There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 2

Comments

• columbine said:

kyoto kid said:

...well it finally happened.  On the Advent calendar, I got a  G8 character that I have no interest in which was never on my wishlist, while the 2.99$ item is a geoshell makeup set for a G8 fantasy character, neither of which are on my wishlist either.  That's buggered as I have a number of DOs on my wishlist some of them  two years old or older and only one over 40$ MSRP.

I feel "Scrooged"

If it makes you feel any better, I've had horrible luck with the Advent calendar. It's mostly been super-old things, older even than the stuff that comes at me in Lightning Deals sometimes. I have been known to buy a Lightning Deal every so often (in fact, I picked up an old hangar for under two dollars there this morning), but I think I've taken ONE item out of the entire Advent offerings so far.

I suspect my lack of Advent success is because I don't keep a wishlist--bookmarks work much better for me for keeping track of things I want to eventually buy.

well you had everyone suggesting to add some DOs as I did the moment I realised the benefit

costs nothing and takes a minute

result lots of stuff I can use

you reap what you sow so if you are getting old V4 stuff that's because you neglected your plot to the weeds

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

well you had everyone suggesting to add some DOs as I did the moment I realised the benefit

you reap what you sow so if you are getting old V4 stuff that's because you neglected your plot to the weeds

Yeah, I have about 1200 things on my wishlist, like 400 DO's, nothing from before G8 and I haven't gotten a single thing pre G8 in the advent calendar. It's been a bunch of stuff I've passed on many, many times but always wanted to get at some point, which now is that point. 

• benniewoodell said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Yeah, I have about 1200 things on my wishlist, like 400 DO's, nothing from before G8 and I haven't gotten a single thing pre G8 in the advent calendar. It's been a bunch of stuff I've passed on many, many times but always wanted to get at some point, which now is that point. 

since all the stuff I got was added after the connection was pointed out to me. that too could be a factor

the point being having an empty wishlist is like not buying a lottery ticket and bemoaning you never win anything 

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,437

Selections from my wishlist seem to have dried up. I'm now getting those "breakout" items for $2.99 (one of x number of parts of a complete outfit), or a complete Mousso figure for free (third time in a row). No contest there.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited December 2023

...yeah it seems that the December 2020 is the "cut-off" for the calendar.  I've had have a few items from early to mid 2021 on the wishlist for a while but they are not being selected.  O added a few more pre-2021 items yesterday and that fixed the matter.

The interesting part, the free item which appeared yesterday was not Gen3 or 4 but a Gen 8 character, however one that looked like most other Daz female characters (translated: nothing remarkable to add to the "gene pool").  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • I've tried adding 1 or 2 Lightning that were halfway interesting to my cart and they don't take the punch discount (when I have it), so out they go. I did consider https://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-action-outfit-for-genesis-8-females when it popped up last night but the few forum comments I found - via Google of course - changed my mind.

Advent is getting worse instead of better for me. Today my freebie offer is https://www.daz3d.com/exo-suit-textures I don't own the base or have it wishlisted. For $2.99 I have https://www.daz3d.com/columbus. It's in my wishlist but I wasn't thrilled when I saw it. I guess that's a Strong Hint I should remove it?

Previously I've picked up from the Calendar https://www.daz3d.com/classic-updo-hairstyle-for-genesis-3-female-shttps://www.daz3d.com/arwen-hair-for-genesis-8-females, & both G3 male & female character UV sets for G8. All were freebies, and both hairs were recent wishlist additions. Note I probably use G3 & G8 about equally.

• XiousDsXiousDs Posts: 317
    Curious to see 2hat flash we get today or special for tomorrow. Last year I spent about $500-$800 in December. This year I have spent about $50. This year money is tight in comparison so I only have about $160 which is what is left on my gift card, but most of the sales have been not very enticing for me. At least when I think of sales earlier this year and last December. I love the advent calendar. If it was not for that I would have probably bought nothing this month. But still, in comparison mos5 of the special have been so underwhelming. The exception is if you had been able to take advantage of the 28% off gift card. That was cool. But I had no money for that, just remaining credit. I almost jumped on the troll special discounts, but last December I was able to get bundles for 92-97% off so I ended up passing since my current credit is all I have to spend for the month here.
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,307

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

I've tried adding 1 or 2 Lightning that were halfway interesting to my cart and they don't take the punch discount (when I have it), so out they go. ...[snip]...

In my experience the Lightning Deal prices already take into account the Punch discount.

Examples:

Capsces Poses DAZ Dragon 3 - Full price $13.95 less 30% for Daz+ members since it's a DO = 9.77
    Less 50% because it's in the PA sale = 4.88 less 30% because it's old = 3.42
    Less 60% as Lightning Deal = 1.36
    Less 35% for Punch discount = 0.89  <= so this is what it cost me.

SASE Welda for Topsy 8 - Full price 19.95 less 30% DO = 13.97
    Less 50% PA sale = 6.98 less 60% Lightning = 2.79
    Less 35% Punch = 1.82  <= what I'm currently being offered

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

Indeed so. Didn't seem worth the trouble to wishlist some items at the beginning of the month just to "seed" the advent calendar, though, so I take my poor fortune in stride.

Actually, today I got offered a freebie I actually wanted! A G8 item, no less! It's a Christmas miracle!

• XiousDs said:

Curious to see 2hat flash we get today or special for tomorrow. Last year I spent about $500-$800 in December. This year I have spent about $50. This year money is tight in comparison so I only have about $160 which is what is left on my gift card, but most of the sales have been not very enticing for me. At least when I think of sales earlier this year and last December. I love the advent calendar. If it was not for that I would have probably bought nothing this month. But still, in comparison mos5 of the special have been so underwhelming. The exception is if you had been able to take advantage of the 28% off gift card. That was cool. But I had no money for that, just remaining credit. I almost jumped on the troll special discounts, but last December I was able to get bundles for 92-97% off so I ended up passing since my current credit is all I have to spend for the month here.

Me too. I've been waiting in expectation that there will eventually be a sufficiently awesome sale to motivate me to buy a big cart, but after spending crazy amounts over months, up through the PA and Daz+ sale, I haven't been sufficiently excited by the new stuff at standard new-stuff prices and would need a really spectacular sale to tempt me to buy the older stuff that I didn't already buy during the last few months. Fingers crossed for later today through New Year's Day ... I do have an unusually large wishlist right now of new stuff from this month that was modestly intereresting at a better price.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,776
    I'm wondering why I've tried to keep this punchcard thing going. I've been waiting for the sale I can't pass on. But so far with all the buyins I've passed on everything. Just dollaring my money away for stuff that isn't that great.
  • daveso said:

I'm wondering why I've tried to keep this punchcard thing going. I've been waiting for the sale I can't pass on. But so far with all the buyins I've passed on everything. Just dollaring my money away for stuff that isn't that great.

I don't regret that level of involvement. For me, there have been cool freebies that I can actually use, and every day's Advent freebie since the second day was off my wishlist. But I've spent less this entire month combined than I would spend on just another cart during the token era. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

kyoto kid said:

...yeah it seems that the December 2020 is the "cut-off" for the calendar.  I've had have a few items from early to mid 2021 on the wishlist for a while but they are not being selected.  O added a few more pre-2021 items yesterday and that fixed the matter. 

The newest ones for me have also been from December 2020 

• XiousDsXiousDs Posts: 317
    columbine said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Indeed so. Didn't seem worth the trouble to wishlist some items at the beginning of the month just to "seed" the advent calendar, though, so I take my poor fortune in stride.

Actually, today I got offered a freebie I actually wanted! A G8 item, no less! It's a Christmas miracle!

You might not know this buy once or twice every other year or so (from what I have heard), Daz does a wishlist sale bonus discount that makes things SUPER discounted. I had not been filling my wish list much at all but earlier this year I then missed out on massive potential discounts cause I had not built my daz wish list. Needless to say, I now have over 1600 items in my wish list and I have been happy with every single free advent calendar item I have gotten. Some more then others, but everything has been at least been something I liked.
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

NorthOf45 said:

Not Sobek (that's a Crocodile-like beast for G8M), but Sea Beast.

Yep. While I got Sobek as my Free Advent pick, as a Thank you for the free gift, I bought Sea Beast.

I did a nice animation of him roaring. Turned out pretty darned cool!!!

edited December 2023

benniewoodell said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I love my wish list. It's how I keep track of so many things that I want or might want some day or that I just want to take a closer look at some time.

I still use all of my Daz Figure generations, so my wish list reflects things from Millennium 1 through Genesis 9. Yet I get Advent choices from Genesis 8, 8.1 and 9 as well as my beloved legacy picks.

I'm working on space exploration now, so I added a bunch of space suits that weren't in my list. Just got one of those new picks today. Beowulf M4 just popped into Lightning for me, so I just made my very first Lightning purchase!

That tiny purchase (and Beowulf is worth every penny when Not on sale - I love Uzelite and Barbara Brundon, both is a Win!!!) allows me to hold onto my full punch ticket yet another day! Woot!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

You might not know this buy once or twice every other year or so (from what I have heard), Daz does a wishlist sale bonus discount that makes things SUPER discounted. I had not been filling my wish list much at all but earlier this year I then missed out on massive potential discounts cause I had not built my daz wish list. Needless to say, I now have over 1600 items in my wish list and I have been happy with every single free advent calendar item I have gotten. Some more then others, but everything has been at least been something I liked.

Very true. One of the reasons I like to check the store whenever I'm waiting for simulations or renders. If I can't shop, I shop anyway and put my picks into my wish list and daydream about the day I get to use them from my library.

I use content to help drive stories - even if I don't own the content yet. Here's an example of that:

What Happened on Odysseon Station?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

Yeah, I just decided to put everything I might want into my wishlist.  I don't use G8 or G9, and I don't use Iray, so very little new stuff is of interest to me unless it fills a need.  And I prefer to use DS 4.8 because of a weird bug that doesn't seem to affect anyone else, so anything that uses encrypted scripts has to be something I really need.  About half of the Advent freebies have been something I wanted, so that's been great, and with three punches I've got plenty of inexpensive items to maintain the punches.  The PA gifts I generally can't use, unfortunately, but they're very nice and I'm glad others are enjoying them.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,688

paulawp (marahzen) said:

daveso said:

I don't regret that level of involvement. For me, there have been cool freebies that I can actually use, and every day's Advent freebie since the second day was off my wishlist. But I've spent less this entire month combined than I would spend on just another cart during the token era. 

I kind of liked keeping up the punches, but it's gotten hard lately, with the 2.99 items not being very interesting for me - right now for example, 3 scifi things in a row ... Would have been nicer to spread stuff like this a bit more. But I often got lucky with the calendar, so that was very good, and I much appreciate the idea. 
    On the other hand, like daveso I was sort of waiting for THE big Xmas sale, and it doesn't seem it's happening anymore. It's a bit ... anticlimactic right now. But maybe we'll see something fresh happen tomorrow.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited December 2023

I wonder how long the Advent calender will last. Even though technically today is the last day of Advent I seeing upcoming spaces for at least Dec 25 and 26. Then again the calender also started well before Advent began.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
    edited December 2023

Fixmypcmike said:

Yeah, I just decided to put everything I might want into my wishlist.  I don't use G8 or G9, and I don't use Iray, so very little new stuff is of interest to me unless it fills a need.

Really? Which generation do you use/prefer?

I still use all of them. Millennium 1 and 2 very rarely, 3 a little more often but mostly just clothing fit to newer generations.

Generation 4 - RawArt characters, DzFire's Cyborg and occasionally some of the characters. 

Genesis 1 & 2- all kinds of things from monsters to character actors and quite often using the garments on my newer generations. I also have a Genesis 1 CR2 of the head and neck that a friend made for me for use with Mimic 3 Pro that works amazingly well!

Genesis 3 - I love this generation! Very responsive to work with and Sol is made for both this and 8, and looks fantastic in both versions - and they made the Face Controls product for this as well as 8. Making Genesis 3 and 8 my favorite for important character actors.

I still collect clothing and props from all generations. There's some Really Great stuff from all eras that I want to have in my library

edited December 2023

Charlie Judge said:

I wonder how long the Advent calender will last. Even though technically today is the last day of Advent I seeing upcoming spaces for at least Dec 25 and 26. Then again the calender also started well before Advent began.

Wouldn't it be cool of Daz gave us each a $50 Gift Card for every punch remaining?!!! angel

...for Christmas, I mean

• Dartanbeck said:

Charlie Judge said:

Wouldn't it be cool of Daz gave us each a $50 Gift Card for every punch remaining?!!! angel

...for Christmas, I mean

Yes, it would; but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it. Even a 10% discount on gift cards for each punch remaining would be sensational. 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

Dartanbeck said:

Fixmypcmike said:

Yeah, I just decided to put everything I might want into my wishlist.  I don't use G8 or G9, and I don't use Iray, so very little new stuff is of interest to me unless it fills a need.

Really? Which generation do you use/prefer?

I still use all of them. Millennium 1 and 2 very rarely, 3 a little more often but mostly just clothing fit to newer generations.

Generation 4 - RawArt characters, DzFire's Cyborg and occasionally some of the characters. 

Genesis 1 & 2- all kinds of things from monsters to character actors and quite often using the garments on my newer generations. I also have a Genesis 1 CR2 of the head and neck that a friend made for me for use with Mimic 3 Pro that works amazingly well!

Genesis 3 - I love this generation! Very responsive to work with and Sol is made for both this and 8, and looks fantastic in both versions - and they made the Face Controls product for this as well as 8. Making Genesis 3 and 8 my favorite for important character actors.

I still collect clothing and props from all generations. There's some Really Great stuff from all eras that I want to have in my library

I mostly use Genesis 1, although frequently using clothing and poses from both earlier and later generations.  I converted my main characters to Genesis, but I still have a lot of Millenium 3 and 4 characters that I still use, even a Mike 2. I really disliked Genesis 2 -- Vicky 5 and a lot of Genesis 2 characters looked downright anorexic to me.  It wasn't until Sickleyield's Big Beautiful G2F that I began to buy Genesis 2 items. I liked Genesis 3 better than Genesis 2, but never tried to convert my Genesis 1 characters to Genesis 2 or 3.  I do like the diversity of the more recent generations, a much wider range of age, ethnicity, and body type, but they seemed so much harder to work with to me.  I found myself avoiding things like SSS -- I had so much other stuff I needed to get better at first.  Then DS 4.9 came out and hit me with a deal-breaker bug, but no one else seemed to be able to replicate it, so I had to pass on the Genesis 3 Centaurs and Genesis 8 and 9.

Wow. That's me before discovering Daz Studio and Iray a few years ago!

It took a long time before I graduated my main characters from Generation 4 to Genesis 1.

I was using Carrara, and I really like having compatibility. Since that ends with Genesis 1 in Carrara, that was my comfort zone - and that's still such a vast selection of excellent stuff, I was totally content staying there!

edited December 2023

Dartanbeck said:

Charlie Judge said:

...for Christmas, I mean

...I'd be happy with getting double the punch value for Christmas day since it falls on a Monday and they've done so the past coupel weeks. 

• maybe a pinch and a punch for the first day of the month

WendyLuvsCatz said:

maybe a pinch and a punch for the first day of the month

yes laugh

edited December 2023

...well was hoping, now that it is Christmas Day, there would be one or two  extra "prezzies" under the tree. Like double punch value on the participating artist stores sale, a bonus discount coupon code, or orange banner deal (that isn't just for new bundles), or something a little more special for the big day.

Save for all the freebies and "HoliDaz" items (at 4.99$) returning, which most of us likely already have, feels rather anticlimactic  .

...oh well

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,688

kyoto kid said:

...well was hoping, now that it is Christmas Day, there would be one or two  extra "prezzies" under the tree. Like double punch value on the participating artist stores sale, a bonus discount coupon code, or orange banner deal (that isn't just for new bundles), or something a little more special for the big day.

Save for all the freebies and "HoliDaz" items (at 4.99$) returning, which most of us likely already have, feels rather anticlimactic  .

...oh well

Yeah, totally disappointing. And some useless old textures in the calendar. 'Most wonderful sale of the year?' I think notv...

This discussion has been closed.