There's Always Another Sale Thread -- Discussions Only Pt 2

Comments

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,776

doubledeviant said:

Some of the discounts today would be nice if they weren't tied to purchasing a specific new release. It's not a Daz Original being promoted, and two of the other releases are actually more expensive - why not at least give a choice between the three to activate the offers?

and pretty darn expensive too. its a great opportunity to clear some WL items, but not with those requirements, the pricing. I'm not sure I've ever seen an add like those expressions for that much $$$. 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

All I see is proof that I should have gone even further in on the March Madness sale. Madness! But another good sale will arrive in its own sweet time. Mostly, I'm annoyed because I let one really good deal get away and I forgot to put one of my most wanted items in my Easter cart. I wondered why I had room for so much other stuff. Now I know. Next time! I still got lots of good stuff, and I still have a fair amount of store credit. It's all good.

I still have 6 tokens. I hope I get to use them before they expire.

I guess, like other people, I'm going to watch for an opportunity to pour a little more store credit into my account. Hard to imagine I'll beat the 30% discount I got the last time, but maybe I can get close? That's up to Daz.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,289

I'm trying to figure out whether I'll be able to resist temptations and just wishlist things and save up money for the June sale...

Time will tell.

In the meantime, we can start Daz Shoppers (Not-So) Anonymous. "It's been exactly 0 days since I've bought anything on Daz."

Is June the next big sale? There will probably at least be a few entertaining flash sales between now and then.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,289

Torquinox said:

Is June the next big sale? There will probably at least be a few entertaining flash sales between now and then.

Yup. June is the Daz+ month. Usually a good month to extend your membership as well (I joined Daz+ for the first during this sale for the first time, lol).

And yes, I'm sure my "not buying anything until June" resolution will be quickly and brutally broken by some unexpected and irressistible sale. :D

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

joanna said:

Torquinox said:

Yup. June is the Daz+ month. Usually a good month to extend your membership as well (I joined Daz+ for the first during this sale for the first time, lol).

And yes, I'm sure my "not buying anything until June" resolution will be quickly and brutally broken by some unexpected and irressistible sale. :D

mine expires May 30, it would need to be a very heavy discount for me to renew 

I am ready to take a spending break again

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,300

Thanks to mal3Imagery and his new bundle I need another good Gift Card sale... wink

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438
    edited April 3

joanna said:

I'm trying to figure out whether I'll be able to resist temptations and just wishlist things and save up money for the June sale...

Time will tell.

In the meantime, we can start Daz Shoppers (Not-So) Anonymous. "It's been exactly 0 days since I've bought anything on Daz."

It's been a while, but... DAZaholic Anonymous meeting - the new binge

Okay, it's DAZ+ only, maybe a new one accessible to all...

Post edited by NorthOf45 on
  • doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,114
    edited April 4
    Two additional Hanako new releases are required for the full discount on the bundle, but of the two Daz Originals, one has editorial licensing...

So if we don't want useless editorial content, we have to choose the more expensive PA item - which also means a lesser discount from tokens for part of the purchase.

Between the pushing of editorial content and the AI nonsense, Daz is making it less and less appealing to spend money here. :|
    Post edited by doubledeviant on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

doubledeviant said:

Two additional Hanako new releases are required for the full discount on the bundle, but of the two Daz Originals, one has editorial licensing...

It says; "extra 50% off* with 2 other 'Hanako' New Releases or Featured Artist Store Items"

The two cheapest Featured artist Items are;
    https://www.daz3d.com/darling-poses-for-precious-deer
    https://www.daz3d.com/stand-tall-poses-for-monique-7

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,114
    PerttiA said:

doubledeviant said:

It says; "extra 50% off* with 2 other 'Hanako' New Releases or Featured Artist Store Items"

The two cheapest Featured artist Items are;
    https://www.daz3d.com/darling-poses-for-precious-deer
    https://www.daz3d.com/stand-tall-poses-for-monique-7

Thanks! The page is a bit of a jumble in portrait view on mobile - flipped over to landscape after reading your reply and it's much clearer, if still a bit awkward. Appreciate the heads up!

joanna said:

Torquinox said:

Thanks! I understand angel

edited April 4

doubledeviant said:

So if we don't want useless editorial content, we have to choose the more expensive PA item - which also means a lesser discount from tokens for part of the purchase.

Between the pushing of editorial content and the AI nonsense, Daz is making it less and less appealing to spend money here. :|

For me, Daz has always been about the big sales, the excellent discounts, and back catalog. The day-to-day stuff doesn't usually interest me. I can go weeks without buying anything. Today is exceptionally uninteresting to me. The AI is less a problem than it first seemed. I used my ad block plug-in to surgically remove the AI button from the navbar, the button from my account interface and the thread from the forum. I felt better immediately! The editorial stuff is just stuff I don't/won't buy.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • Hey, Daz! Cosplayers ARE NOT only cute (read "western cis male fantasy") young Asian women in sailor or maid outfits! Cosplayers come in all demographics and while a number do mostly/only anime, many do other genres.

Signed, Dowager Cosplayer & officer in well-known Star Wars cosplay club. Who has judged cosplay contests. Who will be happy to brag about her cosplayer daughter & son.

Thank you for listening to my TED rant.

• Torquinox said:

doubledeviant said:

For me, Daz has always been about the big sales, the excellent discounts, and back catalog. The day-to-day stuff doesn't usually interest me. I can go weeks without buying anything. Today is exceptionally uninteresting to me. The AI is less a problem than it first seemed. I used my ad block plug-in to surgically remove the AI button from the navbar, the button from my account interface and the thread from the forum. I felt better immediately! The editorial stuff is just stuff I don't/won't buy. 

Same here.

I wish I could find an ad block that worked with the Fire's Silk browser, or an alternative browser for Fire.  There used to be ad blocks and even Chrome for Fire but Amazon stopped allowing them in the store. No doubt Amazon was afraid people would be trying to make their tablet ad-free without paying the Ad-free Fire surcharge. But the only ads are the screen that comes up when the tablet turns on/wakes up, that you swipe away, and isn't part of the Silk browser. So not like **some forums** that have footer ads on every page, footer ads that mysteriously take up 1/4 to a full tablet page randomly. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,031

doubledeviant said:

Thanks for alerting me to the 'editorial content'. I am not buying the bundles, but put together a cart of the character, the HD, both hairs, head shapes, and makeup system. But I still checked everything for licenses. I have 20 tokens (crazy level) and applied 8 to the cart so it is down to $28.09 and can save my DAZ+ DO coupon for later in the month.

The outfits, well when I installed my DAZ content into my new computer, it was those type of outfits that were not installed from bundles I had bought in the past. I just don't need more. And in the case of the Alternate Shapes, well, I can do them by my shapes I own already. Nothing new there. 

Back to 'editorial content', I wish it was either not offered, or highlighted in red or bolded to stand out more. Especially for content one may not have general knowledge of.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 722

miladyderyni_173d399f47 said:

Hey, Daz! Cosplayers ARE NOT only cute (read "western cis male fantasy") young Asian women in sailor or maid outfits! Cosplayers come in all demographics and while a number do mostly/only anime, many do other genres.

Signed, Dowager Cosplayer & officer in well-known Star Wars cosplay club. Who has judged cosplay contests. Who will be happy to brag about her cosplayer daughter & son.

THANK YOU!!!!!

"The face of cosplay"... um, no. I know far more cosplayers who DON'T look like (or try to look like) that than those who do.

The face of cosplay is the face belonging to whomever decided to dress up and have some fun.

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,950

I see the titan clothing texture add-on is editorial license, but the regular set is not labeled as so. Is one of them a mistake? Or is the add-on based on something and the original set is able to skirt by with different colors? 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,776

$122 for the pro bundle? not happening. How low has anyone gotten it for - without coupons as I have none. 

edited April 4

benniewoodell said:

I see the titan clothing texture add-on is editorial license, but the regular set is not labeled as so. Is one of them a mistake? Or is the add-on based on something and the original set is able to skirt by with different colors? 

It's from the manga and anime Attack on Titan. The pattern for clothing items has been, Official colors and markings = Editorial License. Other colors and textures are fine, even if the outfit is the same. I wasn't going to buy it, anyway.

SilverGirl said:

Hey, Daz! Cosplayers ARE NOT only cute (read "western cis male fantasy") young Asian women in sailor or maid outfits! Cosplayers come in all demographics and while a number do mostly/only anime, many do other genres.

THANK YOU!!!!!

"The face of cosplay"... um, no. I know far more cosplayers who DON'T look like (or try to look like) that than those who do.

The face of cosplay is the face belonging to whomever decided to dress up and have some fun.

Haha! You both speak the truth.

edited April 4

Torquinox said:

The AI is less a problem than it first seemed. I used my ad block plug-in to surgically remove the AI button from the navbar, the button from my account interface and the thread from the forum. I felt better immediately! The editorial stuff is just stuff I don't/won't buy. 

Same here.

I wish I could find an ad block that worked with the Fire's Silk browser, or an alternative browser for Fire.  There used to be ad blocks and even Chrome for Fire but Amazon stopped allowing them in the store. No doubt Amazon was afraid people would be trying to make their tablet ad-free without paying the Ad-free Fire surcharge. But the only ads are the screen that comes up when the tablet turns on/wakes up, that you swipe away, and isn't part of the Silk browser. So not like **some forums** that have footer ads on every page, footer ads that mysteriously take up 1/4 to a full tablet page randomly. 

Mobile browsers are a problem! No plugins. IIRC, Google started that on Android Chrome and everyone else followed suit. Possibly, Google forced the issue as they own Android. I try to do most of my browsing from my PC where I have all the plug-ins. On my phone, FF gives pretty good protection vs ads, but I can't surgically remove page elements. I don't know anything about the Fire tablet or Silk browser. I stay as far away as possible from all things Amazon.

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,950

Torquinox said:

benniewoodell said:

It's from the manga and anime Attack on Titan. The pattern for clothing items has been, Official colors and markings = Editorial License. Other colors and textures are fine, even if the outfit is the same. I wasn't going to buy it, anyway.

Oh, okay thanks for clearing that up. I've had that anime on my crunchyroll watchlist for years now but was waiting for the whole thing to finish up before watching it. I like the outfit itself so I just wanted to make sure because I will not buy something that has an editorial license. If the regular one is fine, I'll probably snag it then. Thanks! 

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 387

Glad some other people came in to get justifiably salty about the "face of cosplay" line. I was wondering if it was just me that was annoyed.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,390

daveso said:

$122 for the pro bundle? not happening. How low has anyone gotten it for - without coupons as I have none. 

I got it down to $33.69 with some items from the Featured Artist Stores.

Total cart was $39.83

benniewoodell said:

Oh, okay thanks for clearing that up. I've had that anime on my crunchyroll watchlist for years now but was waiting for the whole thing to finish up before watching it. I like the outfit itself so I just wanted to make sure because I will not buy something that has an editorial license. If the regular one is fine, I'll probably snag it then. Thanks! 

Cool! Yes, Attack on Titan is well worth a look, some weird & gross stuff there! The outfit is nice. I would still be cautious with some of them.  An x-winger outfit still looks like an x-winger outfit regardless of color. But there are no shortage of lightsabers other such things in the store without an EL. So, IDK. YMMV. In this case, I'd say, enjoy the outfit! laugh

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Robert Freise said:

daveso said:

Total cart was $39.83

Using all the available discounts, the Pro bundle comes down to $24.77

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 387

Robert Freise said:

daveso said:

Total cart was $39.83

One of the things about recent exorbitant pricing is that the initial prices piss me off so much that I am not inclined to go hunt for bargains; I just walk away from the site and compose hatemail to Daz in my head. Today I didn't even bother to go see whether there were some cheap items in the featured artist stores I could combine with one of the overpriced new releases to get everything down to what I consider a sane level. So thanks, Robert, for reminding me of that.

With three "flashback" items in the cart (I love the "flashback" and "legacy" categories because they tend to contain stuff I actually use at price points I'll actually pay), the cost of the Hanako starter bundle in cart (which happens to, for once, be all the parts I actually want and none of the stuff I don't) falls to $34.30 ... which is still not fabulous, but it's worlds better than the $68.59 it currently shows on page. I'll throw six tokens at my cart and see what happens.

Mind you, I still think this is appalling practice: Price your new items so high that people have to buy more stuff in order to get those prices down to what they should have been in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.