The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,393

Gordig said:

Rezca said:

Minor itty bitty complaint'ish in that I found out a show I used to watch back in 1998/1999  was getting a new series but its a Continuity Reboot. I guess its easier to just start over when doing something with a series that's over twenty years old.  I think the art-shift is kind of neat though.  

Just found out about the new Trigun?

Yeah,  going to watch it later when I've got more time but reboots always make me a bit uneasy~ 

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

Compliant: Salespeople and the brutal tactics. I got to book it today to get this horrible price on a new carpet.

• Pressure sales tactics get my back up. I always advise the salesman that they have just lost a guaranteed sale because of their sale conditions. I also say 'If the price is not stable enough to last at least week, I assume neither is the company, and they're doing a closing down sale and not telling me. So, if I take up the offer, I will be throwing my money away. Which I won't do. Oh, and good bye, the door's that way.'

Regards,

Richard

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

AgitatedRiot said:

Compliant: Salespeople and the brutal tactics. I got to book it today to get this horrible price on a new carpet.

Didn't you have any tokens? 

edited October 2023

PerttiA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Not for them, there carpet bag salesperson. They wouldn't even send me an estimate to my email. The last thing they said to me was, Don't you hate when both decision-makers are not around?

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on

AgitatedRiot said:

PerttiA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Not for them, there carpet bag salesperson. They wouldn't even send me an estimate to my email. The last thing they said to me was, Don't you hate when both decision-makers are not around?

Yeah... A few years back there was a crew going around in the village my mom lives, selling new roofs. She came close to buying a new roof for 15 thousand euros (a little more in USD), luckily she said to the salesman that she needs her sons to approve as well.
    At the time I was in a position to know the price of the materials and had enough experience on similar jobs to calculate the price for the labor etc. and I ended up in about half of the offered price.

When I went to my mom's, the salesman attacked me with "This is the deal, here and now because they are in the area". When I told them the same can be done in half the price, he said "Yes, but it's not done by US..." laugh

Mom's 70 year old roof is made of thick sheets and even though the galvanized sheet has turned brown in some areas, it will still outlast anything they would put up today with only a taste of metal between layers of paint.

edited October 2023

PerttiA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

PerttiA said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Yeah... A few years back there was a crew going around in the village my mom lives, selling new roofs. She came close to buying a new roof for 15 thousand euros (a little more in USD), luckily she said to the salesman that she needs her sons to approve as well.
    At the time I was in a position to know the price of the materials and had enough experience on similar jobs to calculate the price for the labor etc. and I ended up in about half of the offered price.

When I went to my mom's, the salesman attacked me with "This is the deal, here and now because they are in the area". When I told them the same can be done in half the price, he said "Yes, but it's not done by US..." laugh

Mom's 70 year old roof is made of thick sheets and even though the galvanized sheet has turned brown in some areas, it will still outlast anything they would put up today with only a taste of metal between layers of paint.

While looking for a house, I drove by my childhood home, which still had the same metal roof. I crushed the numbers, and I would have to pay more taxes to end up same amount of money in the long run, so no more looking.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • The last time I bought a TV, they hounded me to get an extended warranty. I had both the salesman and his superior hassling me at the same time. I finally told them if they said one more word about it, I was walking out without buying anything and I'd be returning anything else I had bought that was still within the return date. They wisely backed off. I am not someone who takes kindly to pressure tactics. 

• Complaint:  Three hours in the dentist chair this morning.frown  Got my 6 month cleaning appointment moved immediately ahead of my new crown appointment, One hour cleaning plus two X-Rays, then two hours getting crowned.  Dentist also extracted my monthly income from my bank.crying  Tomorrow, it's off, the other direction, to my GP doctor for yet another 6 month checkup, and ideas for new diseases she wants to scare me with if'n I don't eat like a bird and exercise like a jock.  Cardiologist and Urologist are waiting in the wings too.frown

I'm learning to dislike October, and April, they apparently belong to my doctors, and gives them an excuse to pick my pocket every 182.5 days.  Bah humbug!angry

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,107

I don't like paying for warenty for stuff.  I wish the warenty on electronics would include all repairs free for as long as the warenty is still good.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

Well that's interesting I just got my Utube account blocked /disabled cause I couldn't figure out how to get my ADBlocker to not work on Utube ,or let Utube show ads but not other sites .....horse apples ,I've had that same ADBlocker running since I got my first computer ......well gonna miss Utube I guess .

• carrie58 said:

Well that's interesting I just got my Utube account blocked /disabled cause I couldn't figure out how to get my ADBlocker to not work on Utube ,or let Utube show ads but not other sites .....horse apples ,I've had that same ADBlocker running since I got my first computer ......well gonna miss Utube I guess .

This will help. It's a free open source program that lets you watch YT ad free, and you can import your subscriptions from YT. https://freetubeapp.io/

zombietaggerung said:

carrie58 said:

This will help. It's a free open source program that lets you watch YT ad free, and you can import your subscriptions from YT. https://freetubeapp.io/

wow thank you ,now to figure it out !!

carrie58 said:

Yeah the site's going downhill reaaaal quick.  As if it hasn't already for the past few years but now its going into full nosedive. 

edited October 2023

Non complaint; Today was payday. Due to some unforseen expenses, the wallet was getting thin, but now I have a brand new prepaid CC to take advantage of the gift card discount smiley

Post edited by PerttiA on

Complaint-NonComplaint hybrid:   Look at all the 80% ~ 90% off stuff in the store right now :O

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited October 2023

Complaint:  Uber prices at noon, in the boonies.  Took an Uber to my doctor this morning.  I live 5 miles east of the local city.  My doctor is another 5 miles farther east of the city than I am.  Getting there at 10:00AM wasn't too bad, just $7 more than the $15 cost for a ride toward the city.  But by time my appointment was over, it was approaching noon, and all the city Ubers were busy.  Price had gone up another $5,​ but I couldn't get any class of ride (from $15 economy to $28 XL) to accept the call.frown  I finally got another message on the app that suggested for $5 more I could request "Priority" service.  I accepted it, and got a driver to book it.  But I'd have to wait 35 minutes for him to arrive and now the price was up to $35 pre tip. surprisefrown  However, things worked out.  Two minutes later I was paying my bill at the restaurant that I got lunch at, and complaining about the high price and unavailability of Uber service in the boonies, when someone in the restaurant offered to take me home.  So I cancelled the Uber (didn't even get a cancellation charge).  I tried to pay the guy, but he refused it.  So, I got home for free.  Wheee...smiley

Non-complaint:  Found my symphony buddy.  The Uber driver to the doctor's office knew someone who might be interested in going to the Rachmaninoff event in Buffalo.  I gave him my card, and later got a call from a guy who is interested.smiley  He's a church organist, and he even knows my brother's wife.  So, probably no worries about wierd people asking about the nature of my sexual activity, based on a harmless, bland  "Pennysaver" newspaper ad. (It happened last time.frown)  

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited October 2023

carrie58 said:

I enabled ads on YouTube in Adblocker only a few days ago because I was warned of the policy changes and risk of losing one's Google Account by a popular Youtuber I sometimes watch.

But the thing is I already had years ago but Adblocker somehow re-enabled itself, BTW I have to enable ads on DAZ too if I want the site to work correctly

they should point it out themselves in sthe spammy newsletters I get having 6 channels instead of going scorched earth

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited October 2023

Regarding ad blockers:  I'm beginning to see Internet ads as similar to the swarms of skin and gut bacteria on our bodies.  Disgusting if you think about them.  Yet amazingly, actually necessary for overall health.  Regardless, I feel much better after a good shower and puke.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

carrie58 said:

I enabled ads on YouTube in Adblocker only a few days ago because I was warned of the policy changes and risk of losing one's Google Account by a popular Youtuber I sometimes watch.

But the thing is I already had years ago but Adblocker somehow re-enabled itself, BTW I have to enable ads on DAZ too if I want the site to work correctly

they should point it out themselves in sthe spammy newsletters I get having 6 channels instead of going scorched earth

I would have but I couldn't figureout how to do it  ....so oh well

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

carrie58 said:

...I've been getting pop up notices about that recently as well.  A real pain as YouTube is my ,ain source for music as I cannot afford those streaming services plus I primarily tend to listen to classical the most  as well as I like making my own playlists instead of using someone else's 

edited October 2023

kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

...I've been getting pop up notices about that recently as well.  A real pain as YouTube is my ,ain source for music as I cannot afford those streaming services plus I primarily tend to listen to classical the most  as well as I like making my own playlists instead of using someone else's 

oh, my Adblock probably blocked the popups blush

on my browser enabling as simple as clicking the privacy protection icon and turn off for this site

adblock.png
    299 x 468 - 21K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

So far I still have access to my music videos that I'd saved .......

..,I have Adblock as well and have been getting the popups,  however I can click out of them without disabling it (for now) 

BTW is off just turned on for that screenshot yes

it messes with some displayed stuff on it thinks are ads

...ah yes on this site.  Indeed it does interfere. 

I got a bit mixed up and thought it was a reference to the YouTube popups. 

edited October 2023

kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

90% of the tutorials and lessons and whatever I use are on YT,  so thats a pain as well :/

Can only hope that this ends up backfiring on Google so they withdraw the "We're blocking access if you don't disable your AB!"  deal.   The ads they like showing are usually pretty bad too;  long, LONG ads - some have been longer than the videos I was watching -  and the number of times I've gotten 'very inappropriate'  ad content on their site in the past with AB disabled is insane.  So.... Yeah.

Post edited by Rezca on
  • Our local newspaper site gets stroppy about people using adblockers while visiting their site. Given that the news they purveyed was under half the screen real estate and it was hard work to find the article, I doubt I'll miss the local news. Regards, Richard

Oh right, and one of YouTube's primary reasons for suggesting we disable the AdBlocker is so "Content creators can still get paid".  Considering that YT's putting ads even on de-monitized videos and channels...  Nobody but YT's getting anything from that!  And the net income from ads for the creators is pretty trivial anyway unless they're a multi-million followers channel and when they are they get more from Tips/Stream-Donations/Patreon than they ever do from the Ads...

edited October 2023

Rezca said:

kyoto kid said:

carrie58 said:

90% of the tutorials and lessons and whatever I use are on YT,  so thats a pain as well :/

Can only hope that this ends up backfiring on Google so they withdraw the "We're blocking access if you don't disable your AB!"  deal.   The ads they like showing are usually pretty bad too;  long, LONG ads - some have been longer than the videos I was watching -  and the number of times I've gotten 'very inappropriate'  ad content on their site in the past with AB disabled is insane.  So.... Yeah.

...most, if not all of them are also for products and services I have no interest in, have no use for, or can afford.  Given that I am already paying 70$ a month just for my connection (200 speed) it is frustrating to deal with.

When I still had a television and cable service I quit because I was tired of paying a monthly bill just to be bombarded by several minutes of adverts about every 8 - 10 minutes (and on certian cable channels they repeated about every third advert break).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
This discussion has been closed.