The [Disco Chives] Misplaced Parrot Complaint Thread

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

Fixmypcmike said:

My condolences -- it'll be four years in a few weeks since we lost our fourth, and it still feels so weird not having any cats around.  He was 22.

Complaint:  I've fallen and I can't get up (not right away, at least) -- I was walking to the car to pick up my mom, my phone rang, and I managed to drop it and also fall on the grass.  Couldn't get up, even with my cane.  Eventually I crawled across the sidewalk onto the lawn and to the car, and with cane and car for support I was able to get up.

I hate when that happens!!! I ended up butt walking the last time and got a rather large spikey pine cone in my right butt cheek !! painful ,but I had to get to the fence to pull myself up.Thankfully only my pride was injured how about you?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

carrie58 said:

Fixmypcmike said:

My condolences -- it'll be four years in a few weeks since we lost our fourth, and it still feels so weird not having any cats around.  He was 22.

Complaint:  I've fallen and I can't get up (not right away, at least) -- I was walking to the car to pick up my mom, my phone rang, and I managed to drop it and also fall on the grass.  Couldn't get up, even with my cane.  Eventually I crawled across the sidewalk onto the lawn and to the car, and with cane and car for support I was able to get up.

I hate when that happens!!! I ended up butt walking the last time and got a rather large spikey pine cone in my right butt cheek !! painful ,but I had to get to the fence to pull myself up.Thankfully only my pride was injured how about you?

No injuries, thankfully.  My mom was worried something had happened when I was late. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited January 25

NylonGirl said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Having lived a long and semi-adventurous life, and having now been both semi, and fully retired for a total of  23 years, and for the last 5 without a car, stranded in the boonies of western NY State, I've seen a lot of TV and movies.indecision  So many various types of TV & movies that I've run out of shows that interest me anymore.  I've seen all the still available reruns of my favorite shows from the '50s & '60s.  I've watched about every science documentary that's ever been broadcast in the US.  I haven't liked a situation comedy since the '80s.  I'm bored with superhero movies.  There isn't much left to watch.   Comedies are more stupid to me rather than funny to me anymore.  And fiction is rarely interesting.

HOWEVER,  with modern technology and broadcasting improvements I can sit in front of my magic window for hours and watch some guy live streaming his drive across country in his semi-truck through miles and miles of western desert, or inching through traffic lights in the city.  I can watch one of a half a dozen different people wandering around and live broadcasting from Disney World, or Universal Studios.  I've ridden every ride in Disney & Universal, even if by proxy.  The other day I was riding an open top double decker tour bus in London.  There's a guy in Russia who has taken me through the Hermitage museum, and on walks along the river in St. Petersburg.  There's a guy who's let me ride with him in his car driving from Miami to NY City, and through Zion National Park in the west.  I've ambled down Broadway in NYC with him.yes

I'm sure that at some point I'll get tired of this too.  But I find it fascinating that I'm satisfied with the experience.yes   I've walked around the outside and walked through the galleries of the Hermitage so I have no desire to go go there anymore, I've ridden through Zion National Park, so I feel like I've been there.  The uninterrupted, uncut, flow of conversation and observation is fulfilling.  Ah, life in the Matrix.surprise

Who knows, maybe someday I'll wander around Jamestown, NY and entertain one person, somewhere out there, with the crowd and goings-on at the Lucy-Desi festival in August.devil  Nah, I probably couldn't afford the equipment, and I certainly don't want to jump into another technological blackhole.  Did enough of that in my career.  It's all water under the bridge now.  There's no call for Raytheon RDS-500 computer experts from the '70s.frown

I had a similar experience when I got my first Android phone. I used the Google Maps "streetview". It shows you the view of a street and you can scroll through it in kind of a first person view, going almost any direction you want. I used it to stroll down the streets in front of the Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal,  ex-lover's neighborhood, whatever. It was kind of a great feeling.

...I once toook a google maps  "drive" from Moscow to Vladivostok. Took a good part of the evening.

DId it on the computer instead of the phone.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

I keep getting logged out so Walter must be cloned from the Hamster and they did not replace him

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,442

Cudos to anyone who knows the global significance of today.  Well, at least to my favorite aunt.indecision

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited January 25

I don't know. Which one?

Claudius was affirmed as the Roman emperor.

Patent filed for the world's first video game

1327 King Edward III accedes to the English throne

1348 Friuli Earthquake in |European southern Alps measuring approximately 6.9, essentially destroys Villach, killing 5,000,

1494 Alfonso II succeeds his father as King of Naples

Bossuet's First Thesis

1777 Americans drag cannon up the hill of Kingsbridge Road to fight the British, prompting a name change to Gun Hill Road 

1787 Shays' Rebellion suffers a setback when debt-ridden farmers, led by Capt Daniel Shays, fail to capture an arsenal at Springfield, Massachusetts

1792 The London Corresponding Society is founded.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

LeatherGryphon said:

Cudos to anyone who knows the global significance of today.  Well, at least to my favorite aunt.indecision

Al Capone died on January 25th cheeky 

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

I stop with the decade of the 1700s. There are hundreds, so much history to choose from.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,112

I got logged off the forums when trying to get to this thread.  I went to login but I was still logged in.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

I keep getting logged out so Walter must be cloned from the Hamster and they did not replace him

I am also getting logged out repeatedly. 

AgitatedRiot said:

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

I stop with the decade of the 1700s. There are hundreds, so much history to choose from.

Thanks for the replies, and they're probably all true.  Cool!yes  But on this day each year, if you were in her vicinity, my aunt would invariably say, sometime during the day, "Only 11 months to Christmas.", and similarly for each of the other 25ths of each month.  Yeah, it was a quirk, but now that she's gone, I sort of miss it.indecision

edited January 25

Speaking of Al Capone:  I am only three degrees of separation from him.  In the late '80s my significant other worked as butler/cook for an elderly lady who had been one of Capone's tax lawyers. Capone went to jail and she ended up with some of his furniture.indecision 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

I thought I put my notebook to sleep before leaving the center.  I did two errands and got back home.  I took out my notebook and it was hot.  It apparerently didn't go to sleep or woke up sometime in between I put it to sleep and took it out of my bag.  Not too happy about this.

edited January 25

it's Australia Day down here January 26

not all of us agree on the choice of date but those that do defend it vehemently and call the rest of us names and tell us to go back to where we came from which is difficult as I was born here.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Complaint : I've been signed out 6 times in the last 2 days ugh!!

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641

ArtAngel said:

carrie58 said:

Complaint :Short lives of fur babies .......my fur baby just passed away this afternoon ,she was 18 years old ,but still itwas too soon ......

It's always too soon. We adopt and rescue both cats and dogs, and no matter how hard we brace ourselves for the painful truth, the truth is it never gets less painful for us, especially aftyer their pain has ended. We lost several fur babies last year. Two dogs and three cats. Been guilty of being selfish and holding on too long, no matter what the vet bills cost. That final day and the day after, is never a thing we animal lovers are truly ready for. Heart breaking-crushing. Takes your breath away. Leaves a huge hole in your heart and a lump in your throat. I also have been guilty of rescuing another just when after I said, "That's it, no more,." just to ease the pain and often it does. Seeing another life saved somehow makes it seem semi-worthwhile.

Little did I know I would be racing to the vet emergency within 24 hours of writing that post. Bella our 4.5lb Yorkie, a fiesty spunky sweetheart, appeared to be in perfect health yesterday. No sign no symptom of anything wrong. She collapsed this morning unable to stand. The vet suspected she was bleeding internally. Did tests and a stomach scan. Found she had tumor on her spleen that broke and bled out. Now she's gone. Nothing but a crybaby today.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,727

WendyLuvsCatz said:

not all of us agree on the choice of date but those that do defend it vehemently and call the rest of us names and tell us to go back to where we came from which is difficult as I was born here.

Oh it's like what they call "Columbus Day" here.  

ArtAngel said:

ArtAngel said:

carrie58 said:

Complaint :Short lives of fur babies .......my fur baby just passed away this afternoon ,she was 18 years old ,but still itwas too soon ......

It's always too soon. We adopt and rescue both cats and dogs, and no matter how hard we brace ourselves for the painful truth, the truth is it never gets less painful for us, especially aftyer their pain has ended. We lost several fur babies last year. Two dogs and three cats. Been guilty of being selfish and holding on too long, no matter what the vet bills cost. That final day and the day after, is never a thing we animal lovers are truly ready for. Heart breaking-crushing. Takes your breath away. Leaves a huge hole in your heart and a lump in your throat. I also have been guilty of rescuing another just when after I said, "That's it, no more,." just to ease the pain and often it does. Seeing another life saved somehow makes it seem semi-worthwhile.

Little did I know I would be racing to the vet emergency within 24 hours of writing that post. Bella our 4.5lb Yorkie, a fiesty spunky sweetheart, appeared to be in perfect health yesterday. No sign no symptom of anything wrong. She collapsed this morning unable to stand. The vet suspected she was bleeding internally. Did tests and a stomach scan. Found she had tumor on her spleen that broke and bled out. Now she's gone. Nothing but a crybaby today.

oh I am so sorry to hear this virtual hugs ,January has had a number of fur babies leving ,my son and his wife's little yorkie ,one of myfurry grandkids ,passed  on the 10th ,a friends shitz mix on the 22 ,mine on the 24tth , Makes me glad January is almost done.....

NylonGirl said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Oh it's like what they call "Columbus Day" here.  

pretty much

I agree with those who call it White Invasion Day 

• ArtAngel said:

ArtAngel said:

carrie58 said:

That was a very nasty shock, my sympathy.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

LeatherGryphon said:

AgitatedRiot said:

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Thanks for the replies, and they're probably all true.  Cool!yes  But on this day each year, if you were in her vicinity, my aunt would invariably say, sometime during the day, "Only 11 months to Christmas.", and similarly for each of the other 25ths of each month.  Yeah, it was a quirk, but now that she's gone, I sort of miss it.indecision

You should talk to my sister, then.  She was counting down on Dec. 26th! 

ArtAngel said:

ArtAngel said:

carrie58 said:

Aww, I'm sorry! 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

@ArtAngel.  Belssing to your household.  Hugs.

ArtAngel sorry for your loss

Sudden death is always a shock.  Hugs.

edited January 26

Complaint:  Coughing at coffee costs:  I've been having trouble finding or even ordering Folgers decaf instant coffee, so I investigated getting a coffee maker and bypass the "instant".  But I really don't want to mess with the mess of coffee grounds, filters, washing equipment, and all that jazz.  So, I thought about a Keurig type machine.  OK, getting over the initial cost of the machine, one faces the cost of the pods!  Arghhh..., about half a dollar per cup.  Convenience ain't worth that much when you drink even just two cups a day.  $30 a month is 5 times the cost of a single jar of the Folger's Instant(when you can find it) and a single jar of Folgers will last me at least two months.  And besides, I don't have room for the maker on my countertop.  So, nope!  Not gonna pay 10 times the price for my cup of coffee.cheeky  Well, perhaps at a restaurant, but at a restaurant I'm celebrating the temporary escape from my cave.frown

And "yes", I prefer Folgers Instant over other brand instants, because it's not bitter nor chemically distasteful like other brands I've tried over the years.yes

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • @Carrie58 & @Art Angel,

I am sorry for both your losses. I know your fur babies were loved, and they knew for all their days. Hugs.

Had to give my 2 Chaos Hounds hugs after reading.

I am sending good thoughts to the ones who lost their furbabies.  Wait?  I don't know how to send good thoughts?  So just pretend I know how to?

Complaint:  I was logged out when I got on here today.  I logged in, it said "Loggin Failed".  I did it again, it worked.  I clicked on "My Bookmarks"...bam!  Logged out again!  Third time's the charm?   I don't find this charming at all!

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,901

LeatherGryphon said:

AgitatedRiot said:

PerttiA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

Awww... That's so cute! heart yes, and quirky! 

This discussion has been closed.