The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• I know Draagonstorm died but yes we lost quite a few and maybe DiscoBob was among them, I just recalled the name with discombobulated

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,726

McGyver said:

Noticed a change in the thread title... Reminds me of this album...

Ah yes, I recall when this album was first added to the streaming music services. 119 of the 120 tracks were available individually for 99 cents each, but the one song everybody wanted was "album only". Also, the original album was an early example of the "Mandela Effect" in which everybody thought the album was actually called "Disco Chive" because of the artwork and the theme of disco and chives. It significantly decreased the sales of the album because the search engine couldn't actually handle any search query with an O in it. Oddly enough, searching for Disc[zero] Chive worked.

Also, I'm afraid I don't understand... The title of this thread has been the same since the beginning of time, almost two and a half years ago when WendyLuvsCatz saw this post. As a precaution, I've run a full system scan and found no errors in my database or algorithms.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

NylonGirl said:

McGyver said:

Ah yes, I recall when this album was first added to the streaming music services. 119 of the 120 tracks were available individually for 99 cents each, but the one song everybody wanted was "album only". Also, the original album was an early example of the "Mandela Effect" in which everybody thought the album was actually called "Disco Chive" because of the artwork and the theme of disco and chives. It significantly decreased the sales of the album because the search engine couldn't actually handle any search query with an O in it. Oddly enough, searching for Disc[zero] Chive worked.

Also, I'm afraid I don't understand... The title of this thread has been the same since the beginning of time, almost two and a half years ago when WendyLuvsCatz saw this post. As a precaution, I've run a full system scan and found no errors in my database or algorithms.

No, the title has changed several times.  The part in the sqare brackets, at least. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited November 2023

Gaslighting aside, yes, the title has changed.  Many times.  Perhaps, in other languages the bracketed text may have been dropped or ignored, but yes, the title has changed.   

"...sttttterillize"

"Captain, there is a danger."

"...sttteeerrrriiiiilillliiiizzze..."

Then again, aside from possible proof at the "WayBackMachine" site, we could all be living in a different universe from yesterday.  Just slip slidin' away into other universes.surprise  I wanna find one with world peace, but I'm afraid it will be just rocks.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Non-Complaint: I love to cook, so the holidays are great fun.

Complaint: What is not fun is digging out all the pots and pans and mixing bowls, only to find a can of ERG drink that my wife got back in 2001 to celebrate Jeff Gordon's win of his last championship race in 2001 exploded all over my cookware, that I haven't used in a couple of years (22 yearswink) because we had no one over. Invite someone for a holiday meal, and walls start popping up, keeping you from cooking. Surprised Ants are speeding around the house.

• AgitatedRiot said:

Non-Complaint: I love to cook, so the holidays are great fun.

Complaint: What is not fun is digging out all the pots and pans and mixing bowls, only to find a can of ERG drink that my wife got back in 2001 to celebrate Jeff Gordon's win of his last championship race in 2001 exploded all over my cookware, that I haven't used in a couple of years (22 yearswink) because we had no one over. Invite someone for a holiday meal, and walls start popping up, keeping you from cooking. Surprised Ants are speeding around the house.

Borax powder is good for kiling the ants 

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

AgitatedRiot said:

Non-Complaint: I love to cook, so the holidays are great fun.

Borax powder is good for kiling the ants 

I haven't seen them. They are too fast now.laugh 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

NylonGirl said:

McGyver said:

Ah yes, I recall when this album was first added to the streaming music services. 119 of the 120 tracks were available individually for 99 cents each, but the one song everybody wanted was "album only". Also, the original album was an early example of the "Mandela Effect" in which everybody thought the album was actually called "Funky Chives" because of the artwork and the theme of disco and chives. It significantly decreased the sales of the album because the search engine couldn't actually handle any search query with Funk in it. Oddly enough, searching for Disco Chive worked.

Also, I'm afraid I don't understand... The title of this thread has been the same since the beginning of time, almost six and a half decades ago when WendyLikesCatsAlot saw this post. As a precaution, I've run a full system scan and found no errors in my database or algorithms.

Yeah, I remember now... back then there was a big resurgence in vegetable funk from the 70s and everyone was grooving to beat of The Onions and Dr. Scallion... It was a simpler, stupider time... well, not as stupid as today, just a different stupid... a grainier, more sepia tinted, nostalgic stupid.

edited November 2023

Not to continue to beat a dead horse (wheee..., rotten horse meat for everybody), but regarding title changes..., to be clear, are we talking about the title of this thread, or the title of the category in this forum?indecision  It's always good to check one's assumptions at the door.enlightenedblush

Complaint:  I've unthawed and eaten the last two dozen of my hoarded homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in the last 4 days.sad  

Non-complaint:  I have a box of cookie makin's, left over.  Enough for another batch of about four and a half dozen.  Yay!smiley

A Ponderable:  Why is "4" spelled "four", and "40" spelled "forty".  How does the "u" leak out?frown

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone who celebrates it!   

(also, Native American day)

LeatherGryphon said:

Gaslighting aside, yes, the title has changed.  Many times.  Perhaps, in other languages the bracketed text may have been dropped or ignored, but yes, the title has changed.   

"...sttttterillize"

"Captain, there is a danger."

"...sttteeerrrriiiiilillliiiizzze..."

Then again, aside from possible proof at the "WayBackMachine" site, we could all be living in a different universe from yesterday.  Just slip slidin' away into other universes.surprise  I wanna find one with world peace, but I'm afraid it will be just rocks.indecision

Gaslighting?... We only use L.E.D. lighting... I have no idea what you are talking about.

• Today is turkey tragic thursday.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited November 2023

LeatherGryphon said:

Today is turkey tragic thursday.

Probably a good day for humans but definitely tragic for the poor unlucky turkey. 

HAPPY TURKEY DAY Everyone. 

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited November 2023

Charlie Judge said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Today is turkey tragic thursday.

Probably a good day for humans but definitely tragic for the poor unlucky turkey. 

HAPPY TURKEY DAY Everyone. 

Happy Thanksgiving!... But let us not sympathize too greatly with the turkey... lest we forget who started this...

This is a photo of the famous painting by Aelbert van Hootenhorstenson, hanging in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC... Hootenhorstenson, who as a child was (along with his pet pig) the only survivor of the Hootenhorstensondam massacre carried out by a single giant turkey...

In case you can't read the placard, it says:

"The Devil Bird       1625       Aelbert van Hootenhorstenson         Oil and turkey blood on canvas"

"In November of 1621 the settlement of Hootenhorstensondam was set upon by a murderous giant turkey which slaughtered all of the settlers except for Aelbert van Hootenhorstenson and his pet pig Gottfried. Hootenhorstenson was the nephew of the town's founder Johannes Hootenhorstenson and witnessed the slaughter firsthand. Him and his pig were rescued by the inhabitants of a nearby settlement whom he was able to warn of danger. These settlers fought off the turkey, but with heavy casualties. Hootenhorstenson went on to become a semi-famous painter, tortured by his memories and the belief his pig blamed him for the deaths of everyone in Hootenhorstensondam."

It's brief and doesn't go on to mention how tortured a life or how bad a painter Hootenhorstenson became... he was haunted by his nightmares to the point were Gottfried eventually did most of the painting and Hootenhorstenson just signed his name... Driven by madness and guilt, he eventually returned to the site of the lost colony, but was never seen again... well his bones were... stripped of flesh and found surrounded by dried out stuffing.

Beware the Devil Bird.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited November 2023

Complaint:  Bloody nose.  (*sigh*), dry air, blood thinners, lots of pepper added to lunch, excessive sneezing while doing dishes.  "Blood in the water..."no

A Ponderable:  Why is "blood" pronounced [bluh-d] like "dud", instead of [blue-d] like "food"?  English.  God help us.frown

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Bloody nose.  (*sigh*), dry air, blood thinners, lots of pepper added to lunch, excessive sneezing while doing dishes.  "Blood in the water..."no

A Ponderable:  Why is "blood" pronounced [bluh-d] like "dud", instead of [blue-d] like "food"?  English.  God help us.frown

"Blood in the water"... Look out for sharks... especially if you get a DoorDash delivery you didn't order... it's a thing sharks have been doing recently... very sneaky.

You pronounce "Blood" as "Bluh-d"?... strange... 

English is a whimsical language full of odd pronunciations that are the byproduct of adopting words from other languages and also people talking with their mouths full of crackers... well, historically it could also have been turnips, cabbage, potatoes, herring or just wood shavings.

• Happy Turkey Murder Day.

I was thinking about it and I feel it would be remiss of me to not wish well to those of us here who on this day of thanksgiving and turkey murder, must travel far and wide to visit folks we spend all year avoiding... may your suffering be short and your memory of the ordeal be brief.

All too often we focus on the Hallmark Holiday Special version of this day and not the stark reality many must face...

Good luck.

• grab your tinner

46655027_10216477480643556_5405480787447382016_n.jpg
    300 x 298 - 15K
  • Complaint: Not only am I spending he holidays alone, the friends who had previously invited me over for Turkey Day and who promised to "send details" in a later text... never did. It felt too awkward to text them first ("hey, when are we doing this?") because what if they're not doing it, or worse yet, they are but I'm not invited?

So I went to the grocery store before it closed for the holiday and bought a sad approximation of a holiday meal. Gonna eat it alone with the doggo I'm pet-sitting, just us against a very mean world.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

Blando Calrissian said:

Complaint: Not only am I spending he holidays alone, the friends who had previously invited me over for Turkey Day and who promised to "send details" in a later text... never did. It felt too awkward to text them first ("hey, when are we doing this?") because what if they're not doing it, or worse yet, they are but I'm not invited?

So I went to the grocery store before it closed for the holiday and bought a sad approximation of a holiday meal. Gonna eat it alone with the doggo I'm pet-sitting, just us against a very mean world.

Awww ,I too spent my Thanksgiving alone but I enjoyed it I made chicken on my electric grill and a sweet potato .and it was good and I didn't need to prtend to be interested in people that I'm not ....and they don't have to pretend to like me .....so it's all good

We used to all go to my aunt's place for holiday gatherings. Now my mom refuses to go inside there. Most recently she'd just wait in the car and send me in to get whatever food or gifts may be there. We reached a new low today when my mom told my aunt to just bring Thanksgiving dinner in a grocery bag and meet her at a midway point so she could receive the bag. We did that but Aunt was very upset that we don't even go outside her home anymore. And for various reasons the others didn't come out either. I don't know if there's a moral to this story or whatever. I told my aunt she's basically going to have to wait until we have more kids so she has new people to come over.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Is there a veggie turkey?

edited November 2023

NylonGirl said:

We used to all go to my aunt's place for holiday gatherings. Now my mom refuses to go inside there. Most recently she'd just wait in the car and send me in to get whatever food or gifts may be there. We reached a new low today when my mom told my aunt to just bring Thanksgiving dinner in a grocery bag and meet her at a midway point so she could receive the bag. We did that but Aunt was very upset that we don't even go outside her home anymore. And for various reasons the others didn't come out either. I don't know if there's a moral to this story or whatever. I told my aunt she's basically going to have to wait until we have more kids so she has new people to come over.

I was invited but they were planning on a later dinner , I'm night blind so driving in the dark is a no go plus it's an hour drive each way ,and I didn't want anyone wasteing 2 hours to pick me up and take me home .....question is it a grudge causeing your mom to not want to go ,or is she disabled/has mobility issues ?cause sometimes I don't want to go to these things because of mobility issues ,and while everyone brings stuff to me or helps me I actually feel like a burden and don't want to mess up their enjoyment ........

Post edited by carrie58 on

carrie58 said:

.....question is it a grudge causeing your mom to not want to go ,or is she disabled/has mobility issues ?cause sometimes I don't want to go to these things because of mobility issues ,and while everyone brings stuff to me or helps me I actually feel like a burden and don't want to mess up their enjoyment ........

She doesn't have any disability or mobility issues. And she has me as a driver. Actually they're both going with me to see Mariah Carey tomorrow. But Mom won't go to Aunt's house. This is definitely a psychological or emotional issue. It's hard for me to understand because the stories and reasons change over time, kind of like the bracketed portion of a thread title. And many of the things she says about it are from before I was born, and some of them differ from what Aunt and the others said. I think all of them seemed to remember themselves as the only one who was consistently a good person. Mom's most current version is she believes Aunt didn't really like her, and only wants to spend time with her because of all the siblings, she is the only one left. I don't know if that's true but I kind of wish Mom could focus on right now instead of decades ago. We can't fix decades ago but we could do something about what happens right now.

edited November 2023

NylonGirl said:

carrie58 said:

.....question is it a grudge causeing your mom to not want to go ,or is she disabled/has mobility issues ?cause sometimes I don't want to go to these things because of mobility issues ,and while everyone brings stuff to me or helps me I actually feel like a burden and don't want to mess up their enjoyment ........

She doesn't have any disability or mobility issues. And she has me as a driver. Actually they're both going with me to see Mariah Carey tomorrow. But Mom won't go to Aunt's house. This is definitely a psychological or emotional issue. It's hard for me to understand because the stories and reasons change over time, kind of like the bracketed portion of a thread title. And many of the things she says about it are from before I was born, and some of them differ from what Aunt and the others said. I think all of them seemed to remember themselves as the only one who was consistently a good person. Mom's most current version is she believes Aunt didn't really like her, and only wants to spend time with her because of all the siblings, she is the only one left. I don't know if that's true but I kind of wish Mom could focus on right now instead of decades ago. We can't fix decades ago but we could do something about what happens right now.

Ouch!! yeah family can be fun like that ,I was told by my grand daugter that she was told that her mom and I had had a falling out ,and that's why I hadn't been around much .......all I could say was "Oh okay" ,cause I don't remember having a falling out with her mom ,sure we banged heads alot ,but nothing to my mind that would cause that long a seperation .Which thankfully is now over .....and I have no intention of bringing this up to my daughter just in case she still has issues.....gotta love'em

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • I've not seen my brother for 31 years and still have no idea why. However, these days, I simply don't care what the reason he concocted. Not interested. Regards, Richard.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

I stopped speaking to my mother a few years ago, and I've come to the realization that she was basically my only link to the rest of her family, so I haven't seen most of them in about as long. The rest of her family are good people, and I'm fond of them, but I don't know how to talk to them and they don't know how to talk to me. My brother stopped talking to me because I wasn't sufficiently on his side following his second divorce due to his infidelity, so the only member of my family I have anything resembling regular contact with is my dad, and he's on somewhat thin ice as well.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited November 2023

Gordig said:

I stopped speaking to my mother a few years ago, and I've come to the realization that she was basically my only link to the rest of her family, so I haven't seen most of them in about as long. The rest of her family are good people, and I'm fond of them, but I don't know how to talk to them and they don't know how to talk to me. My brother stopped talking to me because I wasn't sufficiently on his side following his second divorce due to his infidelity, so the only member of my family I have anything resembling regular contact with is my dad, and he's on somewhat thin ice as well.

I stopped talking to my stepmother about 2 years ago because I couldn't handle her anymore. The severe abuse I suffered up till I was 17 came to a head when I quit drinking 4 years ago. I put up with her for another 2 months before saying I'm done. Her family always treated me like crap, with the exception of her parents who use to come and pick me up cause they knew everything that was going on and wanted to get me out of the house for a couple of days.

My father is in a nursing home atm because he has end-stage kidney failure and gets dialysis 5 days a week and is approaching the end, but I stopped talking to him about 7 months ago because all he is doing is only thinking and caring about himself, attention-seeking while playing everything up, and exaggerating everything. When he calls I have my wife talk to him. I have serious health problems atm and it's very scary to go to bed at night because there is a very real chance I won't wake up and he knows this and has not asked once in a year until the other day how I was doing. We got a call from his Dr the other day and he gave us an update, by the end I told them to just keep him comfortable and I started talking to him again and just ignoring it even though I have no tolerance for it, but I'm being nice about it.

My half-brother has called me 3 times this week complaining about it. At least I know I wasn't the only one that saw it. I however realized that life is too short and you never know when you're not gonna be able to say something you have been meaning to before it's too late, somtimes you need to be patient with those you love at times.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • frank0314 said:

... you never know when you're not gonna be able to say something you have been meaning to before it's too late, somtimes you need to be patient with those you love at times.

That is so true.

My mother died in 2005 from Pancreatic cancer, and there are so many things I'd love to have talked to her about but never had the chance. And now my 92 yo dad is in a nursing home 250 miles away, and again there is so much I want to talk to him about but can't.

One thing you can do is try to talk to your kids in a way that means they don't feel the same. Make friends with them & just chat. Friends as well as parents, I hope that's what my kids feel about my wife & I. I will say that I have pre-warned my kids that we're going to be annoying, contrary and stubborn when we get old. To which they said 'No change then..' ;)

Regards,

Richard

This discussion has been closed.