virtual penny 4 yor carrara thoughts ?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

wgdjohn said:

I felt a disturbance in the force... oh yeah... prolly just MistyMist with all dem cores.

may the cores be with you  smiley

edited July 2016

thinkin laying out a cit plan, carrara the best app for it smiley

will need a section for the palace, palace grounds, horse and dragons stables.
    a section for the nightlife, dance clubs, paths and lil pond bridges for romantic walks.
    family friendly sections.
    port for vtols

apts and cottage bungalows, a suburbs mebbe
    a slumming area.

a fusion between Futurama and Zelda ??  

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited July 2016

thinkin - i like to start every carrara session with a lil more knowlege than the last session.  

gettin stuck at the same spots is no joy  lol

watched the puppeteer tutt, ready to give it a go, but no ideas how to assimilate into my workflow.

need variety in walking gates, arm swing movement (unless riverdancing, lol)  
    thinking puppeteer could make it painless 

Absorption and In-scattering

playing with the grenade file, smiley learned theres a modifier on camera - target tracking  

wearing my glasses, sees the output tb haz a checkbox for something called - correct layer blend mode

3DAGE said:

HI Misty :)

Yes,. they're all being lobbed ,. with different force values , and some changes in friction and bounce.

The Initial velocity  allows you to set the force values for X,Y, Z ,.. so you can send it flying in any direction,. with as much force as you want,.

Here's the scene file, and texture maps ,. so you can play and experiment with physics.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Grenade_1.zip

The camera and lights are set up to follow the grenade, wherever it goes,. so you can just hit the simulate physics button,. and watch the sim,. then try adjusting the Initial Velocity forces, and Initial angular forces ,. or add some objects to the scene for the grenade to collide with,. 

rendered it,   

thanks!   

the timing of it looks natural, timing a tricky thing >.<

zip
    zip
    Grenade_1.mp4.zip
    2M
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    3DAGE said:

quick test of Initial velocity and angular velocity .

I had fun doing these examples physics is fun,. :)  .. I added the Ring-pull and pin to the main model,. then decided to separate that as a new vertex model,, make it's motion "physics". parent it to the grenade,. and use constraints (ball joint - Limited on all axes) to limit it's rotation ,. so it's reacting to the physics.

Andy!

I love how the ring (using constraints and physics) actually lifts the tip of the grenade jar when in just the right position due to where it lands due to the physics! So cool that you've thought to set it up that way! Love it!

MistyMist said:

thinkin ...

is there an easy workflow for my next proj?

wantta break down hapsburg by building, save a building so that when i load it again will be centered.

want to rearrange buildings and streets for my rpg-ish town

I didn't readily see an answer for this... so I'll chime in ;)

I do this stuff a lot for creating scenes to my needs. I don't (yet) have Harpsburg, but if the buildings show up individually in the instances tray, yeah... no problem. Here's how I would do stuff like this with other Howie Farkes sets, even a few of Stonemason's and others:

I plan on opening the main file and making changes that I'm not going to save back into that main file... just a disclaimer! If trouble should happen to occur due to an accidental saving of the original, main file, simply download the product again and install fresh.

Before we begin, it's good to create a folder in your browser for saving these individual models to. I always use the method I discuss in this article:

Your Carrara Browser
    Making great stuff isn't as cool if you can't remember where you put it. Let's get some good habits going right from the start

So I've opened the scene file and I have a place in my browser to store my individual elements to.

- Select the first building to save out individually

- Edit > Center Hotpoint, and then press CapsLock and move the hotpoint down to the ground, press CapsLock again to unlock cAPS

- Edit > Send to Origin, will now center the item at point 0,0,0 (x,y,z) of the scene - just the way I'd like it to load back in

- Make sure the shaders of this particular item are set how I want them

- Finally, Drag the item into the Browser location I've decided upon earlier, name the item, hit Ok

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've done this with soime of Howie's environment scenes, like Stoney Creek, for example, as well as Stonemason's Enchanted Forest, which is great for adding individual elements to nature scenes to give them a bit more detail. 

By dragging them into the browser like that, we're actually only storing the actual item and its resources, like textures and anything that might be parented to it. This is handy so that, when it's loaded into a scene, we don't also have a light and camera coming along with it. 

The nice part about doing it this way is that we can save off any, even all, of the elements of a scene individually, without having to re-open the file over and over again - like what we'd need to do if we simply deleted everything except what we want to save, and then Save As.

In the Stonemason's Enchanted Forest example, I not only saved all of the trees (individuals and background clumps), flowers, vines, ferns, etc., but also the skydome and ground. The skydome is now very useful for any deep woods type of scene - as are all of the other elements I've saved off from that product.

In the Stoney Creek example, I've saved off everything as well - even the Fake GI, canopies, rocks, river, all sizes and types of tree... everything.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Dart, I've a few questions about things that you mentioned but will not ask them here and bore everyone... where should I ask them? Your "Carrara Information Manaul"?

I do want to address the naming method you have for the new versions of each building etc, of any product. What I always do is to re-name them to filename_mod or _m. Any other version of the same build building etc I would name filename_mod2... if I were to make any changes to... say I changed the Shader, added to or remodeled it. Are you keeping the same name or renaming it?

If I save something back to its original directory, and that something is my own edited version, I ALWAYS give it a unique new name.

I don't really have hard and fast rules for naming conventions that I use for everything. It just depends upon what's going on. For example, evilproducer made a really cool refracting water shader that he shares with everyone via ShareCG. If I were to put that in my main Water directory in my browser, I'd call it something like: EP's Refracting Water but if it was something that I made up myself, I might call it dB Water - Refract01 or something... guessing that I might make more versions of it.

For Misty's question as an example, I would instead make the actual folder the unique thing. This way, I could keep the same names as what Howie himself uses in the scene - so I have the original scene as a control device to know which building I'm looking for, when I go into my library to grab it - like Bldg 3 - PostOffice, for example - or whatever. It also saves a lot of time when saving them to the browser - no need to think up and type a new name ;)

Does that help?

i tend to name folders after chapters scenes. sometimes it means i have multiple copies of some stuff.
    in chapter notes, i'll make a note of the folder.  learned my lesson the hard way.  lol.  trying to find a scene from 3 computers ago.  finally found it. it was called the Guardhouse.

Dart, I'd not been saving anything to the browser in earlier versions of Carrara until 8.5 after watching your Shader Tutorial more by you and a few others as well as PhilW's of course. Didn't think there was a strick rule in Carrara. I tend to create a directory like WGD instead of "my shaders", same for objects etc, for myself then create subfolders under it... water, glass et al. For products from other folks I'll have the same setup as OP, other folks, and sub folders. Hadn't yet set this up like I want it.

Misty, interesting... glad you found the Gardhouse... not you can keep an eye out for intruders. :)

old  poser prop, needs some bumps setup. >.<

I set up an external carrara library for the sets not part of the original ca content d/l.  

TP skies and domes gets own library smiley CAlibTP

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

Toilet paper skies?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

oops Sorry Tim blush

I love that bundle! Even though I really enjoy making my owm, that set is truly handy to have! I also have Ringo's.

MistyMist said:

i tend to name folders after chapters scenes. sometimes it means i have multiple copies of some stuff.
    in chapter notes, i'll make a note of the folder.  learned my lesson the hard way.  lol.  trying to find a scene from 3 computers ago.  finally found it. it was called the Guardhouse.

Me too. Episodes, Chapters... same principle ;)  Yeah, I have chapter folders inside my episode folders.

Yet, I also have other ways as well - ones that haven't been assigned to part of any specific episode or chapter, since some of these stages will (or might) be used for more than one episode - some being reused throughout the whole series, etc.,

So I save them very much the way my EnvironKits' are set up, except in the My Documents > Daz3D > Carrara 8.5 > My Presets folder instead of the installation directory. These types of saves are mostly more broad or vague - base scenes, elements for scenes (like in the topic that started this all off - saving out individual elements of a complete scene product), effects that I create for use in many other shots - including particles setups, fire or cloud setups, etc., individual characters, sets of background actors, specific types of animal, monster, person, vehicles... I save a lot of stuff to my "My Objects" folder, under a good many folders which create a whole browser within my browser. 

Speaking of the EnvironKits, which came with a plethora of various presets that I wanted to provide to give good examples of how the individual elements of each kit can combine nicely to make different styles of base scenes - and at different times of day:

When I use those kits to make more presets for my own use, I save those back under the main heading of the base that they came from. For example, instead of saving my new Woodlands based scene preset under Realistic Sky or Background Map, I just save it under Woodlands, and create a new folder for it, so that I can keep the generic name of Base Scene Day, or similar.

It is when I add content scenery, like buildings, bridges, star ships, etc., when I save them into my My Objects system within the My Documents > Daz3D > Carrara 8.5 > My Presets.

I love that bundle! Even though I really enjoy making my owm, that set is truly handy to have! I also have Ringo's.

I also love inspiration, advice, tutorials, etc., from the artist whom made them all: Tim Payne!

There's a wonderful freebie at Carrara Cafe by Tim "Sunbeams Example for Carrara 8", which is an excellent read along with a superb example scene of a good setup for showing off the effect - another file I keep in my browser within my Effects category within the system I just mentioned a post ago.

Tim used to have an excellent thread in the old Carrara forums regarding realistic skies, which is wahere I first bacame inspired to use the realistic sky system. Prior to that I mostly used skydomes. Once I realized that the RSE also includes the wonderful atmosphere system that it has, I've been hard-pressed to get myself to not use it.

Sometimes I use the RSE (Realistic Sky Editor) even if the sky won't be visible in the scene - just for the atosphere that comes with it for free! ;)

edited July 2016

i'se a fan of rara skies!   many hours of experimenting with animating the cloud layers and adjusting the layer heights.

not found the right combo of settings, but feel i'm profressing smiley  + rainbows!

http://orig03.deviantart.net/4d0e/f/2016/051/c/7/flight_test_sound_by_realmgal-d9sin80.mp4

added a tree testing the tree dynamics
    http://orig11.deviantart.net/a32f/f/2016/045/3/3/141_a10_flight_test_carrara_by_realmgal-d9rswve.mp4

fun stuff.  better with air conditioning  lol

not progressing so much with aiko blinks  doh
    this was where i left off.  needs more expriments
    http://orig08.deviantart.net/f148/f/2016/050/b/2/sarina_by_realmgal-d9scv6v.mp4

edited July 2016

lol.

lovely tuttorials in the Tim Payne skies.  taught me how to add folders to the misc tab.  had no idea had to identify folder content type to carrara.
    between atmos and bg, had to put in own library, was too much to remember.  i been slowly saving presets to match up the skies, with lights, ones with domes, ones without the domes. presets with the ground lights

bought them both in one of the major sales.

oh yeah, pa sale comin up, should be end of august, 

when i clickon Tim's store i see 1 out of 7.  
    Monolithic Supercomputers

a big part of what i want to anomate, showing dragons and ships breaking above through cloud layers and to orbit, and into inter stellar traffic.  would like to show it all in one smooth ani

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Sounds like you have ambitious animation plans!  Great experiments so far. Just a suggestion on your character anim, if you use Bezier tweeners rather than linear, it gives more natural movement and blends between each phase of the animation, at the moment the animation jerks when ir hits a keyframe.

PhilW said:

Sounds like you have ambitious animation plans!  Great experiments so far. Just a suggestion on your character anim, if you use Bezier tweeners rather than linear, it gives more natural movement and blends between each phase of the animation, at the moment the animation jerks when ir hits a keyframe.

thanks!   tweeners!

the next question to test - is puppeteer for poses only or does morphs also

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited July 2016

I'm pretty sure it does morphs as well, but it will only take a few minutes to test.  I haven't used it much and always struggled to get more than 3-4 frames per second recorded. But it occured to me that you can record a "slow motion" version of what you want and then use Ctrl-drag on the timeline to give it the timing you need.  I think timing is one of those things that is most difficult to get right in animation.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Those sky animations look great.  Love the space ships through the clouds.

Exactly... Bezier = Better. See PhilW's Carrara 8.5 Tutorial Video I believe it's covered in 10. Animating/1003 Tweeners which decribe all the different tweener options. Just watched it again a few days ago... the entire video is helpful of course.

dunno what to do first.  turnin on computer in this hott >.<

it's hott omg, moving like molasses. 

'slow as molasses' is a real thing.  dont even like molasses.  many a gingerman cookies ruined by molasses

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    wgdjohn said:

Exactly... Bezier = Better.

OK, if the keyframes are placed just in the middle of two others keyframes if not, you can have bad surprise.
    It will then be necessary to use the graph editor to soften the transitions.

do graph editor and puppeteer go together in a workflow?

thanks! 

i really need to make a todo list, waste so much time deciding what to next
    need to learn the mechanics til it's second nature, so i can concentrate on the portraying part