The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

CapCut stuffed up my security settings on both my computers, I think it is malware

Not fond of DaVinci Resolve, tried it a few times

I do 90% of my video editing in Blender TBH

I've been thinking about trying Blender agian. I tried it YEARS ago and got so frustrated because there wasn't an undo feature, but I've heard the UI is better now. I might give it a go

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited December 2023

kyoto kid said:

JasmineSkunk said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Clipchamp is awful, I hate it

I quite liked the other one but Windows 10 is forcing me to use Clipchamp so now I use Blender or Hitfilm Express

sometimes I can get the Video editor to work but it mostly interupts me and tries to get me to reinstall ClipChamp so then I close it

Clipchamp is watermarked to and wants me to buy stuff to do anything so stuff that

There are a few alternatives to Photoshop that aren't too bad.

1. Krita  - https://krita.org/en/ ; Absolutely FREE. Not intuitive, but very powerful. Can use Photoshop brushes. Can not only do what photoshop does, but also creates SVG and other vector files as well as allows you to design and create typeface. Actually really love this one. There are resources for learning online and on YouTube

2. Gimp - https://www.gimp.org/ ; Also Free. Kinda hated this one, and there isn't as much support for it as there used to be. But also uses Photoshop brushes and is pretty okay. Some people love it.

3. (Not Free, but Cheap) - Corel Paint Shop Pro. (Not Corel Draw) About $50 bucks - Very robust. Uses Photoshop assets as wll. Has some unique features, like Tubes  - https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/

...I actually have all three.  Krita is more of a digital paint programme similar to Corel Painter.  I use both Gimp and PSP pro for photo manipulation, modifying textures, and for postwork as they both have their strengths.  I've been using Gimp  before I even started with Daz as at the time I could never afford Photoshop.   As I mentioned, Gimp is also compatible with Photoshop brushes as well. I have the most recent version of PSP Pro which supports Windows 7 

I feel I'm at the end of the line with my graphics "suite" as pretty much everything, has abandoned W7 (including Daz due to the Nvidia driver requirement for Iray).  Never going to go back to glacial CPU rendering.

From what I have read about Windows 11 getting an AI assistant in a forthcoming update, I am having second thoughts about updating the hardware to support it.  Not thrilled about having an AI bot roaming around in my system "fixing" and "updating" things the way it thinks I need them to be.

Wanna hear something nuts? In 2019, I picked up this laptop at Best Buy for $300 bucks. It's a Lenvo Idea Pad with an AMD Radeon Vega 3 graphics card... and it works better than my desktop ever did. It came with Windows 10 but then "auto" installed Windows 11 this summer. Other than Windows 11 trying to constantly "update" my driver for my graphics card, I think Windows 11 is WAY better than 10 and somehow this cheap little laptop is able to keep up. I still can't believe how well it's held up. Sometimes more costly doesn't mean better. Cuz my tower was supposed to be a "Powerhouse", but this cheap (supposedly "gaming") laptop has out performed it by leaps and bounds.

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • Disco chives in my loaf of meat,
    A funky flavor that can't be beat.
    With every bite, a dance party starts,
    Chives and meat, a match made in tarts.

The beat is strong, the rhythm's tight,
    Disco chives are quite the delight.
    In every slice, a groovy surprise,
    My taste buds can't believe their eyes.

So let's get down and boogie tonight,
    With disco chives, everything's just right.
    In my loaf of meat, they steal the show,
    A culinary sensation, don't you know?

• Whamaggeddon

you were warned

just click it and listen to the video and laugh at all the stupid meme followers devil

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

JasmineSkunk said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

CapCut stuffed up my security settings on both my computers, I think it is malware

I've been thinking about trying Blender agian. I tried it YEARS ago and got so frustrated because there wasn't an undo feature, but I've heard the UI is better now. I might give it a go

Maybe I can try Blender soon.  I hope it isn't too expensive?  or was that too high of a learning curve?

• Sfariah D said:

JasmineSkunk said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Maybe I can try Blender soon.  I hope it isn't too expensive?  or was that too high of a learning curve?

Blender is free. 

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

Sfariah D said:

JasmineSkunk said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I think Blender is the one where you have to plug in a USB cable to switch windows, and type the page up key to click on a file. Or something like that. Regardless, it's the learning curve that was the issue. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 2023

My Blender jammed and I could not get it working again

then black smoke started coming out of it

I kept the jug

and tossed the mechanism out

pity there are blades at the bottom of the jug as makes it useless for anything but water in the fridge as too hard to clean

now I am stuck with using the stick blender, only good thing is I can carefully use it in my soup simmering on the stove

not raising it above soup level though unless I want a scalding mess

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,047

JasmineSkunk said:

Its definitely worth trying again now that they redid the GUI and made it more user friendly... it still takes some getting used to, but you won't need to keep a book next to you to keep referring to... and there are a bunch of great plugins that either are free or come with it now.

Its not what it used to be... it's more like a normal program now, not like trying to fly the space shuttle entirely using keyboard shortcuts.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

AgitatedRiot said:

Disco chives in my loaf of meat,

...bravo!

Now that's going to be bouncing around in my head for the next few days. 

• AgitatedRiot said:

Disco chives in my loaf of meat,

laugh Delightful!

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 526

Complaint: They are running a polar express train near my house. The train horn is sooo loud and running all night. I'm not even sure where it goes, but the train museum is not far from me. I saw them redoing the track all summer, but had no idea this was why until last month. :(

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    Non-Complaint: I now have Spectrum internet fiber cable. It's nice.
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited December 2023

TJohn said:

Wheee... time for a high bit rate party.  

Hmmm... if red 'lectrons go through red wires, and blue 'lectrons go through blue wires, are the 'lectrons in fiber transparent?indecision (It's a trick question)devil

Non-complaint:  Yay, pretty snow again this morning, covering up all the brown muddiness of the last week.yes  I love it when the trees are freshly frosted and the open yards have no human or animal tracks in them.  Yep, pretty as a picture as long as I'm warm and inside looking out.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    edited December 2023

Strong winds and rain yesterday.  But my trees stayed upright!  We did lose power, but only for about an hour.  Some, in other towns & cities in MA, didn't fare so well.

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901
    edited December 2023

LeatherGryphon said:

TJohn said:

Hmmm... if red 'lectrons go through red wires, and blue 'lectrons go through blue wires, are the 'lectrons in fiber transparent?indecision (It's a trick question)devil

Non-complaint:  Yay, pretty snow again this morning, covering up all the brown muddiness of the last week.yes  I love it when the trees are freshly frosted and the open yards have no human or animal tracks in them.  Yep, pretty as a picture as long as I'm warm and inside looking out.

Spectrum Internet. I have it too! smiley It's really the only option in my building though, so I have nothing to compare it to. No complaints, though. 

As far as snow goes... I have a question about snow and Winter here, in general. I've been in New York (capitol district) for 3 "Winters" now. And it is is the strangest thing. We seem to get Winter....just not in the Wintertime. A few sprinkles of snowfall that turn to puddles on impact with the ground all through the months of November, December and January. Then in March - WHAM! Blizzards for days. So odd.indecision But, I'm not complaining! laugh

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

After having an early winter with temperatures down to -18C (0F) in November and up to last weekend, it's been above freezing since Saturday, there's still some 3 inches of snow, but all the paths have turned into wet ice and even with me knowing it, I fell when coming home in the dark - didn't hurt myself though apart from getting wet in the puddle.

Shimrian said:

Complaint: They are running a polar express train near my house. The train horn is sooo loud and running all night. I'm not even sure where it goes, but the train museum is not far from me. I saw them redoing the track all summer, but had no idea this was why until last month. :(

When my kids were little we took them to one in Connecticut (Oddly, Pulled by 1989 Tangshan 2-8-2 locomotive... a modern-ish Chinese knockoff of a New Haven J-1 "Mikado" built by Baldwin Locomotive Works)... (for steam train fans interested in choo-choos)... it's an old timey steam train that did one of those short tourist runs where they told the children we were going to the "North Pole"... We went like two miles to another station that was decorated to look festive and there was a fat guy in a red suit waving at kids... it seemed like a novel idea... something to do for the holidays.

But over time North Poleians have been buying up old historic train lines and establishing "Santa's Villages" all over... especially in areas where the land is cheap... they've been taking these old trains and decorating them to look like polar express trains (suspiciously devoid of Tom Hanks) and acclimating people to the idea of traveling to the North Pole to visit "Santa".

These Santa's Villages often stay open for the holidays then mysteriously close after the holiday with their "Santas" and "Elves" vanishing until next year... in fact the entire "Village" often goes away without a trace...

Who are these reclusive beings and what are there ultimate motivations and machinations?... 

Why are we not questioning what is going on... a strange bearded fat guy wearing a red outfit... sitting on a throne... his minions wearing green uniforms and doing his bidding?... none of this is in the least suspicious?... for years we've had warning signs... they'd show up in malls charging people money to sit in their glorious leader's lap and take pictures with him... pay for a picture of their leader... very cultish.

And who are these "elves" imported from the top of the planet?... we are lead to believe "elves"... at least indentured servant, worker class elves are supposed to be like three feet tall at most... but these ones are regular person sized... are they mutants?... a breed of warrior elves?... what are their powers... do they have a poisonous bite or sting?... 

And am I the only one who's noticed that if you take their leader's name "Santa" and rearrange the letters it spells out the name of one of the most feared evil beings in mythology and religion?... Staan.

I'm just saying, we are letting a bunch... nay, a cult of Staan worshipers take over small towns and old train lines for dog* knows what purpose and nobody seems to care.

I'm not trying to panic anyone, but I'm saying we aren't panicking enough and we should definitely panic a lot more... and while that may sound like I'm somehow trying to instill fear in people for some reason, it's just because I care... and that's why I'm offering you and your loved ones a complete Staan-Apocalypse preparedness kit for only 62 payments of $19.99... that's the price of just one cup of Uber-Ventitrenta Frappamegachino at that trendy coffee joint or bookstore...

What do you get with that?... well for one... peace of mind... and isn't peace what everyone is going on about during the holidays?...
    The kit is mostly filled with assorted sharp objects and expired surplus civil defense meal packs, but it also comes with a bootleg copy of the Home Alone knockoff "Alone At Home", so you can study Kevin McKillister's techniques and self defense strategies for when the elves come finally come for you.
    Get it while supplies last or it's not too late!!

*Probably an anagram or something.

edited December 2023

Double post... Booo!

Post edited by McGyver on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

McGyver said:

Double post... Booo!

Double?  Or a fiendish Staanananic plot to subtly alter (or altar) your post in order to thwart your plan to thwart their plan.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

Fixmypcmike said:

McGyver said:

Double post... Booo!

Double?  Or a fiendish Staanananic plot to subtly alter (or altar) your post in order to thwart your plan to thwart their plan.

I suspect this involves a vole.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 2023

AI generated video

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

NylonGirl said:

Fixmypcmike said:

McGyver said:

Double post... Booo!

Vole early, vole often 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

JasmineSkunk said:

LeatherGryphon said:

TJohn said:

Spectrum Internet. I have it too! smiley It's really the only option in my building though, so I have nothing to compare it to. No complaints, though. 

As far as snow goes... I have a question about snow and Winter here, in general. I've been in New York (capitol district) for 3 "Winters" now. And it is is the strangest thing. We seem to get Winter....just not in the Wintertime. A few sprinkles of snowfall that turn to puddles on impact with the ground all through the months of November, December and January. Then in March - WHAM! Blizzards for days. So odd.indecision But, I'm not complaining! laugh

...I checked Spectrum's site and there no service in my area. they do serve the counties on the coast just not here in the Willamette valley/Portland. So stuck with Xfinity/Bombast at 70$ a month.  Spectrum's 300mbps service  is 49$ and the modem is included.  I have to pay extra for the modem Bombast gave me.  

...and even though I changed the payment date to the first week of the month last September, My billing statement is still showing that date as the 24th which makes budgeting a total pain.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,312
    Someone just gave me a homemade chocolate chip cookie. I bit into it and there's flaked coconut in it. I should file assault charges.
  • Fixmypcmike said:

NylonGirl said:

Fixmypcmike said:

McGyver said:

Double post... Booo!

Vole early, vole often 

sayeth Lord Vole-de-mort

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442
    edited December 2023

Hmmm... the "Vole of Death"  Sounds like a cheezy '50s SciFi movie.indecision  Like "Killer Tomatoes"  or "Them"  or "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms".

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Must be the case - Vole-de-mort, or Death of Voles. Can only be a cat.

So, Harry Potter's enemy, Voledemort, is a cat. No wonder Harry was on the winning side. And no wonder it was a close run thing - cats are sneaky.

Regards,

Richard

• The dark lord, Vole-de-mort,
    Summoned his legion of voles,
    With eyes full of malice,
    And a heart black as coal.

They scurried and scuttled,
    In eerie unison,
    Their squeaks and their scratches,
    Made the bravest hearts run.

But Lord Vole-de-mort,
    Had a plan so sly,
    To use his army of rodents,
    To help him reach the sky.

They burrowed and dug,
    With their tiny claws so sharp,
    Creating tunnels and paths,
    Through the earth's every nook and harp.

And when they emerged,
    From their underground lair,
    Vole-de-mort and his voles,
    Spread darkness and despair.

Though their reign was brief,
    And their fate was sealed,
    The legend of Vole-de-mort,
    Forever will be revealed.

Non-Compliant...

This discussion has been closed.