily available.frown  And I really shouldn't try to stock up a year's supply at once.  I end up with very short years.blush

But when I'm feeling extravagant, and they're on sale, it's a small bag of Dove dark morsels, or a couple of Dove dark Easter bunnies, or some those little bags of Lindt dark chocolate squares of varying cocoa concentrations that I reach for.  Mmmm... dark chocolate...yes

When I lived in downtown Washington DC, we were just a couple blocks from Union Station, it is a train as well as a Metro stop and an up-scale shopping mall, so we'd end up at Union Station a lot.  The old station's grand waiting room has been refurbished and is an amazing space with restaurants, and various boutiques.  Dove Godiva chocolate had a boutique and we'd always make a trip past it to pick up a couple of outrageously priced morsels individually.  And on special occasions, a whole box of a dozen or so.  Mmmm... Godiva...

Complaint:  From what I can see via YouTube videos,  Built in 1923, Union Station in Washington DC, now fully refurbished, still serves as a modern subway and train station, but the fancy grand lobby and the modern restaurant/boutique & mall areas of it, are also suffering from the decline of malls in general.  It's a shame, because it's such a lovely old place.

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=573208298&rlz=1C1ASUM_enUS995US995&q=images+Union+Station+Washing&tbm=isch&source=univ&fir=CoYRv6I-00FrRM%2ClAKVw7aNVSfjaM%2C_%3BtJCIEURUwC25-M%2Ca-qe4oa1zcK_fM%2C_%3B9KG72Ic8AfzIuM%2CmTV8Q5c67nCdPM%2C_%3B1-saekb9jWIHDM%2Ca-qe4oa1zcK_fM%2C_%3Bn8WEqyDJu6OBBM%2C3PwSRH_D-elJkM%2C_%3Bjo4Q1nSTuQBSyM%2CmuSwE5pDT8j-fM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kTA-c9jd3AJeEQRj8Dzq-Pc-h31iQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjk4bv8o_OBAxUIvokEHReIB1gQjJkEegQIBxAC&biw=1719&bih=1273&dpr=1

Oops:  Just remembered, it was a Godiva boutique not Dove.  It's been so long since I had any of the special Godiva morsels, that I'd even forgotten who made them.  Oops!blush

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Some of the best dark chocolate bars I have eaten come from Switzerland while stationed in Germany. I am partial to Ghirardelli's intense dark chocolate with 86% cacao.

What am I doing?  Oh trying to schedule my weekend and Monday rides.  I am also waiting for laundry detergent.  I also just saw a sewing pattern piece fly to the back of my desk area.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

dark chocolate is like laxative to me devil

Milk chocolate can be in bigger quantities but at least I can eat some

edited October 2023

Complaint:  Price of coffee.  What's the deal with the price of Folgers instant decaf coffee?  My local store hasn't carried it for months, and Amazon has the 8 ounce jars of regular coffee for about $5 or $6 dollars with PRIME free shipping.  But the decaf version is about three times as expensive at about $15 or $16 even with "free" shipping.surprise  This is worse than it was when I kvetched about this a few months ago.frown  Are they just not making it anymore and we're digging the bottom of the barrel of the world's supply?  I even found a single 8oz jar of Folgers decaf selling through Amazon for $24.  WTF???  I can understand processing differences between regular and decaf coffee affecting the price, but 300% more???   I need to re-evaluate my attraction to Folgers decaf.sad  We are Nomad. We are Nomad. We are complete. We are instructed. Our purpose is clear. Sterilize imperfections. Sterilize imperfections. Nomad! Sterilize! Sterilize! Nomad! Sterilize! Must contact creator, must sterilize, sterilize, sterilize...  

I loved that episode.

edited October 2023

Compliant: Had a sleep study.

ASSESSMENT

1. Severe obstructive sleep apnea based upon one night of study.

2. Severe sleep hypoxemia associated with respiratory events.

3. Severe snoring.

I'm looking at this and thinking, what?

My reply to the Doctor Alien is because they like Probing.

I am Having a problem with this test. The first and foremost issue is the O2 sensor. It worked one night but not the next. The next night, I would lie down, and the O2 light would turn red. I would stand up, and the light would turn green. I tried for two nights to get the second night in, but the same thing happened. So, how can I trust a test when there is an issue with the equipment? Is there a way to have it down in a closed setting for my comfort of Mind?

How do I know that the test was accurate? It might have had a problem that night, also.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

I have this battery operated clock.  It somehow got wet years ago.  Maybe the batteries needs be replaced?  or maybe not?

Complaint: So I'm awake and usually in bed by 9 pm. it's O:dark thirty (1:20 am CST), and I get to thinking about the Sleep Study because I can't sleep. I reread it, and I overlooked the several snoring parts. So, I said to myself, Self, did you notice that? I said yeah, I saw; somehow, it could tell when someone is snoring (listening device). I said Self, how loud does your wife snore? I said loud, very loud.

I ask if anyone would trust this test without requesting a do-over in a closed setting. I'll go along with sleep apnea, which has been diagnosed before, in the same manner as testing with an arm device that felt like a lead weight on our arm. I think I remember hitting my head with it while rolling over.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,883

AgitatedRiot said:

Complaint: So I'm awake and usually in bed by 9 pm. it's O:dark thirty (1:20 am CST)

There wouldn't be a colon in "zero dark thirty", and if there were it would be after "dark", not before it.

Gordig said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Complaint: So I'm awake and usually in bed by 9 pm. it's O:dark thirty (1:20 am CST)

There wouldn't be a colon in "zero dark thirty", and if there were it would be after "dark", not before it.

Honestly it would be Zero Dark Thirty.

“O dark thirty” is a colloquial expression used to refer to an unspecified time in the early morning before the sun has risen. The phrase is based on the way military time is said aloud, where “oh” is a common way of saying the number 0. Here are some examples of how it can be used in a sentence:

“Why on earth are we meeting at o dark thirty? The only thing we should be doing at this hour is sleeping!”

“We’ll have to leave at o dark thirty if we want to reach Las Cruces before sundown.”

“Omar’s dog always wakes up at zero dark thirty demanding to be let outside.”

So, I put a colon in between instead of a space, and the phrase's meaning came through. Sorry 

my colon at 0 dark thirty better be asleep too blush

edited October 2023

WendyLuvsCatz said:

This is my favorite Colonna.devil 

JerryColonna.jpg
    300 x 300 - 18K

LeatherGryphon said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

This is my favorite Colonna.devil 

I see you Have Jokes and they're funny as hell. 

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited October 2023

Hi, Folks!

Been busy all summer working on my house...or more accurately, having OTHERS work on my house, lol!  Recently installed new lighting in the kitchen and outside, started putting in smart switches everywhere, got a couple of new porcelain thrones for the bathrooms, and have been doing a whole bunch of decluttering.  The county landfill's not filled up yet, so I still have a ways to go!

The weather has cooled off here in Central Florida, and I've got the windows open and some Doobie Brothers playing through the breeze.  Looking forward to Halloween next, my favorite holiday.  We still get lots of trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood, although it has drastically fallen off in recent years.  Highest number was about 250...but that was before Covid.  Last year was about 80 kids, I think.

Homeowner's insurance was fixing to more than double for me to something over $7k, but my agent found me a policy that takes into account all of my hurricane and wind-mitigation improvements, so that's a good thing.  I may be looking to move farther away from the city in about 3-5 years.  Want a patch of land big enough to grow stuff on, even after putting in a lap pool.

Not doing any 3D lately, but one of these days, I'll have my art studio done and will have put my music studio back together again.  The Art studio will be used for analog drawing and painting, and both studios will support the music addiction. 

Been working out and eating better too.  Eating a lot more meat protein now, and I think it is making some of those little annoying physical infirmities go away.  It's also (believe it or not) helping me to lose weight.  Who knew?

I hope you are all well and that we haven't lost anybody in my absence!  surprise 

Okay, it's time for me to head to the kitchen and make myself a late lunch...maybe a steak or salmon sandwich!  Have a great rest of your weekend, everybody, and don't forget to "wohohoooooh, listen to the music...all the time!"  <see what I did there?>

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
    edited October 2023

People keep telling me that I'm funny.surprise  Perhaps they're referring to my ironicly defeated satirical mutterings?  Either that, or it's my face.indecision

Oh, and hi, welcome back Pixel from the sub-tropics.yes

• Complaint: It's getting cold but I refuse to turn the heat on in October. It's a "me" thing. Heating costs are way too high and I refuse to pay more than I have to, considering we generally get 5 months of snow here and it gets down to -35C, sometimes colder. 

Non-complaint: Baking and cooking creates heat. I've been baking and cooking lots to freeze.

Non-complaint: I have furry bed warmers. laugh 

20230811_175053_resized.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 492K

how do you fit in their bed?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited October 2023

...I prefer  "Beer Thrity" or "WIne O'Clock". 

sazzyazzca said:

Complaint: It's getting cold but I refuse to turn the heat on in October. It's a "me" thing. Heating costs are way too high and I refuse to pay more than I have to, considering we generally get 5 months of snow here and it gets down to -35C, sometimes colder. 

...I dread the approaching cold as well for the same reason. Granted winters don't get anywhere near as bad here but, after some 43 years out here in the Northwwest (transplant from north central Wisconisn where below 0 "Fs" are also common) I've become acclimated (and winters here are also very damp as well).

My place just has one of those in the wall heaters (like you find in motels in the south and at the beach) which is terribly inefficient and only keeps the area by the bed slightly warm.  Adding  a second heater near the desk (like one of those oil filled ones) will only increase the power bill that much more.  I can wrap up in blankets when I go to sleep, but it's difficult to type on the keyboard at my desk while wearing gloves  .  My dyslexia and arthritis already make it difficult enough to avoid typos.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

how do you fit in their bed?

By the time I go to bed, my chair is warmed up and some of them crawl into a pile in it. The dog's bed is on the floor beside mine complete with big pillows and blankets, but in cold weather, she usually crawls into bed with me sometime during the night. I do have sleeping stations for the cats throughout my room and the house. When it's really cold, some of the cats crawl under the covers. Strangely enough, I have a queen-sized bed upstairs, but never sleep on it, haven't in over 2 decades. I used to work midnights, so I put a twin bed in my office because it was the quietest spot in the house to sleep while the rest of the family was up and about. It became my little haven and I've slept here ever since, even after the kids moved out. The cats tend to stay at the various sleeping stations in my room at night, even though they have all kinds of other spots to hang out. They use the other spots during the day. All the animals are really good about moving if I tell them to.

kyoto kid said:

sazzyazzca said:

Complaint: It's getting cold but I refuse to turn the heat on in October. It's a "me" thing. Heating costs are way too high and I refuse to pay more than I have to, considering we generally get 5 months of snow here and it gets down to -35C, sometimes colder. 

...I dread the approaching cold as well for the same reason. Granted winters don't get anywhere near as bad here but, after some 43 years out here in the Northwwest (transplant from north central Wisconisn where below 0 "Fs" are also common) I've become acclimated (and winters here are also very damp as well).

My place just has one of those in the wall heaters (like you find in motels in the south and at the beach) which is terribly inefficient and only keeps the area by the bed slightly warm.  Adding  a second heater near the desk (like one of those oil filled ones) will only increase the power bill that much more.  I can wrap up in blankets when I go to sleep, but it's difficult to type on the keyboard at my desk while wearing gloves  .  My dyslexia and arthritis already make it difficult enough to avoid typos.

I bought a "Comfy", which is essentially a massive sweatshirt with a thick sherpa pile inside that comes down to my knees. There are knockoffs on the market, but they're not as warm and the wind goes right through the cheap ones. Mine is warm enough to wear outside in weather well below freezing and I have sheepskin slippers that cover the ankles. If my feet or ankles are cold, the rest of me is cold. Fortunately, winters here are usually a "dry" cold, so my arthritis is usually not too bad in winter. But in spring and fall when it's raining and cold, or whenever the barometric pressure drops, the pain really ramps up. "Wet" cold is just horrible! It feels much colder than what the thermometer says. One thing I can highly recommend for arthritis is an anti-inflammatory diet. It helps me tremendously.

edited October 2023

How will a gaggle of old men politely discussing European political matters help manage arthritis?surprise  Silly rabbit!indecision

This discussion has been closed.