There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 2

Comments

• Torquinox said:

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Advent Calendar Saga: Today I am debating whether to get the free Yeti or the $2.99 violin. Anyone have info to help me decide?

Not sure which violin you're addressing, but at $2.99, it's too much and I wouldn't buy it - Unless you really, really gotta have a violin! The Yeti, on the other hand, if it's https://www.daz3d.com/yeti-hd-for-genesis-8-male looks like a wonderful freebie! I would snag it and say "Thanks Daz!"

That is the Yeti, & the violin is https://www.daz3d.com/hd-violin-and-poses-for-genesis-3-and-8.

I do like Protozoon's musical instruments.

I like the Yeti a lot, too, but I think it has dForce fur, which is what makes me hesitate. I seldom use dForce so am not very good with it. I can do very simple simulations. I don't want something that will frustrate me. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012
    edited December 2023

That is the Yeti, & the violin is https://www.daz3d.com/hd-violin-and-poses-for-genesis-3-and-8.

I like the Yeti a lot, too, but I think it has dForce fur, which is what makes me hesitate. I seldom use dForce so am not very good with it. I can do very simple simulations. I don't want something that will frustrate me. 

I bought that violin in March for $1.21, it's Daz+ so it will most likely be available cheaper than $2.99 next year, go for the Yeti.

I have never simulated the furry characters, haven't seen the need to.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

NorthOf45 said:

There were a few bundles in there that not without interest. What I did find interesting is that all of those products are (were) Sade's individual or collaborative efforts.

There was an I13 sale not long ago where everything was $1, including their big bundles. That was crazy! I think a lot of the flash sales in mid-to-late November were spectacular, and I missed out on one that I'm still unhappy that I missed. The items will come around again; but they were there and the prices were great!

PerttiA said:

I bought that violin in March for $1.21, it's Daz+ so it will most likely be available cheaper than $2.99 next year, go for the Yeti.

Sounds like Yeti for the win! smiley

• PerttiA said:

Not a D+ member currently, but I usually dip my toe back in around March, so I will keep an eye out. And who knows, the violin may show up for free tomorrow.

I have Oso's owlbear (can't recall the model name), which is dForce as well and I never had any luck simulating it, but it still looked good in renders.

So I guess @Torquinox called it.

Thanks to both of you.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,844

PerttiA said:

Not a D+ member currently, but I usually dip my toe back in around March, so I will keep an eye out. And who knows, the violin may show up for free tomorrow.

I have Oso's owlbear (can't recall the model name), which is dForce as well and I never had any luck simulating it, but it still looked good in renders.

So I guess @Torquinox called it.

Thanks to both of you.

Here are renders of Yeti unsimulated and simulated from memorized pose. There isn't much difference - a little around the head mostly. 

Yeti unsimulated.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 476K
    Yeti simulated.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 475K
    edited December 2023

That looks cool either way, @barbult . Do enjoy the yeti, @miladyderyni_173d399f47

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,418

Torquinox said:

That looks cool either way, @barbult . Do enjoy the yeti, @miladyderyni_173d399f47

Not everything has the same value and benefit for everyone. If I plan to make a series with concert or opera motifs, the best yeti in the world is of no use to me. 

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

caravelle said:

Not everything has the same value and benefit for everyone. If I plan to make a series with concert or opera motifs, the best yeti in the world is of no use to me. 

??? No one's telling you to buy the yeti, caravelle.

Ninefold said:

caravelle said:

??? No one's telling you to buy the yeti, caravelle.

This^  Thank you @Ninefold .

• Darn it, people. Now you're making me want to render a yeti classical orchestra.

kcoady said:

Darn it, people. Now you're making me want to render a yeti classical orchestra.

I hope you have a good graphics card! An orchestra full of Yetis with dForce hair and instruments could take a toll. It would be cool, though.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...would instancing help? 

kyoto kid said:

...would instancing help? 

Only if they have exactly the same pose.

well for each individual section of the orchestra that could work..

• Torquinox said:

NorthOf45 said:

There were a few bundles in there that not without interest. What I did find interesting is that all of those products are (were) Sade's individual or collaborative efforts.

There was an I13 sale not long ago where everything was $1, including their big bundles. That was crazy! I think a lot of the flash sales in mid-to-late November were spectacular, and I missed out on one that I'm still unhappy that I missed. The items will come around again; but they were there and the prices were great!

Heck, last december there were lots of short-term flash sales, including one where you could get like three pro or mega bundles for five bucks each. There was reason to come back every couple hours.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 2023

kyoto kid said:

well for each individual section of the orchestra that could work..

this is where I love Unreal Engine, you can duplicate the characters holding alt and translate, then on the animation move the slider to different points to loop from, all while it treats it as a duplicate not a whole new skeletal mesh 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Korpin.SulatKorpin.Sulat Posts: 414
    edited December 2023

Get the billboard maker. Lifesaver when you need a ton of characters. (and it's relatively cheap right now)
    https://www.daz3d.com/billboard-builder

Post edited by Korpin.Sulat on
    edited December 2023

...ooh. hair and environments sales...and here I am at the end of the month pinching groszy¹.until next Wednesday.

(Curse you Comcast for the Yuletide "un-prezzie") angry

¹A Grosz is 0.01 Zloty (essentially a "penny" in Poland)

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • TomhipTomhip Posts: 328

kyoto kid said:

...ooh. hair and environments sales...and here I am at the end of the month pinching groszy¹.until next Wednesday.

(Curse you Comcast for the Yuletide "un-prezzie") angry

¹A Grosz is 0.01 Zloty (essentially a "penny" in Poland)

With the current inflation its closer to 0.001 :D

marcus.ames said:

Torquinox said:

NorthOf45 said:

Heck, last december there were lots of short-term flash sales, including one where you could get like three pro or mega bundles for five bucks each. There was reason to come back every couple hours.

Would be great if that happened now, but it doesn't seem to be on their schedule. Perhaps another time.

• kcoady said:

Darn it, people. Now you're making me want to render a yeti classical orchestra.

I really need to do some art from my game group's old superhero campaign. My ice themed heroine, upon retiring, returned to her old career as a musician and formed a band consisting of her (classically trained harpist), an ex-soldier (guitar/bass) with some minor superpower, and half a dozen alien refugees who were amateur musicians (assorted alien high tech instruments), including a fuzzy 4 armed percussionist. 

Now that I own the Yeti, all I need is an electronic percussion kit model. An electric harp, with straps, would be nice - but I don't know how to make models.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,437

Will this do? Electric Drum Kit

Starting to scrape bottom of the barrel for my store credit.... that usualy means there is a big sale coming :P

Tomhip said:

Starting to scrape bottom of the barrel for my store credit.... that usualy means there is a big sale coming :P

I've been out of store credit for most of this sale. The gift card offers with purchase requirements haven't been attractive to me. I've picked up a lot of nice PA freebies, though.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,158

barbult said:

kcoady said:

I hope you have a good graphics card! An orchestra full of Yetis with dForce hair and instruments could take a toll. It would be cool, though.

It could be done if the yetis were turnded into billboards, using Billboard Builder.

• lou_harper said:

barbult said:

kcoady said:

It could be done if the yetis were turnded into billboards, using Billboard Builder.

Yup, that's exactly what I said. Don't know about everyone else, but it's six bucks right now for me, and that's with no punches.

• ElorElor Posts: 1,096

marcus.ames said:

Yup, that's exactly what I said. Don't know about everyone else, but it's six bucks right now for me, and that's with no punches.

$13 if someone doesn't own the required plugin (which is likely, considering three products, including the one you're speaking about, are using this plugin).

Funniest thing happened now. The $2.99 advent calendar item I skipped showed up in Lightning deals for half of that.... wel thats more like it :P

edited December 2023

...wondering of the special Hair, Environments, and Critters sales will be just one day events.

Also wondered why the following showed up as my 2.99$ Calendar item as it's not nor ever been on my wishlist (it's part fo an armour bundle for just G8.1 released in 2022), and I still have a number of eligible products on my wishlist..

https://www.daz3d.com/mnyama-armour-mask-for-genesis-8.1-males ;

Post edited by kyoto kid on
This discussion has been closed.